Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zombo

Personal Conduct

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I'm sure you followed Manziel more than me in college Tex. I only saw Manziel in a few of the bigger games on television. I did follow Kizer and he could impress at times but he never showed any consistency. What you are saying is something I have thought about. What "if" Manziel had an excellent work ethic? We will never know that answer because he had a terrible work ethic and failed.

Nothing to sneeze at for sure. But the substance abuse made him fall off the cliff IMO

    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

 

Add in 30 TDs running

                           
*2012 Texas A&M SEC FR QB 13 295 434 68.0 3706 8.5 8.8 26 9 155.3
*2013 Texas A&M SEC SO QB 13 300 429 69.9 4114 9.6 10.0 37 13 172.9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nothing to sneeze at for sure. But the substance abuse made him fall off the cliff IMO

    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

 

Add in 30 TDs running

                           
*2012 Texas A&M SEC FR QB 13 295 434 68.0 3706 8.5 8.8 26 9 155.3
*2013 Texas A&M SEC SO QB 13 300 429 69.9 4114 9.6 10.0 37 13 172.9

I've said this countless times and I'll say this again.  Completion % does not = accuracy. 

Manziel struggled with fundamental concepts and techniques at the NFL and even to an extent, at the collegiate level.   However his legs, Oline with NFL caliber players, and a future top 10 wide receiver bailed him out more often than not.    Check those same stats vs top 50 defenses.     

The argument that Johnny was some type of supremely talented player simply doesn't hold weight.  We've seen players with a much more evolved understanding off the passing game fail at this level as well.   Case in point - the Browns Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden.      Manziel was 'fun' and 'electric' in College Station.    But those are traits that make an elite NFL QB.   Kid never should have sniffed the first 3 rounds. 

Good day, sir.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 5:02 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

Folks with a dissenting polar opposite opinion are exactly what advances knowledge

Nope - trolls only advance anger and LACK of knowledge.  Trolls make us dumber.

Opinions are like @ holes.. and that phrase ends with a ban on this forum.

 

Shouting a completely random phrase ["OL are all fat!"] and then running away is neither helpful nor smart -- it's actually counterproductive because it takes energy away from something [anything] that would be more informative.

If Ghoolie was interested in contributing to the forum in any way, he'd have at least one piece of data / team story / concept to share [you know, knowledge..] which would back up his point.  And he'd explain why that point was salient.  And he'd calmly explain why others weren't.  But no -- he's never had that type of discourse, because he's not interested in that type of thread or interaction.. because he can't help himself.

 Knowledge is hard work, it's not random.  Knowledge is the result of positive initial intent between two or more people/groups AND research for that discussion AND agreement on the bounds of the discussion AND understanding/willingness to tolerate the interpersonal slip-ups that are called humanity without losing focus on the end goal. 

Two people with dissenting opinions simply isn't knowledge... "knowledge" is only accomplished at the resolution of the entire debate between those two people -- IF a debate was actually had.

 

Seriously, man -- I've never once gained anything from a ghoolie thread -- those threads are entirely devoid of talent.  If you think his threads are knowledge, have you never actually read Mud or Hoorta or Tour talking about OL blocking technique on the backside of an inside zone run?

 

If knowledge is the goal, that's unavoidable hard work.  If cheap sloganeering with no substance is the goal, that's Ghoolie.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 8:35 AM, OldBrownsFan said:

I'm sure you followed Manziel more than me in college Tex. I only saw Manziel in a few of the bigger games on television. I did follow Kizer and he could impress at times but he never showed any consistency. What you are saying is something I have thought about. What "if" Manziel had an excellent work ethic? We will never know that answer because he had a terrible work ethic and failed.

When guys like Manziel and Gordon are more interested in various methods of partying that their professional careers prohibit - there's very little chance they are ever going to offer the integrity to succeed or be dedicated. They want the money but they aren't willing to dedicate themselves to the commitment of earning it.

Kizer was very young from a program and coach that did zero to make him ready for the Pro Game.  Then he was drafted by a 1-15 team with Hue as his HC and OC so the 0-16 Poseiden Adventure on Lake Erie was inevitable.  Maybe GB will train the lad into a keeper status. Who knows... Another thing that makes or breaks QBs is their ability to speed read at the speed of the game the NFL commands.  The once pronounced "Pro Ready" Brady Quinn developed a bad habit many of the scouts clinging to that never saw.  He looked onto the ideal target of Jeff Samardzija all the time which can work in college. That said, when a QB comes to the NFL such a habit like that can be tough to break leaving a guy like Quinn lost.  Brady's GPA reminded us he wasn't a stupid kid while his physique showed us he wasn't a lazy kid.  All that said, was the sum of his college football habits breakable/coachable at the NFL?  This was NOT a Pro Ready QB any more than Kizer was especially how high they were drafted IMO.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

 Knowledge is hard work, it's not random.  Knowledge is the result of positive initial intent between two or more people/groups AND research for that discussion AND agreement on the bounds of the discussion AND understanding/willingness to tolerate the interpersonal slip-ups that are called humanity without losing focus on the end goal. 

Two people with dissenting opinions simply isn't knowledge... "knowledge" is only accomplished at the resolution of the entire debate between those two people -- IF a debate was actually had.

Right, this is what l meant by “makes the rest of us research further.” It’s like, hey, this guy has an outta the box take on things. Perhaps l will dig a little deeper and form my own opinions on the matter. And off l go. Reading stuff other places, watching film breakdowns, learning terminology, debating with those of my choosing, etc. That’s the fun part.

A dissenting opinion, for me anyway, just helps with direction on where to look. I’d say most of us are of the opinion that Joe Thomas was an excellent left tackle. But that dissenting opinion creates incentive to see WHY he was great. In the process, l learn WHAT a kick step is (l honestly didn’t know before joining here), and l watch Joe’s kick step on film, and l think “holy hell, he moves like a gazelle on rewind.” 

Not all of us are former players or coaches or back seat analysts. Just fans with a rabid interest and desire to have something to offer in future conversations on my favorite team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flugel said:

When guys like Manziel and Gordon are more interested in various methods of partying that their professional careers prohibit - there's very little chance they are ever going to offer the integrity to succeed or be dedicated. They want the money but they are willing to dedicate themselves to the commitment of earning it.

Kizer was very young from a program and coach that did zero to make him ready for the Pro Game.  Then he was drafted by a 1-15 team with Hue as his HC and OC so the 0-16 Poseiden Adventure on Lake Erie was inevitable.  Maybe GB will train the lad into a keeper status. Who knows... Another thing that makes or breaks QBs is their ability to speed read at the speed of the game the NFL commands.  The once pronounced "Pro Ready" Brady Quinn developed a bad habit many of the scouts clinging to that never saw.  He looked onto the ideal target of Jeff Samardzija all the time which can work in college. That said, when a QB comes to the NFL such a habit like that can be tough to break leaving a guy like Quinn lost.  Brady's GPA reminded us he wasn't a stupid kid why his physique showed us he wasn't a lazy kid.  All that said, was the sum of his college football habits breakable/coachable at the NFL?  This was NOT a Pro Ready QB any more than Kizer was especially how high they were drafted IMO.

Gordon on sheer physical ability and natural talent had an edge over Manziel who never had a chance at natural talent alone making it in the NFL. Gordon just couldn't beat the random drug tests. I wonder how good Gordon could have been if he stayed clean and had a good work ethic? He might have been one of the great ones, he had the natural ability.

The quarterback position has a lot of variables that may not show up on a statistics chart. Tom Brady seems like a good example of that. Who would have ever thought coming out of college he would have had the success he has had in the NFL. We will never know but I think if Manziel had a good work ethic those flashes of showing he could be an NFL quarterback that Pettine spoke about might have become more than just flashes. It was going to take a lot of hard work though on his part which he was not willing to do.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Right, this is what l meant by “makes the rest of us research further.”

Trolls do not make us research.  Trolls are the antithesis of knowledge.

Knowledge is advanced on this forum IN SPITE OF ghoolie and the other trolls.

Trolls, in fact, do NOT inspire thought --- because their response to any tidbit of fact is to personally attack those people who posted facts.... which DECREASES desire to research further.

All those topics you mentioned which are legitimately interesting are from threads that were created and furthered by people who actually want to learn.  Ghoolie is nowhere on that list.  Each and every "intellectual desire" you assert is attributable only to Tour, Hoorta, etc -- not ghoolie at all.

Stop with this nonsense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

All those topics you mentioned which are legitimately interesting are from threads that were created and furthered by people who actually want to learn.  Ghoolie is nowhere on that list.  Each and every "intellectual desire" you assert is attributable only to Tour, Hoorta, etc -- not ghoolie at all.

Stop with this nonsense.

There are several very knowledgeable people I pay attention to on the football board. Not a day goes by during the pre-season games and regular season that I do not learn something new or am caused to rethink things in light of extra information provided that I had not previously considered.

The polyboard is more like St. Elmo's Fire, a lot of intransigent opinions that dazzle, but rarely providing any real substantive thinking/reevaluation. There are occasion exceptions, but not daily as is the case here when the Browns are playing weekly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

There are several very knowledgeable people I pay attention to on the football board. Not a day goes by during the pre-season games and regular season that I do not learn something new or am caused to rethink things in light of extra information provided that I had not previously considered.

The polyboard is more like St. Elmo's Fire, a lot of intransigent opinions that dazzle, but rarely providing any real substantive thinking/reevaluation. There are occasion exceptions, but not daily as is the case here when the Browns are playing weekly.

I'm a long time football fan. I played football in high school. I found out though there are people who follow the game a lot more closely than I do so I don't post so much on the football side anymore but I (like you) appreciate the knowledge some have and like to read the posts. I never followed the draft, NFL combine , front office issues etc..like some who post here do. There are some who post on the BB who are as good as any sports writers I have read. I always followed the Browns during football season and then drifted on to basketball and baseball after football season (but I always couldn't wait until football season was back).

"The polyboard is more like St. Elmo's Fire, a lot of intransigent opinions that dazzle, but rarely providing any real substantive thinking/reevaluation."

IE: "Too many of those !@#$ deplorables over there who won't listen to reason from people who have TDS. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The polyboard is more like St. Elmo's Fire, a lot of intransigent opinions that dazzle, but rarely providing any real substantive thinking/reevaluation.

   Like I have said to friends on the board - I never was able to play - bad knee forever - but you can learn a lot from observing...I try to keenly listen to those that did - you get Flugels talking football, and it's great fun to just keep quiet and take it all in. lol

   So I have my opinions at major football times, whatever. Been a Browns fan since I was a little kid. That was back in the Milt Plum, Lou Groza days....I always loved the game, always wanted to play - wanted to be a rb - used to study every play that featured Leroy Kelly.

    It's ironic that some keep bringing up the poly board on the Browns forum, and those same someones have little content to go with their ramblings - I guess they just desire a greater audience, but it was ruining the Browns forum long ago.

   I usually just sit back and learn from the football talk from guys like Flugels and others. This Browns forum has become locally famous for Browns fans who love Browns football. Trolls never add anything to that, not even legit criticism.. Thank God Tex is only a troll on the political forum........

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 8:02 PM, htownbrown said:

Want Zombo to ban you?  Call him a Quinn Fagg....better yet start a thread titled;  Mayfield or Quinn?  That will do it.

Hey now, I'm the Quinn fagg around here!

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

   Like I have said to friends on the board - I never was able to play - bad knee forever - but you can learn a lot from observing...I try to keenly listen to those that did - you get Flugels talking football, and it's great fun to just keep quiet and take it all in. lol

   So I have my opinions at major football times, whatever. Been a Browns fan since I was a little kid. That was back in the Milt Plum, Lou Groza days....I always loved the game, always wanted to play - wanted to be a rb - used to study every play that featured Leroy Kelly.

    It's ironic that some keep bringing up the poly board on the Browns forum, and those same someones have little content to go with their ramblings - I guess they just desire a greater audience, but it was ruining the Browns forum long ago.

   I usually just sit back and learn from the football talk from guys like Flugels and others. This Browns forum has become locally famous for Browns fans who love Browns football. Trolls never add anything to that, not even legit criticism.. Thank God Tex is only a troll on the political forum........

 

Tex might be one of the best Browns fans I can think of. He became a Browns fan during the worst period of the team's history.

My earliest memories of the Browns were watching them on the old black and white television with my dad when Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly played. After the Browns game they would televise football games from the upstart AFL league and because of the time period that usually involved one of the west coast teams and I started pulling for the Raiders. I will never forget the "Heidi" game when the Jets looked like they had the game won and the network pulled the coverage and went to the Shirley Temple movie and later made the announcement during the movie that the Raiders had made a huge come back and won. Back in the day it wasn't as easy as just sending an email and long distance calls weren't cheap but I remember my dad about as angry as I had ever seen him on the phone trying to get information on who to call to the network to let them know what he thought about ditching the game for Shirley Temple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Nothing to sneeze at for sure. But the substance abuse made him fall off the cliff IMO

     
                             
                             
                             

While I wasnt crazy about the pick and really couldnt stand the little snot, I do think he could have had an NFL career if he wasnt such a f#*k up.....probably not a good QB, but one that stuck around as a back up / pt starter for a number of years..... 

On 6/29/2019 at 8:26 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Nope - trolls only advance anger and LACK of knowledge.  Trolls make us dumber.

 

The one thing people here ALWAYS forget is that trolls thrive on attention....and the debate....the anger.....that they create. It's their life blood. 

What kills a troll is lack of interest in what they say....being ignored.....

But as long as we debate, argue, name call, report and reply to them.....they are getting exactly what they came for.....

Someday.....maybe......people will learn this.

What would be better than Ghoulie starting a thread and NO ONE opening, reading or replying to it.....he would lose his mind. For real.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Right, this is what l meant by “makes the rest of us research further.” It’s like, hey, this guy has an outta the box take on things.

You're giving them trolls WAY too much credit and attention. Outta the box or outta their mind??? I usually just ignore the Ghoulies of the world, but IF they cause me to research....it is not to learn. It's only to secure the facts needed to put them in their place.

Of course, Ive also learned that people in todays world(trolls included) hate facts. They dont care about facts.

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Trolls do not make us research.  Trolls are the antithesis of knowledge.

 

Occassionally....see above

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The polyboard is more like St. Elmo's Fire, a lot of intransigent opinions that dazzle, but rarely providing any real substantive thinking/reevaluation.

There it is. The poly board is a place to stay away from. Another group that seems to abhor facts and prefers just to spew venom, fake news and extremely biased opinions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Right, this is what l meant by “makes the rest of us research further.” It’s like, hey, this guy has an outta the box take on things. Perhaps l will dig a little deeper and form my own opinions on the matter. And off l go. Reading stuff other places, watching film breakdowns, learning terminology, debating with those of my choosing, etc. That’s the fun part.

A dissenting opinion, for me anyway, just helps with direction on where to look. I’d say most of us are of the opinion that Joe Thomas was an excellent left tackle. But that dissenting opinion creates incentive to see WHY he was great. In the process, l learn WHAT a kick step is (l honestly didn’t know before joining here), and l watch Joe’s kick step on film, and l think “holy hell, he moves like a gazelle on rewind.” 

Not all of us are former players or coaches or back seat analysts. Just fans with a rabid interest and desire to have something to offer in future conversations on my favorite team. 

I haven't followed this thread or what happened with Mr. Name doesn't need to be mentioned, but you don't need to be a former player or coach to see the difference in a post by him and an actual real one.

There is some very knowledgeable people on here, I have seen other coaches besides myself on here, and there are people who appear to not have much knowledge about the actual game, and even those guys can see the difference in "all OL are fat" and something along the line of "all OL lack the overall athletic ability of others."

You don't gain knowledge from nonsense. You can gain the motivation to learn more for yourself from nonsense. But I'll tell you I can hear from a parent/fan/opposing coach etc something like your RT "insert dumb comment", it isnt constructive so I gain nothing from it, and if it is something that comes from a "troll" type then it is usually something that IF true is easy for anyone to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Trolls do not make us research.  Trolls are the antithesis of knowledge.

Knowledge is advanced on this forum IN SPITE OF ghoolie and the other trolls.

Trolls, in fact, do NOT inspire thought --- because their response to any tidbit of fact is to personally attack those people who posted facts.... which DECREASES desire to research further.

All those topics you mentioned which are legitimately interesting are from threads that were created and furthered by people who actually want to learn.  Ghoolie is nowhere on that list.  Each and every "intellectual desire" you assert is attributable only to Tour, Hoorta, etc -- not ghoolie at all.

Stop with this nonsense.

No one really gets to make blanket statements about what does or does not inspire us to get to the bottom of things. What does it for me may not do it for you. Knowledge on an individual basis is a personal quest.

We seem to agree on one thing though, and it’s the responses to villains is when it gets good. The more outlandish a villain’s assertion, the more good (ie fact and logic based) the response from our heroes to quash the villain. And banter is fun, when you’re in the mood. If not, scroll fast.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

No one really gets to make blanket statements about what does or does not inspire us to get to the bottom of things. What does it for me may not do it for you. Knowledge on an individual basis is a personal quest.

We seem to agree on one thing though, and it’s the responses to villains is when it gets good. The more outlandish a villain’s assertion, the more good (ie fact and logic based) the response from our heroes to quash the villain. And banter is fun, when you’re in the mood. If not, scroll fast.

And yet...there are those that say that you should not respond, that you should allow their outlandish assertions to go unchallenged, i.e. "don't feed the troll".  

I take it you do not agree with that approach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And yet...there are those that say that you should not respond, that you should allow their outlandish assertions to go unchallenged, i.e. "don't feed the troll".  

I take it you do not agree with that approach?

Eh, for me it depends on how wily l feel and how interesting the troll is l guess. I generally enjoy a good bout of back and forth though, even if l don’t participate. 

Seems like the last few we’ve had were boring passive aggressive types. The Justin Gilbert guy was pretty dull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, calfoxwc said:

   Like I have said to friends on the board - I never was able to play - bad knee forever - but you can learn a lot from observing...I try to keenly listen to those that did - you get Flugels talking football, and it's great fun to just keep quiet and take it all in. lol

   So I have my opinions at major football times, whatever. Been a Browns fan since I was a little kid. That was back in the Milt Plum, Lou Groza days....I always loved the game, always wanted to play - wanted to be a rb - used to study every play that featured Leroy Kelly.

    It's ironic that some keep bringing up the poly board on the Browns forum, and those same someones have little content to go with their ramblings - I guess they just desire a greater audience, but it was ruining the Browns forum long ago.

   I usually just sit back and learn from the football talk from guys like Flugels and others. This Browns forum has become locally famous for Browns fans who love Browns football. Trolls never add anything to that, not even legit criticism.. Thank God Tex is only a troll on the political forum........

 

You've been on the board wanting to share your passion about football and the Browns since I arrived back in 98.  It doesn't matter to me that you never played.  The common bond we all have here is our football team and the passion we devote to it.  We all learn this game one way or another.  If I can share an experience to a situation - I try to do so. I've always enjoyed your particular interest in the offensive line and sense of humor that first captivated me way back when Shep was rating QBs based on how good looking he felt they were.  That sure led to some entertaining discussions.  

You've always done a great job of keeping your political views out of the football forum discussions!  

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flugel said:

You've always done a great job of keeping your political views out of the football forum discussions!  

Unintentionally Flugs this is one of the funniest things I've read on here! 🤣

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, Westside Steve said:

Hey now, I'm the Quinn fagg around here!

WSS

I'm the soccer fag. If you haven't  noticed, the US ladies are kicking some serious ass over  in France at the  World Cup. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'm the soccer fag. If you haven't  noticed, the US ladies are kicking some serious ass over  in France at the  World Cup. 

That first sentence is hilarious!  The US Ladies win more games in 1 tournament than the US Men win in a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flugel said:

That first sentence is hilarious!  The US Ladies win more games in 1 tournament than the US Men win in a decade.

LOL, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say the US women might be able to beat the US men- they're that good.  Including the NFL football 13-0 (could have been 14, they had a goal disallowed) score they rang up against Thailand.

It is a sport that gaining in popularity here, we're finally catching up with the rest of the world in that regard.  I don't claim to be a soccer expert by any means, but I do enjoy watching it on occasion. I've seen all of the US matches, and scouted some of the opponents games. The easy way is to think of it as being slow motion hockey- the rules and strategy are sort of similar. And from what I've seen, the flopping and acting is way down from previous years. Now, when somebody goes down and stays down, almost all of the time it's legit. Getting kicked in the shin by a soccer shoe, or getting your arm stomped (like the US goalkeeper did- thought it might have been busted) has got to hurt. They're not wearing protective pads. 

That said- it sets up excellently for the USA in the Final. We're getting one more day of rest, and Netherlands had to play an extra 30 minutes to beat Sweden.  I don't think anyone would question as a group, soccer players are some of the fittest athletes in any sport, but cumulative fatigue may be a factor in this one. They've been doing all that running in mid 80 degree heat with high humidity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

The US women could not beat the men.. the mercy rule would get invoked in favor of the men, and quickly.  Jozy Altidore, just as one example, would be unstoppable.

The full USWNT lost to the FC Dallas U-15 boys' team..

I was sort of kidding.  :)  But congrats to the US women on another Championship. Netherlands made it interesting in the first half. Was it just me thinking in many instances- you have an open shot TAKE IT!!!! Don't try and get cute dribbling or looking for a teammate to pass it to.  

PS- yeah same deal from my days playing competitive tennis. Any of the top women would get smoked playing any of the top men. They might get a game or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Netherlands made it interesting in the first half. Was it just me thinking in many instances- you have an open shot TAKE IT!!!! Don't try and get cute dribbling or looking for a teammate to pass it to.  

Am guessing defenders can't touch no one inside the box? i assume this is where the offensive players body may explode with a finger tap.. seemed Gay, compared to some Old time Hockey.. Sadly, i noticed again, the NFL replay system is so slow & being used to get advertising dollars in pocket..far too many judges are getting involved in the NFL to make calls.. Soccer's replay system seemed faster & maybe even more accurate? (offsides call in semi's) taking the field judges totally out of the final call altogether. I liked, that only 1 ref on the field was being involved with replay.And the final spot was finalized at the same time. Question??  if the miss ball kick to the shoulder, happens outside the box?..Is that same foul called in open field? seemed accidental contact to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Am guessing defenders can't touch no one inside the box? i assume this is where the offensive players body may explode with a finger tap.. seemed Gay, compared to some Old time Hockey.. Sadly, i noticed again, the NFL replay system is so slow & being used to get advertising dollars in pocket..far too many judges are getting involved in the NFL to make calls.. Soccer's replay system seemed faster & maybe even more accurate? (offsides call in semi's) taking the field judges totally out of the final call altogether. I liked, that only 1 ref on the field was being involved with replay.And the final spot was finalized at the same time. Question??  if the miss ball kick to the shoulder, happens outside the box?..Is that same foul called in open field? seemed essential contact to me...

You can touch them- but it's got to be more than "incidental contact".   On Morgan's earlier near miss, two defenders went for the tackle (ball), and the result was close, no cigar.  On the foul  that resulted in the penalty kick, she got a pretty good kick to the chest- that was way more than incidental contact. Outside the box, it probably will just be a free kick instead. 

Regarding soccer replay as opposed to the NFL- Sorry, you don't need to do super slow-mo with freeze frame for two freaking minutes to make a call.  

True, there was an inordinate amount of flopping compared to the previous matches, trying to draw the penalty kick. But MHO is the USA got shafted on a couple no-calls in the first half that I thought may have been penalties. Regarding penalty shots- for kicks and giggles today, I rode the bike down to the local soccer field- and stood in the net. Holy moley- That net is as wide as Montana, 24 feet, though it doesn't look it on TV. You take your penalty shot from 36 feet, and the good strikers whack the ball at 80 mph.  How many MLB guys could hit a curve ball if the pitcher was 24 feet closer to home?  So the physics say- unless the goalkeeper guesses right (the best human reaction times are too slow) or the striker flat out misses the net, it's a score.  For those who say there's no strategy?  The Netherlands goalkeeper knew damn well Rapino scored on her previous penalty kicks going left. So what does Megan do? Fakes the kick to the left, goes right- easy peasy goal. 

PS for those who think the sport is wuss- Becky Sauerbrunn took a Mike Tyson head splitter (it involved staples to stop the bleeding and get her back on the field) on a head to head collision.  The NFL is way more cautions in concussion protocol than FIFA. MHO- There was another earlier head to head collision that neither of the players should have been allowed back on.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 10:45 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Oh, I see. To be honest the Browns forum is the only one I ever really bother to look at. You couldn't pay me to look at the political forum. 

Ummmmm I've always believed everybody has their price on almost anything......I did say almost.

OK I'll give you $5 cash money to go on the political board, the fountain of knowledge on this Forum, and spend five solid minutes reading posts.

On the honor system (report might be required).  :blink:

........I think my $5 cash money is safe. :lol:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Ummmmm I've always believed everybody has their price on almost anything......I did say almost.

OK I'll give you $5 cash money to go on the political board, the fountain of knowledge on this Forum, and spend five solid minutes reading posts.

On the honor system (report might be required).  :blink:

........I think my $5 cash money is safe. :lol:

I will do it....but I must have my hourly rate of $200.00 per hour.    So that means for 5 minutes you would have to pay me  $16.66.    But I will give you a friendly discount and make it an even $15.00. :ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I will do it....but I must have my hourly rate of $200.00 per hour.    So that means for 5 minutes you would have to pay me  $16.66.    But I will give you a friendly discount and make it an even $15.00. :ph34r:

That's why I didn't ask you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×