THE BROWNS BOARD

Big Tech Assault on Free Speech

20 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

That whole thing is silly. 

I would tend to agree with you but oh, and there's that damn but again, in the real world that we all have to live in, the information that the tiny fraction of people want to find, is usually found through the internet giants like Google or worse yet Snapchat, Facebook Etc. At some point people should become concerned that the dissemination of news is filtered through the jaundiced eye of the left. Look how  our members on the left  constantly bitching about fox .  Imagine  if 95%  of the media was as  right-leaning has Fox News .  I think there would be some wailing and gnashing of teeth? Beyond that I don't know exactly what could or should be done about it but that's a fact.

WSS

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I would tend to agree with you but oh, and there's that damn but again, in the real world that we all have to live in, the information that the tiny fraction of people want to find, is usually found through the internet giants like Google or worse yet Snapchat, Facebook Etc. At some point people should become concerned that the dissemination of news is filtered through the jaundiced eye of the left. Look how  our members on the left  constantly bitching about fox .  Imagine  if 95%  of the media was as  right-leaning has Fox News .  I think there would be some wailing and gnashing of teeth? Beyond that I don't know exactly what could or should be done about it but that's a fact.

WSS

If people are too lazy/dumb to fish a bit deeper for information, no amount of regulating is going to help that. There are still idiots who don’t understand what satire is and lose their minds over The Onion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

If people are too lazy/dumb to fish a bit deeper for information, no amount of regulating is going to help that. There are still idiots who don’t understand what satire is and lose their minds over The Onion.

Of course you are right and that's why I said I didn't know what the hell to do about it. Probably doesn't really matter when you get right down to it.

WSS

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

"The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Churchill

Probably not much has changed since Churchill said that decades ago even though we live in an information society today that they didn't have then. You can say people should be smarter and dig deeper etc but will the masses do it? Probably not even though they really shouldn't have to as Big Tech should have a level playing field. Will this bias against conservatives affect elections? That is one of the big questions I have.

Google has at least nine shadow blacklists that affect what the public sees using it's search engine. When Google is not manipulating the internet to prevent users from seeing right wing content it also is directly attacking the content. Google's fact checking service almost exclusively only fact checks conservative news and in many cases their fact checking is wrong. Recently it was discovered a Google serach of Nazism  listed the Northern California Republican party. One republican politician was surprised to see the top search result of her name showed a photo of her labeling her a bigot.

Google is clearly manipulating and controlling the political narrative in favor of Democrats and the left, and silencing conservatives and Republicans.

I don't think there is much denial on that point but the division is what to do about it. I think they are monopolies that will not self regulate themselves and at the minimum need a watchdog group set up over them with ombudsman to handle issues and complaints from consumers. 

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

If that were true America would be a better place. Democrats would be out of business. Yes, the dissemination of the news is filtered, covered up by the left, but  truth can be found.

The question is would there exist "wailing teeth gnashers"   if  for example every American was informed of all the players in the Russian hoax, their roles, sequence of events, what was said and done, how FAISAs were illegally obtained etc?…. as these things would be reported by a 95% "right leaning" aka reputable  news media.

3 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Oh we understand what satire is.

If anyone doesn't understand what satire is it's the left. They eat that shit up as if it were news and the comedians who propagate it are all liberals.

What political satire does for them is support or fortify their existing hate or misguided beliefs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gorka said:

If anyone doesn't understand what satire is it's the left. They eat that shit up as if it were news and the comedians who propagate it are all liberals.

What political satire does for them is support or fortify their existing hate or misguided beliefs.

You want to take a guess on who has posted more satirical articles on this board as facts over the years? Our conservative posters or the "left"?

You've been here for years so you know the answer.

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

" Google's fact checking service almost exclusively only fact checks conservative news and in many cases their fact checking is wrong. Recently it was discovered a Google serach of Nazism  listed the Northern California Republican party

Going to stop you right there.    That's Wikipedia and literally anyone can log into and edit a page.   Where-area's their moderators catch it and revert the change - as they correctly did.

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Going to stop you right there.    That's Wikipedia and literally anyone can log into and edit a page.   Where-area's their moderators catch it and revert the change - as they correctly did.

Google did claim it happened because of Wikipedia and I have no reason to doubt that. But it did happen. If Wikipedia is unreliable maybe Google shouldn't use them? I don't know just asking. 

Just now, OldBrownsFan said:

Google did claim it happened because of Wikipedia and I have no reason to doubt that. But it did happen. If Wikipedia is unreliable maybe Google shouldn't use them? I don't know just asking. 

Google doesn't "use them".   Google is a search engine that simply provides results.   Wiki is entirely community governed.     Funny enough, I was apart of a forum from long ago that had a visitor attempt to write himself into Buckeye football history books with simple edits on wiki game entries from the 70's.      It ended up being a pretty funny ordeal that actually received attention from a couple national outlets like Yahoo. 

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Google doesn't "use them".   Google is a search engine that simply provides results.   Wiki is entirely community governed.     Funny enough, I was apart of a forum from long ago that had a visitor attempt to write himself into Buckeye football history books with simple edits on wiki game entries from the 70's.      It ended up being a pretty funny ordeal that actually received attention from a couple national outlets like Yahoo. 

Reminds me of something some Oklahoma fans did after beating Ohio State..you would ask Siri who owns Ohio State Stadium and Siri would say according to Wikipedia Baker Mayfield owns Ohio State stadium...I didn't see the humor in it at the time but now Mayfield is a Cleveland Brown I have to admit it was pretty clever...

4 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Reminds me of something some Oklahoma fans did after beating Ohio State..you would ask Siri who owns Ohio State Stadium and Siri would say according to Wikipedia Baker Mayfield owns Ohio State stadium...I didn't see the humor in it at the time but now Mayfield is a Clevelend Brown I have to admit it was pretty clever...

Some true zealot like Buckeyes do the same to the *ichigan page after we beat them in The Game.     All in good fun for the most part.     But the guy I'm referencing was.... a bit of a scam artist.    One that tried to use the power of public editing and it backfired on him quite hard.       Similar situation here.    The IP's that edit changes in Wiki which are changed back can be perma banned.

7 hours ago, Gorka said:

I don’t recall ever mentioning political leaning but if you feel compelled to defend a position I never attacked, jump on in.

9 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You want to take a guess on who has posted more satirical articles on this board as facts over the years? Our conservative posters or the "left"?

You've been here for years so you know the answer.

Satire posted on a message board is highly irrelevant to this topic. Please go back and review the subject matter.