THE BROWNS BOARD

Long shot review

Long Shot
Summit entertainment / Lionsgate
R.                   123 min

It’s possible that this film will please or displease viewers depending on how they see Seth Rogen. He’s just a slightest bit polarizing, I know some people that can’t stand him and some, like myself, like him pretty well in the right situation, usually playing the part of the lovable loser. I guess you would say he’s the chairman of the board the of modern-day Pack (Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill Etc) that seems to be a little bit charisma challenged especially when compared to previous versions, the Frat pack the Brat pack and the infamous Rat Pack. Those of you who remember is ZACK AND MIRI or SAUSAGE PARTY (both of which I like a lot) also know that Rogen is no stranger to over-the-top vulgarity which is the cornerstone of this latest political romantic comedy romp LONG SHOT.  In this case the emphasis is definitely on the word political because frankly it’s not funny, and the vulgarity overwhelms the romance like a cat turd would overwhelm and orange blossom. Sporting a grubby beard that will remind you of one of the Smith Brothers of cough drop fame and a wardrobe slightly less stylish than Michael Moore, Rogen is Fred Flasky, a zealous left wing journalist who finds himself unemployed because of the dastardly right-wing mainstream media. That’s the first big leap of reality. Oh he's also playing the part  Brooklyn  Jew  with as much authenticity  as ham on white with American cheese and mayo. Charlize Theron is Charlotte Field not only one of the most brilliant and accomplished women in the world but also the Secretary of State. It turns out that years ago she used to babysit Flasky who has quite an embarrassing memory of those days. Bob Odenkirk, also known as Saul Goodman from BETTER CALL SAUL, is the president of the United States as well as an idiot, who is decided not to run for re-election in order to pursue his dream of getting into the movies. Everything looks like sunshine and roses for The heir hpparent Field and her far-reaching environmental plan that seems a lot bit like AOC'S Green New Deal. She will cross paths with Flasky, and hires him to write a little spice into her speeches for the upcoming presidential campaign. It turns out she has always had the hots for this unpleasant schlub which is major leap of reality number two. He’s actually reluctant to take the job because he fears that she, as a politician, can’t be as abrasive and radical as he wants her to be. He thinks any softening of that agenda is tantamount to betrayal and sooner or later that will come between them. Especially when someone reads the environmental plan to the president and once again evil right-wingers demand it be gutted. She’s struggling with her conscience trying to decide if it’s better to compromise or have nothing at when the bad guys, who have hacked his laptop, threaten blackmail with a video of him masturbating all over himself. I’m not kidding, this is about the average level of humor throughout this turd of a motion picture. Rather than playing the traditional lovable schlub I mentioned before, Rogen takes the character a couple more steps into full asshole. No matter how badly one tries the premise just can’t be believed, and it really needs to if this dog is going to succeed on any level. Which, unfortunately, it does not. Longshot now has earned a spot on my shelf of the worst comedies ever next to CADDYSHACK 2 and DUMB AND DUMBER. As you know I’ve disagreed with lots of people over lots of films and I actually heard laughter coming from the theater but I’m assuming those patrons are either heavily medicated or brain-damaged.
F+

boy I couldnt agree with you more on this one Steve... 

my wife picked this one because she thought Seth Rogan was the bearded guy in the Hangover movies, to which I said NO, that was 

probably Zack Galafakas she was thinking of.

Weve seen the previews to this clunker so we understood the premise. 

Anyway, I went knowing how much I would hate this film,  I  slept through the first part. But to my shock when I awoke to start watching this

unreal fictional character Flasky getting a shot with the likes of Charlotte Field and actually making a go of what looked like a romance drama, instead of his usual whining 

and bitching. And like you said trying to make this believable? 

And how about an actress like C Theron adding raunch to her repertoire? 

(I dont know anymore, it used to be that the better actors actresses had higher standards, like Raquel Welch never doing nude scenes for instance..

she knew the value of letting us use our imagination)

Anyways - i laughed in agreement with your review, but they need a name for the pack... how about slack pack?

• Haha 1