THE BROWNS BOARD

Austin Siebert ... Browns grab a kicker

Zombo

I know people will bitch about drafting a kicker, but I like this play. 

You don't need an awesome kicker to win in this league, but having a shitty one can absolutely kill you. I hate the automatic three being a situation where we hold our breath and shit our pants. 

Look at all the games in the NFL just last season where the game was decided by one team having a lousy kicker. 

I hope he becomes a staple here.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

I know people will bitch about drafting a kicker, but I like this play. 

You don't need an awesome kicker to win in this league, but having a shitty one can absolutely kill you. I hate the automatic three being a situation where we hold our breath and shit our pants. 

Look at all the games in the NFL just last season where the game was decided by one team having a lousy kicker. 

I hope he becomes a staple here.

Late round picks are long shots to make the roster anyways so why not roll the dice on a kicker? It was obviously our blessing/curse last year. Cost us games but got huge fired

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I hit a deer in a truck once.  Does not qualify me as a good hunter.  Just saying.

Yeah I watched a HS kicker kick a FG so far out of the back of the endzone it disappeared beyond the lights into the shadows. Told my wife I had never seen a kicker do that on that level ever in my life. 

Oh yeah....................................almost forgot😁..........................Mason Crosby has now been kicking for Green Bay since 2007 after making 1st team AA with the Colorado Buffaloes. 🤩

PS-I keep him and Justin Tucker on my FF team every year. They win me a bunch of money.🤑

He is the NCAA career scoring leader among kickers. Granted he played in a high power offense with two heisman winning QBs the last two years but you still have to make the kicks and he did. Has a strong leg. He made 98% of his pats 80% on field goals and that includes a sophomore slump year only connecting on 68% that year. He also handled punting duties for Oklahoma with a career average of 41.7 yards per punt. So he pulled double duties. Once he focuses solely on field goals I would venture he will get even more accurate.  I bet he is our starter. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

He is the NCAA career scoring leader among kickers. Granted he played in a high power offense with two heisman winning QBs the last two years but you still have to make the kicks and he did. Has a strong leg. He made 98% of his pats 80% on field goals and that includes a sophomore slump year only connecting on 68% that year. He also handled punting duties for Oklahoma with a career average of 41.7 yards per punt. So he pulled double duties. Once he focuses solely on field goals I would venture he will get even more accurate.  I bet he is our starter. 

I hope so because Greg Joseph does nothing for me...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Late round picks are long shots to make the roster anyways so why not roll the dice on a kicker? It was obviously our blessing/curse last year. Cost us games but got huge fired

Sure, I can see taking a shot on the kid.   

8 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The only way you draft a kicker or punter is if you’re 99% sure they’re the real deal 

With kickers, you're never 99% sure with them coming out of college.  Even the ones that "can't miss" miss. Martin "Automatica" Grammatica in the third round immediately comes to mind. Roberto Aguayo too.  You can debate if Al Davis was nuts, but Sebastian Janikowski at least was decent, though you can question if any kicker is worth a first round pick.   

This year, I look forward to NOT going into a cold sweat each time our PK enters the game. Whether that PK is a consistent Joseph, Siebert, or ?? doesn't matter. I just want to be able to feel confident in our kicking game. Competition is good.

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

This year, I look forward to NOT going into a cold sweat each time our PK enters the game. Whether that PK is a consistent Joseph, Siebert, or ?? doesn't matter. I just want to be able to feel confident in our kicking game. Competition is good.

Mike

For me.. Seibert gets the job... He's got a much better leg than Joseph.. I'll take my chances...

47 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

You can question if any kicker is worth a pick before the 7th round.

Nah, occasionally the Groza award winners get drafted earlier than the 7th. It's not a coincidence. You also see the best ones get a franchise tag now and then. Means teams think the top ones aren't easily replaceable with guys off the street.   

I'm certain that we ALL had roughly the same thoughts when we found out that we drafted a kicker in round 5.

1)  Why?    (couldn't we get one in post-draft FA.....or in round 7)

2)  He must Some Kinda' Special talent.

Dustin Fox hates that we drafted a kicker.   And I'm not about to argue with him.  It seemed odd to me.  And I know that we've suffered with the kicking for years now.  

Let's face it.  Joseph may be under contract...but he's toast.  There won't be any kicking competition.  The guy was not drafted to PUSH Joseph.  There is only ONE roster spot for kicker.  You spend a draft pick on a kicker is because you don't like the one you have (had).   This guy would have to whiff on the ball totally in order not to make the team.  (well, he'd have to be pretty lousy.....you know what I mean)

Seibert Is gonna  be our kicker.  I like the fact that he can punt.  We've had a kicker that could punt and it proves to be a handy thing.....in case the punter gets dinged.   

I'm assuming that Dorsey sees this guy as the next Stanakowski (sp?  -  the Raiders kick who just retired...who could kick the ball a mile...and looks like an overweight Friday night card playing buddy).  Although Dustin Fox said the CBS had him rated as the 400th ranked prospect....and not even the highest rated kicker.

In Dorsey I trust.....but.....a kicker in round 5 John?   Nobody available matched a need better?

20 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm certain that we ALL had roughly the same thoughts when we found out that we drafted a kicker in round 5.

1)  Why?    (couldn't we get one in post-draft FA.....or in round 7)

2)  He must Some Kinda' Special talent.

Dustin Fox hates that we drafted a kicker.   And I'm not about to argue with him.  It seemed odd to me.  And I know that we've suffered with the kicking for years now.  

Let's face it.  Joseph may be under contract...but he's toast.  There won't be any kicking competition.  The guy was not drafted to PUSH Joseph.  There is only ONE roster spot for kicker.  You spend a draft pick on a kicker is because you don't like the one you have (had).   This guy would have to whiff on the ball totally in order not to make the team.  (well, he'd have to be pretty lousy.....you know what I mean)

Seibert Is gonna  be our kicker.  I like the fact that he can punt.  We've had a kicker that could punt and it proves to be a handy thing.....in case the punter gets dinged.   

I'm assuming that Dorsey sees this guy as the next Stanakowski (sp?  -  the Raiders kick who just retired...who could kick the ball a mile...and looks like an overweight Friday night card playing buddy).  Although Dustin Fox said the CBS had him rated as the 400th ranked prospect....and not even the highest rated kicker.

In Dorsey I trust.....but.....a kicker in round 5 John?   Nobody available matched a need better?

I thought we hit our needs pretty well. We had plenty of picks and not so many roster spots available, so it was the perfect year to burn a pick on a kicker. It;s just a 5th round pick. Get the guy you want.

Zombo

...I shoulda' put it here.....but out of sight, out of mind.  :)

I thought we hit our needs pretty well. We had plenty of picks and not so many roster spots available, so it was the perfect year to burn a pick on a kicker. It;s just a 5th round pick. Get the guy you want.

So we had no need for an offensive tackle.  Or another safety.  Or a TE.  Or any other position.  

I think we could've gotten him in round 6 or 7.....if we wanted to make sure that he wouldn't sign somewhere in FA.  One thing we pretty much know, he's our kicker now.

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

You're pretty much looking for special teamers in the 5th round. So why not a kicker? They'll win you more games than a 3rd string TE.

Z

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

Exactly. 

5 hours ago, Orion said:

When you get to the 5th round- those are about throw away picks if you're following the draft value chart. 

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

You're pretty much looking for special teamers in the 5th round. So why not a kicker? They'll win you more games than a 3rd string TE.

Z

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

When you get to the 5th round- those are about throw away picks if you're following the draft value chart. 

Well, in THIS country, you guys are entitled to your wrong opinions.   :)

TB took the 1st kicker off the board at 5.7.Last name Gay ..I did the same in the 5th rd in our mock draft for the Bears..Dorsey listening to his scouts, grabbed his kicker at 5.32..I got no further issues with it, till the 🏈 goes on the tee..

11 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

"And with the LAST PICK of the 5th round of the 2020 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns take............NCAA Record holder Braden Mann.....Punter.............Texas A&M!"🤗🏈🤩