THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC North Position by Postion ranking

The Gipper

Here are the players at each position for each team in the AFC North   (per Ourlads Depth Charts)  .   Give your ranking of the best at each position.  Start with the Offense:

Quarterback:

Balt.   Lamar Jackson......CIn.  Andy Dalton......CLE   Baker Mayfield .......Pitt.  Ben Roethlisberger

Running Back:

Balt. Mark Ingram.....CIN Joe Mixon.....CLE Nick Chubb.....Pitt. James Conner

Tight End:

Balt. Nick Boyle .....CIN Tyler Eifert.....CLE  David Njoku.....Pitt. Vance McDonald

WRs (tandems)   Balt. Willie Snead/Jordan Lasley.....CIN. AJ Green/Tyler Boyd.....CLE  OBJ/Jarvis Landry....Pitt.  Juju Smith-Shuster/James Washington

Center:

Balt. Matt Skura.....CIN Billy Price.....CLE JC Tretter.....Pitt. Maurkice Pouncey

Right Guard:

Balt. Marshall Yanda.....CIN Alex Redmond.....CLE. Austin Corbett.....Pitt.  David DeCastro

Left Guard:

Balt. Alex Lewis.....CIN Clint Boling.....CLE Joel Bitonio.....Pitt. Ramon Foster

Right Tackle:

Balt. Orlando Brown.....CIN Jonah Williams.....CLE Chris Hubbard.....Pitt Matt Feiler

Left Tackle:

Balt. Ronnie Stanley.....CIN Cordy Glenn.....CLE Greg Robinson.....Pitt.  A. Villanueava

Give your rankings.

Now, here are the lineups for the defenses:

Free Safety

Balt. Earl Thomas.....CIN Jessie Bales.....CLE Morgan Burnett.....Pitt.  Sean Davis

Strong Safety

Balt.  Tony Jefferson.....CIN Shawn Williams.....CLE  Damarious Randall.....Pitt Terrell Edmunds

Left CB

Balt. Brandon Carr.....CIN  Dre Kirkpatrick.....CLE  Denzel Ward.....Pitt.  Joe Haden

Right CB

Balt. Malon Humphrey.....CIN William Jackson III.....CLE Terrence Mitchell.....Pitt. Steven Nelson

Inside LB:

Balt. Kenny Young.....CIN Preston Brown.....CLE Joe Schobert.....Pitt Devin Bush/Mark Barron  (Pitt runs 3-4)

Left (W)OLB

Balt. Matt Judon.....Cin. Nick Vigil.....CLE Avery Genard.....Pitt.  Bud Dupree

Right (S) OLB:

Balt. Shane Ray.....CIN Jordan Evans.....CLE Christian Kirksey.....Pitt. TJ Ward

DT

Balt. Brandon Williams.....CIN Andrew Billings/Geno Atkins.....CLE  Larry Ogunjobi/Sheldon Richardson....Pitt.  Javon Hargrave

LDE

Balt. Chris Wormley.....CIN Carlos Dunlap.....CLE Myles Garrett....Pitt. Cameron Heyward

RDE

Balt. Michael Pierce.....CIN  Jordan Willis.....CLE Oliver Vernon.....Pitt. Stephon Tuitt

Give your rankings

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Here are the players at each position for each team in the AFC North   (per Ourlads Depth Charts)  .   Give your ranking of the best at each position.  Start with the Offense:

Quarterback:

.CLE   Baker Mayfield .......Pitt.  Ben Roethlisberger.   Lamar Jackson......CIn.  Andy Dalton..... (PS Kurt Warner has Ben ahead of Baker- past production? )  

Running Back:

..CLE Nick Chubb.....Pitt. James Conner... ..Cin. Joe Mixon   Balt. Mark Ingram.... (ones in bold, all pretty close) 

Tight End:

.CIN Tyler Eifert (when healthy, expecting another trip to IR) .....CLE  David Njoku.....Pitt. Vance McDonald Balt. Nick Boyle

WRs (tandems)  CLE  OBJ/Jarvis Landry....  .CIN. AJ Green/Tyler Boyd..... Pitt.  Juju Smith-Shuster/James Washington...   Balt. Willie Snead/Jordan Lasley.... If Vagitroll thinks his wrs match up to the Browns, he's nuts

Center: Pitt. Maurkice Pouncey .  ...CIN Billy Price.....CLE JC Tretter..... Balt. Matt Skura. (this one isn't close, Pouncey is a pro bolwer) 

Right Guard:

Balt. Marshall Yanda......Pitt.  David DeCastro...  CIN Alex Redmond.....CLE. Austin Corbett.... tough call, Yanda and DeCastro are both great, Corbett is unproven

Left Guard:

.CLE Joel Bitonio....  CIN Cordy Glenn..... .Pitt. Ramon Foster.... BAL Alex Lewis.....

Right Tackle:

Balt. Orlando Brown......CLE Chris Hubbard.....Pitt Matt Feiler.... CIN Bobby Hart

Left Tackle:

..Pitt.  A. Villanueava  .. ..CLE Greg Robinson... Balt. Ronnie Stanley... CIN Jonah Williams... Williams unproven rookie

Give your rankings. Note- living in SW Ohio with my vast knowledge of the Bungles doings, they have plugged Williams in immediately as the starter at LT, and moved Cordy Glenn inside to LG.  

Now, Special Teams:

Kicker

Balt.  Justin Tucker.....CIN Randy Bullock.....CLE Greg Joseph.....Pitt.  Chris Boswell

Punter

Balt. Sam Koch.....CIN Kevin Huber.....CLE Britton Colquitt.....Pitt. Jordan Berry

Punt Returner

Balt. Cyrus Jones.....CIN Alex Ericson.....CLE Antonio Callaway.....Pitt. Ryan Switzer

Kick Returner

Balt. Chris Moore.....CIN Alex Ericson....CLE Dontrell Hilliard...Pitt. Ryan Switzer

Some of my observations on the above:

A. QB. Certainly BR deserves the top spot on QB, based on past performance (including as recently as last year).  The big question is whether or not Baker can become the top dog in this division.  Many more knowledgeable than I (you know, those national media types) think it possible. Dalton may lose favor in Cincy and be benched...and Jackson....the question on him is when will it be crunch time. 

B. On the bare surface of it, the RB position could seem a fairly even match...but Chubb DID gain more yards than the others (in some cases in fewer carries)....and with Duke, and the addition of Hunt...Browns should have best RB combo in the division (maybe even the league)

C. Browns pass catching corps (WR+TEs) again, I believe is  the best and the deepest in the division (if not the league) While there are some other good individuals,  Green/Juju,  the teams don;t have the overall quality as the Browns imo.

D. I agree that based on past performance, the Steelers have at least 2 of the top spots on the OL...with a tight race for another (as H said, between DeCastro and Yanda).  But my big question is will they hold at that with the loss of Munchak.

E. I think that Baltimore has the best overall Defensive Backfield.  Cleveland second.

F.  I don't think the Browns take a back seat to anyone along the DL.  In fact, it may not be close, if  the three Pro Bowlers play up to their potential (Vernon/Richardson/Garrett).  But, Geno Atkins and Dunlap could make a case for the Cincy DL, and Pittsburgh's can be pretty stout as well.

G. Pitt. gets the nod at LB.  That assumes that Bush will play up to his first round status. Browns will need second year man Gennard and two rookies to really come along to get a higher slot.  Baltimore's once dominant place there is no more. 

So:

QB....Pitt, with the Browns on their tale

RBs.  Browns

WR/TE. Browns

OL. Pitt

DL. Browns 

LB. Pitt

DB  Baltimore

Special teams:  Balt. has best kicker.  That is the only definitive thing I can say really.

24 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

yes! so many personal changes can happen for to many reasons..some include injury/suspensions/and the mighty dollar 💰 ,some surprise camp no shows turn into trades .. maybe get to after preseason game 1?  Ben will have the peeps pist off again by then:o  

Really?   How many real substantive personnell changes do you think really will occur on these teams between now and the start of training camp...or even the regular season?  Except for a little shifting and maneuvering as described by Hoorta,  I suggest that the actual number of changes to the 88 persons on these 4 teams who start (not including STs)  would be able to be counted on one hand.  (not including injuries...which sure, can occur...but those cannot be anticipated). 

So...go ahead, name those persons out of the list of starters above whose jobs may be on thin ice and may not actually be their teams starter in game 1. 

(and BR having his melodrama gene activated once again won't really change that team's lineup at this point...will it?)

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

can we at least get to mandatory mini camp? Where is Duke playing?..not here yet. Google up Jalen Ramsey? ya think Coughlin wants to give up more money now or later? Bet Jalen knows.bet the steelers/ravens are 👀. Heck, Damarcus Randall is in camp right now and been asking for a new deal for months..What's he do when it's mandatory while others get paid? I took your post as a question..and that's my opinion & yes few may change, but those names don't come real till they come to camp in June.. 

They are real now.  They have played before...and will be playing again when the season starts.   How many rookies are on those lists as starters?  Some names may change...but as I said...you can probably count them on one hand.  So, no, there is no reason to wait until mandatory mini camp. What is that going to do to change a team's depth charts significantly?    And Duke is not listed as the Browns starting RB. Chubb is.  Would you think that likely to change?

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

How is it that now at least two posts, both by gumby have seemed to disappear from this thread?

I deleted them Gip.. soon after this post.. frankly, i don't have a lot of time on here to play opinion tennis..not this time of year at least..

On 5/26/2019 at 5:10 PM, The Gipper said:

*So, no, there is no reason to wait until mandatory mini camp*. What is that going to do to change a team's depth charts significantly?    

I'll pay your Brownsboard fees.. If you find McCoy a new home in The Land  :lol: 

Just now, gumby73 said:

I deleted them Gip.. soon after this post.. frankly, i don't have a lot of time on here to play opinion tennis..not this time of year at least..

Isn't that the entire point of this forum? I didn't think that you were here just to have someone powder your tush.

I'll pay your Brownsboard fees.. If you find McCoy a new home in The Land  :lol: 

I am not a realtor.   But I may have some connections with realtors. (but they would be more in Medina/Summit County)

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't think that you were here just to have someone powder your tush.

TmDW.gif    7eCX.gif    where shall i start? 🤔  

• 1 month later...

We are only 10 days away from starting training camp.   Perhaps I should have waited until now....or even later to have made this thread,  but, nevertheless, hello...I revive it now to see if there is any more commentary about this now that things are going to start to happen.  See the OP.

Does anyone know of any actual changes to any team's depth chart that has taken place since May when I originally posted this?

On 5/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, The Gipper said:

Left Guard:

....CIN Clint Boling...Out--Retired

Right Tackle:....CIN Jonah Williams..Out Year of 2019..shoulder

Maybe Hue will play OL next in natty :)

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Maybe Hue will play OL next in natty :)

Uh, yea, sure, that's the ticket.

So, Cincy's entire OL is in flux....so what...They have Andy Dalton!!     (did you see that tweet by some Bengals fan who said they had the best QB in the division....because BR was too old and the Browns and Ravens QBs were too young....that they are the only team in the division with a veteran QB in his prime?....did you see that?

On 5/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, The Gipper said:

What I heard on the radio the other day were some people talking about who their FIRST TEAM  of players at each position in the AFCN.   Maybe we could run with that effort. My choice bolded in this color.....tell me if you think I am wrong anywhere.

Quarterback:

Balt.   Lamar Jackson......CIn.  Andy Dalton......CLE   Baker Mayfield .......Pitt.  Ben Roethlisberger

Running Back:

Balt. Mark Ingram.....CIN Joe Mixon.....CLE Nick Chubb.....Pitt. James Conner  

Tight End:

Balt. Nick Boyle .....CIN Tyler Eifert.....CLE  David Njoku.....Pitt. Vance McDonald

WRs (tandems)   Balt. Willie Snead/Jordan Lasley.....CIN. AJ Green/Tyler Boyd.....CLE  OBJ/Jarvis Landry....Pitt.  Juju Smith-Shuster/James Washington

Center:

Balt. Matt Skura.....CIN Billy Price.....CLE JC Tretter.....Pitt. Maurkice Pouncey

Right Guard:

Balt. Marshall Yanda.....CIN Alex Redmond.....CLE. Austin Corbett.....Pitt.  David DeCastro

Left Guard:

Balt. Alex Lewis.....CIN Clint Boling.....CLE Joel Bitonio.....Pitt. Ramon Foster

Right Tackle:

Balt. Orlando Brown.....CIN Jonah Williams.....CLE Chris Hubbard.....Pitt Matt Feiler  ....I can't make a choice here...help me out

Left Tackle:

Balt. Ronnie Stanley.....CIN Cordy Glenn.....CLE Greg Robinson.....Pitt.  A. Villanueava

Give your rankings.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:38 PM, The Gipper said:

Now, here are the lineups for the defenses:

Free Safety

Balt. Earl Thomas.....CIN Jessie Bales.....CLE Morgan Burnett.....Pitt.  Sean Davis  Thomas, based on his past

Strong Safety

Balt.  Tony Jefferson.....CIN Shawn Williams.....CLE  Damarious Randall.....Pitt Terrell Edmunds   Jefferson close second

Left CB

Balt. Brandon Carr.....CIN  Dre Kirkpatrick.....CLE  Denzel Ward.....Pitt.  Joe Haden

Right CB

Balt. Malon Humphrey.....CIN William Jackson III.....CLE Terrence Mitchell.....Pitt. Steven Nelson   Can't make a choice...help

Inside LB:

Balt. Kenny Young.....CIN Preston Brown.....CLE Joe Schobert.....Pitt Devin Bush/Mark Barron  (Pitt runs 3-4)

Left (W)OLB

Balt. Matt Judon.....Cin. Nick Vigil.....CLE Avery Genard.....Pitt.  Bud Dupree   No Choice...help

Right (S) OLB:

Balt. Shane Ray.....CIN Jordan Evans.....CLE Christian Kirksey.....Pitt. TJ Watt

DT

Balt. Brandon Williams.....CIN Andrew Billings/Geno Atkins.....CLE  Larry Ogunjobi/Sheldon Richardson....Pitt.  Javon Hargrave

LDE

Balt. Chris Wormley.....CIN Carlos Dunlap.....CLE Myles Garrett....Pitt. Cameron Heyward

RDE

Balt. Michael Pierce.....CIN  Jordan Willis.....CLE Oliver Vernon.....Pitt. Stephon Tuitt  Again....If I go with Vernon, it seems a homer pick...would that be true?

Give your rankings

On 5/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, The Gipper said:

Now, Special Teams:

Kicker

Balt.  Justin Tucker.....CIN Randy Bullock.....CLE Greg Joseph.....Pitt.  Chris Boswell

Punter

Balt. Sam Koch.....CIN Kevin Huber.....CLE Britton Colquitt.....Pitt. Jordan Berry  homer pick?

Punt Returner

Balt. Cyrus Jones.....CIN Alex Ericson.....CLE Antonio Callaway.....Pitt. Ryan Switzer

Kick Returner

Balt. Chris Moore.....CIN Alex Ericson....CLE Dontrell Hilliard...Pitt. Ryan Switzer

Gip-RCB help will come in the form of our man from LSU, Greedy Williams.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-training-camp-battles-which-browns-cbs-will-step-up-alongside-denzel-ward/

As to primary RB, all 4 of those backs are essentially equal in quality. 4 way tie.

44 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Gip-RCB help will come in the form of our man from LSU, Greedy Williams.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-training-camp-battles-which-browns-cbs-will-step-up-alongside-denzel-ward/

As to primary RB, all 4 of those backs are essentially equal in quality. 4 way tie.

Are you telling me that right now you put Greedy as the best RCB in this division?  I can't make that leap at this point since he has not stepped foot on an NFL field.

On the RBs, I can see that, but I put Chubb at the top because he had more production in fewer attempts than the others. Plus he proved he can be a home run hitter with his 92 yard TD run.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Are you telling me that right now you put Greedy as the best RCB in this division?  I can't make that leap at this point since he has not stepped foot on an NFL field.

On the RBs, I can see that, but I put Chubb at the top because he had more production in fewer attempts than the others. Plus he proved he can be a home run hitter with his 92 yard TD run.

Actually I was replacing Mitchell with Greedy to make your decision a bit easier. Odds are that will be the case when the regular season gets underway. Thus the link.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually I was replacing Mitchell with Greedy to make your decision a bit easier. Odds are that will be the case when the regular season gets underway. Thus the link.

But, you did not answer the question:  do you believe that with him in there he will be better than any of the other RCB in the division?

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But, you did not answer the question:  do you believe that with him in there he will be better than any of the other RCB in the division?

I won't know until I see him more in pre-season. I do know he is better than anyone else we have to place there based on what I saw at LSU. Will he be as good as Ward was as a rookie? Hopefully the answer will be yes. And if he is that good then yes, he's better than what the other teams have. We shall see. I do know that being a  star SEC corner is damn hard and that gives him a leg up going into the pros.

• 4 weeks later...