THE BROWNS BOARD

Sione Takitaki

Unsympathetic

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Make a bet right now Mack Wilson starts as our MLB over anyone else on this team by opening day. Bama does not start untalented players in important key positions on defense and they are NFL ready when they leave Saban coached teams. He will understand the defensive schemes from day one.

Trey depriest??? Started for two years never made an NFL squad. Adrian Hubbard starter for bama in 2012 leading them in sacks tfl and forced fumbles but never made a roster. Reggie ragland is starting to play well in his second season and was a 2nd round pick starting linebacker from Alabama and he didn't even start his first year sitting behind Preston brown and tanner Vallejo. Reuben foster very talented but can't get on the field for off field issues. To say mack will be starting year one for us because he went to Alabama is a bit over the top. I'll take that bet. Note I do really like the pick despite this post. Just think it's a bit presumptuous to say he will start on opening day simply because he went to bama

17 hours ago, Zombo said:

Taki Taki ... the guy just sounds like a hitter ... and from what I read, that is his speciality.

Two things here: 1) We're in the middle of the third round. Getting bent out of shape over a third rounder when you don't have nearly the information our front office possesses is futile. As Dorsey would say "we're looking for 'football players' and he has a top notch professional staff to scour them.

2) This is an Elliot Wolf pick, as Pluto points out. Wolf loves the guy. Did his homework. There's a reason Wolf is a highly paid NFL personnel guy and the dudes at Walter Football are writing their opinions on their laptop from a lunch diner while spilling a gyro on their fat belly.

In the third round you are looking for a plug and play guy, and we got one who becomes the fourth linebacker and special teams stud right away. Everyone complains about linebacker depth and special teams. Then we improve both corps dramatically with one pick and the complaining continues.

Guy was a bit of a trouble-maker, settled down, got married, had a fantastic season last year. He is considered a success story at BYU, and I trust Dorsey, Wolf et al to think he'll be a success story in Cleveland too.

Football player! I can see "Taki Taki" covered in mud already as he drills a rb back into the backfield on fourth and one.

Zombo

Guys that want to bang on a third round pick- well. Not counting the 254 players that got drafted, I was pretty stunned perusing the list Ag originally posted in another thread.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028811/article/top-undrafted-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft  think you want to be a GM? Got the time to go over game tape and actually scout all these guys? And there's probably a lot more that didn't even make the list.  

17 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Actually New York, then they started moving west.

Since we're a little OT here, correct.  :)  

17 hours ago, nickers said:

The first Mormon church in the US is in Kirtland.. I used to live in Kirtland.. Infact.. Steve Young made a personal pilgrimage there...

True, but that was before they started the great migration west.  I do know a little about the Mormons and their history. My brother in law used to live in Keokuk Iowa which is on the other side of the Mississippi river from Nauvoo Illinois where the Mormons wound up next. To make a long story as short as possible, John Smith was essentially the God Emperor of Nauvoo.  Seems the Mormons weren't much liked even way back then. The editor of the Nauvoo News had some unflattering things written about the Mormons, so Smith declared the newspaper a nuisance, and had it "abated"- burned to the ground.  Obviously, the editor was seriously POed, and appealed to the governor of Illinois about freedom of the press. Which was agreed upon. Things escalated to the point it was decided to take Smith and several other top Mormons into protective custody in the local jail, except a mob figured out where they were, and killed them. Only reason Brigham Young didn't wind up dead was because he was out of town at the time. Thing got so hot- literally, they pulled up stakes for Utah after that. The locals did such a great job of razing & burning the Mormon Temple after they left, much later it took Mormon historians decades to even find any remains of the edifice.   

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2019 at 4:41 AM, Nero said:

I can't stand when people say things like "In Dorsey I trust" or "analytics driven pick" or even "Dorsey sucks". I prefer it when we value each pick independently of the people behind it, because we don't know if it was Dorsey's, analytics, or Defensive coordinator's pick. 

As of today, many people think it is a reach, and as a dummie I am, I'm not the one to judge if it is a bad pick or not (there are some UDFAs in the HOF, IIRC, would you draft them with a 3rd round pick?). 

I don't blindly trust in the Front Office as they are humans, but they'll have to convince me with this one.

Really good points Nero!  For example, even a dynasty builder like Bill Walsh drafted Hofstra QB Giovanni Carmazzi instead of Michigan QB Tom Brady.   Or the Pittsburgh franchise that drafted their way to a dynasty didn't take Pitt's Dan Marino in the 83 draft when the QBs for the Steelers were Terry Bradshaw (in his final season), Mark Malone, and Cliff Stoudt. 

April is way too early for final conclusions on a draft pick. That said, the streets of Nashville just reminded us fan isn't just a prefix of fantastic! 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2019 at 3:19 AM, htownbrown said:

This is the game Wolf referred to in the press conference.

I'm not sure any 1 game is going to change anyone's opinion that is already skeptical; but thanks for sharing that matchup.  Here's another highlight showing clips from throughout his college career that prolly won't change any conclusions already made either. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, darren15 said:

What is amusing is the people who are making these picks are paid $$$$$$ to make them, if we all could do better we would be in jobs doing it :) ....

We should all apply for the next available GM job that comes up and we can show our board draft on our resume and the posts we have made regarding picks 

I heard an interesting spin from Peter Schrager about what Seattle is trying to do. They just made Wilson the highest paid player so they prefer to build around the mid-late rounds of the draft (even drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd rd the 1 year all the mock drafts only had eyes for Luck and RG3 in gotta-have round 1 territory).   Not only that, their GM is either the next Jed Clampett striking oil by accident with all the late round gems he landed or he's pretty freakin good at doing that.

Applying this to us as much as we can, we've been signing the rock star FAs in the last 2 years while we also found our franchise QB at the 1st pick overall (who's going to demand a much bigger contract within the next few years if the success continues).  If you can draft in the mid-late rounds and find the buried treasures that went undrafted - you can perpetuate a healthy salary cap like Seattle did for a decent length of time.  Let's hope we do something like that this year. 

Edited by Flugel

10 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

To say mack will be starting year one for us because he went to Alabama is a bit over the top. I'll take that bet. Note I do really like the pick despite this post. Just think it's a bit presumptuous to say he will start on opening day simply because he went to bama

You're on for a beer next time I go to a Browns game.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Guys that want to bang on a third round pick- well. Not counting the 254 players that got drafted, I was pretty stunned perusing the list Ag originally posted in another thread.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028811/article/top-undrafted-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft  think you want to be a GM? Got the time to go over game tape and actually scout all these guys? And there's probably a lot more that didn't even make the list.  

And another beer with you too Larry. Then we can go split a bottle of decent red.🤩🍷🍷🤩

EDIT And if either of these guys ends up the starter I'll be happy as a pig in slop. 🐖It means there was fierce competition for the right to run through RBs and QBs.🐗

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I may have to start going back to doing the double tap!

:o

Double tap?Double tap?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of anything, certainly how they feel about a player.

With that being said, the ones saying how bad of a pick it was dont jive with also saying In Dorsey we/I trust.

If the reaction was to do that, then no it wasn't In Dorsey you trust, it was that you didn't have a reason to complain before. It was that you sided with the decision making prior. That isn't trust.

I wont go through all the moves, just a couple. This is how it appears when that happens.

Ward- I liked Chubb more, but I can see why he made the decision. Works out- he is great

N. Chubb- hes great, got the 2nd best back in Draft. Genius move

OBJ- we got the best receiver in NFL. 

Then without a 1st round pick, the Dorsey is such a genius he can find a way to move to 1st to get "x player" without giving up 1st next year.

Greedy- Dorsey knew exactly when to move up to get the best CB in Draft. He is the man.

Takitaki- this is a terrible pick, a huge overreach (because nobody in the media/pre draft THOUGHT he would go that high). 

Mack- he was the 2nd or 3rd best LB in the draft. This was INCREDIBLE value. An absolute steal. He should be starting day 1

So when its like that, you trust, but a pick you don't then you don't trust. Those just don't work together. If I trust someone, I trust them at any time.

What I see in this scenario is that most people undervalued Sione and overvalued Mack. That doesn't mean that Mack won't be better, its just the assumption of grade. As the person that people wants to trust had the choice of each and chose 1 before the other. Maybe, just maybe, JD wanted both and actually KNEW how both were graded.

Everyone seems to dismiss the fact that its not like it was an either/or, and that Mack "the unbelievable steal" went a couple picks later or something. There was 9 LBs selected between the 2. Mack wasn't the next ILB, 3 taken before him.

Again, I have zero issue with people having an opinion (whether right or wrong, or proven correct or incorrect) about a player. But if it's the same people saying they trust Dorsey, then its not right to complain at the 1st thing he does that they don't agree with. Trust isn't, I trust them unless they do something I disagree with