THE BROWNS BOARD

The Scottish Hammer

PoeticG

15 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I’m just so unsure having a Rookie kicker and punter with how good this squad is.

We drafted Seibert- he was going to win the kicking job, unless he majorly screwed up. FWIW, Joseph was 17\20 on field goals, and missed four extra points. that's pretty pedestrian. Dorsey saw a need to upgrade. Don't forget Austin won the Groza award as the best kicker in college ball last year- though that's sort of like getting on the cover of SI, or Madden.  Plenty of those guys went on to flop in the Pros. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Yup. I didn't believe it when you called it. 

It's a risky play, but you gotta like the guy. Hoping he locks it down for the Browns for some time.

Yeah it's almost universal- the talking heads & beat writers out there are calling it "risky". I was just trying to be objective. The only thing Colquitt had over Gilian is a 9 year track record. Admittedly, it remains to be seen if Jamie is as good a directional punter, or has the technique to kill a punt inside the 10 yard line. Other than that- I hadn't seen Britton uncork a 70 yard punt last year. It's pretty obvious Gilian has the stronger leg, & fer sure is the superior athlete. (Just don't get hurt doing the kamikaze thing covering punts) Another thing to consider- Jamie also was the kicker on his college team, so should Seibert pull a hammie or get hurt, we already have his backup on the roster. Of course l think the Browns made the right choice- whether that proves to be true in time- we'll see.  :)  

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

We drafted Seibert- he was going to win the kicking job, unless he majorly screwed up. FWIW, Joseph was 17\20 on field goals, and missed four extra points. that's pretty pedestrian. Dorsey saw a need to upgrade. Don't forget Austin won the Groza award as the best kicker in college ball last year- though that's sort of like getting on the cover of SI, or Madden.  Plenty of those guys went on to flop in the Pros. 

Yeah it's almost universal- the talking heads & beat writers out there are calling it "risky". I was just trying to be objective. The only thing Colquitt had over Gilian is a 9 year track record. Admittedly, it remains to be seen if Jamie is as good a directional punter, or has the technique to kill a punt inside the 10 yard line. Other than that- I hadn't seen Britton uncork a 70 yard punt last year. It's pretty obvious Gilian has the stronger leg, & fer sure is the superior athlete. (Just don't get hurt doing the kamikaze thing covering punts) Another thing to consider- Jamie also was the kicker on his college team, so should Seibert pull a hammie or get hurt, we already have his backup on the roster. Of course l think the Browns made the right choice- whether that proves to be true in time- we'll see.  :)  

Yeah, but the Rugby background has him thinking like this: "Can't wait to mind phuck the NFL when  I show up with longer hair and tighter mini-skirts than Lady GaGa.  You gotta be kidding me?  I get to wear a helmet and shoulder pads when I have to tackle someone? And this league uses Sports Doctors and Athletic Trainers instead of Duck Tape and Beer from a Keg?  And minimum wage to play this game is $250K?   I don't care how much they paid Colquitt to punt the ball.  This job is mine!" 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, but the Rugby background has him thinking like this: "Can't wait to mind phuck the NFL when  I show up with longer hair and tighter mini-skirts than Lady GaGa.  You gotta be kidding me?  I get to wear a helmet and shoulder pads when I have to tackle someone? And this league uses Sports Doctors and Athletic Trainers instead of Duck Tape and Beer from a Keg?  And minimum wage to play this game is $250K?   I don't care how much they paid Colquitt to punt the ball.  This job is mine?" 

LOL, actually Tom it's more like $450k now.

Oh, and Colquitt should be able to find employment on another team pretty quickly....  

58 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

For the longest time l thought it was called “duck tape” because it sorta sounded like a mechanical quacking noise when you peeled a strip off.

Obviously in Spain we don't use that term, but for the English one I'll stick to your ethimology, lol. I like it. Anyhow, where does its name really come from?

18 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

For the longest time l thought it was called “duck tape” because it sorta sounded like a mechanical quacking noise when you peeled a strip off.

😄 Duck tape actually began as strips of cloth with an adhesive added - mostly used by soldiers.  Then, it was used as Duct Tape primarily in construction.  Today,  it is known as Duct Tape and sold by 1 company under the brand name Duck.  

Believe it or not, I got that from my cell phone by asking what came first Duck Tape or Duct Tape.   You can try this at home unless you're Gipper.   His phone will just think he wants to play Duck Duck Goose Goose again...

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Flugel said:

😄 Duck tape actually began as strips of cloth with an adhesive added - mostly used by soldiers.  Then, it was used as Duct Tape primarily in construction.  Today,  it is known as Duct Tape and sold by 1 company under the brand name Duck.  

Believe it or not, I got that from my cell phone by asking what came first Duck Tape or Duct Tape.   You can try this at home unless you're Gipper.   His phone will just think he wants to play Duck Duck Goose Goose again...

Nero should probably know- the original use of "duct" tape in construction is to seal air leaks in heating\ air conditioning pipes.  Dozens of other uses around the house, wouldn't be without a roll lying around. . Some guy thought it would be cute to market the stuff as "duck" and not "duct" tape. 

Duck Brand 240924 Basic Strength Duct Tape, 1.88 Inches by 10 Yards, Silver, Single Roll

31 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah I got a bit curious about it......

Duct tape is commonly also referred to as "duck tape".[4] Duct tape was originally known as "duck tape" because it was originally made out of cotton duck fabric and was said to repel water like the back of a duck.[5] Duct tape adopted its modern name following World War II, when it began being marketed as a way to fix leaks in forced-air heating systems.[6] Despite the name, modern duct tape is not designed to be used in air ducts, where HVAC tape is preferred.[7] Both terms are often used today, and confusion and debate exists over which term is correct.[8][9] Paul Brians claims the correct term is "duct tape".[4] Duck tape more accurately refers to the brand Duck Tape, originally registered by Manco Inc. and now sold by Shurtape.[8]

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Gorilla Tape is some badass shit too. 

LOL are you saying a Gorilla can beat up a Duck?  Actually Gorilla glue is pretty badass, you can use it as a last resort in some instances to fix otherwise hopelessly broken stuff. The flex line of products has their uses too. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Let the Duck Tape Jokes begin!🦆🤣

When do you use duct tape on a duck?

When he's quacked.
  • Haha 1

And it ain't over till it's over with duck tape and gorilla glue. 😜😁

Smart neighbor

Chris is sitting on his front porch sees his neighbor walking down the street with 22 rolls of duct tape, so he asks him, "What you doing with all that duct tape?" And his neighbor replies, "I'm going to catch me some ducks". Confused, Chris tells him, "that's not how duct tape works, but okay" and later that day his neighbour is seen with several ducks, and Chris is even more confused.

The next day Chris sees his neighbor with 22 bottles of gorilla glue, curious again he asks again, why. And the neighbor says hes going to catch him some gorillas. Chris has a chuckle and says, "Yeah bud, good luck with that one". And later that day Chris sees his neighbor with 2 gorillas on leashes and is just perplexed as to how this is even remotely possible.

The next day, he sees his neighbor with a bunch of pussy willows and jumps out of his chair and yells, "WAIT, LET ME GET MY COAT"

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Gorilla Tape is some badass shit too. 

Gorilla tape is over rated..I tried it on a old computer desk I have , just to cover the area where the formica trim came off the sliding tray . where the Keyboard sits... It would'nt stay adhered to it.. Total bullshit...

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

The only thing Colquitt had over Gilian is a 9 year track record. Admittedly, it remains to be seen if Jamie is as good a directional punter, or has the technique to kill a punt inside the 10 yard line. Other than that- I hadn't seen Britton uncork a 70 yard punt last year.

Other than that? 

If this is baseball, you would had just advocated replacing a starting pitcher who gives you 200 innings pitched a year at above average production for a kid who throws harder but you have no idea if he has a good breaking pitch or has control. 

This is an interesting move, and I feel like fans are fine with it because the new guy as a cool nickname and is the new flavor of the month. Colquitt is an excellent punter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Other than that? 

If this is baseball, you would had just advocated replacing a starting pitcher who gives you 200 innings pitched a year at above average production for a kid who throws harder but you have no idea if he has a good breaking pitch or has control. 

This is an interesting move, and I feel like fans are fine with it because the new guy as a cool nickname and is the new flavor of the month. Colquitt is an excellent punter. 

My guess is the Browns see him as a guy who, within a year or 2, could be in the conversation as one of top punters in the league. Which is probably the baseball equivalent of a late inning middle infielder defensive replacement who can’t hit worth a shit. That guy has a helluva glove, but making a couple mil more than the up and coming young guy who ALSO has a great glove and also can’t hit for shit, but with time maybe the young guy’s bat will come around.

I anticipate there may be a couple times we mutter “fuckin’ Hammer” under our breath this year, and not the good kind of muttering, but there will likely be a few positive “fuckin’ Hammer!!” plays too.

I figure Kitchens and Priefer are a wee bit stoked at the trick play possibilities with Gillan too. As a fan l can’t recall a time l ever scooted up in my chair for a punt, but maybe l will this year.