THE BROWNS BOARD

Mack The Knife

Zombo

I found this piece of an article really interesting:

According to Alex Byington of the Montgomery Advertiser, Saban made several last-ditch efforts to get Wilson to return for his senior season at Alabama. The Crimson Tide coach even reached out to Wilson’s mother and godfather, Todd Dowell, for assistance in keeping the linebacker in school.

For Saban, it came down to one thing, Wilson needing more time and experience to become ready for life in the NFL. In response to that issue, Dowell asked Saban a question the coach must not have been prepared to answer.

“You’ve had him three years. What are you going to do in a year that you haven’t done in three?” Dowell asked Saban. “He couldn’t answer.”

******************************************************************************************************************************************

My guess is if the kid sucked - Saban doesn't beg like that.  No need to.  He only goes to that length if he has high expectations for Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

If we didn't move up for White or Bush, I really wanted either Pratt from NCSt or Mack Wilson from Bama. I was extremely disappointed when we did not take him in the 3rd after Pratt was taken ahead of us. I jumped through the roof when we got him unexpectedly in the 5th. This pick makes me as happy as getting Greedy to compliment Ward. Now we can have a damn great defense.

Was watching NFLN earlier. They asked the "experts" pick one player from each round you think was best. Second round Williams, Fifth round Mack.   Did Dorsey kill another draft? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Was watching NFLN earlier. They asked the "experts" pick one player from each round you think was best. Second round Williams, Fifth round Mack.   Did Dorsey kill another draft? 

Both value picks that slid out of where they should have been taken. Last year Callaway was our very best value pick. Are they risky? Sure. But the upside is tremendous when they come in with something to prove. Dorsey is excellent as a guy who understands what a "football guy" is and how they function in the locker room. They want to not only be the best, but expect the same out of everyone around them. Get a team full of these guys and they will run through walls to produce a winner. That is what Dorsey is great at finding through the interview process.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Both value picks that slid out of where they should have been taken. Last year Callaway was our very best value pick. Are they risky? Sure. But the upside is tremendous when they come in with something to prove. Dorsey is excellent as a guy who understands what a "football guy" is and how they function in the locker room. They want to not only be the best, but expect the same out of everyone around them. Get a team full of these guys and they will run through walls to produce a winner. That is what Dorsey is great at finding through the interview process.

Sounds like the exact opposite of “analytics”

9 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Just remember that word starts with anal, which is where a lot of it belongs when you are looking for a football player. People like Bobby Layne or Sammy Baugh don't compute, they just produce wins because "lose" is not in their personal vocabularies. That's also what distinguished Baker Mayfield from all the "analytic" QB picks. That old saying is perfect, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog". I think Dorsey looks for the football fight in the dogs he takes. Being picked below where you should be adds to the fight in the dog and Dorsey gets it. That's an old Mark Twain quote BTW.

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Guess you missed the dozen or so articles leading up to the Draft on how heavily Dorsey relies on analytics.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Guess you missed the dozen or so articles leading up to the Draft on how heavily Dorsey relies on analytics.

That is a bit besides the point. Analytics is a strong tool - but to ignore the point about football iq, instincts, love for the game, team oriented, desire to win...etc etc - is a serious mistake to make. Building a great locker=room of guys who want to win doesn't have anything? to do with analytics, jmho.

Analytics

Description

Analytics is the discovery, interpretation, and communication of meaningful patterns in data; and the process of applying those patterns towards effective decision making. In other words, analytics can be understood as the connective tissue between data and effective decision making, within an organization.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

But probably a lot less than Sashi & Company Tour. Coleman had to be a damn near 100% analytics pick. I'd bet Dorsey would never have drafted him. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Baker Mayfield in many ways was the ultimate analytics pick. 

The production, the ridiculous amount of college starts, etc.... 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

But probably a lot less than Sashi & Company Tour. Coleman had to be a damn near 100% analytics pick. I'd bet Dorsey would never have drafted him. 

His criminal background was pretty nonexistent, so you are probably correct. 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baker Mayfield in many ways was the ultimate analytics pick. 

The production, the ridiculous amount of college starts, etc.... 

But he wasn't 6'2".  :) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

If you have two players with the same numbers or very similar numbers..... how do you choose one?  Dice?

You take the football player. I thought Dorsey explained it very well. That is the mentality he looks for foremost above the numbers. So now we have a ton of "players" on this team with massive chips on their shoulders to prove they can make a winner out of a perpetual loser. I can remember playing center field one year in little league when the coach put his son in right field and replaced me with another bench player so everyone got a chance to play. I was spittin' mad. I told him we knew that someone had to cover right and center when his son was in and that I could do it better than the slow guy who wouldn't shade over to R-C gap to cover for him. I got in a lot of trouble for that one, but it caused us to lose the damn game just as I told him it would. We need players like that who hate losing even more than they love winning and will do whatever it takes to bring in the W.

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, Vagitron said:

You boys drafted takitaki ahead of Mack.  Mack's college production fell off the map as his college career went on, it's why he fell as far as he did. 

Production improved in 2018, which is WHY he started and stayed on the field.  A lot of other LBs that don't think they can start for a team that frequents National Championships choose to play at schools like Michigan.  What part of Nick Saban's panic attacks about the kid entering the draft didn't you understand? 

If you look at passes defensed in 2018, Mack had 7 while both of the Devins had 6.  Do you know what beats speed?  Instincts. And they aren't measuring it at the combines or the workouts. Ray Lewis wasn't discovered with a stop watch. Shazier was though.  The problem with that is film showed he tackled way too frequently with the crown of his helmet.  Now, before you James Harrison me - Shazier doesn't have the neck circumference of an oak tree to survive the Harrison style of play; so he didn't.   Over the years (inclusive of Ohio State), Shazier missed a lot of tackles with the head down not seeing what he was supposed to be tackling. I heard he was a great kid though...  

Here's some more highlights of mack:

We really need to get away from the habit of posting highlights and start posting games.    Collectively.             It simply does nobody any favors when trying to raise the overall quality of the football talk on this board. 

edit:  to be clear, I'm not singling you out Flugs. 

• Upvote 4

no, we don't. You post your games, but I like to see the great plays a player is CAPABLE of. Of course, I'm not a scout,

or I would watch games. But watching a whole bunch of plays in a game where the offense doesn't throw to the star cb's side, for example, doesn't impress me much.

That just shows how teams don't throw to his side. That doesn't tell me much at all.

37 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

That just shows how teams don't throw to his side. That doesn't tell me much at all.

It should...

12 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

If you have two players with the same numbers or very similar numbers..... how do you choose one?  Dice?

Game Tape...

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

We really need to get away from the habit of posting highlights and start posting games.    Collectively.             It simply does nobody any favors when trying to raise the overall quality of the football talk on this board. 

edit:  to be clear, I'm not singling you out Flugs. 

Aw, are we talking about a certain poster that fixates on a player? with highlights every other day? And players that are as washed up as a whale that's been found on the beach a couple weeks ago?  LOL, as I pointed out- and it's the damn truth- I'm betting on my cat to post a faster 10 yard split than Saquon.  :D  It really is true, a cat if properly motivated can beat Usain Bolt out of the blocks. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Aw, are we talking about a certain poster that fixates on a player? with highlights every other day? And players that are as washed up as a whale that's been found on the beach a couple weeks ago?  LOL, as I pointed out- and it's the damn truth- I'm betting on my cat to post a faster 10 yard split than Saquon.  :D  It really is true, a cat if properly motivated can beat Usain Bolt out of the blocks. 

Speaking of washed up, Hallmark fired Cupid when they found an unparalleled love someone had for Barkley on this board.   Rumor has it Cupid was last spotted trying to talk Tom Coughlin into Leonard Fournette's long term future in Jax.   Unfortunately, Coughlin already got the Love Po.  

Stay tuned for what a GREAT kid Kareem Hunt is...  Good thing too; because we haven't had a Mother Teresa on the roster since Josh Gordon left us for a cup of coffee in New England....

Edited by Flugel

26 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Speaking of washed up, Hallmark fired Cupid when they found an unparalleled love someone had for Barkley on this board.   Rumor has it Cupid was last spotted trying to talk Tom Coughlin into Leonard Fournette's long term future in Jax.   Unfortunately, Coughlin already got the Love Po.  

yall-got-any-5ab077.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Please- don't encourage you know who.  I'm sure there's plenty of stuff from last year with the Giants.  :)  

Yep, talking too much about it will either send us all to the Po' house or the Gove'ment House.🤗

On 5/4/2019 at 6:31 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

You take the football player. I thought Dorsey explained it very well. That is the mentality he looks for foremost above the numbers. So now we have a ton of "players" on this team with massive chips on their shoulders to prove they can make a winner out of a perpetual loser. I can remember playing center field one year in little league when the coach put his son in right field and replaced me with another bench player so everyone got a chance to play. I was spittin' mad. I told him we knew that someone had to cover right and center when his son was in and that I could do it better than the slow guy who wouldn't shade over to R-C gap to cover for him. I got in a lot of trouble for that one, but it caused us to lose the damn game just as I told him it would. We need players like that who hate losing even more than they love winning and will do whatever it takes to bring in the W.

But, but, but , that’s not analytics

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

But, but, but , that’s not analytics

LOL! In my day they used to call it "heart"! If you didn't have it, I sure didn't want you on my team. The more I look at Takitaki, the more I see what Dorsey sees and now I understand the pick.

• Upvote 1