THE BROWNS BOARD

20 Marines returned home from Tarawa after 76 years

What a heartbreak it took so long, so many died stopping a terrible enemy to save so many. The destruction of those islands - a lot got lost amid all the debris. Good that these heroes got to come back home again.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This morning we just laid to rest the wife of my Dad's oldest friend and it was made clear at the service she wanted the 23rd Psalm read at her funeral since her husband who predeceased her had recited it so many times in foxholes in the Pacific. She and my mom had been best of friends as well after they met just a few months before I was born. They truly were the greatest generation.

As of today, more than 72,000 Americans who were involved in World War II remain unaccounted for, according to the Defense Department.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were some real hell holes in the Pacific my late father-in-law was in several of them.

I worked with many of those guys in the steel mills, a tough bunch including Lou a member of that Greatest Generation.

God bless them all.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

As of today, more than 72,000 Americans who were involved in World War II remain unaccounted for, according to the Defense Department.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were some real hell holes in the Pacific my late father-in-law was in several of them.

I worked with many of those guys in the steel mills, a tough bunch including Lou a member of that Greatest Generation.

God bless them all.

My grandpa was part of the island hopping. They had some pictures from over there but he rarely if ever mentioned the stuff that went on. Those guys were tougher than leather.

My Dad was in the Navy, he and two other guys ran a landing boat. They asked for volunteers to run another landing craft, I think only transported and landed personnel, and he volunteered. It was a crew of one - being the youngest of nine brothers, by the time he got to the Philippines, he was transporting men from one ship to another, to the islands... and in a few weeks, the war was mostly over.

He said the only danger he faced, was one evening, after shuttling some officers somewhere- he tied up his landing craft adjacent to another that was already tied up. So, he had to cross from his boat, across the second, and get on ship.

The seas were rough, and as he went to jump to the other ship, they clanged together all the time, the landing craft he was trying to jump to....bounced off the other side, and he ended up out of timing his jump. He fell into the ocean between the two landing crafts. He kept having to dive down every time the landing crafts crashed together, kept making his way towards the bow, and finally swam under the bow of the second boat and climbed up a net. I wish I could go back in time, and talk with him about that again, while I read his Blue Jacket manual.

• Upvote 1