THE BROWNS BOARD

Donovan McNabb said...

Orion

...on Bull & Fox today that back when he was being drafted he heard 'rumblings' that the Browns did not want to draft a black QB as the face of their franchise upon their return to the NFL.

Hopefully it's not true....and just something that he heard.  And frankly, to him, it was probably a double edged sword.  He was probably fine with not being drafted to an expansion team (don't say anything Gipper)....but you would NEVER want THAT to be a reason.

Again, all he said was that he heard 'rumblings'.     Obviously, it's nothing to do with the current Browns & ownership.....but extremely sad if it were to be true.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

...on Bull & Fox today that back when he was being drafted he heard 'rumblings' that the Browns did not want to draft a black QB as the face of their franchise upon their return to the NFL.

Hopefully it's not true....and just something that he heard.  And frankly, to him, it was probably a double edged sword.  He was probably fine with not being drafted to an expansion team (don't say anything Gipper)....but you would NEVER want THAT to be a reason.

Again, all he said was that he heard 'rumblings'.     Obviously, it's nothing to do with the current Browns & ownership.....but extremely sad if it were to be true.

Yet recently it came out that the Browns had Akili Smith just below Couch and almost took him, so.... 

Who knows? Hell, two of the big names involved (Al Lerner, Dwight Clark) are dead. 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

two of the big names involved (Al Lerner, Dwight Clark

Al Lerner DID come from a generation where there was more racism than now.  When he was young it was probably quite prevalent.   -  That, of course, does not mean that he was a racist.  

As far as the QB's go (getting away from racism)......as I recall, I didn't really like ANY of 'em.  I knew that we pretty much had to take one, but i wasn't thrilled.  After the draft and before the season they had that Quarterback Challenge thing where the drafted QB's had to throw footballs through moving targets, into the clown's mouth, etc., etc.  Of course I was watching Tim Couch.....and as the thing went on I became quite dismayed....Couch did not really do well.  He couldn't get it in the clown's mouth.

We never got to see how good Couch could've been because he really never had a team around him....and never had a decent offensive line.  So he got crushed to bits.

Oh I agree Orion, it wouldn't shock me if there is some truth to it. Not at all. 

I think Couch got handed a horrible hand, like David Carr after him, but I still contend that Couch's ceiling was being an average starting QB at best. No part of his game was really that special, IMO. That being said, I respect the hell out of him, and would hope all Browns fans do too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh I agree Orion, it wouldn't shock me if there is some truth to it. Not at all. 

I think Couch got handed a horrible hand, like David Carr after him, but I still contend that Couch's ceiling was being an average starting QB at best. No part of his game was really that special, IMO. That being said, I respect the hell out of him, and would hope all Browns fans do too. 

Rosen was given the same really bad hand at Arizona. Miami's gain.

McNabb is simply playing a game of history revisionism.  

The fact is, Tim Couch was considered THE best QB prospect coming out that year....almost all the draft services out there felt that at the time. So it is pure BS for him to say racism was a part of it.  

Tim Couch may have in fact become the better QB if the situation was different. Couch went to a paper franchise at that time. While the Eagles had the #2 pick, they were still a fully operating functioning franchise that had made some good draft choices in the years just before 1999. And McNabb came into a situation to a team that had just hired one very outstanding coach...Andy Reid

Had things been reversed, had the Brown taken McNabb, and the Eagle taken Couch, things easily could have been reversed.  It could have been Couch who benefitted by Reid's coaching...and it could have been McNabb who was getting the life crushed out of him like Lady Mormont.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I respect the hell out of him,

Yup.  He never had a bad thing to say about his situation.

I never bad mouthed Tim Couch (unless you're gonna count what I said above about the QB Challenge thing....and I'd never mentioned that before).  I honestly felt bad for him.  He came to a team run by buffoons.  That Plan B draft they did was atrocious.  They took all special teamers and left the veteran leadership on the board.    

On 5/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, Orion said:

Who cares?  That was 1999, this is 2019.

More excuses for Donovan.. typical... He should explain to his team why he choked in the SB...

On 5/1/2019 at 11:10 PM, Orion said:

We never got to see how good Couch could've been because he really never had a team around him....and never had a decent offensive line.  So he got crushed to bits.

Couldn't agree more.  I've always thought if Couch had an offense line, he would've been great and talked about like that of Andrew Luck.  But we had a "make do" Oline and unfortunately the QB had to pay.  ☹️

3 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Couldn't agree more.  I've always thought if Couch had an offense line, he would've been great and talked about like that of Andrew Luck.  But we had a "make do" Oline and unfortunately the QB had to pay.  ☹️

Same way David Carr got ruined with the Texans... 

On 5/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, Orion said:

My dad is a huge Eagles fan. McNabb is known to be occasionally full of shit. He has been a real hot take machine about Wentz.

Couch wasn't that good. Even when he was completely healthy and had decent blocking.

His ceiling was a Blake Bortles or Sam Bradford. Not McNabb.

Zombo

--But he was better than Akili Smith, so there's that.

42 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Couch wasn't that good. Even when he was completely healthy and had decent blocking.

His ceiling was a Blake Bortles or Sam Bradford. Not McNabb.

Zombo

--But he was better than Akili Smith, so there's that.

He was playoff caliber good. 

On 5/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Yet recently it came out that the Browns had Akili Smith just below Couch and almost took him, so.... 

Who knows? Hell, two of the big names involved (Al Lerner, Dwight Clark) are dead. 

Recently? That was the scuttlebutt at the time of the draft. And Tim Couch was pretty much the consensus number one pick across the league.

And if I'm not mistaken the open-minded fans in Philadelphia just about shit their Collective pants...

WSS

20 hours ago, Zombo said:

Like I said, Blake Bortles ceiling.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zombo

Tim Couch was average or slightly better, but he couldn't reach his potential here. He came in with a lot of fire, jumping up to fight, when he took a hit. That didn't last long, though...getting beaten up, constantly with no protection from the line....no one to stand up for him when he took a cheap shot. I really like Couch, but as a passer, he didn't have a strong arm. He could never hit a receiver in stride. They would always have to wait for the ball to get there.