THE BROWNS BOARD

MBA Debt

MLD Woody

30 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Somebody who gets an MBA and can't pay off his student loan is probably not using the degree all that wisely. But I get it everybody wants something for nothing.

WSS

There's some expensive ass programs out there. Michigan included

2 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

At least under Trump those graduating today have a good job market with rising wages to look forward to. 

I don't think there's been a major change in the last two years. Degrees in demand are still in demand. Exploding student loan debt is still an issue. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I have no doubt that's true. But 1 would think there are some expectations that come along with that price tag. 

WSS

Yeah those are the top programs with the best networking, professors, etc.

But we're talking $140k plus for Chicago, Michigan, Etc.

I'd love to... But fuck that's a lot of debt.

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I would assume that a student with one of those top degrees should expect a pretty lucrative career. If that's not the case then it's probably not worth the expense.

WSS

3 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Wages are increasing but when compared to inflation (3.2% increase in wages, 1.9% inflation) it ends up being a pretty minimal bump.

picky picky picky

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't think there's been a major change in the last two years. Degrees in demand are still in demand. Exploding student loan debt is still an issue. 

I remember you complaining recently about the trouble you had with hiring. That is because this economy favors workers and they can be more selective about where they want to go instead of having to take the first available job because jobs are in such short supply.

Just now, Westside Steve said:

I would assume put a student with one of those top degrees should expect a pretty lucrative career. If that's not the case then it's probably not worth the expense.

WSS

Well I'm not exactly looking for a swing into those fancy, high paying, lucrative business careers (I don't think). Sure I'll bet on me... But it's still a lot.

I could alternatively go to BW for $30k-ish, get the degree, check the box and learn something too. Just won't be as prestigious and stuff

There's a debate about how much it really matters. Compelling arguments on both sides.

3 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I remember you complaining recently about the trouble you had with hiring. That is because this economy favors workers and they can be more selective about where they want to go instead of having to take the first available job because jobs are in such short supply.

Hiring production workers. Machinists. Operators. Etc

I haven't had any issues with engineers.

My comment was more directed at degrees professionals

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Well I'm not exactly looking for a swing into those fancy, high paying, lucrative business careers (I don't think). Sure I'll bet on me... But it's still a lot.

I could alternatively go to BW for $30k-ish, get the degree, check the box and learn something too. Just won't be as prestigious and stuff

There's a debate about how much it really matters. Compelling arguments on both sides.

And one question should be if it's not for Success then how much should Joe Blow the taxpayer pay for Prestige?

And I guess I kind of understand the networking thing oh, somebody that has a theater degree from NYU is probably rubbing elbows with people who will be successful, as opposed to the University of Akron. Not that the guy from NYU is any more talented but when your classmates turn out to be Stars... 

WSS

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Hiring production workers. Machinists. Operators. Etc

I haven't had any issues with engineers.

My comment was more directed at degrees professionals

This economy is good for all workers though. This type of economy is better for workers than any union. I am not anti union but not for them either. My attitude is any employer who has a union probably deserves one.

26 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

And one question should be if it's not for Success then how much should Joe Blow the taxpayer pay for Prestige?

And I guess I kind of understand the networking thing oh, somebody that has a theater degree from NYU is probably rubbing elbows with people who will be successful, as opposed to the University of Akron. Not that the guy from NYU is any more talented but when your classmates turn out to be Stars... 

WSS

I'm also 90% joking in this thread. The vast majority of graduate level degrees shouldn't really get any taxpayer support. The issue is with undergrad degrees, which are pretty much necessary. Now these graduate degrees still have the problem of a rapid increase in tuition, but they're much more optional. 

19 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

This economy is good for all workers though. This type of economy is better for workers than any union. I am not anti union but not for them either. My attitude is any employer who has a union probably deserves one.

I'm telling you there hasn't really been any major change in degreed professional level hiring, at least within what I know (engineering) since Trump took over. Again, at least based on everything I'm seeing. 

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I just like my numbers to be honest. That is why a lot of people put fingers in their ears about national debt.

I think the people with fingers in their ears (and asses) reside on Capital Hill.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

My Bachelor's degree in Biology ended up just a shade under $70k. Miami University definitely isn't among the cheapest unis to go to.