THE BROWNS BOARD

RIP Bart Starr

Axe

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-legend-bart-starr-dies-at-85

" Bart Starr, the first quarterback in history to win five National Football League championships and hero of the most memorable game in the storied history of the Green Bay Packers, died today in Birmingham, Ala. He had been in failing health since suffering a serious stroke in 2014. "

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

wOw man that's just sad:(..made the grandma's, rabbit ears & black & white tv days come to mind..RiP Bart Starr 🙏 And a Bless'em* to his Family..

He was never considered the greatest passer...though he may certainly have been underrated in that area.  But he may have been the greatest "field general" in the games history. 

In that particular area...subjective as it may be: field leadership.....only, I believe  he is in a class with Otto Graham, Tom Brady, John Unitas, Joe Montana, and Peyton Manning.   (do you have any other contenders?)

...and now half of them are gone.

He is a guy that live up to his name.  He was as tough as a guy named Bart you would think would be.  And he was a Star Starr....even though he was so humble as to not act like one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I always felt he was one of the best & maybe the most under rated QB in NFL history.

RIP Bart.

Mike

That's a pretty fair assessment. 

Hell, most people when asked who was the best NFL QB who played at Alabama would instinctively say "Namath" without considering Starr. I guess Starr wasn't flashy enough. 

I am lucky enough to remember him playing when he was at the end of the line and I was at the beginning of mine. I had these football cards:

415RV08XJ6L._SY445_.jpg

1970-Topps-30-Bart-Starr-Football-Card-1

f43d53ef-824b-435d-9eae-69e0116c9cb3.jpg

Much more clear memories of him as a coach, where he could never get GB over the hump, and was a victim of this:

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

I am lucky enough to remember him playing when he was at the end of the line and I was at the beginning of mine. I had these football cards:

415RV08XJ6L._SY445_.jpg

Much more clear memories of him as a coach, where he could never get GB over the hump, and was a victim of this:

ouch! what a teenage flashback 😇.. Do you remember the day you properly made your MaMa more pist-off than any day? This was mine..Am 17 & just got my temps to drive. Myself & best college bud, get dawgpound tickets & he has his state drivers license..We come up with the plot, to tell my Mom "Am driving your ugly olive Green Valiant" from Oregon,OH. to Maumee,OH so Phil could visit with his dad Sunday..All was good, till landing..We take off down Ohio turnpike from Toledo, till we hear this thud than thump, thump,thump from the right drivers side front tire..Were now near the Elyria Exit on the highway & am ready to start putting the lugs back on the spare tire..Look left & here comes Barney Fife with the blue light specials, parking behind my MoM's vehicle👀Needless to say, Officer Flowers was a nosey prick..After running the tags & "does your mama know your going to a game in Cleveland"..Officer Flowers, impounds the car at the Elyria poe-poe office for 2 more bald ass tires :o..Abort Mission!! Abort Mission!! Prick Officer Flowers, tows the car away & hauls us to the Jailhouse for My one phone call to my MoM..Needless to say her friend Elinor drove my Mom to Elyria for the longest ride back home ever.. I got to watch this^^ game 3 days later, on the VHS tape that I still own..And I still own the 2 Dawgpound Tickets framed that i thought better of not trying to scalp to Officer Flowers 🥀..Special Thanks to Mr Flowers..Only chance from black & white tv to Bart Starr live & in color on the sidelines(you prick:lol:) Zombo! thanks for the killer of all memories 👍

• Upvote 1

Bart, Boyd Dowler, Carol Dale....they beat us multiple times.  Was a different game then.  More emphasis on the run.  A less glitzy brand of football.  Fringe fans didn't really exist back then.  Even back then though, and with all of the great RB's (Horning, Jim Brown, etc) it was the QB would make or break your team.  Whenever we played the Packers, I didn't have confidence.  I just felt that Bart Starr was too good for us to be able to win.  And as far as I ever knew, he was a good man.  I respected him.  

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Orion said:

Bart, Boyd Dowler, Carol Dale....they beat us multiple times.  Was a different game then.  More emphasis on the run.  A less glitzy brand of football.  Fringe fans didn't really exist back then.  Even back then though, and with all of the great RB's (Horning, Jim Brown, etc) it was the QB would make or break your team.  Whenever we played the Packers, I didn't have confidence.  I just felt that Bart Starr was too good for us to be able to win.  And as far as I ever knew, he was a good man.  I respected him.  

They also had the greatest coach in football history, which didn't hurt. 

52 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

They also had the greatest coach in football history, which didn't hurt. 

They were an all around good team.  

In those days the QB called a lot of the plays.  

• Upvote 1