THE BROWNS BOARD

I didn't know this about Mayfield !

calfoxwc

Obviously - the Patriots were seriously considering trading way, way up to get Baker, thinking the Browns would be dumb? LOL

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/greedy-williams-has-already-established-himself-as-a-starter-with-the-cleveland-browns/95-fb15f3db-64b0-4344-8ed3-9723845f6f04

Mayfield thought he'd be a Patriot

While it's a subject matter that's previously been reported on, Kimes' story lends Mayfield's voice to the idea that the New England Patriots were targeting him in the 2018 draft.

For a while, he was convinced New England would trade up for him at No. 2," Kimes writes.

Last May, Jeff Howe of The Athletic shared a similar sentiment, reporting that the Patriots had coveted an interview with Mayfield in the weeks leading up to the draft.

"Here’s the story, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told The Athletic: In the weeks leading up to the draft, the Patriots kept trying to meet Mayfield for an interview, but Mayfield repeatedly declined their efforts because he didn’t believe they had a chance to take him. Of course, the Patriots’ first pick was at No. 23, so Mayfield recognized they’d have to trade up at least 20 spots to get him," Howe wrote.

"Finally, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels told a member of Mayfield’s camp the Pats were indeed considering that type of scenario. As such, Mayfield granted the meeting with the Patriots a week before the draft."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's what I know about Baker....The Browns took him with the #1 pick, so what ANY team picking AFTER #1 means nothing & their intentions mean nothing post 2018 draft.

WE got him & that's all that matters. That draft is past history.

Mike

I know he likes to run his mouth...like calling out the giants fans...a stupid un needed distraction.

He better be ready to back it up...too much jawin and havent done anything this season yet.

Most don't know the real Baker Mayfield yet..Here's the new ESPN the Magazine read, causing lots of chatter. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27203212/cleveland-browns-quarterback-baker-mayfield-afraid-hype   Really enjoyable good read. Baker answers questions that are directed at Him*.. if his non scripted answers, hurts your feelings? Don't keep asking him the same questions!! Tell the Patriots & others, They got Punk'd @#6 ..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Most don't know the real Baker Mayfield yet..Here's the new ESPN the Magazine read. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27203212/cleveland-browns-quarterback-baker-mayfield-afraid-hype   Really enjoyable good read. Baker answers questions that are directed at Him*.. if his non scripted answers, hurts your feelings? Don't ask!! Tell the Patriots & others, They got Punk'd @#6 ..

I liked the comparison of Baker with Freddie who seems to have that same inner drive to be himself instead of what everyone else thinks they need to be. You could not have teamed up two better matching personalities and life experiences than those two seem to share. Over last season and through the off season I have moved from burned (by JM) sceptic of small running QBs to a believer in Baker Mayfield similar to my respect for Drew Brees. Every year I try to get Brees on my FF team (he's won me a ton of money). This year I hope to get them both. Baker is going to be that kind of force for the Browns over the next 10-15 years. I'm convinced of it.

I didn't know some of this about The Dawgpound.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/7/18/20698301/browns-training-camp-1985-orgins-of-the-dawg-pound   I enjoy when the oldtimers comment in the comment section..and agree the new bowl just can't wall in the sound like The Muni..

5 hours ago, Gorka said:

Baker on the Pats an awful thought. First thing to pop into my mind is that him on the Pats for the next 10-15 yrs and they threaten the Packers Championship record.

Yea, coulda,woulda, been awful.. 

So tell them again Steve :D  "That damn Baker Mayfield"            

5 hours ago, Gorka said:

Baker on the Pats an awful thought. First thing to pop into my mind is that him on the Pats for the next 10-15 yrs and they threaten the Packers Championship record.

But not really,  17 is a lot. But still.

Packers have 13 titles to date the patriots only have six if I’m counting right yes only six so they are not even halfway there yet to the Packers for what that’s worth 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Packers have 13 titles to date the patriots only have six if I’m counting right yes only six so they are not even halfway there yet to the Packers for what that’s worth 

& I think we both agree- let's see how many New England can win once Brady retires- he can't play forever...   

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036376/article/brett-favre-sees-himself-in-mayfield-mahomes