THE BROWNS BOARD

21st Century Pro Sports Cities Misery Index

The Gipper

Here is something that I spent quite a bit of time on:  A Sports Misery Index for each City that has a Professional team in the 4 major sports....but just counting the 21st Century. I will give this in order of each of the 49 cities in the US and Canada that have a professional sports team.   I will provide my methodology in a subsequent post, but for now I will just give the Final Result.   "Least Miserable"  (or, if you will....most "Spoiled" cities listed first)  I also give the number of Pro Sports franchised that are currently in each town...which may have some relevance.  # means that a team has moved into that town..or has received an expansion team   @ means a team has move out. 

San Antonio   -9      ......1 team

Las Vegas  -6  .....1 team  #

Oklahoma City  -4.....1 team #

Boston -2  ......4 teams

Winnipeg  0 .....1 team #

Indianapolis  2.5......2 teams

Los Angeles/Anaheim  2.75 .....8 teams #

Memphis 3.....1 team #

Green Bay  4......1 team

Ottawa  5.....1 team

Pittsburgh 5.....3 teams

Portland  6.....1 team

Philadelphia 6.5 ....4 teams

St. Louis 7 .....2 teams @

Utah  7 .....1 team

Vancouver 7.5 .....1 team  @

The Bay Area  7.66 ..... 6 teams

New York  7.777 .....9 teams

Chicago 8.....5 teams

Columbus 8 .....1 team #

Houston 8 .....3 teams #

Detroit  8 .....4 teams

Dallas  8.25......4 teams 

Denver  8.75.....4 teams

Montreal  9.0.....1 team@

Orlando  9.0.....1 team

Nashville  9.5.....2 teams #

Washington DC  9.75.....4 teams 

New Orleans   10.....2 teams  #

Baltimore 10.....2 teams

Calgary  10 .....1 team

Minnesota  10.25.....4 teams #

Seattle  10.33 .....2 teams  @

Atlanta  10.75 .....3 teams @

Raleigh  11.0 .....1 team

Miami  11.0 .....4 teams

Charlotte  11.0 .....2 teams

Tampa Bay  11.0  .....3 teams

Cleveland  11.33 .....3 teams 

Milwaukee 12.0 .....2 teams

Sacramento 12.0.....1 team

Kansas City  12.5 .....2 teams

Phoenix 12.75.....4 teams 

Edmonton  13.0.....1 team

Toronto 13.5.....2 teams 

Cincinnati  14.0.....2 teams 

Buffalo  15.5.....2 teams 

Jacksonville 16.0.....1 team

San Diego 16.5.....1 team  @

OK, here, basically is the methodology used:

A. I counted the number of seasons that each team played in city, and assigned that number to that team.  Example, most teams got the number 19, as that is the number of seasons most teams have played in the 21st century in that town.   Some, obviously can be less, e/g  Oklahoma City Thunder has only been in that town for 11 years, so they are only assigned the number 11.    The Chargers have been in LA for only 2 years, so they get two.

B. Then I deduct from that number a point for each time a team made the playoffs.  I further deduct 1 point if a team played and lost a title game/series.   And then I deduct another point if that team has won a championship.   Then:

C. I add 5 points to a city's total if they have had a team leave town....as that obviously should increase that cities sports misery.  Likewise, I subtract 5 points if a city has had a team move in there, or has received an expansion franchise. 

D. Then I total the points of all the teams in that particular city.....and last, I divide that total of points by the number of teams that play in a city.

So, here are a couple of examples to illustrate things.  Start with Cleveland:

Cleveland:

Cavaliers   19 seasons ...minus 9 for the number of years they made playoffs....minus another 5 for the times they appeared in the Finals...and minus another one point for their Championship.    Final Cavs number:  4

Indians:  19 seasons   -  6 playoffs  - 1 for World Series appearance.   Indians number:  12

Browns: 19 seasons  - 1 playoff.    Browns number   18

Cleveland total number:  4+12+18 =34  divided by 3 =   11.33       So, 11.33 is Cleveland's Misery Index.

Another example:   the spoiled brats of Boston:

Boston:  4 teams:

Bruins:  19 seasons, minus 13 pts for 13 playoff seasons, minus 3 pts for 3 title series appearances, minus  1 pts for a title:  Bruins total 2 pts.

Celtics:  19 season, minus15 playoff pts, minus 2 pts for Finals, minus 1 pt for their 1 title:   Celtics 1 Pt.

Red Sox:  19 seasons, minus 10 playoff pts,  minus 4 WS appearance points, minus 4 title points.   Red Sox 1 Pt.

Patriots:  19 seasons, minus 16 playoff pts, minus 9 SB appearance pts, minus  6 title pts.   Pats  -12 Pts.

1 pt. + 1 pt + 2 pts - 12 pts  is  -8 total pts.   Divided by 4 is   -2 pts for Boston

Looking at the opposite end of things:

San Antonio Spurs:

19 seasons  minus 19 pts for making playoffs;  minus 5 pts for 5 Finals, then minus  4 pts for 5 titles  Spurs total is  -9 points

And since  SA is a one horse town....that  -9 points gives them the lowest "misery index" of   all 49 cities.

And here is the highest of all 49:

San Diego:

Padres.   19 seasons, minus  2 for playoffs   Padres points are  17  (no WS appearances)

Chargers  17 season, minus 6 for playoffs   Chargers points are  11   (no SB appearance)

San Diego:   17 + 11....plus I add 5 points for losing the Chargers:   33 total points;  Divided by two teams is   16.5  "Misery Index"

One last example, unless anyone wants the data for any particular city (I will just give the points and the math

Los Angeles/Anaheim.    8 teams

Kings:  19-10-2-2   Kings  5 pts

Ducks: 19-12-2-1  Ducks  4 pts

Clippers: 19-8    Clippers  11 pts

Lakers:  19-13-7 finals -5 titles  Lakers  -6 pts

Rams:  3 seasons  - 2 -1   Rams  0 pts

Chargers  2 seasons  -1  Chargers  1 pts.

Angels 19  - 7 - 1 -1   Angels  10 pts

Dodgers  19-10 -2  Dodgers  7 pts

So, LA  :  5+4+11 -6 +0 + 1 +10 +7  total 32 pts....but  also subtract  10 pts for Rams/Chargers moving in  LA total pts:  22.  Divided by 8 is 2.75. LA Sports misery Index

OK, one more since, after all....it is Shittsburgh.

Penguins:  19 seasons minus 15 playoff years  minus 4 title series appearance minus 3 titles   Penguins pts:   -3.

Steelers: 19 seasons  minus 12 playoffs, minus 3 SB games  minus 2 titles.  Steelers point:  2

Pirates:  19 seasons minus 3 playoff   Pirates  16 pts.

So:    -3 + 2 + 16  15 pts  divided by 3.   5.0   Pittsburgh sports misery index.

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm getting dizzy.😵

Its really as simple as A-B-C-D =X 

Then add nX + Z? and divide by n. (number of teams)  (where you also have to factor in Z. (loss or gain of a team)

Or...maybe this will help:

Jacksonville

Jaguars  19 years....minus 3 playoffs equals  16.

Jax is a one horse town, so their index is 16. 

Here is a bit of a further breakdown...which you could say reflects the best  teams of the 21st Century

Here are the teams with the BEST scores using the above method:

Patriots   -12

Spurs  -9

Lakers  -6

Thunder  -4   (but note....only over 11 years)

Heat  -3

Penguins  -3

Yankees  -2

Winnipeg Jets   0   (but only 5 year sample)

And the following teams only scored a 1:  Sharks, Red Sox, Celtics, Devils, St.L. Cardinals

And now the worst....and guess who is on top:

Cleveland Browns  18

Buffalo Bills  18

The following teams scored a 17:  Seattle Mariners, San Diego Padres, Toronto Blue Jays

The following teams scored a 16:  Pirates,  Orioles, Reds, Lions, Marlins, Jags, Brewers

Note this however: all of these are either baseball or football teams.   Because of the NBA and NHL systems of including many more playoff teams, those teams would not score as high here. 

So,  according to my algorithm,  Cincinnati is at this time a more "suffering"  sports town than is Cleveland.   I don't know if they would believe that,  but I think it is true:  Cleveland has made  5 NBA Finals appearances, and a World Series appearance this century......Cincy has not a single "finals" appearance.