THE BROWNS BOARD

OBJ Will Have One of His Worst Seasons in 2019

BobPOUND!

We are getting into the slow time of the NFL year.. Draft will soon be over and then its whatever small pieces of news we get from camp.. So between now and then it is all speculation and hype.

To that end, why I think OBJ will be one of our best players while the rest of the talking heads and stat watchers proclaim him to be a bust... Our opponents are going to have to pick their poison. And the first poison they are going to be forced to deal with is OBJ. He will consistently get our opponents best CB's or Safeties.  He will more times than not get a 2nd defender to help out..

Even with that type of attention last year, he was still one of the best in the league as Eli had to thread the needle over and over to him and to both their credit, they made a decent combination..

BUT.... In Cleveland we have at least 2 other incredible targets that in a normal offense would require a double team of either one of them.. Njoku and Landry both bring another level to this. And not to mention the long threat of Calloway and even Higgins... Baker won't have to thread it to OBJ as he should have a plethora of easier targets to hit. And not to mention not 1 not 2 but eventually 3 Pro-bowl quality running backs which further takes the weight off of OBJ to make ALL of the offense like he has done in years past...

It will come down to whether OBJ has thick skin. Because half way through the season they will start harping on his production and how we wasted so much on bringing this over priced Prima Donna to the Browns.. When in reality his mere presence out there completely opens up our offensive to a level I don't think we've ever seen, including Langhorne and Slaughter and Kosar.. 

He is a case study in Subtraction through Addition.. His addition subtracts at least 2 and sometimes 3 defenders from covering others on the field.. But it will come at a cost to his ego and his stats... Hopefully he can handle it.

BobPound!

IMHO there is a lot of “hopefully” in the OBJ trade. It’s a Full Dorse move and hopefully it moves him from “outstanding” to “genius”. I am on record for saying that I didn’t agree with the move. I would have preferred Perriman (who had just signed), Peppers, #17 in the 2019 draft (Jeffery Simmons or Montez Sweat, or Marquise Brown) and a third rounder - oh and less a $25M contract!

I think Dorsey is banking on the Jarvis, OBJ, Mayfield friendship/chemistry. I have played on teams with great chemistry and it can make a big difference on and off the field.

I agree with you. I was in the camp of "Oh great, we have OBJ" when I heard the news. And it was literally 50/50 sarcasm and sincerity. My first thought on hearing the news was "Oh Shit what did we give up". I was surprised it was as cheap as it was, but was still to expensive for my taste.. 

With the defensive moves we made in shoring up our Dline and with the improved play of nearly everyone on the defense, Peppers included, I felt we were already in a good spot going into the Draft this year.. This move puts to much of a spot light on us. But it is here and there is nothing we can do about it but HOPEFULLY see a team that wants to sacrifice to win...

But I think we sold the cow for magic beans.   Sure OBJ might get us to the playoff in 2019/2020.. But WTF happens in 2020/2021?  All these people are going to want to get paid.. Our window is going to be short.

The only Silver/Gold lining might be in what I said above.. If OBJ's stats are low this year due to him being doubled and even tripled and someone like Calloway or Higgins hits 1000k yards this season, his price tag might go down and we might get to keep him for a bit cheaper for 2021/2022...  But either way I don't want a year or two of winning. I want to rebuild a team that consistently drafts well, makes good off season pickups and makes it to the playoffs and is a SuperBowl contender each and every year...

QUESTION for anyone willing to answer it... Do bonus' count against the cap? Let's say the owners give a 10% bonus for making it to the playoffs or a 20% bonus for an appearence in the SB or 25 for winning it.. How does that look against the cap?   Could we incentivize our team into winning and pay them less in guaranteed money? They are all young and have lots of time to make bank... Give them a reason to make more money now instead of waiting till their contracts are renegotiated.

BobPound

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

I think Dorsey is banking on the Jarvis, OBJ, Mayfield friendship/chemistry. I have played on teams with great chemistry and it can make a big difference on and off the field.

I watched the two together at LSU. They are complimentary to one another, OBJ to clear out the underneath stuff and Jarvis with the sure hands to snag the fastballs. This is going to be a dynamic duo "believe me". Add in the fast TE for the medium range and voila, we have ourselves a passing attack with a damn good couple of pass catching backs for PA/RPO to further loosen things up. Now just finish this D off so there are no weaknesses.

I can hardly wait for the new Browns to get this season going. Xmas in Sept.🤗🤩

"statistically" speaking OBJ might have a lesser year simply because there's so many other targets. But he might have one of his most "impactful" seasons. Bank on it. At the beginning of the year teams are going to blanket him and force the Browns offense to rely on their other weapons. If those other weapons peform as they should, teams will not be able to afford giving OBJ too much attention. OBJ might have some of the most memorable plays in recent NFL history this year. And it's gonna be because Baker holds obj in reserve till they need a big play. Baker WILL NOT focus in on OBJ....he's too smart for that and I don't think Kitch would tolerate it either. 

Depends on how you measure "worst." He's only played on a team with a winning record once since he stepped into the league and he's never won a playoff game.

Perhaps it's just the optimist in me, but I don't think I've had the pleasure of seeing a Browns team more complete than the one going into this season. I think it could be ODB's "best" year. I would hope that he's be able to measure his success by the success of his team.

• Like 1

Kitchen's dishing it out to Grossi at presser right now re Beckham etc .....all we need now is to have Freddie tell the fucker to leave town and take the blonde poison pen bimbo with you