THE BROWNS BOARD

The Bob Emergency: A Study of Athletes Named Bob

MLD Woody

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why don't you summarize this instead of asking us to spend nearly 2 hours on it.   Which I had no interest in doing.

It's simply a 2 hour video of the greatest sports storyteller of the moment talking about athletes named Bob, through statistics and sharing some stories. 

There's no point in summarizing, as there is no point in complaining. Once you have watched a Jon Bois video you become a fan. How to do that? Simply clicking on it.

I've watched videos about sports I don't care about simply because I love the way he tells stories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nero said:

It's simply a 2 hour video of the greatest sports storyteller of the moment talking about athletes named Bob, through statistics and sharing some stories. 

There's no point in summarizing, as there is no point in complaining. Once you have watched a Jon Bois video you become a fan. How to do that? Simply clicking on it.

I've watched videos about sports I don't care about simply because I love the way he tells stories. 

never heard of this Jon Bois...but after the first minute or so watching the saga of the woeful Bob Hamelin baseball cards I knew I had to shut it down before I got sucked into this. You can feel it coming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nero said:

Well....whatever.  Though why Bob?  Why not Bill? Tom? Mike? Dave? Justin? Jason? Jalen? Malik?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well....whatever.  Though why Bob?  Why not Bill? Tom? Mike? Dave? Justin? Jason? Jalen? Malik?

Watch the video.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Watch the video.

Maybe, when I have some time.  Things have been a little out of sorts here in SW Ohio the last couple of days. We had an EF3 tornado come though town Monday night. I'm fine, outside of having low water pressure the last couple of days.  Some other folks on the north side of town weren't so lucky- hundreds of houses got leveled. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Maybe, when I have some time.  Things have been a little out of sorts here in SW Ohio the last couple of days. We had an EF3 tornado come though town Monday night. I'm fine, outside of having low water pressure the last couple of days.  Some other folks on the north side of town weren't so lucky- hundreds of houses got leveled. 

It’s been something else this year. Had one touch down south of my town on the 18th

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Be safe.

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Take care, H. That's more important than a video.

6 hours ago, nickers said:

Fuck that shit... if it's not browns related.. I don't give 2 shits

Then ask us if we care should your house gets leveled by a tornado. Sounds like the chicks who were calling in bitching they were missing the Bachelorette because there was continuous weather coverage of the tornado that was tearing up north Dayton. Not trying to have a pity party- no big deal- until you're the one who's house is reduced to match sticks. Amazing with the amount of damage only one guy got killed- when a car flew into his house. FWIW, I missed out on 90% of game one of the Stanley Cup Finals.  Um, some things are more important. 

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

Take care, H. That's more important than a video.

It was strange Nero, almost no rain or wind at my house. Tornadoes are like that. Watching the weather with the guy giving a projected track. Hmmm.... if it shows about another two miles farther south, it's time to head to the basement...  IIRC think you mentioned you do architecture- riding the bike up north to do a perusal of the damage- besides the downed trees, there was insulation all over the place- miles away from the actual storm.  I've always been fascinated by what can happen to trees when they're in the direct path of major tornado. With the sudden gust of wind, they don't get uprooted- instead, snapped in half like a tooth pick. We're talking big trees that are two feet or more in diameter. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Then ask us if we care should your house gets leveled by a tornado. Sounds like the chicks who were calling in bitching they were missing the Bachelorette because there was continuous weather coverage of the tornado that was tearing up north Dayton. Not trying to have a pity party- no big deal- until you're the one who's house is reduced to match sticks. Amazing with the amount of damage only one guy got killed- when a car flew into his house. FWIW, I missed out on 90% of game one of the Stanley Cup Finals.  Um, some things are more important. 

It was strange Nero, almost no rain or wind at my house. Tornadoes are like that. Watching the weather with the guy giving a projected track. Hmmm.... if it shows about another two miles farther south, it's time to head to the basement...  IIRC think you mentioned you do architecture- riding the bike up north to do a perusal of the damage- besides the downed trees, there was insulation all over the place- miles away from the actual storm.  I've always been fascinated by what can happen to trees when they're in the direct path of major tornado. With the sudden gust of wind, they don't get uprooted- instead, snapped in half like a tooth pick. We're talking big trees that are two feet or more in diameter. 

Never been to a natural disaster scenario. Here we only have very calm earthquakes every 5 years or so. 

Insulation has very low density, so it makes sense that once unprotected, it can fly miles on a tornado. 

About trees, IIRC their root volume is similar to the volume of tree you can see above the surface, so it makes sense that they are snapped, as both earth and the tornado interact as a torque, and the taller the tree the bigger the torque.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

I have had a tornado rip through my yard when I was 8 years old.. It took apart a tree like a toothpick... I'm not trying to be insensitive.. I don't know what the video is about,, Like Gipper.. Im not investing 2 hours of time.. but whatevers.. Hope you're safe all the same

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Never been to a natural disaster scenario. Here we only have very calm earthquakes every 5 years or so. 

Insulation has very low density, so it makes sense that once unprotected, it can fly miles on a tornado. 

About trees, IIRC their root volume is similar to the volume of tree you can see above the surface, so it makes sense that they are snapped, as both earth and the tornado interact as a torque, and the taller the tree the bigger the torque.

I'll stray off topic one last time Nero. Here in SW Ohio anyone who's old enough remembers the 1974 Xenia tornado. I was in college (University of Dayton) around 15 miles away at the time. I've never seen the sky look like that since- it was looking up and seeing what looked like hundreds of ping pong balls, (probably incipient tornadoes).   The storm that ripped through Xenia was an EF5, highest category, with at least 200+ MPH winds. They wouldn't let anyone into town for a couple weeks afterward, but when I drove through there, it was a sight I'll never forget.  There was a track through town around a half mile wide, and miles long that looked like a team of bulldozers had been hard at work on. Everything was flattened down to the ground. It's amazing more people didn't get killed. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I remember the Xenia tornado in 1974....but I was nowhere near it, being here in Akron area.

About 10 or so years later we had one rip through Newton Falls and Niles. Pretty horrific. 

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

About 10 or so years later we had one rip through Newton Falls and Niles. Pretty horrific. 

MAY 31, 1985

My wife was home and saw it go through Stillwagon Rd not far from where it hit on 422 on the strip in Niles about 1/2 mile from our house. 

Screenshot_2019-05-30-22-13-09.png

A cleaner picture, I was in Girard heading home it was  F5 through Niles the steel company I worked for then replaced a few buildings that were leveled. We just rolled out the drawings and just reordered. It was unreal.

Screenshot_2019-05-30-22-24-29.png

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I remember the Xenia tornado in 1974....but I was nowhere near it, being here in Akron area.

Our company did a LOT of steel work in Xenia about 10 years before I got there, Xenia was a royal mess and not that far from our steel joist manufacturing plant in Indiana.

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Our company did a LOT of steel work in Xenia about 10 years before I got there, Xenia was a royal mess and not that far from our steel joist manufacturing plant in Indiana.

I remember watching an interview with a guy who had watch two massive oak trees in his front yard yanked up from his front yard and twisted together like pretzels. They showed pictures of them before and after the tornado. The trees were huge and afterwards they were just gone. 

We had an F5 in Jarrell about 10 miles from me where it leveled a small subdivision so badly that the asphalt was even stripped from the roads in many places. Over 20 people killed in that area.

From wiki:

"The tornado produced some of the most extreme ground scouring ever documented, as the earth at and around the Double Creek Estates was scoured out to depths of 18-24 inches (46-61 cm), reducing lush fields of grass to vast expanses of mud. When the tornado crossed county roads outside of Jarrell, it tore away 500-foot (152 m) segments of asphalt from the roads and chipped pieces of concrete out of their respective slabs.[2] The tornado also picked up large amounts of loose soil as it deeply scoured the ground, producing a sandblasting effect on nearby houses and their occupants. In addition to the 27 deaths in Double Creek Estates, one person was seriously injured and less than a dozen people suffered minor injuries after the tornado.[29] The tornado left no damage indicators with which to judge higher winds, but video of the tornado shows extremely violent rotation and updraft winds comparable to other F5 tornadoes. Newspaper articles from 1997 reported wind speeds from 400-500mph. There is currently no way of knowing the true wind speed of this tornado, partly due to its unusually slow forward motion, but many researchers considered the Jarrell storm to be the most violent tornado, in terms of damage intensity, that they had ever seen. [30]

There were 27 fatalities, all in the Double Creek Estates neighborhood."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I remember watching an interview with a guy who had watch two massive oak trees in his front yard yanked up from his front yard and twisted together like pretzels. They showed pictures of them before and after the tornado. The trees were huge and afterwards they were just gone. 

We had an F5 in Jarrell about 10 miles from me where it leveled a small subdivision so badly that the asphalt was even stripped from the roads in many places. Over 20 people killed in that area.

From wiki:

"The tornado produced some of the most extreme ground scouring ever documented, as the earth at and around the Double Creek Estates was scoured out to depths of 18-24 inches (46-61 cm), reducing lush fields of grass to vast expanses of mud. When the tornado crossed county roads outside of Jarrell, it tore away 500-foot (152 m) segments of asphalt from the roads and chipped pieces of concrete out of their respective slabs.[2] The tornado also picked up large amounts of loose soil as it deeply scoured the ground, producing a sandblasting effect on nearby houses and their occupants. In addition to the 27 deaths in Double Creek Estates, one person was seriously injured and less than a dozen people suffered minor injuries after the tornado.[29] The tornado left no damage indicators with which to judge higher winds, but video of the tornado shows extremely violent rotation and updraft winds comparable to other F5 tornadoes. Newspaper articles from 1997 reported wind speeds from 400-500mph. There is currently no way of knowing the true wind speed of this tornado, partly due to its unusually slow forward motion, but many researchers considered the Jarrell storm to be the most violent tornado, in terms of damage intensity, that they had ever seen. [30]

There were 27 fatalities, all in the Double Creek Estates neighborhood."

Of course, no wind speed instrument can survive those speeds. (except the ones embedded in jets).  BTW Dayton got upgraded by FEMA when they assessed the damage. We're now an EF4.  Not that it matters much- almost no residential construction can withstand an EF3 without significant damage, much less EF4.  Sadly, the most significant damage in the city was in a lower middle class (if that) area- folks that probably are ill equipped and probably under insured or uninsured for that type of damage. Depending on what storm track  I want to believe the tornado missed me by the range of 2-4 miles.