THE BROWNS BOARD

** Browns Training Camp 2019

gumby73

56 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I gotta confess.  I traded in everything I ever learned about football for the world according to Mary Kay Cabot.   It's been an amazing transformation. I never had any idea that footballs are slippery when wet.  If it wasn't for Mary Kay Cabot, I would have never understood why Jim Brown scored more TDs than Gene Hickerson and other Offensive Guards for that matter.  She even got me up to speed that defensive players are supposed to tackle people but a lot of our defensive players in the new millennium have been unable to do so.  And did you know it wasn't Legally Blonde's Elle Woods or any of our coaches dating back to Paul Brown that came up with the "Bend and Snap?"  It was Mary Kay Cabot; and I'm just a blind man in the bleachers without her.

Plus 50 funny points for mentioning the bend and snap. 

I'm really digging this camp so far! Kitchens seems like he's deadly serious about practice, and I LIKE it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I gotta confess.  I traded in everything I ever learned about football for the world according to Mary Kay Cabot.   It's been an amazing transformation. I never had any idea that footballs are slippery when wet.  If it wasn't for Mary Kay Cabot, I would have never understood why Jim Brown scored more TDs than Gene Hickerson and other Offensive Guards for that matter.  She even got me up to speed that defensive players are supposed to tackle people but a lot of our defensive players in the new millennium have been unable to do so.  And did you know it wasn't Legally Blonde's Elle Woods or any of our coaches dating back to Paul Brown that came up with the "Bend and Snap?"  It was Mary Kay Cabot; and I'm just a blind man in the bleachers without her.

Are you saying that Mary Kay has perky boobs?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

The article states that the running game was pretty much stuffed.  Does that mean that our defense is really good or is our OL not good.  We'll probably gauge that better when we get to practicing against the Colts.  (It IS the Colts that we practice against, right?)

I didn't see it that way.  Granted the explosive runs weren't there, which is a good indicator of the defense.  But the methodical yardage had its moments between Chubb and Hilliard.  The- not--flashy early down 3 and 4 yard carries still worked.  Which I was ok seeing today.   Shows the dline is getting it done and we're commited to grinding things out without big gains. Even with the Oline still trying to find its best 5 and rhythm.   

• Thanks 1

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/07/27/freddie-kitchens-is-driving-the-bus-now-so-healthy-players-wear-full-uniforms-and-spend-practice-with-teammates/

A bit of a write up on Kitchen’s twist on the “pitch count” for vet players. He apparently likes his healthy players in uniforms and being involved with their teammates throughout all sessions whether they participate in certain drills or not. He’s not a fan of the stationary bike. 

Not a bad idea methinks. Keeps everyone involved and gives the vets a chance to offer insight to the younger dudes instead of pedaling away in the distance.

• Like 1

So we finished up camp day 4 with a dust up between Pharoah Brown & Chad Thomas 🥊Freddie has whole team line-up for some old HS gassers..Chad Thomas flips off a fan for telling Chad to "hustle":o both kickers miss game winning practice kicks & am waiting for Freddie to hit the mic 🎤(edit--Ogun than Richardson two good pressers,Ogun ain't scared of getting any DT.."that just boosted my level" Richardson is a real fun jokester..than a Jimmy & Dee sighting at presser..no freddie presser yet,seems to be handling some biz? So am out..windows & siding cleanup from last week..👀 great!!)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm willing to concede that perhaps this oline will give results greater than the sum of it's parts. 

The best thing this OL has going for it is a decisive Baker Mayfield distributing the ball in under 2 seconds... BUT... we have to be able to run to set up PAP.

Second best?  A tough running RB with speed and decisiveness.

They are why we can produce with lesser OTs when it comes to PassPro... BUT... they, and especially their inside comrades, have to establish the run sans Zeitler.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm really digging this camp so far! Kitchens seems like he's deadly serious about practice, and I LIKE it. 

Really interesting read today on Freddie's use of analytics to fuel his emphasis on where "the line" is in practicing and how going over the line is why players are most often hurt in the opening five days of Camp followed by the first 8 to 10 day period.

Apparently Takitaki is becoming an expert in Camp injury stats after all the lectures on "control" he's been getting...

The first five days of camp give plenty of reasons to make a coach nervous.

The injury data, cultivated from years and years of analysis of training camps across the league, is near the top.

Freddie Kitchens gave one of his longest answers of the day Friday when he was asked about certain players being on "pitch counts" during this portion of training camp. Clearly, it's something that was on the top of his mind.

"Most injuries occur in the first five days of training camp and if you want to extend it even more, it is the first eight to 10 days of training camp," Kitchens said. "So, we are trying to be conscious of that. There is only one way to get in football condition and that is actually playing football. I do not really care what they have done until they put pads on and they start running routes on a consistent basis and getting in huddle and running more routes. They never build endurance.

"The difference between endurance and being in shape is continuing to play over and over and over again to continue to play plays and not coming out. That is how you build endurance. And once you have endurance you can eliminate injuries. Yes, a bunch of our guys are on kind of pitch counts right now, just from the standpoint of we understand that that is the most immediate threat to injury, is these first five to eight days. Soft tissue injuries."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/brownscamp-daily-greedy-williams-impresses-jarvis-landry-s-wow-moment-and-damari

• Upvote 1

Genard Avery sat out with a ankle injury..Donnie Lewis jr was out with a foot injury..nobody from presser asked Freddie about either 🤔 a fan sitting in the section where the bird flew..said they all got a good laugh 😆

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The best thing this OL has going for it is a decisive Baker Mayfield distributing the ball in under 2 seconds... BUT... we have to be able to run to set up PAP.

Second best?  A tough running RB with speed and decisiveness.

They are why we can produce with lesser OTs when it comes to PassPro... BUT... they, and especially their inside comrades, have to establish the run sans Zeitler.

This was actually what I was kicking around in my head yesterday (as I posted such).  

The reason the Oline works is because we have the receivers, the running game, and what looks like a competent interior enough to facilitate the ball action game.  In drills it's a rough looking group.  On the field? - They can be adequate.   Where do we run into problems?  When you ask Baker and this Oline to start moving the chains on 3rd and 6+ off straight drops.     The Bakester is showing improvement, but at times he still has a penchant for getting wild with it.   Either it's something sweet or it's something like the first half of the Texans game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

More bottom of roster movement due to injury..Center just signed monday from Utah Lo Falemaka was released w/injury designation(shoulder). Dorsey brings in another Center with playing both guards in his background..Say hello to a Richmond Spider, 3 year starting C/G John Yarbrough..a bears cut at rookie mini camp.. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

More bottom of roster movement due to injury.

We can call him bro if he makes the team.

The Cleveland Browns have signed C John Yarbrough. To make room on the roster, the team waived C Lo Falemaka (shoulder) with an injury designation.

Yarbrough (6-4, 302) is an undrafted rookie out of Richmond and played in 39 career games with 28 starts. A 2018 All-CAA second-team selection, Yarbrough helped protect an offense that threw for 2,906 yards and 15 touchdowns, while rushing for 1,206 yards. He’s a native of Homewood, Ala.

I like the idea of the puppy pound and puppies being adopted.  

If that Guisepee guy is dropping passes, then he might as well just leave now.  He was the longest of longshots to start with.

Looks and sounds like DeValve got a concussion...

can confirm that it is early. can confirm the defensive depth chart, worries me more than the offensive chart, but it's only 5 camp days in..  https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/07/dd12330442234/cleveland-browns-depth-chart-biggest-surprises-and-questions-after-five-days-of-camp.html    Edit---always been a big fan of players background stories..check out Kyle Kalis's--  https://www.brownszone.com/2019/07/30/dream-intersects-with-cold-hard-reality-as-st-eds-alum-kyle-kalis-latches-on-with-browns/           

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Unfortunate, and I wonder if the kid's days in Cleveland are coming to an end. 

Yeah, he's been off the field more than on since he's been here & I think his days are numbered here, but I thought that LAST year. Who knows?

Mike

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I think his days are numbered here, but I thought that LAST year

...he's an enigma.  

He was drafted by Sashi (the guy that our GM said didn't get any real football players).  Kitchens wasn't part of the organization then.  He's not tied to anyone.  He hasn't really done much.  He's like a Cheerio floating in the milk....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Orion said:

...he's an enigma.  

He was drafted by Sashi (the guy that our GM said didn't get any real football players).  Kitchens wasn't part of the organization then.  He's not tied to anyone.  He hasn't really done much.  He's like a Cheerio floating in the milk....

Brass tacks. I’d like to think we’re finally at the point of acceptance, where who drafted who is less important than who we have and where we are. I guess we’ll see

23 hours ago, Orion said:

...he's an enigma.  

Like the proverbial turd that won't flush. 

Saturday 4PM the Brown & Orange scrimmage.. After camp day 8, were a little dinged up on the starter defensive side.. but, CB- Donnie Lewis did return today..Hammy's (4)-Duke/Tavierre Thomas/Vernon/Ratley..Concussions(2 TE's) Demetetrius Harris & Devalve..WR- Blake Jackson was waived with injured knee designation. We added a TE Mik'Quan Dean today, cut from Seattle.S.Richardson(abdominal),Avery not on sidelines last 3 days with a ankle.Chad Thomas(stomach virus), Ogun(precautionary). NFI-RB's- K.Hunt/T.Grey..IR-Lo Falemaka..1) We should get a good look at DT's Coley/Ekuale/Davis/Price & Devroe Lawrence who seemed unstoppable today. 2) Some unknown TE's not named Njoku. 3) DE's-Chris Smith & Zettle. 4) the backend secondary seems to be the injury free unit? let's keep that way.. After Saturday team scrimmage, Redskins come to the Land Thursday Night..  

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Saturday 4PM the Brown & Orange scrimmage.. After camp day 8, were a little dinged up on the starter defensive side.. but, CB- Donnie Lewis did return today..Hammy's (4)-Duke/Tavierre Thomas/Vernon/Ratley..Concussions(2 TE's) Demetetrius Harris & Devalve..WR- Blake Jackson was waived with injured knee designation. We added a TE Mik'Quan Dean today, cut from Seattle.S.Richardson(abdominal),Avery not on sidelines last 3 days with a ankle.Chad Thomas(stomach virus), Ogun(precautionary). NFI-RB's- K.Hunt/T.Grey..IR-Lo Falemaka..1) We should get a good look at DT's Coley/Ekuale/Davis/Price & Devroe Lawrence who seemed unstoppable today. 2) Some unknown TE's not named Njoku. 3) DE's-Chris Smith & Zettle. 4) the backend secondary seems to be the injury free unit? let's keep that way.. After Saturday team scrimmage, Redskins come to the Land Thursday Night..  

Too bad about Blake Jackson. I heard he was having a really good camp. Maybe the early cut with injury designation will keep him off other teams’ radars and we can slip him back on the ps or 53 when healthy.

23 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Too bad about Blake Jackson. I heard he was having a really good camp. 

That he was,from most reports..another former QB walkon that nobody gave a real chance.. little school of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Texas. Really not sure what happened? but reading Blake's twitter "god & I need about 6 weeks to get healed". Sucks when it happens to fun guys that ya think have their heads screwed on straight.. They say this took only 2 filming takes. These type guys you want in your locker room 

Good Luck!! Bee Jack    

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, gumby73 said:

..Hammy's (4)-Duke/Tavierre Thomas/Vernon/Ratley..Concussions(2 TE's) Demetetrius Harris & Devalve.S.Richardson(abdominal),Avery not on sidelines last 3 days with a ankle(on sideline today).Chad Thomas(stomach virus),RB-T.Grey 

Add +++ DT- B.Price(concussion)---LB-Adarius Taylor(concussion) & CB- P. Gaines(neck) to above ^^ OUT list, missing Scrimmage..RB-K.Hunt & DT- L.Ogunjobi are playing..CB-Jermaine Ponder was waived to add former Buckeye DT Tracy Sprinkle👀 a former Carolina Panther cut

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Willies is the guy I liked last year so much during the summer and hope to see him in the 53 this year. Sounds like he is well on his way.👍

EDIT: Mack Wilson is my pick for this year to make an impact. I just like the size/speed combination he brings to the team in the area of highest need. Not bad for a guy who got recruited to Bama in an offensive position. If even one of those two guys (Takitaki) becomes a stud starting LB this year, I'll be elated.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Willies is the guy I liked last year so much during the summer and hope to see him in the 53 this year. Sounds like he is well on his way.👍

EDIT: Mack Wilson is my pick for this year to make an impact. I just like the size/speed combination he brings to the team in the area of highest need. Not bad for a guy who got recruited to Bama in an offensive position. If even one of those two guys (Takitaki) becomes a stud starting LB this year, I'll be elated.

Not to sound like Gipper's cell phone but:

Ditto

Ditto

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If I say thank you for sucking my dick it will seem like you did it twice whatIf I say thank you for sucking my dick it will seem like you did it twice

Please, it was only a joke for the laughsPlease, it was only a joke for the laughs.

• Haha 1