THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Wednesday 6/12/19

The Gipper

Here are today's survey questions,   and I admit that I took some of these straight from the WKNR Rizzo show that is going on now, plus a couple of others. Give your answers.

1. Brownie the Elf seems to be making a big comeback on Browns gear.   Do you like the elf?

2. Cleveland Browns Stadium aka bankrupt first energy.....needs a new nickname.   What do you think would be a good new nickname for it...now that the Browns appear to be poised to become winners.

3. Name someone you think has been an underrated as an all time athlete, i.e. someone who hasn't really gotten his due.  This can be from any sport from any era.

4.  What is your opinion about the so called "unwritten rules" in sports?  Things such as..celebrating a home run can get you beaned. Or running up the score. (The US women beat the Thailand women in soccer yesterday....by a score of 13-0...and are being accused of being unsportsmanlike for running up the score and celebrating after scoring some of the later goals)

5. I leave Friday for 2 weeks in New England.  What are your summer travel plans, if any?

Here are today's survey questions,   and I admit that I took some of these straight from the WKNR Rizzo show that is going on now, plus a couple of others. Give your answers.

1. Brownie the Elf seems to be making a big comeback on Browns gear.   Do you like the elf?

Love the elf.

2. Cleveland Browns Stadium aka bankrupt first energy.....needs a new nickname.   What do you think would be a good new nickname for it...now that the Browns appear to be poised to become winners.

Cleveland Browns Stadium

3. Name someone you think has been an underrated as an all time athlete, i.e. someone who hasn't really gotten his due.  This can be from any sport from any era.

Hakeem Olajuwon

4.  What is your opinion about the so called "unwritten rules" in sports?  Things such as..celebrating a home run can get you beaned. Or running up the score. (The US women beat the Thailand women in soccer yesterday....by a score of 13-0...and are being accused of being unsportsmanlike for running up the score and celebrating after scoring some of the later goals)

Love them.

5. I leave Friday for 2 weeks in New England.  What are your summer travel plans, if any?

Family reunion in Pennsylvania

Hree are today's survey questions,   and I admit that I took some of these straight from the WKNR Rizzo show that is going on now, plus a couple of others. Give your answers.

1. Brownie the Elf seems to be making a big comeback on Browns gear.   Do you like the elf?.......The most pitiful mascot in any sport. 

2. Cleveland Browns Stadium aka bankrupt first energy.....needs a new nickname.   What do you think would be a good new nickname for it...now that the Browns appear to be poised to become winners............ CBS is fine with me.

3. Name someone you think has been an underrated as an all time athlete, i.e. someone who hasn't really gotten his due.  This can be from any sport from any era.........Clay Matthews right off hand..

4.  What is your opinion about the so called "unwritten rules" in sports?  Things such as..celebrating a home run can get you beaned. Or running up the score. (The US women beat the Thailand women in soccer yesterday....by a score of 13-0...and are being accused of being unsportsmanlike for running up the score and celebrating after scoring some of the later goals).......... I'm good with them especially in MLB.

5. I leave Friday for 2 weeks in New England.  What are your summer travel plans, if any?.....Getting home and enjoying our year two upstairs renovations and having some guests coming in from out of town.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Love the Elf, 

Back to CBS is fine, but Haslam will want some sucker company to pay him millions to stick their name on it....   

Mathews and Olajuwon are good suggestions

You can call me the resident soccer fag if you want. I watched the first 30 minutes of that game, and after 10 minutes, it was obvious Thailand was completely overmatched, and  the USA was just toying with them. This is the big girl stage, no mercy rule like they have in Little League baseball.  As they pointed out- one of the tiebreakers deciding who advances to the knockout round is goal differential.  BTW, it could have been 14-0, the Americans had an early goal disallowed because of an offside.  

Lord willing- I'll complete the rest of the Ohio (River) to (Lake) Erie Bike Trail.  Cincinnati- Xenia- Columbus- Cleveland (I've done around 170 of the 300 or so miles) 

I like him well enough as a secondary logo...not the primary team logo....but put him on hats and t-shirts etc.  But not on the team's uniform.

By nickname...I mean like "The Dawg Pound"  or "The Black Hole"....though I hate the "naming rights" BS as much as anyone.  One that I heard that I kind of like is :   The Danger Zone.      

Here is one that is highly revered...but for some reason he seems to be forgotten when the whole NBA GOAT is mentioned:  Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

He has 6 titles, same as MJ,  he has 6 MVPs, more that MJ, Russell, Wilt, LeBron.  And he IS the all time leading scorer in NBA history...still. (LeBron would still need to score 6000 some pts. to beat him).

In football....Otto Graham may not be underrated around here in Browns town....but nationally he is definitely underrated.  Fair to say?  ONLY QB to lead his team to more than 4 consecutive title games ...and he led them to 10 (Luckman and Jim Kelly had 4 straight).  7 titles in those 10 years (Brady has 6 wins in 18 years...9 appearances)

In baseball, this may be esoteric, but it is supported by facts:  Kenny Lofton.   See this from ESPN:

Here's something that may shock you: Among players who played at least 50 percent of their career games in center field since 1901, Lofton ranks seventh in all-time WAR, behind only the legends -- Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffey Jr. and Joe DiMaggio. But he was one-and-done on the Hall of Fame ballot. I'd say that makes him underrated.

I think a lot of them are completely assinine:  A guy hits a homer off you and you throw at him? Fuck you....next time pitch better.  You are a team getting your ass beat, and the other team does not lay down but goes to score more?  Fuck you....play better and stop them.  A team celebrates after beating you?  Fuck you...get better and beat them. A guy steals a base in late innings when his team has like a 5 run lead?  And you start a fight or try to hit him?  Fuck you...throw his ass out when he tries to run.  In all these cases, if you did your own fucking job, these other teams or players would not be in a position to do something that you may get all butthurt over. Grow up and get better.

A couple of days going up the Maine Coast, then 6 nights in my timeshare in the center of Acadia NP.  Then over to Lincoln NH for 6 nights.  Later in the summer, a week in and around New York City.

Lord willing- I'll complete the rest of the Ohio (River) to (Lake) Erie Bike Trail.  Cincinnati- Xenia- Columbus- Cleveland (I've done around 170 of the 300 or so miles) 

Does that include part of the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath,?  You would go within a couple of blocks of my old office, in Barberton.

He's "Okay"

CBS

Clay Mathews 

Whatevs

Not much this year.. Family trip to Europe , next summer!

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Does that include part of the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath,?  You would go within a couple of blocks of my old office, in Barberton.

Yes, it does Gip. And unknowingly  I was down that way a few years ago when I rode from Independence to Massillon....  https://www.ohiotoerietrail.org/interactive-map/

For me, the logistic part is Columbus to Massillon. I suppose I can find a few cheap hotels along the way after a 50 mile day. 

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, love the Elf.

Amleto Monacelli, Mark Price, George Gervin come to mind.

The USA women went a little overboard, but the real question is how do you qualify for a World Cup and give up 13 goals?

Chengdu, China and Guilin, Hong Kong in August. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yes, it does Gip. And unknowingly  I was down that way a few years ago when I rode from Independence to Massillon....  https://www.ohiotoerietrail.org/interactive-map/

For me, the logistic part is Columbus to Massillon. I suppose I can find a few cheap hotels along the way after a 50 mile day. 

The Ohio and Erie Canal  Towpath ends down just south of New Philadelphia.  So, yes, how do you get from  Columbus over to there?  Is there a rail to trail path?  The map you show seems to put you on a number of just regular streets.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The Ohio and Erie Canal  Towpath ends down just south of New Philadelphia.  So, yes, how do you get from  Columbus over to there?  Is there a rail to trail path?  The map you show seems to put you on a number of just regular streets.

It's not completed yet.🙁 So yes, there are spots where you are on roads. A lot of riding through Columbus involves that. Plus, the Towpath currently ends at Harvard Avenue in Cleveland, so you're using city streets to get to the lake. One problem I had a few years ago was navigting the poorly marked route through downtown Akron. There's around a mile break until the path resumes next to the Aeros stadium. (Downtown Akron was built right on top of what was the canal. :)

25 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It's not completed yet.🙁 So yes, there are spots where you are on roads. A lot of riding through Columbus involves that. Plus, the Towpath currently ends at Harvard Avenue in Cleveland, so you're using city streets to get to the lake. One problem I had a few years ago was navigting the poorly marked route through downtown Akron. There's around a mile break until the path resumes next to the Aeros stadium. (Downtown Akron was built right on top of what was the canal. 😀)

I think they have completed that section through Akron.  I know that they were doing a lot of work on it.  If it is not done then it would be only for a very short distance.  Is that part of what you plan to traverse this summer?  If so, when? I may go check it out for you (though I will be gone the next couple of weeks)

Sorry he just doesn't look like a football player to me, just a little twirp.

Browns stadium

Bill Bradley, the Princeton Rhodes Scholar brain on the court who unselfishly kept the many stars on the NY Knicks team working together as one team. Later Senator Bill Bradley.

If somebody purposely takes out you best player, you go after theirs in retaliation.

I'm on vacation from the polyboard and hiking the mountains of Colorado as of today. Trumpettes will miss my harassment. 😜

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2019 at 9:50 AM, The Gipper said:

Of course! I grew up with him. 

I'm with Texas Ag on this...Browns' Stadium

Clay Mathews Jr. When he was in his mid 30s, John Madden (then announcing) said he was the best LB in the game. Can't believe he is not yet a HOF'er

1) Women's World Cup Soccer..Point differential is used as tie breakers..That's important. 2) Celebrating a goal in a worldwide tournament held once every 4 years? I don't blame those gals a bit. 3) I'm good with "Hurt my guy & I'll hurt yours".

Heading to Traverse City, Michigan to visit elderly cousin & will also fly fish the Sturgeon & Au Sable rivers as I have done before. Another stop will be "Tony's I75 Restaurant", where their BLT has a POUND of bacon. On my bucket list of stops & may send me TO the "bucket". LOL

Mike

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1