THE BROWNS BOARD

Tiamat's 2019 training camp observations, thoughts, ramblings (who the hell knows at this point?)

tiamat63

I did pick up one of those white, bucket hats from the Browns site that you saw the coaches on HBO wear.  Actually not a bad fit.  Fortunately I don't have a head the size of a Shetland pony, so I can pull off a clean, summer buzz plus the hat. 

Anywho.

Welcome to my yearly mad house, I trust you'll enjoy your stay.  I'm sorry about missing last year, but life has a tendency to keep us from our passions at times. Myself and a few friends (former teammates) will be in attendance the first Saturday of camp - the 27th.  Feel free to holler if you see us. 

While I hope to soak up as much as possible, the camp time is only 2 hours.  I plan to make a camp date in August to gauge progress so because of that I'll be focusing on a few spot mostly this time around. 

- The secondary. 

I'm a DB at heart, always have been.  It's home.  I want to see Greedy and the physical gifts he brings to the table.  I want to see how he and Ward compliment each other.  I also want to get a better understanding of their roles under our new DC.     

From there my eyes will lead me to the safeties. Outside of Randall I want to know how Burnett and possibly Redwine look.. What our 2 primary safeties will be and how the nickel spot will be addressed and by who? 

- The Oline

The interior especially. Who is going to shake out at RG between Corbett, Kush and Kalis.  Will Corbett get more looks at center? How does Tretter perform without having Zeitler on his hip?  Finally, any progress from Robinson and where might Forbes land..? 

Last stop. 

- The Backers. 

Not so much Schob or Kirksey.  I want to see Avery's further development and deployment.   Where does Sione see snaps? And is Mack Wilson the steal many make him out to be. 

I know you guys are into the sexy. The skill spots, QB, WR, etc etc. I'll do my best to keep an eye on them when I can and give my word on early returns. 

Anything I post initially will be off the cuff and any tweets embedded will either be my own or to echo a point from another's words.      Any questions?

Aaaaaaaaaaand break! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I did pick up one of those white, bucket hats from the Browns site that you saw the coaches on HBO wear.  Actually not a bad fit.  Fortunately I don't have a head the size of a Shetland pony, so I can pull off a clean, summer buzz plus the hat. 

Anywho.

Welcome to my yearly mad house, I trust you'll enjoy your stay.  I'm sorry about missing last year, but life has a tendency to keep us from our passions at times. Myself and a few friends (former teammates) will be in attendance the first Saturday of camp - the 27th.  Feel free to holler if you see us. 

While I hope to soak up as much as possible, the camp time is only 2 hours.  I plan to make a camp date in August to gauge progress so because of that I'll be focusing on a few spot mostly this time around. 

- The secondary. 

I'm a DB at heart, always have been.  It's home.  I want to see Greedy and the physical gifts he brings to the table.  I want to see how he and Ward compliment each other.  I also want to get a better understanding of their roles under our new DC.     

From there my eyes will lead me to the safeties. Outside of Randall I want to know how Burnett and possibly Redwine look.. What our 2 primary safeties will be and how the nickel spot will be addressed and by who? 

- The Oline

The interior especially. Who is going to shake out at RG between Corbett, Kush and Kalis.  Will Corbett get more looks at center? How does Tretter perform without having Zeitler on his hip?  Finally, any progress from Robinson and where might Forbes land..? 

Last stop. 

- The Backers. 

Not so much Schob or Kirksey.  I want to see Avery's further development and deployment.   Where does Sione see snaps? And is Mack Wilson the steal many make him out to be. 

I know you guys are into the sexy. The skill spots, QB, WR, etc etc. I'll do my best to keep an eye on them when I can and give my word on early returns. 

Anything I post initially will be off the cuff and any tweets embedded will either be my own or to echo a point from another's words.      Any questions?

Aaaaaaaaaaand break! 

Thanks. I'm very interested in the 2 areas I have highlighted. I'll be following this.

Mike

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Anywho.

- The secondary. 

- The Oline

Last stop. 

- The Backers. 

Aaaaaaaaaaand break! 

Not all of us are in to the sexy.... I’m much more worried about the right side of the O line and the linebackers. I’m completely sold on Mayfield, Landry, Beckham, Njoku, Chubb and Hunt. Let me know what you see in everyone else! 👍

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Last stop. 

- The Backers. 

We've heard that Wilks likes 2  LB'er sets.  Will that prove to be true here?  And does that help our LB'er situation?

While scoping the linebackers l’m curious where Ray Ray Armstrong fits in. He rated well in the last game last year and we resigned him for 2.25 mil, but l’m not seeing much love for Ray squared in mock final 53s and general chatter about the LB group heading into camp. 

I’m always curious to read about the udfa guy who comes outta nowhere too. 

Also curious to read about how Forbes progresses and looking forward to seeing some film against better competition. The early chatter on him was maybe tackle or maybe guard, but lately seems to be that it’s going to be guard, which is a curious call so early in the game because the Browns really could use to develop a solid tackle of the future since their depth seems thin and the starters seem to be considered average.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

We've heard that Wilks likes 2  LB'er sets.  Will that prove to be true here?  And does that help our LB'er situation?

I don't think it's something that can be proven true/false.  It's his philosophy and history being a coordinator.  The better questions would be - who is the reserve WILL and who is the 3rd backer? ( my guess Avery ) 

15 hours ago, Orion said:

I'd be interested in the coordination between Kitchens and Monken.  

Will be hard to get a feel for that in a public camp bubs.   Put in a good word, maybe they'll let me in on a couple meetings 😜

Truely, there are so many bubble battle guys on this roster at each & every position besides QB..The new coaching staff really has to do their best building & molding each unit leading to final roster..Remember Vernon can play LB & play it well when asked..Avery could flip both also.but early,am on the side of Mack Wilson out schooling Taki at camp. Dorsey seems to trust two guys that he drafted..Chad Thomas & Austin Corbett..If he's right again on both? This team could be crazy good,stockpiling depth...Am keeping my eyes on these two & many bubble fights that could solidify spots as 2nd/3rd teamers..They are so depended on, during the season that sadly will include injuries..I like how Phifer backed himself into a corner with the quote "i don't think the past staff played the best players on ST's"... Personally, I don't think Freddie knows how to play football or life, scared of anything..leading to why am the Most excited I've been in years...add in the C-land fans selling out each home event to back this team..It's Going to be ROCK'in the land..Keep Baker standing up right 16 weeks? We will all be waking up feeling Dan6erous!! Let's tee it up Brownies.. 

outside of being intrigued with Redwine at safety, I'd like to get a bit of feedback

on Seibert, Forbes and Lewis, the last three picks.

and kick returner. It's very, very interesting set of guys who could end up being the #1 kick returner.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Cleveland-Browns-kick-returner-132369437/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

outside of being intrigued with Redwine at safety, I'd like to get a bit of feedback

on Seibert, Forbes and Lewis, the last three picks.

and kick returner. It's very, very interesting set of guys who could end up being the #1 kick returner.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Cleveland-Browns-kick-returner-132369437/

Kick and punt returning is still to me one of the glaring holes that we have on this team by that I mean it is unsettled if we have the right person or a good person to do those jobs. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:00 PM, tiamat63 said:
  1. I did pick up one of those white, bucket hats...
  2. Welcome to my yearly mad house, I trust you'll enjoy your stay.  I'm sorry about missing last year, but life has a tendency to keep us from our passions at times. Myself and a few friends (former teammates) will be in attendance the first Saturday of camp - the 27th.
  3. - The Oline: The interior especially. Who is going to shake out at RG between Corbett, Kush and Kalis.  Will Corbett get more looks at center? How does Tretter perform without having Zeitler on his hip?  Finally, any progress from Robinson and where might Forbes land..?
  1. Did you get your bowl of soup?*
  2. Which positions do your friends favor? Divide and conquer...
  3. Hopefully at least one friend is ex-OL... be sure he pays as much attention to run blocking as he does PassPro.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* 1st runner-up: "Spalding, get your foot off the boat!"

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  3. Hopefully at least one friend is ex-OL... be sure he pays as much attention to run blocking as he does PassPro.

1) no soup for me - one year.

2) friends favor offense. I'm there to balance it out.

3) One OL (guard) , one RB - noted on pass pro vs run blocking.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:47 AM, Tour2ma said:

What are you doing this Saturday? Why don't you mow my lawn? 

LOL 

I'm tired as shit, probably because I was just woken up by my RB who ran into a family snag and now can't make it to camp.   It's late and practice is in 9 hours but I'm opening this up to the floor because I doubt I can get anyone by 7:30am.  I just tried the 'return' option on my app but it sends me to a dead link.  So either the app is fucked, or it isn't an option.  And With people selling these god damn things, it feels wrong to leave a couple open. 

Because of this, I now have 2 open tickets for training camp tomorrow/today (27th) at 10am available to the select, able and willing Browns fan wanting them.     

The app gives me the option of transferring the tickets, or if you want to roll into camp with us at the gate, I'm fine with that too. From that point on you can go your own way or whatever, I don't care.   But it will require some immediate and tight coordination on your part.    Either way,   feel free to post or drop me a PM if you're interested.    I'd hate to see them go to waste.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:00 PM, tiamat63 said:

Anywho.

- The secondary. 

- The Oline

Last stop. 

- The Backers. 

Aaaaaaaaaaand break! 

Thatta boy!  Looking forward to it. 

I think this is the first day of contact.  I'd love to hear how Forbes looks in the Okie drills if you get a chance as well as any scrimmage situations.  These always show me a lot in terms of pad height, fundamentals, explosion and the ability to FINISH someone following initial contact!  As for base, does he keep his feet wide enough apart to prevent over-extending?   He probably has the biggest jump in competition levels; but his elite measurements of explosiveness really intrigues me. (Division III) Hobart's Ali Marpet reminds us it ain't the school you draft - it's the football player and what he's wired to accomplish. 

I'm looking forward to reading you Tia-off on all the skill positions you specified as well.  Have fun today!

As you were...

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

The Scottish Hammer has some hang time.  Also has some of the most magnificent hair this side of Polamalu.  Seriously his conditioner use must be unreal.

I am a fan of the good hair guys. If we could convince him to grow a Rollie Fingers-eaque mustache he would look like a Musketeer. Who doesn’t want a Musketeer as a punter? All for one! 

This starting Dline isnt tall aside from Garrett.  Vernons inside move is still nasty though.   Bito holding his own vs Sheldon.

Chad Thomas hit a NASTY spin move inside on Hubbard.   The pass rush 1 on 1 is right in front of me.   Forbes doing a better job of anchoring than expected. Gettkng drill snaps at LT.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

This starting Dline isnt tall aside from Garrett.  Vernons inside move is still nasty though.   Bito holding his own vs Sheldon.

Chad Thomas hit a NASTY spin move inside on Hubbard.   The pass rush 1 on 1 is right in front of me.   Forbes doing a better job of anchoring than expected. Gettkng drill snaps at LT.

Good to hear about Forbes. Would like to see him get a fair shake at Tackle. I think he has the quick feet for it.

• Upvote 1