THE BROWNS BOARD

is TE our weakest

LBC mike

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Our TE's are good enough, especially since it will be a fairly non-featured position except maybe in the red zone with Njoku's length.  It is probably going to be more of a check down option for Baker, and he doesn't check down all that much.

If our coaching staff is worth their salt, they'll have far more than that in the works for utilize a promising young TE (Njoku) 

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I didn't mean to minimize things....Njoku caught around 60 balls last year.  I just don't see him being featured like a gronk

Who knows, im praying our coaches are flexible week to week given the depth of our personnel and the ability to attack in different ways.  

That's the beauty of a coach like Belichick, he is beholden to absolutely no mindset of play calling.  He'll call 40 runs as easily as he'll dial up 40 pass attempts. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Who knows, im praying our coaches are flexible week to week given the depth of our personnel and the ability to attack in different ways. 

Yep, I don't want the pros scouting our games and being accurate on what we will be doing in any one game. I want to see game plans developed week by week geared to what our strengths can do against various weaknesses.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:19 AM, Flugel said:

You can also mix in an inside or outside X stunt where the LBer blitzes 1 gap and the dlinemen seals the other.  It's not that tough to vary stuff up front.  Know your chess pieces and treat us to the sic em, sock em and sack em we deserve! 

I was considering a new thread for the following, but I'm going to piggy back off of your comment here into a post that is 'you' length worthy.        You kids can follow along if you like. 

- I've been giving a good deal of thought about what the Browns defense will look like.   Ended up watching some film from the Vikings for inspiration.   It's interesting noting some of the similarities in personnel between our respective team and I'm hoping Wilks has seen the same.  Besides the obvious given of Richardson now playing in Cleveland.    I mean in the way of having a franchise pass rusher - Garrett/Griffin and a player that can move between backer and edge rusher - Avery/Barr.      Saw a few curiosities in a short clip of SR's 2018 season.

- I would like to call the attention of the jury to twoplays in particular at 1:07 and 1:38.

The first is at 1:07 is pretty straight forward, it's an under front that brings Barr right onto the line as the strong side edge defender.  From here he has the option of 2 gapping once he see's the offset TE scrap down to the weakside for a possible kick out block.   For those at home not keeping track,  the initial run action is off an inside split zone.  Becoming all the more common in the NFL (yes, it's often run under center and not exclusively from the gun) and something the Brownies will be doing a great deal of moving forward.  Get used to seeing this from us, just hopefully better blocked and executed. 

The Hawks just added the wrinkle of the end around...   poorly, I might add.  The design on that is strange to me especially to the boundary when you're liking facing an edge defender there that will get upfield forcing your runner to take the ball and take a steep cut inside.     Getting off track again -   point being, the responsibility and alignment here is a role that Avery can and should fill in this defense beyond being a simple 2pt pass rusher.      Check Barr's alignment,  if that action comes his way he attacks the outside shoulder of the TE and the DB fills the lane.  Provided he doesn't stack the blocker and start creating his own havoc before help arrives.   If that were to be an outside zone, Barr would maintain his outside leverage, work off the block and turn it all back inside to the DB and the linebackers flowing down the line.      When you ask what personnel we have that gets a base defense and Avery on the field, that right there is a prime example of such a look.  

- The next at 1:38 is a bit more complex but a fun breakdown but before you go any further, just check out the block Richardson beats at 0:18 for me and keep that in mind.

When I talk about defenses "attacking" an offense, this might be one of the best examples of implementing looks up front that cause an offense far more headaches to solve and block than it does taking the time to install these in your playbook.  I'm not sure what the Vikes staff calls it but the closest I've personally seen to this being run myself it was tagged as Monster Over TX (we had a TT stunt but we'll ignore that for now) 

This look, without getting into further complexities at the moment accomplishes a few things.

* With the numbers shifted so heavily in shade and split, forces the offense either by designed of the OC or by a check at the line, to call a slide protection to that side. 

Why? Unless there is a monumental failure in communication, this look will almost ALWAYS see such an adjustment.   No, the QB will not be dealing with the strong side edge as a "free rusher" because that would only be his responsibility in 6 man, and in rare cases, 5 man pressure packages.  That is where sight adjustments and throwing hot come into play.   No offensive mind is going to give that man a free shot at the QB because the defense is seemingly in a zone look and not offering any other blitz threat.  Therefore the defense looks to be  dropping 7 into coverage and uhh...  beating a non existent blitz isn't a thing.   Back to it...

* When forcing the offense to slide protect, that means you're getting the bigs up front having to communicate the adjustment and to do it correctly in terms of assignment, you're getting them moving laterally because of the wide split from the edge and the shading of the interior lineman. 

Forcing the offense to think more pre-snap is always good.  The last thing you want is an Oline getting comfortable with what you're doing up front or even worse, coming out and base blocking your stale looks.      The RG in this case  (#69 ) see's the shade of Richardson and such an alignment lends itself to an outside move. This is where you combine having a superior football player and then putting them into a position to win.  THIS is the result you get from such work as a coach.  The guard on the slide picking up Richardson finds himself oversetting. Richardson see's it so he hits a little rip and swim and wins to the inside for the QB takedown.         

Don't get me wrong, I liked coach Williams and I'm a big believer in man coverage.  But his ability to generate pressure with 4 man fronts and at times getting creative with his looks was lacking.   If you've seen me mention Jim Schwartz' name before (D-coord for the Eagles), then go check out their pressure rates with 4 man pass rushes.   The man is one of the best in the business at getting after a QB without the use of the blitz.       Our 4 man rushes last year were incredibly hit and miss as a collective unit.  I pray Wilks can help remedy that.

*  Puts your best edge rusher on the opposite side into a lock for having a 1 on 1 look vs his blocker unless there is chip help present.   In the case of this video, Staley vs Griffin, there is not.   Not ever team has a  Staley,  hell... many don't even have a Greg Robinson.    Want to make someone in pass pro sweat bullets?  Try having to deal with this look a few times a game but instead of it being Griffen, it's now Myles.        

Let's say Myles wins a 1on1 like this early, you now force the offense to assign chip help to that side.   TE? Cool, you've taken a fast threat and either removed him from the pattern or you've delayed him getting into his route.  RB? Outstanding, your most logical outlet receiver/checkdown has been taken away without the defense having the need to do anything more than use 4 bodies.

Before you ask me about what the LG is doing, this is the final bind something a bit more exotic does to the Oline.

Forces the LG to identify where he is to lend help and make a decision in pass pro.  

The LT is every bit in danger of oversetting just like you saw the RG do.  Especially if the edge rusher has a wide(r) split.   In this case if he is beat inside, the LG might be expected to pick up the slack.    But look where his eyes are going first?   To the linebacker overtop of him, then (head on a swivel/good coaching) he checks for the inside move from the corresponding edge.  Finally getting his head around in time to help the center with Linval Joeseph crossing his face.      The LG is in a hell of a spot here.  If he goes to immediately help his tackle, he might reach for nothing but air and possibly have a delay blitz walk right past him.   If he spends too much time expecting the 5th man, he might already see his LT being beaten inside. And finally if he does any of the former, he could end up being late to help with a TT (tackle tackle) stunt and find himself having a 300+ lb lineman getting under his pads and sending him back into his QB.  Or worse, Myles on a loop from the far side blowing right by him.

These are examples of little things I expect to look forward too.  Wilks is doing some new stuff with the secondary and that's great.  But the help they really need comes from up front and this is where I'm hoping we can see a coach let the big dogs do their thing.  And maybe getting them into some winning spots along the line would be cool.  What I've been able to dig up on our new D coord so far is encouraging. But I haven't had time to go back and start watching last years Cardinals defense itself all that much (yet).    I'm merely trying to highlight a microcosm of my concern - finally having talent and now maximizing it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I was considering a new thread for the following, but I'm going to piggy back off of your comment here into a post that is 'you' length worthy.        You kids can follow along if you like.

- I've been giving a good deal of thought about what the Browns defense will look like.   Ended up watching some film from the Vikings for inspiration.

A lot to take in there... enough to deserve it's own thread Looking Ahead to the 2019 Browns' D...

Vikes are an odd-ish choice. A couple parallels ring true, but are they enough when others fall flat? Our best Barr parallel walked months ago... secondaries have opposite strengths. On plus side a Schobert-Kendricks comparison isn't a bad one...

Would Wilks' 2017 Panthers' D make more sense? Personnel seem further apart, but the DC impact has to be revealing. Step removed from DC, but his 2018 AZ D has more player parallels.

Cards had a steaming pile at DL last season outside of Chandler Jones.. Wilks would have to get creative [and risky] to get any sort of pressure from them.

They picked Nkemdiche in the first a couple years ago and he's such a bust they're probably going to release him this week.. They did pick zach allen from BC in this year's first, so they could have a competent DL this season, but last year's tape probably isn't the greatest way to evaluate Wilks.

When your free-agency upgrade has a dad bod [45-year-old Terrell Suggs], you've got problems.

Cards did get the Browns special teams gang back together .. Andy Lee and Zane Gonzalez.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:33 AM, Tour2ma said:

A lot to take in there... enough to deserve it's own thread Looking Ahead to the 2019 Browns' D...

Vikes are an odd-ish choice. A couple parallels ring true, but are they enough when others fall flat? Our best Barr parallel walked months ago... secondaries have opposite strengths. On plus side a Schobert-Kendricks comparison isn't a bad one...

Would Wilks' 2017 Panthers' D make more sense? Personnel seem further apart, but the DC impact has to be revealing. Step removed from DC, but his 2018 AZ D has more player parallels.

I feel they are. Hell, if Peppers was still on roster the parallel to Harrison (my 2nd favorite safety in the NFL) would mean I would have to extend the comparison to the secondary as well.   Now I mighteven  go to say that Avery is a better Barr comparison (minus height) than your parallel in mind.  Which I presume was Collins?   To be clear, I'm being specific about the players up front and "some" of the potential new looks we could see.   Sans personnel, you are right - watching what the Panthers defense did 2 years ago would be more revealing  in terms schematic vision as a whole.   However, save for Keuchly, this defense is better (and different) than Carolina at damn near every spot now so player to player I don't see the similarities from then or now between our teams. 

Honestly I can't see the similarities between this team and the Cardinals of a year ago...  provided I read that correct?

22 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Cards had a steaming pile at DL last season outside of Chandler Jones. Wilks would have to get creative [and risky] to get any sort of pressure from them.

They picked Nkemdiche in the first a couple years ago and he's such a bust they're probably going to release him this week.. They did pick zach allen from BC in this year's first, so they could have a competent DL this season, but last year's tape probably isn't the greatest way to evaluate Wilks.

When your free-agency upgrade has a dad bod [45-year-old Terrell Suggs], you've got problems.

Cards did get the Browns special teams gang back together .. Andy Lee and Zane Gonzalez.

Jones is a hell of a player and he lines up all over that d front too.         Closest thing we have physically at that spot to Allen would be Chad Thomas.   Save for the fact Allen looks a bit more explosive in his first step and has better hand usage.        I really don't see much in the way of the two respective secondaries matching up minus that they have Peterson and we have a good young Ward.  

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I feel they are. Hell, if Peppers was still on roster the parallel to Harrison (my 2nd favorite safety in the NFL) would mean I would have to extend the comparison to the secondary as well.   Now I mighteven  go to say that Avery is a better Barr comparison (minus height) than your parallel in mind.  Which I presume was Collins?   To be clear, I'm being specific about the players up front and "some" of the potential new looks we could see.   Sans personnel, you are right - watching what the Panthers defense did 2 years ago would be more revealing  in terms schematic vision as a whole.   However, save for Keuchly, this defense is better (and different) than Carolina at damn near every spot now so player to player I don't see the similarities from then or now between our teams. 

Honestly I can't see the similarities between this team and the Cardinals of a year ago...  provided I read that correct?

Jones is a hell of a player and he lines up all over that d front too.         Closest thing we have physically at that spot to Allen would be Chad Thomas.   Save for the fact Allen looks a bit more explosive in his first step and has better hand usage.        I really don't see much in the way of the two respective secondaries matching up minus that they have Peterson and we have a good young Ward.  

The Jones family is a badass gene pool. The runt of the litter Jon Jones is the baddest mma fighter on the planet.  

On 6/19/2019 at 6:20 PM, tiamat63 said:

- I've been giving a good deal of thought about what the Browns defense will look like.   Ended up watching some film from the Vikings for inspiration.   It's interesting noting some of the similarities in personnel between our respective team and I'm hoping Wilks has seen the same.  Besides the obvious given of Richardson now playing in Cleveland.    I mean in the way of having a franchise pass rusher - Garrett/Griffin and a player that can move between backer and edge rusher - Avery/Barr.      Saw a few curiosities in a short clip of SR's 2018 season.

the responsibility and alignment here is a role that Avery can and should fill in this defense beyond being a simple 2pt pass rusher.      Check Barr's alignment,  if that action comes his way he attacks the outside shoulder of the TE and the DB fills the lane.  Provided he doesn't stack the blocker and start creating his own havoc before help arrives.   If that were to be an outside zone, Barr would maintain his outside leverage, work off the block and turn it all back inside to the DB and the linebackers flowing down the line.      When you ask what personnel we have that gets a base defense and Avery on the field, that right there is a prime example of such a look.

When I talk about defenses "attacking" an offense, this might be one of the best examples of implementing looks up front that cause an offense far more headaches to solve and block than it does taking the time to install these in your playbook.  I'm not sure what the Vikes staff calls it but the closest I've personally seen to this being run myself it was tagged as Monster Over TX (we had a TT stunt but we'll ignore that for now)

Forcing the offense to think more pre-snap is always good.  The last thing you want is an Oline getting comfortable with what you're doing up front or even worse, coming out and base blocking your stale looks.      The RG in this case  (#69 ) see's the shade of Richardson and such an alignment lends itself to an outside move. This is where you combine having a superior football player and then putting them into a position to win.  THIS is the result you get from such work as a coach.  The guard on the slide picking up Richardson finds himself oversetting. Richardson see's it so he hits a little rip and swim and wins to the inside for the QB takedown.         

Don't get me wrong, I liked coach Williams and I'm a big believer in man coverage.  But his ability to generate pressure with 4 man fronts and at times getting creative with his looks was lacking.   If you've seen me mention Jim Schwartz' name before (D-coord for the Eagles), then go check out their pressure rates with 4 man pass rushes.   The man is one of the best in the business at getting after a QB without the use of the blitz.       Our 4 man rushes last year were incredibly hit and miss as a collective unit.  I pray Wilks can help remedy that.

These are examples of little things I expect to look forward too.  Wilks is doing some new stuff with the secondary and that's great.  But the help they really need comes from up front and this is where I'm hoping we can see a coach let the big dogs do their thing.  And maybe getting them into some winning spots along the line would be cool.  What I've been able to dig up on our new D coord so far is encouraging. But I haven't had time to go back and start watching last years Cardinals defense itself all that much (yet).    I'm merely trying to highlight a microcosm of my concern - finally having talent and now maximizing it.

Thatta boy with the length of write-up - appreciate the passion! Excellent summary and illustration of what Minnesota was able to do with Richardson's talent within a very efficient front 4.  Gridiron chess gets fun when you have the attack pieces like that. 

Having only 2 reliable defenders up front last year felt like we were defending against a power play 2 men down all year.  What started off looking like nobody was going to be able to stop the Ogunjobi-Garrett tandem on 1 side of the formation - became the reality our DC began to separate them to opposite sides of the formation to compensate for 2 major weaknesses (especially against the run).  As you alluded to, it was fun watching the video envisioning something similar here with the 2 major upgrades to our front 4.  I think that reality was a big reason why Williams had trouble getting consistent heat from the 4 guys upfront.

I like your situational thought of using Avery like Minnesota used Barr.  Barr has the wing span of a guy that is 6'5" when it comes to the outside arm while he keeps outside leverage.  Even though Avery is only 6' he's more compact than Barr in the sense he can naturally keep a better pad height and win leverage that way.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me about Richardson in the video you shared is how infrequently offensive linemen were able to sustain their blocks beyond the initial contact (inclusive of double teams). Nobody could even seal him off.  That's exciting!

Edited by Flugel

I have been excited about Richardson since we signed him & think his presence & play will be an absolute key to our D. In addition, the Browns signed him for 3 years & he has stated that someone finally gave him a "home". IMHO, that alone will pay huge dividends as he is "all in". Count me among Sheldon Richardson's Fans.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Flugel said:

Having only 2 reliable defenders up front last year felt like we were defending against a power play 2 men down all year.  What started off looking like nobody was going to be able to stop the Ogunjobi-Garrett tandem on 1 side of the formation - became the reality our DC began to separate them to opposite sides of the formation to compensate for 2 major weaknesses (especially against the run).  As you alluded to, it was fun watching the video envisioning something similar here with the 2 major upgrades to our front 4.  I think that reality was a big reason why Williams had trouble getting consistent heat from the 4 guys upfront.

Totally agree and this is why I am really looking forward to our front 4 this year. Whole new defensive ballgame when you have so much up front quality pressure to dial up. Getting the ball to an improved offensive team a lot more will add a lot of wins this season.👍

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/most-important-questions-ahead-of-training-camp-no-6-how-does-tight-end-shake-ou

Article highlighting the TE situation. Decent quick read that gives some nuggets of info on the the unheralded guys too. Travis Kelce, former teammate of Harris, interviewed for it. 

Pharoah Brown is apparently a big dude with local ties. Stephen Carlson is, like DeValve, a Princeton guy that did some good things in mini camp.

Not sure why Orson Charles keeps getting lumped in as a TE. Definitely more of a FB imo.

If memory serves Kitchen’s used his fair share of 2 or 3 TE sets, so wouldn’t surprise me if 3 or 4 of these guys make the team and Kitchens puts them to good use.

39 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

DeValve, a Princeton guy 

anybody think Belicheck will give up anything in value for Seth? We paid a 4th and his deal is up in 2020..Pats have no starting TE's till Ben Watson returns in week 5(whine🤧 )..Seth was raised in Connecticut.. 

20 hours ago, gumby73 said:

anybody think Belicheck will give up anything in value for Seth? We paid a 4th and his deal is up in 2020..Pats have no starting TE's till Ben Watson returns in week 5(whine🤧 )..Seth was raised in Connecticut.. 

Who knows Gumbs...   Belicheck may give us an old ping pong table in storage or some late 7th round pick he doesn't need in exchange for the peak-a-boo-boo career DeValve has continued to offer.   Cajuste was the same guy.  The only difference was he suited up and tried to play though injuries during training camp only to be told his slight improvement in blocking the last week or so was too little too late. 

I don't know if you remember this cup of coffee career - but we had a TE named Evan Moore out of Stanford. He got injured so frequently that 1 guy used to call him Evan Moorecelain.   Like Cameron, Cajuste and DeValve, I believe Moore was also a WR in college.   During a very short period of time here Moore proved he had great hands and could get open so our FO gave him a raise.  Unfortunately, he had an inventory of head injuries to the extent he'd get concussions when his head wasn't any part of the collision. During the preseason of the year he had his raise, he had 1 or 2 concussions that prevented him from starting and participating in very many regular season games for us that year.  Even Jordan Cameron had trouble staying healthy once he became a starter.  After starting 14 games and earning a Pro Bowl honor in 2013, he only started 9 games in 2014.  Then he went to Miami and started all 16 games the only season of a 6 year career (2015) only to start just 3 times in 2016.  In all, he only started more than 9 games twice in 6 years.

None of these guys remind of the 1977 SEC Lineman of the Year (Ozzie Newsome) according to the Atlanta TD Club and the Birmingham QB Club. Some Magazines and Publications have called Ozzie a WR in college but his HOF Coach Bear Bryant called him an "End" in his wishbone offense; and always praised his blocking skills first.  It's probably why he put him over Don Hutson as the best "End" to ever play at Alabama.  In some of the college offenses today - these guys with Tweener frames aren't being trained for dual purpose at all.  As we've witnessed frequently, it's not just the mental/cognitive transition these guys struggle with. It's often the physical transition that overhelms these guys.  When you think about it, even the dual purpose gems like the Gronks and Bavaros got beat-up so you can only imagine what the workload does to lighter guys (bulking up into a new niche) that weren't born to play the position... Maybe the biggest reason Gronk worked was because the last time he had a checkup from the neck-up in high school - the head specialist summarized the diagnostic as "we couldn't find anything."   Hearsay gone viral in Western NY said Gronk's dad complained "I had to pay a ridiculous Co-Pay to hear my son doesn't have a brain?  I've been saying that for years and didn't get a penny!"

Sorry for ramblin on Gumbs. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Sorry for ramblin on Gumbs. 

Ramblin? I was just hoping all the other threads besides Personal Conduct was still working;).(ha! Schoolie,Man-hell & Gordo..Oh My!!). I have been a huge fan of all the TE draft classes going way back..Gronk may have been my brainless favorite also.. I think the TE position has caught a injury curse since the redskins, Jordan Reed to the Browns Jordan Cameron started getting banged & it won't let go..Darren Fells, Ben Watson, Kyle Rudolph, Zach Ertz,Jessie James, Brent Celek & after a year in booth, Jason Witten may have the cleanest bill of health? Delanie Walker,Charles Clay & Jimmy Graham may not have to many game hits left? What's been sad, is the young Todd Heap classes of Eifert,Heuerman,Jake Butt,Hunter Henry,Nick Vannett,Maxx Williams & Austin Hooper draft classes just can't stay on the field :((seems DeValve'ish)..also, seems like the survivors at this point at TE are a.) Eric Ebron just needed some Andrew Luck..b) Kittle at the 49'ers with Brent Celek c) OJ Howard & Tyler Brate at TB...Bonus thought*...am not sure what the Ravens are thinking of doing with the QB from Penn St Chase McSorley? but, I luv watching me some former BYU QB Taysom Hill at the Saints :wub:.. Tayson was 6'2" and a ripped 235 pounds coming out of BYU..McSorley can't be that? we shall see👀 he's gut-zie crazy enough.. 

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

let go..Darren Fells, Ben Watson

I've never understood why we let Ben Watson go, all those years ago.  A GOOD TE and a good person.

...and I liked Darren Fells.  A good blocker, caught it when it was thrown at him, and he was a good mentor to Baker.  Like the time Baker got blasted trying to get to the sideline.....Fells went up to him on the sidelines, grabbed his head and said, "Please don't get hurt.  We need you."  And Baker responded, "Yes sir."  

We let Fells go and replaced him with Demetrius Harris., who has the same skill set.  (it's hard to question Dorsey however)

On 6/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, gumby73 said:

I was just hoping all the other threads besides Personal Conduct was still working;).

I hear ya...

Most eagerly anticipated season in decades is just around the corner, yet there seems to be a lot less to talk about than years past.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Most eagerly anticipated season in decades is just around the corner, yet there seems to be a lot less to talk about than years past.

2q1.gif      7BZB.gif        BEWARE OF DAWG CHECKS WALKING IN or OUT OF GAMEDAY TAVERN..if ya get any 💩  poo on your shoes? wipe your paws 🐾  cause to some, Th"WE"y, will still stink .. :ph34r:   Am logging in as Don Shula till all HeL* L* breaks loose ..Should we send Marko in to disinfect the place? 🤣 No wonder all of Cali takes the summer off 🌴     

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I will have to post a trivia thread.

Yeah, that will solve it. 

Were screwed... :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I hear ya...

I'm checking sometimes the website only to see that there are no news. This is the substance abuse-domestic violence season so no news is good news. 

Probably most of us will come back and join the combo when Preseason starts.

I hope you all are doing fine ;)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nero said:

Yeah, that will solve it. 

Were screwed... :D

I'll start..The first road game, I really want to go see is at The Ravens..As soon as I looked to the wife & said "September 29th" a volt of lightning struck me saying "hey that's on your wedding anniversary" :o  The wife comes back with "It's ok , you & Michael (her denver bronco fan son) can* go"...am like damm', 🤔 i know am putting a wildcard in her deck of cards to play anytime... do i risk 1 of the marriage poker chip's if I go and do this?