THE BROWNS BOARD

Hamilton the Musical

TexasAg1969

We went to the Bass Concern Hall on the UT campus in Austin to see it last night as the Broadway production came here for the next two plus weeks. The actor doing Hamilton is the same as the one who did such a fantastic job in the Chicago production of the play and Burr was played by one of the Broadway actors from Hamilton.

I have only two words: Sheer genius!

Got to be the best play I have ever seen live and I have seen many on Broadway & Austin/Dallas including James Earl Jones (when in real fighting shape) in the Great White Hope (my previous #1) on Broadway. And the concert hall had free earphones for people like me with hearing deficit. Did not even need my hearing aids because it was so tapped in to all actors on stage.

If you can score tickets in an area near you as it travels around the country-go see it!!👍

Here is where it will be:

https://www.broadway.org/tours/details/hamilton,673

How about on Broadway for my 35th anniversary later this summer when I go to NYC?  (don't know that I can get them there at a decent price)

Hook me up if you can.

And speaking of "Hamilton"...I think I got you beat as far as seeing certain actors:    I have seen Margaret Hamilton perform live!  (Yes, THE Wicked Witch of the West).  Cleveland Playhouse back in the 70s.   (she was from Cleveland area)

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

How about on Broadway for my 35th anniversary later this summer when I go to NYC?  (don't know that I can get them there at a decent price)

Hook me up if you can.

And speaking of "Hamilton"...I think I got you beat as far as seeing certain actors:    I have seen Margaret Hamilton perform live!  (Yes, THE Wicked Witch of the West).  Cleveland Playhouse back in the 70s.   (she was from Cleveland area)

I don't know Gip. James Earl Jone's acting career started in the theater and that role led to what we've seen for the following almost 50 years. It was a very powerful portrayal of the fighter Jack Johnson and they didn't have to do anything special to make him look like Johnson. He looked like a lean, mean fighting machine in the play and that voice is what captivated the entire production. He won the Tony for it in 1969 and Jane Alexander won it as best actress in the same play as his wife. Hard to beat two Tony Award winners performing together in the Tony Award winning best play.

BTW they used the name Jack Jefferson in the play, but there was no doubt it was Jack Johnson since the play paralleled Johnson's life.

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Hook me up if you can.

I've heard nothing but good about Hamilton the Musical.

Also thank goodness for Hamilton the Founding Father and our banking system and metric coinage and not that wacky European stuff.

And yes when I think Hamilton I think "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too"......Margret.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 8:29 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

We went to the Bass Concern Hall on the UT campus in Austin to see it last night as the Broadway production came here for the next two plus weeks. The actor doing Hamilton is the same as the one who did such a fantastic job in the Chicago production of the play and Burr was played by one of the Broadway actors from Hamilton.

I have only two words: Sheer genius!

Got to be the best play I have ever seen live and I have seen many on Broadway & Austin/Dallas including James Earl Jones (when in real fighting shape) in the Great White Hope (my previous #1) on Broadway. And the concert hall had free earphones for people like me with hearing deficit. Did not even need my hearing aids because it was so tapped in to all actors on stage.

If you can score tickets in an area near you as it travels around the country-go see it!!👍

Here is where it will be:

https://www.broadway.org/tours/details/hamilton,673

Hamilton tickets in New York City are about 200 bucks apiece so I don’t think we will go to that. I think we can find some play that my wife will like that will be more like between 35 and $50. Any suggestions

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Hamilton tickets in New York City are about 200 bucks apiece so I don’t think we will go to that. I think we can find some play that my wife will like that will be more like between 35 and $50. Any suggestions

Haven't been to a Broadway play there in decades, but I hear To Kill A Mockingbird is excellent. Otherwise if you have never seen Phantom of the Opera or Chicago, those are both there now.

https://www.broadway-show-tickets.com/?msclkid=228ac9889b93179eb08a94b9880a5964&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=New York - Broadway - English - USA - Search - Desktop - All&utm_term=%2Btop %2Bbroadway %2Bplays&utm_content=Plays - BMM

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Haven't been to a Broadway play there in decades, but I hear To Kill A Mockingbird is excellent. Otherwise if you have never seen Phantom of the Opera or Chicago, those are both there now.

https://www.broadway-show-tickets.com/?msclkid=228ac9889b93179eb08a94b9880a5964&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=New York - Broadway - English - USA - Search - Desktop - All&utm_term=%2Btop %2Bbroadway %2Bplays&utm_content=Plays - BMM

Chicago has been playing there for ever I saw that the last time I was in New York City in 2001.