THE BROWNS BOARD

~ NFL HOF GAME, 100th SEASON ~ THURSDAY AUGUST 1 at 8 pm.....going?

mjp28

2019 NFL HOF, anyone here going? NFL 100th SEASON.

https://www.profootballhof.com/events/2019-hall-of-fame-game

The Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos will face each other in the 2019 Hall of Fame Game on Thursday, Aug. 1 at 8 p.m. ET in Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The game marks the fourth appearance by each club in the annual preseason classic. Both teams own 1-2 records in the Hall of Fame Game series.

Single event tickets for the Hall of Fame Game are on sale now. Ticket prices range from $69-$199.

2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists

Finalist Pos Team(s) Pro Bowls All-Pro Times as HOF finalist
Steve Atwater S Broncos, Jets 8 2 3
Champ Bailey CB Washington, Broncos 12 3 1
Tony Boselli OT Jaguars, Texans 5 3 3
Isaac Bruce WR Rams, 49ers 4 0 3
Alan Faneca G Steelers, Jets, Cardinals 9 6 4
Tony Gonzalez TE Chiefs, Falcons 14 6 1
Steve Hutchinson G Seahawks, Vikings, Titans 7 5 2
Edgerrin James RB Colts, Cardinals, Seahawks 4 1 3
Ty Law CB Patriots, Jets, Chiefs, Broncos 5 2 3
John Lynch S Buccaneers, Broncos 9 2 6
Kevin Mawae C Seahawks, Jets, Titans 8 3 3
Ed Reed S Ravens, Texans, Jets 9 5 1
Richard Seymour DE Patriots, Raiders 7 3 1
Don Coryell Coach Cardinals, Chargers      
Tom Flores Coach Raiders, Seahawks      
Pat Bowlen* Owner Broncos      
Gil Brandt* GM Cowboys      
Johnny Robinson^ S D.Texans, Chiefs      

*Contributor Committee finalist ^Senior Committee finalist

100thSeasonPackage600.jpg

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

2019 NFL HOF, anyone here going? NFL 100th SEASON.

https://www.profootballhof.com/events/2019-hall-of-fame-game

The Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos will face each other in the 2019 Hall of Fame Game on Thursday, Aug. 1 at 8 p.m. ET in Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The game marks the fourth appearance by each club in the annual preseason classic. Both teams own 1-2 records in the Hall of Fame Game series.

Single event tickets for the Hall of Fame Game are on sale now. Ticket prices range from $69-$199.

2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists

Finalist Pos Team(s) Pro Bowls All-Pro Times as HOF finalist
Steve Atwater S Broncos, Jets 8 2 3
Champ Bailey CB Washington, Broncos 12 3 1
Tony Boselli OT Jaguars, Texans 5 3 3
Isaac Bruce WR Rams, 49ers 4 0 3
Alan Faneca G Steelers, Jets, Cardinals 9 6 4
Tony Gonzalez TE Chiefs, Falcons 14 6 1
Steve Hutchinson G Seahawks, Vikings, Titans 7 5 2
Edgerrin James RB Colts, Cardinals, Seahawks 4 1 3
Ty Law CB Patriots, Jets, Chiefs, Broncos 5 2 3
John Lynch S Buccaneers, Broncos 9 2 6
Kevin Mawae C Seahawks, Jets, Titans 8 3 3
Ed Reed S Ravens, Texans, Jets 9 5 1
Richard Seymour DE Patriots, Raiders 7 3 1
Don Coryell Coach Cardinals, Chargers      
Tom Flores Coach Raiders, Seahawks      
Pat Bowlen* Owner Broncos      
Gil Brandt* GM Cowboys      
Johnny Robinson^ S D.Texans, Chiefs      

Guys in RED did not make the cut.

Thanks, I just included the finalists to get it posted and for general information.

Just think about the ticket demand if a former CLEVELAND BROWN would make it.......any likely candidates?

I'm still curious if any of our board members re going to join the festivities?

Maybe our roving reporters?

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Thanks, I just included the finalists to get it posted and for general information.

Just think about the ticket demand if a former CLEVELAND BROWN would make it.......any likely candidates?

Joe Thomas, obviously.  

Dick Shafrath should be in. It would take the Senior Committee to nominate him.

But...wouldn't it be fresh if both he and JT went in the same year:   2 former Browns LTs!

Clay Matthews.

JIm Marshall....who was a Brown ever so briefly should get in. (The only reason I think he is not in is that he was a member of the Purple People Eaters...and that group already has 2 members in:  Eller and Page, and the HOF may not think another is warranted...perhaps because they never won...but lost 4 Super Bowls)

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Clay Matthews.

I was listening to HOF radio on Sirius, when David Baker brought this up..They vote on this is August 2nd 2019, for the 2020 class.. https://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034967/article/david-baker-hof-to-concider-20-enshinees-for-2020  with increasing the senior class, am seeing some hope for Clay Matthews🤞..Jim Marshall & Cliff Branch maybe deserving also  

On 7/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, The Gipper said:

Joe Thomas, obviously.  

But...wouldn't it be fresh if both he and JT went in the same year:   2 former Browns LTs!

Clay Matthews.

JIm Marshall....who was a Brown ever so briefly should get in. (The only reason I think he is not in is that he was a member of the Purple People Eaters...and that group already has 2 members in:  Eller and Page, and the HOF may not think another is warranted...perhaps because they never won...but lost 4 Super Bowls)

JT would be nice for the current day fans.

Clay Matthews is so overlooked.

Shafrath is a blast from my past.

A few defensive players from the original dog pound days might come close.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

JT would be nice for the current day fans.

Clay Matthews is so overlooked.

Shafrath is a blast from my past.

A few defensive players from the original dog pound days might come close.

There were a lot of really good players on the 1985-1989 Browns, but the only player who I think has a chance for the HOF is Matthews, and that seems somewhat in the air. 

Matthews has played every different LBer position extremely well in the 3-4 here when situations caused him to move out of his comfort zone to fill-in. That deserves a lot more credit than he's ever gotten for it.  We had 2 game changers in the 1st round of the 78 draft. They were Ozzie Newsome and Clay Matthews.  Coincidentally, the decade that immediately followed (80s) was the one the Browns frequented the playoffs the most in my lifetime as a fan. Both guys were great leaders on their side of the ball, that had great long careers for us.  That length of reliability up against what Cleveland became throughout most of their absence only acknowledges 1 HOFer IMO

I was at the playoff game where Cleveland was the last AFC Team to beat Buffalo in the playoffs prior to their 4 consecutive AFC Championships.  What sealed the deal was Clay Matthews' interception of Jim Kelly at the 2 yard line.

IMO, if this HOF selection process was done by NFL peers (opponents and teammates) - guys like Anthony Munoz, Bruce Matthews and Joe Delamielleure (who practiced against him) like they did other HOF players say Clay Matthews definitely belongs in the HOF. Even though Bruce is his brother, on the field of play they were division rivals that tried to beat one another. 

As much as I criticize Tony Grossi in recent years - he had a great article December of 2018 about Matthews being overlooked by the NFL HOF.

And when Gene Hickerson finally landed in the HOF - it would have been nice if he still knew what his name was or where he was and why.  Other guys get inducted after they die.  Meanwhile, it allows Me-O in the midst of another meow tantrum to be inducted on his terms. I'd rather see someone like Clay that never put "I before team"  than selfish entitled brats.  BTW, TO never made a playoff caliber team a Superbowl Champion either; but he did blame McNabb while he called Garcia a homo after post season losses.

Edited by Flugel

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

There were a lot of really good players on the 1985-1989 Browns, but the only player who I think has a chance for the HOF is Matthews, and that seems somewhat in the air. 

Well said Dutch!  And I'm afraid the more he gets overlooked - the more the those in charge of the selection process feel that practice makes perfect with keeping him out.

• 2 weeks later...

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Presenters for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2019 include a wife, a father and an agent for the upcoming inductees.

Inductees and presenters:

• Cornerback Champ Bailey: Jack Reale, Bailey's agent, attorney and friend.

• Contributor Pat Bowlen: Steve “Greek” Antonopulos, Broncos trainer who has worked for the team for 43 years.

Contributor Gil Brandt: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

• Tight end Tony Gonzalez: Dennis Allen, Gonzalez's cousin and best friend.

• Cornerback Ty Law: Byron Washington, Law's friend.

• Center Kevin Mawae: His wife, Tracy Mawae.

• Safety Ed Reed: His father, Edward Reed Sr.

• Safety Johnny Robinson: Johnny’s stepson, Bob Thompson.

This year will mark only the fifth time a player's wife has served as presenter. The others: Kim Singletary (Mike Singletary, 1998); Deanna Favre (Brett Favre, 2016); Gene Jones (Jerry Jones, 2017), and Brenda Warner (Kurt Warner, 2017).

It's the ninth time a father has presented his son for induction. The others:

Herb Hannah (John Hannah, 1991)

Roy Lott (Ronnie Lott, 2000)

Harold “Red” Allen (Marcus Allen, 2003)

William Sanders (Barry Sanders, 2004)

LeGrande “Grit” Young (Steve Young, 2005)

Clifton Roaf (Willie Roaf, 2012)

Lawrence Williams (Aeneas Williams, 2014)

Robert Brazile Sr. (Robert Brazile, 2018)

The Hall of Fame Game between the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos is Thursday, Aug. 1, at the Hall of Fame in Canton. Enshrinement ceremony is Saturday, Aug. 3. Here are ticket options.

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

By the way, no, I will not be going to that game.  It reminded me that I will be going elsewhere on that particular date.   See my current avatar for the specific location.  Tickets already reserved for that date.

Not exactly the most exciting list of presenters this year.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Presenters for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2019 include a wife, a father and an agent for the upcoming inductees.

Inductees and presenters:

• Cornerback Champ Bailey: Jack Reale, Bailey's agent, attorney and friend.

• Contributor Pat Bowlen: Steve “Greek” Antonopulos, Broncos trainer who has worked for the team for 43 years.

Contributor Gil Brandt: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

• Tight end Tony Gonzalez: Dennis Allen, Gonzalez's cousin and best friend.

• Cornerback Ty Law: Byron Washington, Law's friend.

• Center Kevin Mawae: His wife, Tracy Mawae.

• Safety Ed Reed: His father, Edward Reed Sr.

• Safety Johnny Robinson: Johnny’s stepson, Bob Thompson.

This year will mark only the fifth time a player's wife has served as presenter. The others: Kim Singletary (Mike Singletary, 1998); Deanna Favre (Brett Favre, 2016); Gene Jones (Jerry Jones, 2017), and Brenda Warner (Kurt Warner, 2017).

It's the ninth time a father has presented his son for induction. The others:

Herb Hannah (John Hannah, 1991)

Roy Lott (Ronnie Lott, 2000)

Harold “Red” Allen (Marcus Allen, 2003)

William Sanders (Barry Sanders, 2004)

LeGrande “Grit” Young (Steve Young, 2005)

Clifton Roaf (Willie Roaf, 2012)

Lawrence Williams (Aeneas Williams, 2014)

Robert Brazile Sr. (Robert Brazile, 2018)

The Hall of Fame Game between the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos is Thursday, Aug. 1, at the Hall of Fame in Canton. Enshrinement ceremony is Saturday, Aug. 3. Here are ticket options.

So you have to ask- what did Pat Bowlen and Gil Brandt "contribute" to the game? About nothing?  Shit, and I hate to say it- Art Schmodell belongs in before those two non-contributors. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

So you have to ask- what did Pat Bowlen and Gil Brandt "contribute" to the game? About nothing?  Shit, and I hate to say it- Art Schmodell belongs in before those two non-contributors. 

Gil Brandt was the architect of the Dallas Cowboys dynasty that really could be considered as good as any from the late 60s through the80s

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who cares about the presenters. It is the inductees who are important

I do like cool exciting presenters better than a bunch of relatives going on and on about someone.......sounds like Thanksgiving at home.-_-

Now I do like the interesting winners and their good stories.

Well the MLB HOF is over and now the NFL HOF game is only 10 days away........geeezzzz it seems like the NFL DRAFT was just a few weeks ago.  :huh:

GO BROWNS!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Well the MLB HOF is over and now the NFL HOF game is only 10 days away........geeezzzz it seems like the NFL DRAFT was just a few weeks ago.  :huh:

GO BROWNS!

Just got an email requesting agreement to play in my FFL today. Tomorrow NFL Network starts training camp coverage. It's about time to start thinking about my picks and getting ready for the New Browns. 🏈🤗🤩

On 7/21/2019 at 4:20 AM, hoorta said:

Gill Brandt I'd the Gold Standard in player prospecting and development.

Definitely worthy.

Z

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

Gill Brandt I'd the Gold Standard in player prospecting and development.

Definitely worthy.

Z

Cowboys- so what?  

If that's the standard- Dorsey is on the fast track to get there too.   :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Cowboys- so what?  

If that's the standard- Dorsey is on the fast track to get there too.   :) 

Well...let's wait 15-20 years. Brandt' teams won 13 division titles, appeared in 12 conf. title games and appeared in 5 Super Bowls  Where they were 2-3 with those 2 losses to the Steelers.    I will take that out of Dorsey's Browns.

The 2019 NFL season kicks off tonight!

(and BTW at 7 pm Houston at Cleveland on STO)

HOFGame1400EventPage.jpg

Kevin Hogan!!! He would have been a great backup here. Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully Baker never needs one ;)