THE BROWNS BOARD

Christian "morality"; Pastor refuses dying man a funeral because his son is gay

jbluhm86

55 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

What stupid meme.

You could also say..but for evil people to do good things, that takes religion.

How many times have we heard stories of hardened criminals and ex-cons take up reading the bible and "finding God"?  Petty thieves and drug addicts too. That meme is asinine.

Is that why the media don't cover the Black on White crimes? They are afraid that people will put down all Blacks from the actions of a couple? As far as I am concerned the Media played a huge hand in making people not like Muslims, Not even talking about 9/11, how many shows and movies came out making a Muslim be the 1 that wants to kill Americans? There were more than a few, I have a couple Muslim Friends that live in Wheeling W.V. and the only thing they worship is Pussy. Never go to Church or pray to anything and they never even heard of Osami Bin Laden until after 9/11. I met their families as well and none of them seemed to give a shit about praying. 

At first glance this seems worse than it is. It seems like the church is just being bigoted, cold  and heartless in denying a dying man's last wish. It is not however that they want to refuse the man a funeral in their church it is the demand that the openly gay son participate in the funeral in the sanctuary of their church. Let's say the church wouldn't let the son participate in the funeral because he was openly committing adultery. Would there be a big outcry? Probably not, yet that is an accurate comparison. Just because the government says homosexuality is a civil right the bible still teaches that it is no more of a civil right than adultery is a civil right. Most bible believing churches I know of don't disallow gays to attend their church but they do not allow them in any type of leadership or ministry and the reason is because they are they are living a lifestyle the bible expressly forbids. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Have to appease sky wizard.

In the Christian faith God never uses force. What God does (among other things)  is offer life after physical death to those who want it, but if you do want what is offered He does set the rules. You always have the option to "opt out" which is the decision you made (for now anyway). So (and this is a fact you have to admit) you will live a very short life at best (even if you live to be over 100, what is that compared to eternity?) and then go into a nothingness forever (and that is at best believing there is no place called hell). 

I took the deal  (lifeline) God offered and it was the best decision I ever made. I can say that I have lived this life to the fullest and God has saved the best for last...my future looks a whole lot brighter. And what did I have to give up for this deal? Nothing. It wasn't subtraction it was addition. 

9 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

You always have the option to "opt out" which is the decision you made (for now anyway).

I took the deal  (lifeline) God offered and it was the best decision I ever made.

LOL! I think you forgot that you had no decision in this at all. God predestined you.  Remember from our prior discussion?😂

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! I think you forgot that you had no decision in this at all. God predestined you.  Remember from our prior discussion?😂

I'm glad you were paying attention Tex. Probably the best answer I heard to that was a minister who would reply "the door to the ark is open, get inside, get in the boat". It is not that we do not have free will but if God knows the future then he would know the decisions we will make. I don't see how you can get around that. If you are concerned about not being one of the elect you could do something right now to fix that couldn't you if you wanted to? Get in the boat.

21 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

In the Christian faith God never uses force. What God does (among other things)  is offer life after physical death to those who want it, but if you do want what is offered He does set the rules. You always have the option to "opt out" which is the decision you made (for now anyway). So (and this is a fact you have to admit) you will live a very short life at best (even if you live to be over 100, what is that compared to eternity?) and then go into a nothingness forever (and that is at best believing there is no place called hell). 

I took the deal  (lifeline) God offered and it was the best decision I ever made. I can say that I have lived this life to the fullest and God has saved the best for last...my future looks a whole lot brighter. And what did I have to give up for this deal? Nothing. It wasn't subtraction it was addition. 

Or I spend my limited time on the Earth trying to make the most of it, not constrained by rules created by sand merchants from 2000 years ago.

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Or I spend my limited time on the Earth trying to make the most of it, not constrained by rules created by sand merchants from 2000 years ago.

I made the most of my life. How many people can look back on their life and say they have no regrets? I can say that. So not only have I lived the best life possible in this life I have that future hope that you do not have.

Are there some constraints as a believer. Yes. We have a huge amount of freedom in our faith but it is freedom within a fence. My dog has total freedom in our house and she has a large fenced in back yard to roam. She is safe that way but if she gets out of the fence she could get hit by a car or attacked by another dog or stolen or any number of things. I am convinced the limited restraints we have are for our own good.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I'm glad you were paying attention Tex. Probably the best answer I heard to that was a minister who would reply "the door to the ark is open, get inside, get in the boat". Is is not that we do not have free will but if God knows the future then he would know the decisions we will make. I don't see how you can get around that. If you are concerned about not being one of the elect you could do something right now to fix that couldn't you if you wanted to? Get in the boat.

Oh I've been in the boat a long, long time, but I don't believe in predestination or election at all. And I don't believe in hell either. I come by that honestly. One of my great great grandfathers wrote a 35 page treatise on the ridiculousness of a vengeful God who is supposed to be all loving way back in about 1840. He made many of the arguments about predestination that I make in fact. Why would you create a hell for beings that you create that are predestined to be there? Makes zero sense. Don't inflict them on the rest of us. Just send them straight there. They don't have free will anyway. He entitled it "Vindictive Punishment".😁

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I made the most of my life. How many people can look back on their life and say they have no regrets? I can say that. So not only have I lived the best life possible in this life I have that future hope that you do not have.

But now you are in big trouble by supporting the anti-Christ.😘 Better start getting in those regrets right away.😁

5 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Are there some constraints as a believer. Yes. We have a huge amount of freedom in our faith but it is freedom within a fence. My dog has total freedom in our house and she has a large fenced in back yard to roam. She is safe that way but if she gets out of the fence she could get hit by a car or attacked by another dog or stolen or any number of things. I am convinced the limited restraints we have are for our own good.

Comparing the religious to an easily lead house pet is something I think even Richard Dawkins would have avoided.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh I've been in the boat a long, long time, but I don't believe in predestination or election at all. And I don't believe in hell either. I come by that honestly. One of my great great grandfathers wrote a 35 page treatise on the ridiculousness of a vengeful God who is supposed to be all loving way back in about 1840. He made many of the arguments about predestination that I make in fact. Why would you create a hell for beings that you create that are predestined to be there? Makes zero sense. Don't inflict them on the rest of us. Just send them straight there. They don't have free will anyway. He entitled it "Vindictive Punishment".😁

But now you are in big trouble by supporting the anti-Christ.😘 Better start getting in those regrets right away.😁

The hell the bible speaks of was never meant for human beings it was meant for satan and demonic beings. What most people don't understand is that people don't go to hell because of what they do, they go to hell because of what they are. Spiritually dead. They go to hell with their eyes wide open because they preferred hell to heaven. If the bible is correct the part of humans created in the image of God is the spirit part and that part (like God) was meant to last eternally. We die physically but our spirits live on and God has created a place for those eternal spirits after death. Either with Him or eternally separated from Him. No matter what hell is like eternal separation from God is enough for me to want to avoid it, I don't need the flames, worms and sulfur the bible speaks about. 

7 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Comparing the religious to an easily lead house pet is something I think even Richard Dawkins would have avoided.

Compared to God we are like sheep (and He is the "good" Shephard) and that comparison is accurate...I humble myself and admit it.

16 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Either with Him or eternally separated from Him. No matter what hell is like eternal separation from God is enough for me to want to avoid it, I don't need the flames, worms and sulfur the bible speaks about. 

Hot damn in that we are in agreement. And I was not predestined to believe it either.🤠

43 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The employees here at Sky Wizard Inc. appreciate your compliance and especially your financial donations.

Just leave the money on top of the TV when the Rev completes the sermon.🙏

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Compared to God we are like sheep (and He is the "good" Shephard) and that comparison is accurate...I humble myself and admit it.

I've never liked the analogy of God being a "good shepherd" and referring to my fellow humans as "sheep", because shepherds never tend to flocks out of the goodness of their hearts; shepherds tend to keep sheep in order to fleece, fuck or fix them for dinner.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

At first glance this seems worse than it is. It seems like the church is just being bigoted, cold  and heartless in denying a dying man's last wish. It is not however that they want to refuse the man a funeral in their church it is the demand that the openly gay son participate in the funeral in the sanctuary of their church. Let's say the church wouldn't let the son participate in the funeral because he was openly committing adultery. Would there be a big outcry? Probably not, yet that is an accurate comparison. Just because the government says homosexuality is a civil right the bible still teaches that it is no more of a civil right than adultery is a civil right. Most bible believing churches I know of don't disallow gays to attend their church but they do not allow them in any type of leadership or ministry and the reason is because they are they are living a lifestyle the bible expressly forbids. 

I think you just demonstrated Dr. Weinberg's point. Only the blindly religious would have the audacity to rationalize such behaviour. For shame.

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

I think you just demonstrated Dr. Weinberg's point. Only the blindly religious would have the audacity to rationalize such behaviour. For shame.

I always loved Israel and the Jewish people but if my dying wish was to have my funeral in a synagogue with my Christian son singing a Christian song and I get denied my request, I'm not taking offense to that. 

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

yeeesh

careful you don't start doing anything too radical like asking questions...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1