THE BROWNS BOARD

Mack The Knife

Zombo

Good pick up.  Our offense was loaded coming in and Dorsey has beefed up the defense and special teams really well in rounds 2-5. Absolutely love Greedy Williams. Takitaki Redwine and Wilson are all great depth and special teams pickups with potential to be starters. Austin siebert will definitely push for the kicker job. I believe he is the all time point leader in NCAA history. 

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Good pick up.  Our offense was loaded coming and Dorsey has beefed up the defense and special teams really well in rounds 2-5. Absolutely love Greedy Williams. Takitaki Redwine and Wilson are all great depth and special teams pickups with potential to be starters. Austin siebert will definitely push for the kicker job. I believe he is the all time point leader in NCAA history. 

training camp should be fun this year I kinda expect greedy to make it on the first team

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama

Seems like the heady, sure-tackler type as opposed to the playmaker type.

And the special teams coach is thrilled today!

Z

Lindy's Draft Guide has him as the #3 rated ILB as a true junior in 2018 with a 2nd round projection. Here's a video I found:

I still fondly remember when Greg Loyd tried to spear Kevin Mack.  More specifically, Loyd took a field trip to Mars and woke up to smelling salts thinking he was in Pluto. The poor knuckleheads that had to carry his asss off the field had to say "Welcome to Cleveland!"

In honor of the warm fuzzies, here's a song for the new badasss in town named Mack:

Edited by Flugel
typo

15 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Lindy's Draft Guide has him as the #3 rated ILB as a true junior in 2018 with a 2nd round projection. Here's a video I found:

I still fondly remember when Greg Loyd tried to sphere Kevin Mack.  More specifically, Loyd took a field trip to Mars and woke up to smelling salts thinking he was in Pluto. The poor knuckleheads that had to carry his asss off the field had to say "Welcome to Cleveland!"

In honor of the warm fuzzies, here's a song for the new badasss in town named Mack:

Return of the mack is a gem

If we didn't move up for White or Bush, I really wanted either Pratt from NCSt or Mack Wilson from Bama. I was extremely disappointed when we did not take him in the 3rd after Pratt was taken ahead of us. I jumped through the roof when we got him unexpectedly in the 5th. This pick makes me as happy as getting Greedy to compliment Ward. Now we can have a damn great defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

We'll see how it goes, but I've waited a LOT of years for a Browns' LB that hits like Mack. Gonna be fun to watch.

Mike

Yep-he needs a theme song to sing when he stands over the hittees, "Shake, rattle an' roll".🤕🤩

From another article on Mack by Dan Labbe:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wherever Wilson ends up playing, it will be with the goal of proving everyone who made him wait wrong.

“I just want to show that, in this draft, I was the best linebacker,” he said. “There were 31 teams that slipped up on me, and somebody is going to have to feel all the pain that I had built up these past few days.”

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If we didn't move up for White or Bush, I really wanted either Pratt from NCSt or Mack Wilson from Bama. I was extremely disappointed when we did not take him in the 3rd after Pratt was taken ahead of us. I jumped through the roof when we got him unexpectedly in the 5th. This pick makes me as happy as getting Greedy to compliment Ward. Now we can have a damn great defense.

Aside from the hits, do you know what really jumped out at me in the video?  

He's got a collage of INTs telling me he's pretty freakin good in coverage.  He may not have the foot speed of Bush or White; but if he has elite 1st step instinct he can be just as effective/better in zone coverage. For example, PFW indicates White and Bush both had 6 passes defensed in 2018 while Mack Wilson had 7. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Flugel said:

I still fondly remember when Greg Loyd tried to spear Kevin Mack.  More specifically, Loyd took a field trip to Mars and woke up to smelling salts thinking he was in Pluto. The poor knuckleheads that had to carry his asss off the field had to say "Welcome to Cleveland!"

Nah, man.  You need the full song with the piano intro...  like dis.    God damn do I miss 90's R&B

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Aside from the hits, do you know what really jumped out at me in the video?  

He's got a collage of INTs telling me he's pretty freakin good in coverage.  He may not have the foot speed of Bush or White; but if he has elite 1st step instinct he can be just as effective/better in zone coverage. For example, PFW indicates White and Bush both had 6 passes defensed in 2018 while Mack Wilson had 7. 

Who the hell knows...he could turn out to be better than those other two.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:14 PM, Flugel said:

I still fondly remember when Greg Loyd tried to spear Kevin Mack. 

WAIT. What the.... at 1:10 - Mack Wilson caught a pass for a TD ? LOL I didn't catch that the first time. LOL

1st Play Mack Wilson defeating the block and stonewalling our man, Nick Chubb year before last. Mack is gonna be just what we are looking for to help this improved DL defeat the run. His coverage skills are just as good.  This is gonna be a fun year for the Browns if Takitaki is anywhere near as good as Mack.

41 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

1st Play Mack Wilson defeating the block and stonewalling our man, Nick Chubb year before last. Mack is gonna be just what we are looking for to help this improved DL defeat the run. His coverage skills are just as good.  This is gonna be a fun year for the Browns if Takitaki is anywhere near as good as Mack.

You boys drafted takitaki ahead of Mack.  Mack's college production fell off the map as his college career went on, it's why he fell as far as he did. 

5 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You boys drafted takitaki ahead of Mack.  Mack's college production fell off the map as his college career went on, it's why he fell as far as he did. tenor.gif

keep dancing, . not going to do you any good around here.

8 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You boys drafted takitaki ahead of Mack.  Mack's college production fell off the map as his college career went on, it's why he fell as far as he did. 

The talent is there. The Browns will bring it to fruition. He is my bet for biggest surprise of the draft from where he was picked to how he turns out.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

keep dancing, . not going to do you any good around here.

Im not dancing around anything.  Mack Wilson fell off big time in college.  He went from being talked as a sure fire first rounder to falling to the 5th round because of his lack of impact on the field.  He at the very least will be really good on special teams but i wouldn't count on him shaping the defense.  He fell for a reason. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Im not dancing around anything.  Mack Wilson fell off big time in college.  He went from being talked as a sure fire first rounder to falling to the 5th round because of his lack of impact on the field.  He at the very least will be really good on special teams but i wouldn't count on him shaping the defense.  He fell for a reason. 

well, Bradshaw said once? that he was nearly booed out of pittspuke his first year. Players develop, learn, etc.

go figure. Obviously, Wilson is a bit rough around the edges - he only started one year. That isn't a character concern - who knows if he had been a three year starter at another big school, would he have been a first round pick? The general info is, he has the talent.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2822203-browns-draft-alabamas-mack-wilson-after-slide-over-reported-character-concerns

"There's no doubt that Wilson has talent. The question remains whether he'll be a plug-and-play option at the pro level or whether he'll need some developmental time to iron out the kinks in his game. The potential is there, but it's unclear when, or if, he'll reach it. 

He has the size and speed to thrive at the position, making him a sideline-to-sideline player in the NFL from his middle linebacker position. But consistency has been an issue, which could be chalked up to a limited lack of starting experience."

Wilson and Takitaki add talented depth to the defense - they don't have to start. If they develop and become starters - that's a pretty excellent value pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/CLE/cleveland-browns/depth-chart/

strongside Linebacker Genard Avery Adarius Taylor

Middle Linebacker Joe Schobert Mack Wilson

Weakside Linebacker Christian Kirksey Sione Takitaki

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Cam Heywards stats fell from his junior to senior year and had a couple question dline picks in front of him - notably our own Phil Taylor.     We know how that turned out. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Cam Heywards stats fell from his junior to senior year and had a couple question dline picks in front of him - notably our own Phil Taylor.     We know how that turned out.

So did Clowney's because he was not eligible to come out until after his junior year and he was trying to avoid injury. Garrett was hurt his entire last year, but did his best with one bad wheel.

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Prove it.....what statistics do you have to show that his production "fell off the map"  as his college career went on.   

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

We don't take anything you say on face value.  Again....prove it.  If you cannot bring evidence to the table, shut your cunthole.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

well, Bradshaw said once? that he was nearly booed out of pittspuke his first year. Players develop, learn, etc.

go figure. Obviously, Wilson is a bit rough around the edges - he only started one year. That isn't a character concern - who knows if he had been a three year starter at another big school, would he have been a first round pick? The general info is, he has the talent.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2822203-browns-draft-alabamas-mack-wilson-after-slide-over-reported-character-concerns

"There's no doubt that Wilson has talent. The question remains whether he'll be a plug-and-play option at the pro level or whether he'll need some developmental time to iron out the kinks in his game. The potential is there, but it's unclear when, or if, he'll reach it. 

He has the size and speed to thrive at the position, making him a sideline-to-sideline player in the NFL from his middle linebacker position. But consistency has been an issue, which could be chalked up to a limited lack of starting experience."

Wilson and Takitaki add talented depth to the defense - they don't have to start. If they develop and become starters - that's a pretty excellent value pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/CLE/cleveland-browns/depth-chart/

strongside Linebacker Genard Avery Adarius Taylor

Middle Linebacker Joe Schobert Mack Wilson

Weakside Linebacker Christian Kirksey Sione Takitaki

Well....this does not sound like his "production fell off the map"....it sounds like he only had one year of true playing time. So there was nothing to "fall off" from to begin with.  "Limited playing time"..."the potential is there"  "developmental time needed".    This just sounds like a guy that needs time and experience.  

And we did only use a 5th round pick on him.  And how many 5th round picks turn out to be top quality starters in the NFL?  If we only out of him some Special teams play...and some decent backup play at LB....then that will make him a good pick in the 5th round.

• Upvote 1