THE BROWNS BOARD

Dumbo review

Dumbo
Walt Disney
PG.             112 min
I know it will sound a little bit odd if I say I was disappointed in this film since as you will see at the end of the review I give it a fairly high grade. Here’s the deal. This is Disney, not some fly-by-night movie studio being run out of a Bakersfield garage. Nobody, and I mean nobody, in the world does this kind of thing better. The original is one of America’s most beloved animated features and now with access to the most amazing modern graphics imaginable being remanufactured for a whole new generation. It really should have been an A+. 
And I’m serious when I say it looks spectacular. Tim Burton directed this and for all of his talents and shortcomings the guy really does make his films look more rivetingly surreal  that almost anyone else. Unfortunately within that jaw dropping look you will find just a hint of creepiness. Unlike the pure and heartwarming charm of Disney’s recent MARY POPPINS,  Burton just can’t help adding a little essence of skunk to the perfume. 
The original animated DUMBO was released in 1941, q very different time in America, and subject to the constraints of a very different level of animation effects. The new DUMBO is a louder brasher and even more violent flick.  
The Medici Brothers Circus has fallen on hard times. Trick riding cowboy star Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell) has come home from World War I with one less arm and two kids to provide for alone after the death of his wife. Circus owner Max Medici, (Danny DeVito)  having lost so many of his attractions, is counting on the upcoming birth of a baby elephant to breathe new life into the show. When the time comes everyone is shocked and appalled by the look of the little pachyderm who has unnaturally huge ears. As the audience turns against the poor little creature Max and his crew feel all is lost until Holt's daughter makes an amazing discovery, that the little elephant can fly. With a flying elephant the circus is back on the fast track to success but now gains the attention of V A Vandevere (Michael Keaton) the unscrupulous owner of the world’s largest show who works up a deal to make Max his partner, and give all the Medici Brothers Circus performers a new home. Does anybody think he can be trusted? 
When Vandevere shows his true colors, and Dumbo and his mothers lives are now in jeopardy, Holt, Max, the kids and trapeze artist Colette (Eva Green) steer the film into an action adventure to save the elephants.
Part of my slight discomfort was that it’s hard to accept one of Hollywood’s most charismatic guys, Keaton, as an evil son of a bitch. And it seemed to me Farrell was channeling Luke McCoy for the accent. It’s just that none of the actors are as lovable as you would expect Disney characters to be. Nobody makes a film quite as visually stunning as Burton  but  I don’t think he’s  generally good with characters. Personally I think he could have hit the hook about the elephant not needing the feather to fly or the cowboy meeting his arm to ride a little harder, but it was there. Still that’s not a deal-breaker and I thoroughly enjoyed the film and I’m giving it a B. It was exciting and heartwarming and thrilling at various times, and I do love those mice. I just wish the masters at Disney turn this triple into a home run.
B
WSS

Well.....you know, some of those early Disney film had their fare share of creepiness to them..so I didn't see anything of that sort to be out of the ordinary. (and that bit of creepiness may have been what gave Disney the edge vs. some of the syrupy sweet cartoons that may have been out there).  

As for Keaton....he is no stranger to being weird if not evil at times.  This is the guy that played Beetlejuice   and his role in Birdman I felt was off kilter.  And remember Pacific Height....he was an evil bastard in that role.

And as for Colin Farrell's accent.....that is just your typical  British/Scottish/Irish actor trying to adopt a US southern accent.  They are rarely adept at it.

As for no characters being  lovable?   You forgot one:  the title character.