THE BROWNS BOARD

What games are you attending?

ballpeen

On 7/25/2019 at 12:03 AM, calfoxwc said:

I hope to go to the worst blizzard game in december.  Two feet of snow, wind roaring... man, I love those games....

😄 Thatta boy!  

I'll never forget driving from Roch-cha-cha-chach-ester (still shivering) in a blizzard to the post season playoff victory over the Buffalo Bills.  They can blame Ronnie's Harmons all they want; but someone should have known how dangerous Eric Metcalf was in the return game.  Jim Croce once said "You don't tug on Superman's cape."  Jim Kelly said "Oh yeah?  Watch me!"  We did; and Clay Matthews intercepted him at the 2 yard line to seal the deal for us. 

We sure played in a lot of playoff games after we drafted Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome in the first round of 1978 while participating in 3 Conference Championships during their tenures.  It's a shame only 1 of those very reliable leaders made it to the HOF.  As Pro Bowl Guard Joe DeLamielleure said "he not only played all 4 LBers positions for us - but he did it at an extremely high level."  Same guy at a Browns Backers Banquet was asked who was his biggest challenge o block was?  Without hesitation, Joe D said "Clay Matthews is the toughest SOB I've ever played against."  But what would a Pro Bowl Guard know more than the media about the type of criteria that should be weighed for NFL HOF Selection process?  It gave me such warm fuzzies all over to see the NFL HOF process on their knees going bobble head doll on TO's groin.  What a teammate!  What a leader!  He totally deserved to be inducted for the NFL HOF at a place he preferred to the NFL HOF of course.  Still keeping that "I before team"  attitude with him to the gold jacket he now tarnishes.  When Me-O started mouthing off, that would have been a good time to say "You're right punk.  We'll give it to someone that was willing to sacrifice glamor boy stats putting the team before the self.  This was done without pointing fingers at teammates during adversity or temper tantrums on the sidelines. Welcome to the NFL Hall of Fame Clay Matthews." 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.  My former college roommate called me last week. Made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Seems his son lives just outside of Boston, and got 4 freebie tickets to the game.  Road trip to New England to see the Browns play the Patriots for the price of a $200 plane ticket. Everything else covered except beer at the stadium.  :)  

• Upvote 3

I live in MD, so I usually get to the Raven's game here and I also usually fly into Cleveland for the home opener. I can get flights from BWI to Columbus for $49-69 each way (my bro-in law lives there so I drive up on Saturday for the car ride company  with him and we always stay at Doubletree on Lakeside, good wings and pizza there).

53 minutes ago, Dawg in MD said:

I live in MD, so I usually get to the Raven's game here and I also usually fly into Cleveland for the home opener. I can get flights from BWI to Columbus for $49-69 each way (my bro-in law lives there so I drive up on Saturday for the car ride company  with him and we always stay at Doubletree on Lakeside, good wings and pizza there).

Keep your eyes open for the details on the annual Board reunion Tailgate bash, it's  going to be on the opener  this year. All welcome.