THE BROWNS BOARD

Upset Browns Fans

darren15

I was thinking of Rosen. But certainly I liked him as my second favorite. In the draft presser I liked him the most along Rosen and against Georgia he made some impressive passes. 

One year later, I can't think of anyone more appropiate to lead this team, and Rosen has rumours saying that he's out of his team (which I think that whether you like him or not, it's absurd. He's a first round pick with only a year under his belt in a bad team)

I'm glad the way everything turned out. Let's keep fighting. 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

big deal - a few? fans were not happy? shocked? MOST fans were delighted. Any more old news ya got?

The Titanic has sunk

For me, there was no other choice than Baker. I wanted that kid so bad & could only hope that Dorsey did too.I LOVED the part where Kirk Herbstreit politely shoved Mel's statement down his throat.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Originally I was dead set against drafting Manziel 2.   Then when it was convincing enough that he was NOT a Manziel I wasn't against him being the pick if that's who Dorsey thought was the best QB, but I wanted a tall guy with good mechanics.   In reality though, I wanted Dorsey to pick who he thought was the best QB at #1 and NOT to let someone else have the best QB and then go ahead and take who fell to him at #4.

12 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I LOVED the part where Kirk Herbstreit politely shoved Mel's statement down his throat.

Mike

Me too; because of how slightly politely it was to the Ratbird Cheerleader.   Herbie's skin wasn't just crawling - it was doing aerobics.  BLEE DAT! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Truthfully I was thinking "Uh oh, another diminutive semi-running QB from the Big 12-2 who has rarely faced high level defenses." He is proving he is more than that thanks to work with Freddie.

The recent trend of Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield from the Big 12 might want to have people looking at the QBs instead of their conferences moving forward.

Once upon a time the Tedford System QBs were a "no no" until Aaron Rodgers ended such a trend.  Having said that, was that Tedford Trend a big reason such a talent like Rodgers slid all the way to #24 overall to the team Favre was starting for?   There were also the BYU QBs that didn't pan out as starters over the years like: Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Robbie Bosco, Ty Detmer and John Beck.  However, Jim McMahon and Steve Young were enough of an exception to that rule to remind people to look at the QB instead of the school, system, conference, etc...

On 4/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Truthfully I was thinking "Uh oh, another diminutive semi-running QB from the Big 12-2 who has rarely faced high level defenses." He is proving he is more than that thanks to work with Freddie.

This was my concern as well, by far. I didn't think the guy was Manziel 2.0 in the slightest, but rather the simple truth of Big 12 QB's having essentially no success in the NFL. Between Mahomes and Baker, that script is officially flipped.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, Flugel said:

The recent trend of Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield from the Big 12 might want to have people looking at the QBs instead of their conferences moving forward.

Once upon a time the Tedford System QBs were a "no no" until Aaron Rodgers ended such a trend.  Having said that, was that Tedford Trend a big reason such a talent like Rodgers slid all the way to #24 overall to the team Favre was starting for?   There were also the BYU QBs that didn't pan out as starters over the years like: Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Robbie Bosco, Ty Detmer and John Beck.  However, Jim McMahon and Steve Young were enough of an exception to that rule to remind people to look at the QB instead of the school, system, conference, etc...

People seem to forget that every once in awhile.. a guy like 5'7" Eddie LeBaron comes along and surprises people...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

People seem to forget that every once in awhile.. a guy like 5'7" Eddie LeBaron comes along and surprises people...

The Chrysler LeBaron, and Eddie happened a long time ago. Until real recently those nasty analytics nerds thought NFL quarterbacks shouldn't be less than 6'2". Brees and Wilson were considered outliers in the equation.  Baker's success last year threw that one out the window, and has paved the way for Kyler Murray to be drafted high this evening.  It will remain to be seen if Murray can duplicate Mayfield's instant success. 

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The Chrysler LeBaron, and Eddie happened a long time ago. Until real recently those nasty analytics nerds thought NFL quarterbacks shouldn't be less than 6'2". Brees and Wilson were considered outliers in the equation.  Baker's success last year threw that one out the window, and has paved the way for Kyler Murray to be drafted high this evening.  It will remain to be seen if Murray can duplicate Mayfield's instant success. 

I just don't see Kyler as a pro QB.. I see him being a return man/RB/WildDawg type of guy... I just don't see him making an adjustment to the speed of the game based merely on the fact that WR's don't get 3 step cushions like they do in College...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, nickers said:

I just don't see Kyler as a pro QB.. I see him being a return man/RB/WildDawg type of guy... I just don't see him making an adjustment to the speed of the game based merely on the fact that WR's don't get 3 step cushions like they do in College...

It's possible he may flop, certainly has a higher bust potential than Mayfield.  The little I've seen of Murray tells me he probably has more arm than Baker (reason he was a first round pick in MLB), and is certainly accurate enough- when his WRs were wide open. :)   Didn't like that he didn't run a 40, but then again neither did Lamar Jackson. The big question is does he have the smarts? There were reports his whiteboard stuff was terrible, and underlying stuff his Wunderlich showed he's not very bright.  

EDIT: I'll take that back.  Murray isn't box of rocks thick like Vince Young (6) but current thinking is 20 is the cutoff for considering a qb. Kyler is right on the cusp. Was able to dig these scores up:   

43 — Ryan Finley, South Carolina (re-test; scored 28 on the first try)
42 — Gardner Minshew, Washington State
37 — Daniel Jones, Duke
32 — Easton Stick, North Dakota State
32 — Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
31 — Trace McSorley, Penn State
30 — Will Grier, West Virginia
28 — Brett Rypien, Boise State
27 — Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
26 — Drew Lock, Missouri
25 — Tyree Jackson, Buffalo
25 — Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State
22 — Sean McGuire, Western Illinois
20 — Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

So what's his MO going to be in the pros? If his first read is covered, take off running? Quick trip to IR.  

FWIW, Baker scored a 25 on the test and scored second highest on the improved version- the AIQ.  

"This year’s most anticipated draft player, Baker Mayfield, has scored the second highest score ever on the Athlete IQ test, or AIQ. The AIQ, a modernized version of the Wonderlic test - a test designed to measure player performance under stress - has been in development with the NFL since 2012, and is being used with existing Wonderlic scores to allow coaches to find the players with the best mental form for their team."

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I admit that I was overthinking the first pick oh, and thought Rosen or Darnold would be ready to play sooner. No pun intended. But even so I loved Baker Mayfield and was happy as a pig in shit when we drafted him, I just had to cross the fingers on both hands.

WSS

To be fair neither of the other two had decent OLs. Not that ours were world beaters, but they were much better than the other two.

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

To be fair neither of the other two had decent OLs. Not that ours were world beaters, but they were much better than the other two.

There has to be something more to it than that especially in the case of Rosen  or he wouldn't have been demoted after 1 year.

WSS

Just now, Westside Steve said:

There has to be something more to it than that especially in the case of Rosen  or he wouldn't have been demoted after 1 year.

WSS

There was for sure. The college coach who had JFF recruited hard for Murray to come to A&M, but then took the job at Tech where his defensive foibles did him in. Murray fits his college offense just like JFF did, so it was adios to the throwing pocket passer and hello college runner with an arm. Rosen just got thrown into the briar patch with an ideal pro style offense that fits him far better than the college one the Cards will run. It will be interesting to see which one develops into the best pro QB over the next 3-5 years.

• Upvote 1

Upset Browns fans? How about upset Bills fans? Bills take a once-in-a-generation QB talent in Josh Allen last year, only to draft ANOTHER QB this year in Tyree Jackson? What a waste of a pick. All the BIlls are doing is just slowing Allen's march to Canton down.

• Haha 2