THE BROWNS BOARD

Gerald McCoy/ Mike Daniels

darren15

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

And like Zettel, is his base position.   I'm merely saying they offer flexibility along the front by being able to move around.

Smith can move inside on passing downs but im not comfortable with.him full time at DT if one ofvthe other 2 get hurt. That was my point. Love that we have him at DE depth.

As fir zettel...he prob wont make final roster. He's not beating out smith or Avery.

Just now, Clevfan4life said:

Smith can move inside on passing downs but im not comfortable with.him full time at DT if one ofvthe other 2 get hurt. That was my point. Love that we have him at DE depth.

As fir zettel...he prob wont make final roster. He's not beating out smith or Avery.

Avery is listed and will be carried on roster as a linebacker - rightfully so.   In that regard neither are contending against Avery for a spot.

The ends listed on roster are Myles, Jarrel Owens, Wyatt Ray, Chris Smith, Chad Thomas, Vernon and Zettel.

So you can earkmark Myles & Vernon.   Leaving at least two spots open for a 2 deep, then if you're feeling froggy - toss in Avery.   Zettel and Smith have shown work in real NFL minutes.  The rest are rookies and practice squad players.       

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Avery is listed and will be carried on roster as a linebacker - rightfully so.   In that regard neither are contending against Avery for a spot.

The ends listed on roster are Myles, Jarrel Owens, Wyatt Ray, Chris Smith, Chad Thomas, Vernon and Zettel.

So you can earkmark Myles & Vernon.   Leaving at least two spots open for a 2 deep, then if you're feeling froggy - toss in Avery.   Zettel and Smith have shown work in real NFL minutes.  The rest are rookies and practice squad players.       

avery is technically labeled as olb'er mainly because he was the edge in gw's 34 packages. Not sure how wilks will use him....but he is absolutely our best pure edge rusher. He's not a 3 down 43 DE......obviously. But he's absolutely ahead on the chart over all those names save smith

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

And like Zettel, is his base position.   I'm merely saying they offer flexibility along the front by being able to move around.

You can tell whatever you like to some people - doesn't mean they listen.

Well, perhaps under the circumstances, those guys...Zettel and Smith may have to man the middle some.

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, perhaps under the circumstances, those guys...Zettel and Smith may have to man the middle some.

And I'm certain they will when the situation calls for it.    But it won't be in the same capacity that Jobi, Sheldon, Davis and Coley are. 

12 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

avery is technically labeled as olb'er mainly because he was the edge in gw's 34 packages. Not sure how wilks will use him....but he is absolutely our best pure edge rusher. He's not a 3 down 43 DE......obviously. But he's absolutely ahead on the chart over all those names save smith

He's labeled as a linebacker because aside from being a 2pt edge rusher, he was used as a classic strong side and drop role at times.  He is a linebacker, he just offers a couple different skill sets as a pass rusher we utilize effectively and can align on or off ball. 

I think we're speaking a different language but conveying the same things here. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, tiamat63 said:

he was used as a classic strong side and drop role at times.  

what do u think his future is there? he's kind of short for much coverage duties.....and prob not fast enough to handle rb's coming out of the backfield. 

edit: just saw this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/06/browns-minicamp-defensive-report-genard-avery-is-looking-more-like-an-edge-than-a-linebacker.html%3foutputType=amp

14 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

what do u think his future is there? he's kind of short for much coverage duties.....and prob not fast enough to handle rb's coming out of the backfield. 

edit: just saw this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/06/browns-minicamp-defensive-report-genard-avery-is-looking-more-like-an-edge-than-a-linebacker.html%3foutputType=amp

He'll be a strong side backer in base - less than 10% of our snaps. Then he'll be a 2pt edge rusher the rest of the time.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

He'll be a strong side backer in base - less than 10% of our snaps. Then he'll be a 2pt edge rusher the rest of the time.  

what kind of excited me about bringing mccoy in is we could have run two distinct defenses that catered to the players on the field. For a 34 We have a giant NT in Price, Mccoy as the 3T or 5T...with ofc the other guys rotating in. Hell even myles can play the 5T. There would be a def where Genard sees alot of reps. 

Its no secret that i prefer overall the 43....but when ur loaded with talent like we are, being able to switch up defensive looks so that  guys can come in and not just give other guys a rest but also play in the positions that best suit their talent. Id rather us do that than shoehorn genard in at a position in the 43 he might not be that good at. 

"If he would have came, it would have helped us, if not, we’re fine where we’re at,” defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said. “I like our potential already. And no one’s taking my spot.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/06/05/browns-cut-desmond-harrison-who-started-1st-8-games-at-left-tackle-last-year/

Best response yet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, htownbrown said:

"If he would have came, it would have helped us, if not, we’re fine where we’re at,” defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said. “I like our potential already. And no one’s taking my spot.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/06/05/browns-cut-desmond-harrison-who-started-1st-8-games-at-left-tackle-last-year/

Best response yet.

i agree that they can stop asking the pkayers about him. Its not like we "needed" him. It just would have given wilks an amazing flexibility in scheme from week to week

On 5/31/2019 at 4:13 PM, Tour2ma said:

Read a musing today that McCoy just might drag out signing past the upcoming mandatory mini-camps.

Agree.... $13mm was not a barrier... at least not if we really thought McCoy was a key piece to add to our 2019 puzzle.

Right.....the difference would be a few million, at most....

Based upon what they paid Richardson, Id think McCoy would be worth a similar investment for a year.  I believe he's the better player, but his age is a factor(of course)....

Definitely think we had low value assets we could have given to obtain him. I would have if I could have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, ATOM said:

so he only signed a one year contract with the panthers I would not be surprised if he was with us in 2020

at which point he'll be 32 and there will be alot better and younger FA's at DT next year. That being said we wont know if we even need a higher depth player at DT till the end of the season. And we dont know if he'll even plsy that well.

I was interested in having him here for this year but if this season pans out and our currebt depth guys do their jobs....he's not necessary

• Upvote 1

I think this was very personal for him. He wanted to be in the same division to make Tampa Bay pay, and he wants to be an every down starter, not part of a rotation as he would have been in Cleveland.

I think we will be strong inside. Trevon Coley will be better served coming off the bench, we have the carry overs Price and Davis (I currently have Davis as the fourth DT), and Daniel Ukulele was pointed out as a positive surprise in camp.

Zombo

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Zombo said:

I think this was very personal for him. He wanted to be in the same division to make Tampa Bay pay, and he wants to be an every down starter, not part of a rotation as he would have been in Cleveland.

I think we will be strong inside. Trevon Coley will be better served coming off the bench, we have the carry overs Price and Davis (I currently have Davis as the fourth DT), and Daniel Ukulele was pointed out as a positive surprise in camp.

Zombo

Let's see how effective Ukulele is with pads on first!

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing we didn't sign this guy --- he has gone 100% vegan.  Remember the cautionary tale of Houston RB Arian Foster who went vegan and immediately started having soft tissue injuries causing him to miss >50% of games for the remaining few yrs of his career.  My .02 says this will be McCoy's fate each season he's still around..

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Good thing we didn't sign this guy --- he has gone 100% vegan.  Remember the cautionary tale of Houston RB Arian Foster who went vegan and immediately started having soft tissue injuries causing him to miss >50% of games for the remaining few yrs of his career.  My .02 says this will be McCoy's fate each season he's still around..

He'll have to chow down on immense amounts of soy protein to maintain muscle mass- and I don't know if that stuff has all the essential amino acid precursors. OK, I looked- 8 out of 9.  Pro football player and 100% vegan probably doesn't mix. Join PETA while you're at it.  

• 3 weeks later...

So, what you all are saying is that the Packers are going to released this  30 year old defensive lineman....DT I believe, Mike Daniels. He was a Pro Bowler 2 years ago.  And I assume that you bring this up because there may be some advocacy for the Browns to sign him.

OK,  I get that.  I have said all along that  our backup DTs may be a weakness on this team.    And while I don't know much about this guy...just saying "former Pro Bowler" about him tells me that at some point anyway he apparently far out produced the likes of Trevon Coley or Billy Price.

Ergo....what is the opinion?   Sign him as an upgrade/rotational piece at our DT position?  Given that I have said we need an upgrade there...then it may be a good move.

per espn's Adam Schefter...Mike Daniels will make the Browns his 1st visit.in today! Daniels was drafted by Dorsey's crew at GB & the grown butt man is a true monster 🤞 passed McCoy's pressure numbers last season..EdiT--the Cabot clincher;)-MKC tweets, But will meet w/numerous teams & won't make decision today 👌

46 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

most would get on board without having to register their e-mail to read this link....come on..Captain Clevis 🗿

not sure why the fuck that's happening for you, it's just a beacon journal link. I click on it, im not registered with them. Weird. Anyway, Mike Daniels? Y'all like that? He'd be a good 3 or 5 tech on our 34 packages.  6ft 290'ish...he can even sub in anywhere on the D line in our base defense. Could be a sneaky guy that puts up some fairly good numbers as offenses will be shellshocked mostly from keeping tabs on the track stars normally coming around the edge. Now all of a sudden you've got a low to the ground bull you have to deal with....could be a good change of pace rusher. 

• Upvote 1