THE BROWNS BOARD

RIP Browns LB Vince Costello...

nickers

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

We are quickly losing the Great 1964 Champions.

image.png

Time for another generation of Champions...

Zombo

We're past long overdue...

• Upvote 1

Costello made what many consider to be "the play" of the '64 Championship, when he made a perfect tackle of HOF RB Lenny Moore on a screen pass when there still was no score in the game. If Costello didn't make that great open-field tackle, Moore might have taken that screen pass all the way to the endzone. Costello did make the tackle, and the rest was history. 

As much that has been written about the Jets huge upset of the Colts in Super Bowl III, the Browns were huge underdogs in '64 too. 

• Thanks 1

I remember that game & you are correct. Few gave us ANY chance in that game, but we took the challenge & SKUNKED 'em 27 zip! Costello always seemed to be there for the key plays. He was a "clutch player".

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I remember that game & you are correct. Few gave us ANY chance in that game, but we took the challenge & SKUNKED 'em 27 zip! Costello always seemed to be there for the key plays. He was a "clutch player".

Mike

I think it was Galen Fiss who actually came up with the defensive game plan against the colts for that game..

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nickers said:

I think it was Galen Fiss who actually came up with the defensive game plan against the colts for that game..

Now that I think of it, and watched a video to confirm it, it was Galen Fiss who made that open-field tackle on Moore, not Vince Costello. 

And it was defensive back Bernie Parrish who came up with the game plan vs the Colts, not Fiss. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2014/12/cleveland_browns_1964_champion_14.html

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Now that I think of it, and watched a video to confirm it, it was Galen Fiss who made that open-field tackle on Moore, not Vince Costello. 

And it was defensive back Bernie Parrish who came up with the game plan vs the Colts, not Fiss. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2014/12/cleveland_browns_1964_champion_14.html

Yeah , that's it.. I couldn't think of his name.. Thanks..

On 6/24/2019 at 7:20 PM, Canton Mike said:

Sadly, the Browns' players I watched as a child are passing away.

RIP Vince.

Mike

Oh yes. They were bigger than life back then. The 64 championship was when I was 14.

God bless them all.

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The 64 championship was when I was 14.

I was age one & missed the whole thing. I was the kid, looking for some meat & potatoes, not in a jar...Did you all have moving video of this guy back in the stone ages? All I see is still photos & one HOF speech video...btw, RIP to the unknown Vince #50...  Edit--and Get Well yourself mjp28 👍

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:52 AM, nickers said:

We're past long overdue...

We had exciting chances in the Sipe and Kosar eras hopefully the group and coaches on the field now can be serious contenders in this century.

GO BROWNS forever!

• Upvote 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmM-6oBKELUH69D3LwASw

The thing is, the Browns have never had a Hall of Fame caliber  MLB.....and no LB at all that had played for the Browns has ever made the HOF. (overlooked Clay Matthews played OLB)

Costello may in fact have been the best MLB we have ever had.  Are there any other candidates? Who would they be?

57 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The thing is, the Browns have never had a Hall of Fame caliber  MLB.....and no LB at all that had played for the Browns has ever made the HOF. (overlooked Clay Matthews played OLB)

Costello may in fact have been the best MLB we have ever had.  Are there any other candidates? Who would they be?

I always loved Eddie "The Assassin" Johnson and Mike Johnson respectively...

• Upvote 1

I meet Vince, and a number of other '64 Browns, at their Hiram reunion back in '96. Biggest names, i.e., JB, were in the Gym and charged for autographs. "Other" Browns, including Costello, were scattered outside in pairs at tables around the athletics complex.

Talked with Vince the longest of any of them.

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know defenses were different back in the day but didn't Bill Willis play MLB? (or the version of it back in the 40s and 50s?)

Edit: Willis was a middle guard, which was another name for nose tackle. When defenses went from a 5-2 front to 4-3, the middle guard moved off the line and became the middle linebacker. 

So I'd go with Mike Johnson being the best MLB besides Costello. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know defenses were different back in the day but didn't Bill Willis play MLB? (or the version of it back in the 40s and 50s?)

Edit: Willis was a middle guard, which was another name for nose tackle. When defenses went from a 5-2 front to 4-3, the middle guard moved off the line and became the middle linebacker. 

So I'd go with Mike Johnson being the best MLB besides Costello. 

Compare that with the Bears, who have had 4 MLBs make the HOF:   Bill George,   Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher.

Can Schobert hang with the likes of  Costello, and Johnson and Johnson?

Of course, we did have Tom Cousineau.;)