THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns: 2019 will be Jarvis Landry’s last season with team

Vambo

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/06/12/cleveland-browns-jarvis-landry-move-on-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3wj0GmAElaMoTZIZBpDjjqxJaqiLnDU4FByMK9JVQTNs_4a3_GkzzrRpo

The Cleveland Browns have been in the position of needing to overpay players to get them to re-sign and one of those players was Jarvis Landry.

Yes, you read the headline correctly. This upcoming season will be Jarvis Landry’s last year in a Cleveland Browns uniform. Landry was traded to the Browns by the Miami Dolphins for a fourth and a seventh-round pick prior to the 2018 season, and after just his second year with the team, it would not be a shock to see the Browns move on from him prior to the 2020 season.

The decision to move on from Landry will come down to two major factors: money and production. At this point in his career, the production does not match the money Landry is receiving, and as the Browns now have talent in need of extensions coming up soon, they will need that $15 million back.

The Browns are now faced with contract years for defensive standouts Joe Schobert and Damarious Randall, and offensive lineman J.C. Tretter, who played all 16 games on a bad ankle. These three players were more vital to the culture change and success in Cleveland last year than Landry, despite not giving a staged speech on Hard Knocks.

Next year superstar Myles Garrett will be ready to negotiate a new deal, along with his running mate Larry Ogunjobi. Again, two more players on the Browns roster that will need paid and play a larger role in the organization than Landry.

Stop it.

• Thanks 1

Ha, DvK.gif      

This writer, can take his mama's Bow tied wearing A$$ & get in line behind Cowturds...#udon'tmatter(writer lives in Columbus..Go be a Bengals fan 👉 get out!)

He's a possession receiver making a ton of money on a team that finally has young talent, young talent that will need to paid big money to remain on the Browns.

Wouldn't shock me at all if this is Landry's last season with the Browns. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

He's a possession receiver making a ton of money on a team that finally has young talent, young talent that will need to paid big money to remain on the Browns.

Jordy Nelson, Fitz,  Edlemen,  Sanders, Keenan, Woods.... All considered "possession" receivers.  Be careful how you slap around that title. 

I agree,  money will be an issue in the next couple years and we're going to find out how selfless this team is.  

But this is a clickbait article to troll at best.  But given the OP... Not a surprise. 

Edit:  Cupp, Thielen, Ty Williams, Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas - Long ass list of great receivers many call "possession".

I get comparing players, is sometimes a bad idea.But oh well, at this time of year. Not only does Landry catch & lead his team. He's no wussie when it comes to Blocking..I look at Jarvis Landry, as a Hines Ward player type, that players hated to play..Landry is inch smaller, playing a wet at best 196 lbs. And Ward was playing at 205lbs. Both would rattle anybodies teeth, disregarding who's body parts gets train wrecked..I'd even say Landry is properly playing these days with less protective padding than Hines was? I believe Hines took his thigh pads off first as a WR? Landry just finished his 5th season & Hines played 14.. At some point your football body will hit the preverbial wall. and That's my only worry about Landry. In the new pass happy league..Landry has 481 catches/5014 yards in 5 seasons..at the same 5th year, Hines had 330 catches/3888 yards..Ward ends up with a career of 1000 catches/12,083 yards in 14 years..Landry may not catch Hines numbers as a Brown? But he may catch Hines Ward's numbers playing 2 full years less..production equals money..  Edit---The NFL market has gone crazy (with suckers like us) paying guys like Brock OsWeiler 16M..I can now live with guys like Landry & OBJ's costing 15M a piece..Now if Vernon comes in playing like Jamie Collins 15M, getting up in age? Those are the meal tickets to cut/trade

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Jordy Nelson, Fitz,  Edlemen,  Sanders, Keenan, Woods.... All considered "possession" receivers.  Be careful how you slap around that title. 

I agree,  money will be an issue in the next couple years and we're going to find out how selfless this team is.  

But this is a clickbait article to troll at best.  But given the OP... Not a surprise. 

Edit:  Cupp, Thielen, Ty Williams, Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas - Long ass list of great receivers many call "possession".

Landry is the equivalent of a firstbaseman with little power.

He might play solid defense, hit for a decent average, be a good clubhouse guy, but eventually the team will look for a Frank Thomas to play first. 

I don't think it's given he's gone, not at all, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least either. 

This thread bothers me as it is "buying trouble" & looking for negatives.

Can't we just enjoy what we have, look at our Team in a positive tone, & deal with any issues as they happen?

Remember the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

Mike

• Upvote 5

I just don't want to hear crap about player's money....and especially not now.  This is not an issue now...if and when it ever becomes an issue, perhaps then it may warrant some discussion.  But in my opinion, for now:  put a sock in any of this kind of crap talk.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

well by trading for obj we're locked into jarvis. Like it or not. We cut jarvis and obj becomes a problem. Obj didnt come here for the white sandy beaches and crystsl clr lake erie water. He's here cause of jarvis, full stop. 

This for sure. We will hopefully be able to restructure his contract. 

6 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

This for sure. We will hopefully be able to restructure his contract. 

as much as i dont like the idea of an underperforming player making too much....we kind of have to suck it with jarvis. Not that i tjink he's underperforming....but even if he starts to, what can we do? Risk obj reverting to diva mode?

u wanna trade jsrvis u might as well trade obj too. Package them together....

• Upvote 1

Landry WAS productive last season.  He caught 81 freakin passes while drawing a lot of coverage.  His presence made Higgins & Njoku better.

We'll deal with next year after we see what THIS year deals us.

• Upvote 3

Agree with all about way too soon to be evaluating this year's value based on nothing at all. If this team is winning big time by the end of the season, then you  figure out how to retain as many pieces of that as you possibly can. There are unique and varied ways of crossing that bridge when we get to it. That bridge starts on the other side of however far we get in the playoffs.🤗

8 hours ago, Orion said:

His presence made Higgins & Njoku better.

We'll deal with next year after we see what THIS year deals us.

Adding in the Underdawg..it's going to be crazy fun to watch  https://www.brownszone.com/2019/06/14/getting-serious-antonio-callaway-buckles-down-expects-huge-second-season/   🚕 🚖

On 6/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I know, I thought the same thing.  We needed Landry's intensity and attitude after coming off a winless season, but when you look at his numbers and then the production, it's a tough sell.  That being said, should Landry blow up this year with 1200 yards and 10 TDs, then you can't get rid of him no matter what.  LOL.  He could easily have better numbers than OBJ if only for injury concerns.  

I certainly HOPE we don't cut him or trade him because I think he's good for our team, I really do.  Good for our franchise in ways that go beyond stats and analytics.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

.....................  He could easily have better numbers than OBJ if only for injury concerns............................. 

^ That is my biggest concern over everything else, including proposing to the kicking net.  

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Wow. That's some hard hitting journalism right there

In other news, the sky is blue.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

And why do you want to marry a kicking net?

Ummm, I don't - but OBJ did.

You must have missed that grand spectacle. 

Freak.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Adding in the Underdawg..it's going to be crazy fun to watch  https://www.brownszone.com/2019/06/14/getting-serious-antonio-callaway-buckles-down-expects-huge-second-season/   🚕 🚖

In the article Calloway says that he's taking it seriously this year.....that he didn't take it seriously last year, but THIS year he is taking it seriously.  -  That's nice of him.  

2 hours ago, Orion said:

.....that he didn't take it seriously last year, but THIS year he is taking it seriously.  -  That's nice of him.  

Well.. at least he's being honest..1.) Young Gator dubage lungs, failed his drug test, to piss away his nfl combine.. 2.) Hue with Haley hacked the rest of his lungs up in a meaningless NYG preseason game for more dope in his truck.. 3.) Finally, Maybe the smartest guy helping Callaway was Todd Haley? In Hard knocks, Haley told  Jarvis Landry.."That kids got a whole lotta guts & talent..Juice ya gotta take that kid under your wings & help the kid be a star"...4.) Honestly, the first guy Freddie noticed & spoke out about to the media being in camp shape this season  was? Antonio Callaway :)..Maybe Landry could not practice, having to chase a Cab Callaway pre-training? Changing his diet, should help his soft tissue injuries that were holding Cab out of Camp last season..am really pulling for the kid, cause so many fail..He's come a long way in 2 years.. Go 🚖!!  

On 6/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Me either.

That said, I think Landry brings an important leadership intangible for the younger guys that doesn't get measured in stats, speed, etc.  I mean this in a sense of work ethic as well as seeing him throw blocks or staying with blocks that other WRs don't do.  We can definitely use that for at least 1 more season of this IMO.

We've seen he doesn't have the jets to blaze by DBs any more than Cris Carter had them.  He's just not as tall as Carter to be that same red zone TD threat (while Carter also had talented WRs like Jake Reed and Randy Moss in the same formation).  What do guys like Landy and Carter show younger WRs?  If you consistently work hard and adjust/finish precise routes  - your QB will still throw to you whether you're covered or not.  These types of veterans are invaluable.  Even if just a coincidence, we had young WRs that improved their games last year like Callaway and Perriman. 

Understanding we haven't won more than 8 games since Joe Thomas' rookie season of 2007, I'm not in any hurry to get to 2020 with the roster and potential we're looking at in 2019...

• Like 1

Here is a great example of a true leader shooting down all the BS the media likes to stir up i.e. Baker vs Duke, Coach vs coach" "It's a non-issue" "Who is your source? Who are you getting all this from?" "We'll be fine"

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1