THE BROWNS BOARD

All Time Browns Depth Chart

Zombo

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And how about this.....the Hall of Shame

25 Browns players who failed miserably  (top draft picks/free agents,   draftees...no lower than 2d round)

Greg Allen  RB

Craig Powell  LB

Kenny Britt WR

Dwayne Bowe WR

Andre Rison WR

Brady Quinn QB

DeShone Kizer QB

Clifford Charlton LB

John P. Manziel QB

Jeff Garcia QB

Trent Dilfer QB

Steve Holden  WR

Cam Erving OL

Marvin Upshaw DE

Barkevious Mingo DE

Corey Coleman WR

Justin Gilbert DB

Trent Richardson RB

Courtney Brown DE

Tommy Vardell RB

Mike Junkin LB

Bobby Garrett QB

Bobby Crespino WR

Kurt Burris  OL

Brandon Weeden  QB

If we're going for the Mount Rushmore of all time busts, it has to be a combination of draft position\ non production - injury problems. 

So, the top 4

Mike Junk- in "Mad Dog in a meat Market" 

Just-not ready -in Gilbert

Trent (one hit wonder) Richardson

And Barkless Mingo

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Also,   Dave Logan....and Ross Fichtner  as honorable mention.

And gee...what about this guy:  (except for one letter of his name....he would be a near Hall of Famer!)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GibsTo20.htm

(for what its worth, I don't remember him at all)

Rubin, Logan and Fichtner are good nominees.

Seems there are a lot of WRS that could be nominated, besides Logan there's Langhorne, Kevin Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, and everyone's fan favorite, Brian Brennan.

I think every year I will honor two more guys with admission to the "Honorable Mention" Club, one on each side of the ball.

So this year it is Felix Wright on defense ... and you guys nominate an offensive guy that I didn't list ... Logan has an early nomination vote.

Zombo

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

If we're going for the Mount Rushmore of all time busts, it has to be a combination of draft position\ non production - injury problems. 

So, the top 4

And Barkless Mingo

I'll go with the four "most painful":

1. The Manziel/Gilbert Exacta: Not only did they suck, they never cared about the team. Sets the standard for blowing a first round.

3. Brady Quinn: Traded a first and a second to get him and he was a walking dud. Won 3 games as a Brown

4. Mike Phipps: He was awful and the Browns won in spite of him for a few years until the entire franchise tanked. Most painful part is we traded Warfield in his prime for him.

Shout out to Mike Junkin as well ... that guy went #5 overall??

Zombo

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I'll go with the four "most painful":

1. The Manziel/Gilbert Exacta: Not only did they suck, they never cared about the team. Sets the standard for blowing a first round.

3. Brady Quinn: Traded a first and a second to get him and he was a walking dud. Won 3 games as a Brown

4. Mike Phipps: He was awful and the Browns won in spite of him for a few years until the entire franchise tanked. Most painful part is we traded Warfield in his prime for him.

Shout out to Mike Junkin as well ... that guy went #5 overall??

Zombo

Of course beyond our memories was Bobby Garrett who was number one overall and who played a total of nine NFL games in his career. None with the Browns.

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

So, the top 4

And Barkless Mingo

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Richardson.

Is he a bust overall? Absolutely. 

But the Browns got a solid rookie season out of him (1300+ yards rushing/receiving) and then dealt him right at the beginning of his second season for a first rounder. In reality, Richardson didn't really hurt the Browns. (It was a dumb pick, though)

Richardson absolutely killed the Colts, though. 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, The Gipper said:

Interestingly I am noting that when it comes to Hall of Fame Browns we are top-heavy on the offense of side. Looking at this it seems that the only defense of players on the Browns whoever made the Hall of Fame were Willis and Ford Who go back to the 40s and 50s. The Browns have never had a linebacker nor defense of back make the Hall of Fame

We may be one of the only teams that could start an entire offense of Hall-of-Famers at every position, including three Running Backs, and when JT gets in, three Tackles.

Zombo

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

We may be one of the only teams that could start an entire offense of Hall-of-Famers at every position, including three Running Backs, and when JT gets in, three Tackles.

Zombo

And don't forget that in essence we have HOFers at  the special teams spots that complement the offense:    Lou Groza, in as much for kicking as for being an OT;    Bobby Mitchell is one of the all time leaders in Kickoff returns for TD (partly with Washington...but he had more with Cleve. And Leroy Kelly, before he became HOF RB....returned punts, and in 2 years doing that duty he had 3 TD returns.

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2019 at 7:57 AM, Zombo said:

Zombo

Reviving this thread for you Z since you linked it. 

Note also that  we should/could have another OT in the HOF:   Dick Schafrath actually exceeds the likes of Groza and Thomas in terms of  production stat numbers.    Maybe a candidate for the Veteran's Committee?  He should be.

Also....as I noted elsewhere.....turn Mac Speedie to Gold for his HOF induction......and, cross fingers, maybe Clay can make it...one of 25 finalists. 

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Reviving this thread for you Z since you linked it. 

Note also that  we should/could have another OT in the HOF:   Dick Schafrath actually exceeds the likes of Groza and Thomas in terms of  production stat numbers.    Maybe a candidate for the Veteran's Committee?  He should be.

Also....as I noted elsewhere.....turn Mac Speedie to Gold for his HOF induction......and, cross fingers, maybe Clay can make it...one of 25 finalists. 

I'll update it in the offseason, when I can work in this year's accomplishments.

Z

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, Zombo said:

Well Training Camp is almost here, so time to unleash something I have been working on for awhile:

My Browns All-Time 53 Man Depth Chart

My Guidelines:  --Needed to play three full seasons or more with the Browns

All Time Browns 53 Man Roster

QB Otto Graham ’46-55 / Frank Ryan QB ’62-68 / Bernie Kosar ’85-93 / Brian Sipe ’74-83

FB Marion Motley ’46-53

RB Jim Brown ’57-65/ Leroy Kelly ’64-73/ Greg Pruitt ’73-81 / Bobby Mitchell ’58-61

WR Paul Warfield ’64-77 / Ray Renfro ’52-63 /

WR Dante Lavelli 46-56 / Mac Speedie ’46-52 / Gary Collins ’62-71

TE Ozzie Newsome ’78-90 / Milt Morin ’66-75 /

T Joe Thomas ‘07-17/ Dick Schafrath ’59-71 / Doug Dieken ’71-84

T Lou Groza ’46-67 / Mike McCormick ’54-62

G Gene Hickerson ‘58-73 / Jim Ray Smith ’56-62

G Joe DeLamiellure ’80-84 / John Wooten ‘59-67

C Frank Gatski ’46-56 / Tom DeLeone ’74-84

DT Michael Dean Perry ’88-94 / Walter Johnson ‘65-76

DT Jerry Sherk ’70-81 / Bob Gain ’52-64

DE Bill Willis ’46-53 / Bill Glass’62-68

DE Len Ford ’50-57 / Paul Wiggin DE ’57-67

MLB Mike Johnson ’86-93 / Vince Costello ’57-66

OLB Clay Matthews ’78-93 / Walt Michaels ’52-61

OLB Jim Houston ‘60-72 / Chip Banks ’82-86 / Galen Fiss LB ’56-66

CB Frank Minnifield ’84-92 / Joe Haden ’10-16

CB Hanford Dixon ’81-89 / Bernie Parrish ’59-66

S Thom Darden ’72-81 / Clarence Scott ’71-83

S Eric Turner ’91-95 / Warren Lahr  ’49-59

K Phil Dawson ’99-12, P Horace Gillom ’47-55, KR Josh Cribbs ’05-12, (LS Ryan Pontbriand ’03-11)

I must have been knee-deep on the Warden's to do list back when you posted this.  Great stuff!  

I'm glad to see my avatar on that list so way to do it with Greg Pruitt.   He never gave us time to mourn the sleeping legs of Leroy Kelly.  Those 2 guys really captivated my interest; and gave me an understanding of why my dad had a huge antennae on the roof (before satellites came along).  Nothing better than watching the Cleveland Browns take on the Saints on an Ottawa station in French.  Just when it couldn't get any more outrageous, my dad tells my older brother, "Asshole, the Browns were winning when you took your brother's seat - so get back in the chairs you were in when the game started."  Even crazier, the Browns came back and won.  After our short musical chairs tradition ended, when the Browns would either lose leads or not look at all like they were favored my brother would hear - "Hey asshole, did you put cake on the Browns again today?"  Almost every time that happened, he sure did.

I've ALWAYS been a huge fan of the tradition of the running game in Cleveland.    I liked that about Ohio State as well with Archie Griffin giving me a strong 1st impression with back to back Heisman Trophies.  Syracuse was my 1B college fave due to the locality.  They also had a strong RB tradition inclusive of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Floyd Little, Joe Morris and Moose Johnston.  

Unfortunately, I think our chance of seeing Clay Matthews make the Hall of Fame seems to be slipping away because the 2 favorite LBers of my lifetime are Mike Johnson and Clay Matthews.  If opponents voted on the Hall of Fame, I think Clay Matthews would have made it by now.  He played all 4 LB positions in the 3-4 extremely well when injuries needed him to do so; and he played all 3 very well in the 4-3 under similar circumstances.  At a Browns Backers Banquet in Rochester, NY - Joe DeLamiellure was asked who the toughest guy he ever faced was.  Without hesitation he said "Clay Matthews is the toughest SOB I ever faced.  And I had to do this EVERY day in practice."  He added that every time injuries caused him to play another 1 of the LBer positions - he often upgraded it over that of the injured starter.  IMO, this unselfishness probably cost him a few Pro Bowls at the OLB he would would have played at all season if there were no injuries to problem solve.  1 thing nobody can change was the impact Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome had on the success of this team after they were both drafted in the 1st round of 1978.  The most successful decade this team had at making the playoffs was in the 1980s - the those guys were great leaders by example on their sides of the ball.

So where are we today?  Running the ball down the esophagus of our opponents.  I LOVE ME some of that!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1