THE BROWNS BOARD

The Scottish Hammer

PoeticG

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Other than that? 

If this is baseball, you would had just advocated replacing a starting pitcher who gives you 200 innings pitched a year at above average production for a kid who throws harder but you have no idea if he has a good breaking pitch or has control. 

This is an interesting move, and I feel like fans are fine with it because the new guy as a cool nickname and is the new flavor of the month. Colquitt is an excellent punter. 

But it's  not baseball.  Punting isn't  the equivalent of starting  pitching.  That's your  qb. Never  said Colquitt  wasn't  good ( BTW, he just  got  signed by the  Vikings) just that Gilian was even- maybe even ahead- in the  competition  at this point.  

For  sure, the superior  athlete.  He's  always  going  to be  a  threat on fake  punts and FGs. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

But it's  not baseball.  Punting isn't  the equivalent of starting  pitching.  That's your  qb. Never  said Colquitt  wasn't  good ( BTW, he just  got  signed by the  Vikings) just that Gilian was even- maybe even ahead- in the  competition  at this point.  

For  sure, the superior  athlete.  He's  always  going  to be  a  threat on fake  punts and FGs. 

And I was impressed that he's actually a real part of the punt return stoppers. The guy can fight through blocks and hit people. He still needs to get better hang time so he doesn't outkick the coverage or learn to kick it long and OOBs for no return.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Fun read, and hats off to those Browns fans buying him a round.

You may take my downs, but you will never take... MY FIELD POSITIONNNN!!!

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So now what people have to start wearing kilts to the games. That would be fresh.

Perhaps there should be a Kilt Crew at the games.

As Treebeard The Ent would say "don't be hasty". I believe Canton Mike is stuck with a Shelton jersey and a Lava Lava outfit.  :) 

Mayfield will have to win a couple MVPs and probably a Super Bowl or two before I'm spending money on a #6 jersey.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

As Treebeard The Ent would say "don't be hasty". I believe Canton Mike is stuck with a Shelton jersey and a Lava Lava outfit.  :) 

Mayfield will have to win a couple MVPs and probably a Super Bowl or two before I'm spending money on a #6 jersey.  

That would be correct.  Don't forget my Manziel jersey! :wacko:

It's not just me either....Zombo tried the Lava Lava on, but at least he didn't BUY the damn thing. Oh well, it's history now.

I believe my Joe Thomas, Baker Mayfield, & Denzel Ward have been better investments.

Mike 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

That would be correct.  Don't forget my Manziel jersey! :wacko:

It's not just me either....Zombo tried the Lava Lava on, but at least he didn't BUY the damn thing. Oh well, it's history now.

I believe my Joe Thomas, Baker Mayfield, & Denzel Ward have been better investments.

Mike 

I was smart enough to never open the Manziel one to save as an antique. But the new Garrett one may just have to come out of the plastic on his 20th sack of the season.👍 And I'm hoping for an Astros 2019 World Champs companion to my 2017 still in plastic.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was smart enough to never open the Manziel one to save as an antique. But the new Garrett one may just have to come out of the plastic on his 20th sack of the season.👍 And I'm hoping for an Astros 2019 World Champs companion to my 2017 still in plastic.

:) I  still  have a #2 Couch Jersey gathering  dust in the  basement.  After that bad investment  I  came up with a  more permanent  solution. #46 + "Your Name " is good forever. IIRC, Canton  Mike has one of  those also.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

:) I  still  have a #2 Couch Jersey gathering  dust in the  basement.  After that bad investment  I  came up with a  more permanent  solution. #46 + "Your Name " is good forever. IIRC, Canton  Mike has one of  those also.

I'm surprised Mike's doesn't read "00-99" and reads "Covered" on the back.😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Right again Larry.  :D

#46= Browns 1st year, my year of birth, & Don Fleming's retired #. Couldn't miss on that one.

Mike

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

67534239_2072904236339547_516915635019375104_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com

There IS only one. Glad we have him. Shirt from Szabo Apparel in Vermilion, Ohio. I'm a real Fan of these folks.

Mike

It's not up on the website yet Mike very nice- going to get one..  A lot of my blood donation Ts are getting to the end of the line anyway...  

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

67534239_2072904236339547_516915635019375104_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com

There IS only one. Glad we have him. Shirt from Szabo Apparel in Vermilion, Ohio. I'm a real Fan of these folks.

Mike

Well....if you must know.....Gillan is a sept of the Clan McClean...NOT Clan McCleod.  

My Scottish side of the family....The Gipper's are a sept of the Clan Buchanan.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well....if you must know.....Gillan is a sept of the Clan McClean...NOT Clan McCleod.  

My Scottish side of the family....The Gipper's are a sept of the Clan Buchanan.

Details, details, it's like Jamie having to tell OBJ he had that kilt on backwards, bet 99.9% of the folks at that party didn't know the difference.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

It's not up on the website yet Mike very nice- going to get one..  A lot of my blood donation Ts are getting to the end of the line anyway...  

BTW, I contacted Szabo, and the shirt isn't available- yet. That's just a prototype. They're working out the details with Jamie to get his OK to ramp up production. Of course, he's entitled to a cut of the proceeds.  :)   

4 hours ago, ATOM said:

who in the fuck did he beat out Colguitt ? i honestly just thought the hammer was just i gimmick thing

He looks good. Solid kicks and likes to get in on tackles. His weak point would be on FG and PAT holds. And from the reports I’ve read have him doing a whole lot of practice on that. After last years STs we should be pretty good this time around. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/22/scottish-hammer-how-jamie-gillan-went-scotland-an-hbcu-browns-rookie-standout/%3foutputType=amp

Sharing this very fun read about Gillan. I didn’t realize Arkansas Pine Bluff is an historical black college.

He is unique. Likes to tackle and takes his job to heart. Off to a good start too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, hoorta said:

I'm still stuck with a Browns AND a White Couch jersey. I was so happy to have our team back. Poor Couch, never had a chance.

Jerseys for sale. Maybe I'll see if Canton Mike or Flugels will trade me a Scottish Hammer football card for em.....

who, btw, was named AFC Special Teams player of the month for September!

Browns punter Jamie Gillan named AFC Special ... - msn.com

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-punter...

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns punter Jamie Gillan was an undrafted free agent trying to beat out a veteran at his position a little over a month ago. Now, he’s the AFC Special Teams Player of the .

59 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm still stuck with a Browns AND a White Couch jersey. I was so happy to have our team back. Poor Couch, never had a chance.

Jerseys for sale. Maybe I'll see if Canton Mike or Flugels will trade me a Scottish Hammer football card for em.....

who, btw, was named AFC Special Teams player of the month for September!

Browns punter Jamie Gillan named AFC Special ... - msn.com

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-punter...

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns punter Jamie Gillan was an undrafted free agent trying to beat out a veteran at his position a little over a month ago. Now, he’s the AFC Special Teams Player of the .

That’s pretty cool. Kinda wondering what’s going on in the world of special teams though if a punter who has simply done a solid job gets this award? Have there been any punts or kicks run back for a TD this year? Usually that guy gets that award. Or the FG kicker making a few long ones.

On 9/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

And I was impressed that he's actually a real part of the punt return stoppers. The guy can fight through blocks and hit people. He still needs to get better hang time so he doesn't outkick the coverage or learn to kick it long and OOBs for no return.

The need to have him do a pre game workout on the field that involves him doing this....Fuckin' A! Intimidate the other teams.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Welp, I'm willing to eat some crow on this one. Anyone need a fork?

LoL..we surely can't be alone.. folk please..as soon as i read the camp notes that the thunder foot of Scotland never took a FG snap, let alone hold for a kick..I Never thought they would give him the nod over Colquitt.. to ST Player of the Month..dawgs that's quite feat..I heard on redzone last night, Phifer was the coach pounding the table to keep Hammer..another win/win.. I'll continue to just play fan 🤓.. 

54 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

LoL..we surely can't be alone.. folk please..as soon as i read the camp notes that the thunder foot of Scotland never took a FG snap, let alone hold for a kick..I Never thought they would give him the nod over Colquitt.. to ST Player of the Month..dawgs that's quite feat..I heard on redzone last night, Phifer was the coach pounding the table to keep Hammer..another win/win.. I'll continue to just play fan 🤓.. 

I was on Hammer's bandwagon from the get-go. Far younger, stronger, but what really sold me was the ATTITUDE I saw in interviews & when he was working. The only concern I had was his holding for the kicker, but that has been answered.

My guess is that the top selling CUSTOM jersey this year will be #7 with HAMMER (not GILLAN) on the back.

Mike