THE BROWNS BOARD

Austin Siebert ... Browns grab a kicker

Zombo

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The Johnny Manziel of Punters?

50.98 yds per punt is well past even Ray Guy for whom the award was named that Mann received for  2018. Many of those were under the pressure of hard fought games. Flips the field and 31 punts inside the 20 (13 inside the 10). He is excellent at directional punting, not just always looking for the longest punt. That makes the 50.98 average even more impressive.

Think of him as the Garrett of punters instead.🤗🤩😜

Here ya go gip. Under pressure from Clemson behind 14 - 3 two different punts, first from the endzone. This is what you call flipping the field under pressure. And notice how quickly he gets it out from snap to punt. No messing around or 3 stepping.

49 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here ya go gip. Under pressure from Clemson behind 14 - 3 two different punts, first from the endzone. This is what you call flipping the field under pressure. And notice how quickly he gets it out from snap to punt. No messing around or 3 stepping.

You mistake me for someone who cares.    About a punter?   A year away?  A UDFA guy? 

Right.

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You mistake me for someone who cares.    About a punter?   A year away?  A UDFA guy? 

Right.

The greatest punter in College football history will not be UDFA. Take that to the bank. I was only joking about the 5th round. If he continues how he has punted up to this point, he goes in the 4th and maybe even 3rd for a desperate team. His average was more than 5 yards further than the first punter taken as the 8th player taken in the 4th round (49ers) or the other one taken in the 5th round (NE) with 10 more players to go that round. Smart teams take those guys earlier than you might think. When STs are a third of the game, the best teams spend draft choices on them, not hope they are there as UDFA.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"And with the LAST PICK of the 5th round of the 2020 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns take............NCAA Record holder Braden Mann.....Punter.............Texas A&M!"🤗🏈🤩

Supposedly, we're  signing  that Scottish Hammer guy as a UFA Ag. :)

IIRC Ray Guy was another Al  Davis  first  round pick. If that kid is out kicking him in college,  that's  impressive.  But a team that already  has a decent punter isn't  going to spend a day two  pick on him.

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Supposedly, we're  signing  that Scottish Hammer guy as a UFA Ag. :)

I don't think he will beat out our current punter, but Mann would if we selected him. I thought he should have just come on out this year, but he wanted to stay to help the team get better. Had he come out he  would have been the first drafted for sure. Those punts against Clemson were more the norm than not when you add in all the OOBs directional punts when they were closer to the other team's goalline. I can't tell you how many times I watched him flip the field. It's uncanny. And I would  have tried to get Rice's punter Jack Fox as UDFA, but he went to K.C. I think he makes the team and is better than the two drafted. Same average but at sea level, not UTAH's 4300 ft.

24 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The greatest punter in College football history will not be UDFA. Take that to the bank. I was only joking about the 5th round. If he continues how he has punted up to this point, he goes in the 4th and maybe even 3rd for a desperate team. His average was more than 5 yards further than the first punter taken as the 8th player taken in the 4th round (49ers) or the other one taken in the 5th round (NE) with 10 more players to go that round. Smart teams take those guys earlier than you might think. When STs are a third of the game, the best teams spend draft choices on them, not hope they are there as UDFA.

0N7AjD2.gif

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! If we take him that tune will change the first time he pins the Squealers inside the 5 on a 65 yd punt.😍

Then call us when that happens.  Then maybe I will care.....but also say that we would have been better drafting a backup long snapper.

Or maybe you got one of those coming out of the a+m arse that you want to tout.

Then call us when that happens.  Then maybe I will care.....but also say that we would have been better drafting a backup long snapper.

HAH ! they got a UDFA !

LS Nick Reinhardt

Arizona

https://arizonawildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9348

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Nope

On 4/30/2019 at 1:28 PM, Orion said:

Well, in THIS country, you guys are entitled to your wrong opinions.   :)

Oh yeah, 'Murica. Please, enlighten me with that unique concept called freedom that we, the rest of the world, don't know about.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Oh yeah, 'Murica. Please, enlighten me with that unique concept called freedom that we, the rest of the world, don't know about.

You know about it now that we showed you the way.  (The USA IS the oldest democratic nation in the world)

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You know about it now that we showed you the way.  (The USA IS the oldest democratic nation in the world)

Wrong. Democracy is a Greek term and even though the US could HAVE the oldest democratic system, British parlamentary monarchy had bigger influence around the world most likely, and surely in Spain.

55 minutes ago, Nero said:

Wrong. Democracy is a Greek term and even though the US could HAVE the oldest democratic system, British parlamentary monarchy had bigger influence around the world most likely, and surely in Spain.

Right....the USA is THE longest existing continuously operating democratic system in the world. (If not then it would probably be some tiny, isolated country...like Iceland)  And though it had a Parliament, Britain was still primarily dominated by it monarchical system well after the American Revolution. 

As for Spain, it was still under fascist dictatorial rule at least until the mid 1970s.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I think it is appropriate that Josh Gordon was traded for a kicker. I hope he scores 2000 points and becomes a Browns legend.

Z

YEP. His legacy hit a positive note. LOL

Right....the USA is THE longest existing continuously operating democratic system in the world. (If not then it would probably be some tiny, isolated country...like Iceland)  And though it had a Parliament, Britain was still primarily dominated by it monarchical system well after the American Revolution. 

As for Spain, it was still under fascist dictatorial rule at least until the mid 1970s.

Spain had democratic periods before... Don't start me on History...

On 4/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, Mr. Make-Believe said:

I know people will bitch about drafting a kicker, but I like this play. 

You don't need an awesome kicker to win in this league, but having a shitty one can absolutely kill you. I hate the automatic three being a situation where we hold our breath and shit our pants. 

Look at all the games in the NFL just last season where the game was decided by one team having a lousy kicker. 

I hope he becomes a staple here.

Tampa Bay says hello 😜

On 4/28/2019 at 2:15 AM, hoorta said:

Sure, I can see taking a shot on the kid.   

With kickers, you're never 99% sure with them coming out of college.  Even the ones that "can't miss" miss. Martin "Automatica" Grammatica in the third round immediately comes to mind. Roberto Aguayo too.  You can debate if Al Davis was nuts, but Sebastian Janikowski at least was decent, though you can question if any kicker is worth a first round pick.   

You can question it, but he will be a HOF member some day.  People questioned when he drafted Ray Guy in the first round as well.  Ray is in the HOF and has punting awards named after him.

11 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

You can question it, but he will be a HOF member some day.  People questioned when he drafted Ray Guy in the first round as well.  Ray is in the HOF and has punting awards named after him.

So the Browns take the Aggie punter @#1 next year? 🤗😜 He's now the NCAA GOAT @  50.98 ypp.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So the Browns take the Aggie punter @#1 next year? 🤗😜 He's now the NCAA GOAT @  50.98 ypp.

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You are approaching PoG level of obsession.

Gipper, let's say I'm interested.  If we can get the GOAT punter (and I'm going to assume the Browns make the playoffs this year) with a low second round pick- I'd be for it.  

But on the pro level there is this thing called out kicking the coverage....  

Ah, maybe it doesn't make that  much difference....  Arizona led the league in average punting distance last year, and wound up with the #1 overall pick in the draft.....  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting

26 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Gipper, let's say I'm interested.  If we can get the GOAT punter (and I'm going to assume the Browns make the playoffs this year) with a low second round pick- I'd be for it.  

Ah, maybe it doesn't make that  much difference....  Arizona led the league in average punting distance last year, and wound up with the #1 overall pick in the draft.....  

Lets say that I would be interested if and when the Browns were to draft him.....but here, a year ahead of time....I ain't spending my time contemplating a freeking punter.

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

If a kicker can out kick the coverage in the pro's, he can do it even more in college.  At least I would think that to be the case.

It doesn't matter.  We have the Scottish Hammer.  He is going to be our punter for 15 years.

If he burst a ball in a game and this leather carcass fell to the ground 8 yards away, would that count as the punt? 

• Haha 1

He also outkicked the kick returner on both those punts and the reason why I also added his stats on directional kicks inside the 20 and the 10 was to show he is not just a guy who outkicks the coverage, but can place it where he wants to as well. I can't tell you how many times I saw him put the kind of English on the ball that it hit inside the 5 and bounced back away from the goalline to be downed instead of a touchback.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:32 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The only way you draft a kicker or punter is if you’re 99% sure they’re the real deal 

You know, I'll be interested to see if this trend will change in the future. This article by fivethirtyeight makes a strong argument NOT to draft: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/memo-to-nfl-gms-stop-drafting-kickers/ kicker anyway, but that's using a lot of empirical data. I think that's going to move towards drafting guys.