THE BROWNS BOARD

Dayton and NFL 100

hoorta

I'm sure Gipper will find this interesting. 

For those who don't know it- the very first NFL game was played here in Dayton, so we're part of the "celebration" if you want to call it that..... https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/archdeacon-dayton-overwhlems-nfl-with-its-embrace-triangles/kpeWfm9fbmsUuoVHQ9hK3J/

We get a free new turf field courtesy of the League (the Bengals will have a practice there during training camp) and our Mayor Nan Whaley will get to announce the Bengals 6th round pick from that game site on Saturday.  The stands and field are long gone, but as the article pointed out- at least the site isn't an apartment complex.  Should I show up in my Browns gear? :D 

So, that site is now a park...and not a parking lot?  Good.

FYI...the site of the Huppmobile dealership in Canton has been the site of a Federal Courthouse now for many years.  Still in some use, though they have built a new building.

In the past, I had been to my share of bankruptcy hearings in this building.619080-L.jpg

42 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So, that site is now a park...and not a parking lot?  Good.

FYI...the site of the Huppmobile dealership in Canton has been the site of a Federal Courthouse now for many years.  Still in some use, though they have built a new building.

I'll have to do some scouting the next time I ride the bike down to the Great Miami , I've never seen the marker in person, though the bike path has to be within 1,000 feet of the marker.  I thought for a long time Triangle Park was so named because it's on a triangle shaped piece of land between the Great Miami and Stillwater Rivers.  Maybe the Triangles got their name because of it?  

Ha, since we're talking history that Dayton was a part of, last year I was able to track down and find the very elusive Huffman Prairie, which is generally considered to be the site of the world's first airport.  :)  You could probably still land one of those Alaska tundra planes with the big wheels there, but I wouldn't try it in a Cessna.   

Image result for Huffman Prairie marker image

31 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

image.thumb.png.f6d546d6e1c5daa7b9d46d754de6f09a.png

It is all pretty generic.  They site I linked just took the same designs and put different names to them.

I don't know if the likes of the Akron Pros or the Dayton Triangles actually had logos back in those days.  I somehow doubt it.  

Some of the photos you posted were for the Canton McKinley high school team...

Which I always wondered:  What came first:  did the high school name their mascot after the Pro Bulldogs, or did the Pro Bulldogs name their team after the high school mascot?   As a Cantonite, Dawg, do you know?

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It is all pretty generic.  They site I linked just took the same designs and put different names to them.

I don't know if the likes of the Akron Pros or the Dayton Triangles actually had logos back in those days.  I somehow doubt it.  

Which I always wondered:  What came first:  did the high school name their mascot after the Pro Bulldogs, or did the Pro Bulldogs name their team after the high school mascot?   As a Cantonite, Dawg, do you know?

:) then you have the copycat Paul Brown. Coached the Massillon Tigers, which begat the Bengals, and then used the same color scheme as the Browns for the first few years until Madison Avenue came up with the bowling ball helmets and striped unis.  

54 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) then you have the copycat Paul Brown. Coached the Massillon Tigers, which begat the Bengals, and then used the same color scheme as the Browns for the first few years until Madison Avenue came up with the bowling ball helmets and striped unis.  

And if Brown had his druthers the Browns would have been the "Panthers"...

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Good question Gip, so I had to do a little research.

The Canton McKinley High School is definitely older than the pro Canton Bulldogs franchise.

However, the pro team didn’t use the “Bulldog” moniker in their early years.

I was able to dig up the following on Wikipedia. . .

Sometime during the 1906 season, the Canton team became known as the "Bulldogs" although no one is quite sure how it came to be affixed to the Canton team. It wasn't called that in 1905, nor through most of the 1906 season. As late as November 4, R.C. Johnson, an editorial cartoonist with the Canton Repository, was only able to picture the Canton team as only a man with a club lying in wait for the Massillon Tiger. Most references to the team called it "Canton A.C.," "C.A.C.," "Canton eleven." "the Red and White" or "Wallace's Men." Suddenly, almost overnight, the team became the "Bulldogs", with a November 14, 1906 cartoon showing the Canton Bulldog facing off against the Massillon Tiger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Bulldogs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

And if Brown had his druthers the Browns would have been the "Panthers"...

NO,  it was Paul Brown who vetoed the use of the name Panthers for "his" team.   Because there had been a Cleveland Panthers before (in some league somewhere..not the NFL)  that were apparently big losers, and he did not want to be associated with that.

58 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hey Gip - here's some trivia questions for your regarding Barberton High School...

1. Why is Barberton's school color purple?

2. Where does the name "Magics" come from? 

Barberton did not exist as a city before the 1890s.  It was formed out of land that once belonged to both Norton Twp. and Coventry Twp. (Norton formed in 1818...a full 70 years before Barberton existed).  But when it did form and when OC Barber put his operations here,  the town took off in both jobs and population...thus it became known as the Magic City  long before any of us were born.    And its color purple came from the fact that a lot of magicians wore purple robes....or other apparell with purple color.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

NO,  it was Paul Brown who vetoed the use of the name Panthers for "his" team.   Because there had been a Cleveland Panthers before (in some league somewhere..not the NFL)  that were apparently big losers, and he did not want to be associated with that.

He was the one who wanted the name, but then changed his mind when he found out someone still owned the name and they had a reputation of losing, so YES. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Barberton did not exist as a city before the 1890s.  It was formed out of land that once belonged to both Norton Twp. and Coventry Twp. (Norton formed in 1818...a full 70 years before Barberton existed).  But when it did form and when OC Barber put his operations here,  the town took off in both jobs and population...thus it became known as the Magic City  long before any of us were born.    And its color purple came from the fact that a lot of magicians wore purple robes....or other apparell with purple color.

WRONG. 

Well, the name Magics came from the "magical" growth of Barberton, so I guess I'll give you a little credit. Maybe a crumb of credit for this. A very little crumb. 

Barberton High School's main color a long time ago was actually brown. A long time ago they needed a new curtain for their high school auditorium, and they found one for cheap, but the only problem was it was purple. They bought this huge curtain at a discount cost, grew to like the purple and changed the school's colors based on thrift. 

(Being the trivia Nazi was fun! THE POWER HAS GONE TO MY HEAD! I RULE ALL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!) 

49 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He was the one who wanted the name, but then changed his mind when he found out someone still owned the name and they had a reputation of losing, so YES. 

You know who the name was chosen and a fan vote it was not chosen by Paul Brown. 

46 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

WRONG. 

Well, the name Magics came from the "magical" growth of Barberton, so I guess I'll give you a little credit. Maybe a crumb of credit for this. A very little crumb. 

Barberton High School's main color a long time ago was actually brown. A long time ago they needed a new curtain for their high school auditorium, and they found one for cheap, but the only problem was it was purple. They bought this huge curtain at a discount cost, grew to like the purple and changed the school's colors based on thrift. 

(Being the trivia Nazi was fun! THE POWER HAS GONE TO MY HEAD! I RULE ALL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!) 

I thought you were asking because you didn’t know. And that’s the story I’ve never heard. But I doubt serious that is school whose nickname was Magic’s Would have brown has its colorWould have brown has its color