THE BROWNS BOARD

So, WHO got the best linebacker in the draft? not so fast...

calfoxwc

Just maybe, the Browns got a gigantic STEAL - maybe? the best linebacker in the draft?

maybe, the best lb that fits the Browns lockerroom?

and...maybe the very best lb in the draft?

• Upvote 1

Wilson has the smarts, maturity, wants to WIN and go to the SUPERBOWL, has an outstanding attitude,

super competitive, super tough, fast, ....

flew under the radar behind a lot of lb talent at Alabama.

Maybe....the steal of the draft?

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/alabama-lb-mack-wilson-s-1st-press-conference-as-a-cleveland-brown

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/mack-wilson-waited-three-long-days-to-hear-his-name-called-by-browns.html

Browns scout Matt Donahoe said he wasn’t sure why Wilson fell so far, but he was happy it happened.

“We liked Mack as a football player,” he said, “and we were lucky enough to get him in the fifth round.”

Wilson didn’t start for the Crimson Tide until 2018. His production doesn’t jump off the page. He totaled 71 tackles in 2018, 4.5 for loss and one sack. One area where his production did stand out was in the passing game. He had six combined interceptions the last two seasons, four in 2017.

nice highlight video.   But he coulda' got a couple of personal foul penalties called if that was the NFL.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get a safety, corner and linebacker as quality starters out of this draft?   (...and kicker, since we drafted one)

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Gotta love Cal's patented fact blind full force support for things he likes

Here's hoping he ends up being great... But he's not the best LB in this draft.

sorry, didn't mean to offend your michigan love affair. The "best linebacker" is the one who ends up being the

best in the NFL. We don't know. I SAID MAYBE. Sure, White and your michigan heartthrob have more stats in college.

But it's how they translate into the NFL.

As a value pick - the Browns may have found the biggest steal of the draft. We'll see.

But thanks for showing up with your typical woody bitch/personal insult post with nothing to back up your contentions.

Where are the "facts" in YOUR post?

13 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Well those are 2 different questions.   Is he the best linebacker in the draft? Or will he be the best linebacker playing in the NFL? He may not be the former because of his draft status but he could prove to be the latter. 

well, the best linebacker to draft, is the one who is going to be the best in the NFL.

We all know Devin White and Woody's michigan heartthrob were far more highly regarded

out of the college ranks -

Here is Lance Zierlein (nfl analyst) apprisal of Bush:

Overview

"Undersized three-down linebacker with the speed and cover talent to make an easy transition to WILL linebacker as a pro. There will be NFL defenses who pass on Bush due to his lack of size, but his ability to play fast and free as an outside linebacker should supersede those concerns. He will miss some tackles and get engulfed by blockers at other times, but his play strength and ability to run and cover are extremely valuable in today's game and should not be diminished due to a tape measurement. "

Here is LanceZierlein's appraisal of Wilson:

NFL Comparison C.J. Mosley

Overview

He is today's version of an NFL linebacker with adequate size, plus strength and toughness, speed pursue and an ability to handle coverage duties on any down. Wilson is like a classically trained musician who hits his notes on time, but the question is whether or not he can play as a free-form, improvisational talent when the opportunity arises. Either way, he's a solid, three-down starter in any defensive scheme.

btw, Wilson also played H-back at times.

Here is Lance Zierlein's appraisal of Devin White:

NFL Comparison
Myles Jack

Overview

"Running back convert out of high school who continues to show rapid development as a high-impact linebacker in a physical conference. White is still learning to take on blocks and play with better control/efficiency, but he's a willing pupil and coaching should improve both areas. White's work ethic, competitiveness, and rare play speed are elements that can't be taught and should push him into an early starter's role and a successful NFL career."

going by Zierlein's opinions - being compared to C. J. Mosley is pretty frickin good, says I.

If all three have great careers - seems to me that the Browns got a diamond in the rough -

lower in the draft. If that holds true - the Browns research will have resulted in

some brilliant cost-effectiveness in their draft process.

Who knows - will see what transpires the next few years.

Kid's athletic as hell, but as a position convert was too inexperienced to standout in a Saban-BAMA D, which is very much of an assignment driven D like that of Mike Pettine, i.e., get to your assignment then react. Too often this can end up being "think about what you are assigned to do, then think what is the right thing to do from there."

Plop a kid with this background into a "ready-fire-aim" system like Gregg Williams ran and I'd expect him to struggle early, but improve rapidly as he comes to understand that under Williams the only bad decision is making no decision.

Don't know Wilks that well, but I think his approach lies between the two and far enough from Williams' that it will hinder Wilson's development into a 3-down guy. However, in the mean time he can be a heck of a 3rd down LB... has great Pass D skills.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Kid's athletic as hell, but as a position convert was too inexperienced to standout in a Saban-BAMA D, which is very much of an assignment driven D like that of Mike Pettine, i.e., get to your assignment then react. Too often this can end up being "think about what you are assigned to do, then think what is the right thing to do from there."

Plop a kid with this background into a "ready-fire-aim" system like Gregg Williams ran and I'd expect him to struggle early, but improve rapidly as he comes to understand that under Williams the only bad decision is making no decision.

Don't know Wilks that well, but I think his approach lies between the two and far enough from Williams' that it will hinder Wilson's development into a 3-down guy. However, in the mean time he can be a heck of a 3rd down LB... has great Pass D skills.

In the mean time....we may have Takitaki to carry that weight.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:14 PM, MLD Woody said:

His production fell off the map in college. He was once touted as a first rounder and then he wasn't. The guy fell for a reason. Solid value where he was drafted tho.

9 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

His production fell off the map in college. He was once touted as a first rounder and then he wasn't. The guy fell for a reason. Solid value where he was drafted tho.

Bush's production fell off in college as well.....when Ohio State put 62 points on the board against him, and Rashan Gary...and that whole Michifuck defense. 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Bush's production fell off in college as well.....when Ohio State put 62 points on the board against him, and Rashan Gary...and that whole Michifuck defense. 

oh, woody just got a feather jammed in his throat over that fact. LOL LOL LOL

On 5/1/2019 at 12:09 PM, The Gipper said:

Gary is going to be a bust.

The Steelers almost never trade up and they moved up ten spots to draft bush. The only two other times they have ever moved up was for Polamalu and Holmes. 

20 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Gary is going to be a bust.

The Steelers almost never trade up and they moved up ten spots to draft bush. The only two other times they have ever moved up was for Polamalu and Holmes. 

Ernie Holmes.   part of the steel curtain?

12 hours ago, Gorka said:

The take away from Bush is that he's supposedly undersized, but the stealers have a special way of bulking up players rather quickly.

Shazier was "undersized" too

Calling bush undersized is ignoring the shift in nfl defenses to 1. Run more nickel and sub packages. 2. Place a premium on speed. 

It's a antiquated view point unless you are asking the guy to put his hand on the ground.

48 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Shazier was "undersized" too

Calling bush undersized is ignoring the shift in nfl defenses to 1. Run more nickel and sub packages. 2. Place a premium on speed. 

It's a antiquated view point unless you are asking the guy to put his hand on the ground.

You really are obtuse aren’t you? he was referring to the Steelers propensity to use roids

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You really are obtuse aren’t you? he was referring to the Steelers propensity to use roids

I'm fucking aware and it's stupid so I refuted the undersized claim. 

40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do you know who Ernie Holmes is

What do you think? Dip shit. I said the steelers have only traded up three times in the colbert era. I wasn't alive when holmes was drafted. You were tho, how old were you then 45? It would explain your dementia.

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

You were tho, how old were you then 45? It would explain your dementia.

Ah, the last defense of the desperate-name calling. You belong on the poly board. cal could lead you over there.😜

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Vagitron said:

What do you think? Dip shit. I said the steelers have only traded up three times in the colbert era. I wasn't alive when holmes was drafted. You were tho, how old were you then 45? It would explain your dementia.

I don’t think you were aware either of who Ernie homes was nor of the fact that he was referencing steroid you’re just now as someone said tap dancing on your own ignorance and lying  about it. You didn’t mention the Colbert area until after I asked you about Ernie Holmes