THE BROWNS BOARD

Gerald McCoy/ Mike Daniels

darren15

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/free-agent-gerald-mccoy-reportedly-deciding-between-two-afc-north-teams/    why play now in a 3-4 defensive front with a QB that says he never knew his offense would change with a new OC 🙄..Leave your Agent in Balt-dee & ride to the Land.. Thank me later;) when all your dinners are free..🏆

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Which is the definition of "a position of strength".

It usually takes you more than consecutive posts for you to contradict yourself

I didn't contradict myself at all....you just have comprehension/interpretation issues. 

Trading Zeitler may indeed have created a weakness out of a position of strength.  I simply related how it may be that Dorsey feels about it:  moving someone to open up a position for someone else that he may have more confidence in.  Why does he have more confidence in him? Perhaps, simply because Corbett was HIS choice. 

So...no I did not contradict myself.  I still do not believe you strengthen one position by weakening another.  But despite what I think may have happened here....Dorsey may not think the same way as I do.  Or maybe he does. Maybe he does NOT think that he has weakened the RG position by his moves.  We just have to live by what he has done and hope he is right. 

Will I defer to him because he has the job...and the experience and the knowlege?  Absoluteley. (that does not mean that he will be proven right) And believe it or not...he even has all that over you despite what you may think.

They are indicating he is now going to Carolina too. Can you spell distraction? 

Let me know when he's a Brown......otherwise, meh....

We coulda/shoulda just dropped a 6th or 7th and it woulda been a done deal weeks ago.....

• Upvote 1

For 13m tho. Think Dorsey is smart on this...we had first visit, GM likely knows we have the most money.

Can't blame the guy for doing the FA tour...career is almost over and it's a first for him. Saint might even throw in, but they're also cap strapped a bit. Browns definitely not a shoe in by any means, but think we got a chance to land him. It's obviously about money...

48 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

We coulda/shoulda just dropped a 6th or 7th and it woulda been a done deal weeks ago.....

I think his $13 million a year salary was too rich for us. We would've been on the hook for it in a trade. 

3 hours ago, Mudfly said:

wutz up stranger..🤜🤛  reportedly, only one team tried to trade..reported, as Not Us, 4 days ago..  https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/5/25/18639671/report-buccaneers-almost-traded-gerald-mccoy      my guess would be, the Bucs wanted a draft pick/picks, a round or two higher? Honestly, am glad he gets to go where he* chooses..    

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I think his $13 million a year salary was too rich for us. We would've been on the hook for it in a trade. 

So?  Now he is a free agent who can take the best offer, right?   And by cutting him, TB was off the hook for that 13 mill right?  And the same with any team that signs him, right?

Another question:  how about the Rams, are they in the mix?   They lost Suh so would they be in the market for a replacemement? (or did they get one already).  And obviously they fit the condition of being a "contender"....given that they were just in the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

If he signs with any team other than us... he's not really into winning a championship. Playoffs, maybe. But let it be known that we are winning it all.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

So?  Now he is a free agent who can take the best offer, right?   YES  And by cutting him, TB was off the hook for that 13 mill right?  YES And the same with any team that signs him, right? YES

Another question:  how about the Rams, are they in the mix?   They lost Suh so would they be in the market for a replacement? (or did they get one already).  And obviously they fit the condition of being a "contender"....given that they were just in the Super Bowl.

Regarding McCoy's contract- he can sign wherever he wants to, and it's going to be less than $13 million. 

Rams? Don't have the cap room- reason they let Suh walk.   

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

If he signs with any team other than us... he's not really into winning a championship. Playoffs, maybe. But let it be known that we are winning it all.

:D Your optimism is admirable, but it's way too early to start Super Bowl talk. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So?  Now he is a free agent who can take the best offer, right?   And by cutting him, TB was off the hook for that 13 mill right?  And the same with any team that signs him, right?

Another question:  how about the Rams, are they in the mix?   They lost Suh so would they be in the market for a replacemement? (or did they get one already).  And obviously they fit the condition of being a "contender"....given that they were just in the Super Bowl.

Yes, he can sign with any team but rumor has it that he will only sign with a contender and he's willing to take less money. I read one team not thought to be contending offered him over $11 per year, but he turned it down because he wants to play for Ravens, Browns, or Panthers. My best guess is that he goes to Baltimore, unfortunately. He wouldn't be a rotational player, they had pretty much the best defense, and he knows coaching staff very well. However, he could very easily play for us if he actually WANTS to be rotational. This would allow him to be fresher and provide him with more opportunities to rush the passer on obvious passing downs, something he loves to do. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yes, he can sign with any team but rumor has it that he will only sign with a contender and he's willing to take less money. I read one team not thought to be contending offered him over $11 per year, but he turned it down because he wants to play for Ravens, Browns, or Panthers. My best guess is that he goes to Baltimore, unfortunately. He wouldn't be a rotational player, they had pretty much the best defense, and he knows coaching staff very well. However, he could very easily play for us if he actually WANTS to be rotational. This would allow him to be fresher and provide him with more opportunities to rush the passer on obvious passing downs, something he loves to do. 

I would question whether or not the Ravens have the best defense now....particularly since Mosley and Suggs and a few others are gone.  See my AFCN  position rankings thread.  I gave the Ravens the edge in the division at the DB unit, for now.  The Steelers the LB unit...and the Browns by far the DL unit.  That would not change even if he signs with the Ratfuckers.  If he signs with us...it would even solidify the Browns DL as the best in the division further, but yes, he would have to be a rotational guy.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I would question whether or not the Ravens have the best defense now....particularly since Mosley and Suggs and a few others are gone.  See my AFCN  position rankings thread.  I gave the Ravens the edge in the division at the DB unit, for now.  The Steelers the LB unit...and the Browns by far the DL unit.  That would not change even if he signs with the Ratfuckers.  If he signs with us...it would even solidify the Browns DL as the best in the division further, but yes, he would have to be a rotational guy.

That is an excellent point, I forgot about the losses of those players! 

he was stll the 4th best DT lastbyear right? so im not adverse to psying him just not overpaying....he has to understand we have alot of young players coming due in the bext year or so and we're not gonna hsmstring ourselves over a 31 yr old.

If he wants to be on a contender....no one else he's talking to has our overall roster and no one else has that defensive front. Carolina already has 2 very good starting DT's so he'd be rotational depth just like here. 

if he's smart he plays with Sheldon and Jobi over kawann and dantari. And panthers have nothing to speak of coming off the edge next year. 

Latest from NFL.com:

"Rapoport reported Wednesday that McCoy was attempting to start a bidding war between the Browns and Ravens for his services. But the compensation was not what he wanted -- more than the $10 million that Ndamukong Suh received in Tampa Bay -- so McCoy is taking a third visit to Carolina, Rapoport added."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001032290/article/gerald-mccoy-visiting-panthers-after-ravens-meeting

MHO- no reason for the Browns to overpay for McCoy, if he's looking for big money.  Sucks if he winds up with the Ravens. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Latest from NFL.com:

"Rapoport reported Wednesday that McCoy was attempting to start a bidding war between the Browns and Ravens for his services. But the compensation was not what he wanted -- more than the $10 million that Ndamukong Suh received in Tampa Bay -- so McCoy is taking a third visit to Carolina, Rapoport added."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001032290/article/gerald-mccoy-visiting-panthers-after-ravens-meeting

MHO- no reason for the Browns to overpay for McCoy, if he's looking for big money.  Sucks if he winds up with the Ravens. 

Can the Ravens afford close to the 10 million on their salary cap?  I know the Browns can.

Looked it up:

Browns have 33 million, Ratfuckers only have like 13 million.    Panthers have less than the Ravens with @ 9 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

MHO- no reason for the Browns to overpay for McCoy, if he's looking for big money. 

Exactly.  I don't want us ruining a team salary structure by overpaying an older player.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Can the Ravens afford close to the 10 million on their salary cap?  I know the Browns can.

Looked it up:

Browns have 33 million, Ratfuckers only have like 13 million.    Panthers have less than the Ravens with @ 9 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

True, but what you need to look at is the last column- that's more like the available money this year, which is even less.  Colts easily have the most money left, and they're not interested in McCoy- which should tell you something.  

For the Browns, McCoy is a luxury item- and Dorsey isn't buying unless the price is right.  :)  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Not too worried.   Now there are rumors of Mike Daniels possibly being a cap cut victim in Green Bay.   😁😁

thsts a big 2 gapper looks like. We already have a guy or two like that on our roster no? That being said...clevfan likes a big 2 gapper paired with a jobi or sheldon type. Mskes sure no interior lineman even dream of helping out the tackles. 

59 minutes ago, hoorta said:

For the Browns, McCoy is a luxury item- and Dorsey isn't buying unless the price is right.  :)  

Let's be honest. Wilks won't be counting on a Gregg Williams blitz system to get to the QB..Wilks pressure comes from the front 4 with seldom solo LB or safety blitz..Suh statline last season looks like he took half the year off till crunch time, imo. While Suh had Arron Donald to his right seeing most to all the double teams..Who did McCoy have to his right or left to get any help? No-Bodies! imo. If we need our front 4 to get pressure, let's look at Suh's pressure numbers w/A.Donald vs. McCoy's & nobody, only playing 14 games..Suh had 4 sacks, McCoy 6 sacks..Suh had 19 QB hits, while McCoy had 21 QB hits.In 2 less games..neither miss many tackles..Oakland just bought a lazy luxury in Suh for 1 year 9.25M..What in your mind or other's is Dorsey's non-luxury number for McCoy? If it is less than Suh's 1 year? it would really shock me..   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

thsts a big 2 gapper looks like. We already have a guy or two like that on our roster no? That being said...clevfan likes a big 2 gapper paired with a jobi or sheldon type. Mskes sure no interior lineman even dream of helping out the tackles. 

Daniels can do whatever you need.  Kid is probably one of the most underappreciated interior lineman in the NFL.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Let's be honest. Wilks won't be counting on a Gregg Williams blitz system to get to the QB..Wilks pressure comes from the front 4 with seldom solo LB or safety blitz..Suh statline last season looks like he took half the year off till crunch time, imo. While Suh had Arron Donald to his right seeing most to all the double teams..Who did McCoy have to his right or left to get any help? No-Bodies! imo. If we need our front 4 to get pressure, let's look at Suh's pressure numbers w/A.Donald vs. McCoy's & nobody, only playing 14 games..Suh had 4 sacks, McCoy 6 sacks..Suh had 19 QB hits, while McCoy had 21 QB hits.In 2 less games..neither miss many tackles..Oakland just bought a lazy luxury in Suh for 1 year 9.25M..What in your mind or other's is Dorsey's non-luxury number for McCoy? If it is less than Suh's 1 year? it would really shock me..   

...point(s) taken.

No doubt he would make us a better defense.  If you can pressure the QB with your 4 down linemen then the back 7 can cover more of the field.

So...you justify it by saying, 'Baker's gift was OBJ and Myles' gift is McCoy'.    and then McCoy can buy an orange Rolls Royce too.

Read a musing today that McCoy just might drag out signing past the upcoming mandatory mini-camps.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:22 PM, Mudfly said:

Agree.... $13mm was not a barrier... at least not if we really thought McCoy was a key piece to add to our 2019 puzzle.