THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns: 2019 will be Jarvis Landry’s last season with team

Vambo

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here is a great example of a true leader shooting down all the BS the media likes to stir up i.e. Baker vs Duke, Coach vs coach" "It's a non-issue" "Who is your source? Who are you getting all this from?" "We'll be fine"

The way Jarvis said "Who's your SOURCE? Where you gettin' this from?" (about the 1:05 mark) is CLASSIC!

These guys will train this media yet. LMAO

MIKE

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Flugel said:

What do guys like Landy and Carter show younger WRs?  If you consistently work hard and adjust/finish precise routes  - your QB will still throw to you whether you're covered or not. 

My deceased best friend forever was a Vikings fan.  He and I sat in the stands here in New England and watched Chris Carter jog his routes when he wasn't the primary.receiver.  He and I actually understood when Buddy Ryan said, "All he does is catch touchdowns".   -  He gave no effort unless it was all about him.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Orion said:

My deceased best friend forever was a Vikings fan.  He and I sat in the stands here in New England and watched Chris Carter jog his routes when he wasn't the primary.receiver.  He and I actually understood when Buddy Ryan said, "All he does is catch touchdowns".   -  He gave no effort unless it was all about him.

Wow!  Thanks for sharing that Orion.  Per articles I read and 1 feature story I saw about Carter, I was always only led to believe Ryan cut him for a cocaine problem in spite of the comment "All he does is catch TD passes."  I didn't realize it had way more to do with him not willing to run routes when he wasn't the primary receiver.  However, it does make sense when I look at Ryan's choice of words. Not only that, Carter wasn't a really likable kid when he showed up to the NFL with a feeling of entitlement in a sense of WTF did Buddy owe him at that time?

A big reason I chose Carter (in his career after Philly) for work ethic was when I read about him getting Randy Moss to work out with him leading up to one of the most insane WR rookie seasons ever. Moss said those workouts were brutal but they paved the way for 17 TD receptions in just 11 starts as an NFL rookie. Carter said he wanted to show him how to be a professional from the get-go. Then again, if there was 1 complaint about Moss it would be what he did when he wasn't the primary WR.  Maybe a lot of the Hall of Fame voters saw what your friend and you saw via their reluctance to vote Carter into the NFL Hall of Fame right away. 

Long story short with special thanks to my editor Orion, let's just apply my previous statement of "if you work hard and adjust/finish precise routes - your QB will throw to you whether you're covered or not" to Jarvis Landry. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Wow!  Thanks for sharing that Orion.

Your thinking however was also correct.....but that was AFTER Ryan got rid of him.  Carter DID learn his lesson (supposedly, though I never watched him live again).  He DID become a mentor.

• Thanks 1

Calloway had 7 drops last year and that doesn't count the plays he visibly quit on or didn't stick his hands out for.  He is not ready to step into Landry's shoes.. Higgins however may actually have that capability due to his vastly better hands.

Also, don't kid yourself -- Landry isn't "just" a possession receiver. If he's "just" anything, he's just a good wide receiver.