THE BROWNS BOARD

Apollo 11 Lunar Lander 50 years ago

TexasAg1969

My Dad's first cousin was married to Aggie engineer Hugh Davis who was the Lunar Lander program director. He remained good friends with Buzz Aldrin for many years up until his death not so long ago. Here Buzz Aldrin gives him credit for allowing Apollo 11's lander and not Apollo 12's to be the first on the moon. I knew Hugh as far back as I can remember since my older brother and I were ring bearers in his marriage to my Dad's cousin Mary. I don't really remember it other than pictures because I was only 3. But I always admired this Korean War AF pilot and his later career in NASA.

https://www.spaceanswers.com/space-exploration/apollo-11′s-manned-lunar-landing-was-almost-cancelled-says-aldrin/

• Upvote 1

I remember the landing pretty well we were together at a friend's house gathered around the TV taking it all in in 1969.

Mankind hasn't done much since that day.  :lol:

I was 18 entering my second year in college and in my first year at USSteel.......great times.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I remember the landing pretty well we were together at a friend's house gathered around the TV taking it all in in 1969.

Mankind hasn't done much since that day.  :lol:

I was 18 entering my second year in college and in my first year at USSteel.......great times.

It happened at like 3 o’clock in the morning were you guys drinking all night? 🤢

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

It happened at like 3 o’clock in the morning were you guys drinking all night? 🤢

From TIME magazine:

“Houston,” said Armstrong tentatively. A long pause. Then: “Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”

“Roger, Tranquility,” sighed Mission Control. “We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We’re breathing again.”

The time was 4:18p.m. Cape Kennedy time, Sunday, July 20, 1969. Man had landed on the moon.........

.........Slowly, they bled the pressure from their spacecraft, letting oxygen out, vacuum in. At 10:40 p.m., Armstrong reported, “The hatch is coming open.” Then, following Aldrin’s instructions, he began to back out onto the porch of the spacecraft, taking care that his suit did not catch or snag in the narrow opening. It was slow going. His 185-pound suit, weighing only some 30 pounds in lunar gravity, was more a hindrance because of its bulk than its weight. Suddenly he was standing on the porch of Eagle, beginning the tentative steps down the nine rungs of the ladder. On the way he pulled a lanyard releasing an equipment shelf and a television camera. Now, on screens all over the earth, you could see the stark shadows, and there, swinging, searching, a boot, Armstrong’s boot. Bit by bit, the whole man appeared. Now, off the last rung, onto the saucer-like footpad. Then, cautiously again, unsure of what was below it, he stepped with his left foot, a size 9½ foot in a clumsy, awkward step. He pressed the lunar surface at 10:56 p.m. His first words were, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” For 20 minutes he walked alone on the alien soil of the moon before Buzz Aldrin followed the same backward route down the ladder to join him. Aldrin looked around and his first words were, “Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A magnificent desolation.”.........

Made for primetime TV!