THE BROWNS BOARD

California city tests universal basic income program ahead of 2020

Vambo

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

Everyone has a beef with how the money is spent depending on their politics. See the first few posts about the homeless vets. 

I'd say they earn every cent that  would be given them.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

And you are missing the point of human nature...work requirements should be for all government handouts for able bodied people. If an able bodied person turns down government aid because of work requirements they really do not need the aid, 

.... That's.... Not the point of the study....

2 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

What would be your idea of how to address the people who don't have jobs? Of which there would be a whole bunch. Not asking that as snark.

seriously? retraining. When I hired in to develop a computer program for a company - they warned me that others tried and failed miserably. They gave me all the work they had accomplished, and I couldn't use any of it - it was scrambled birds nest menus poorly designed, with buttons with no code - just an interface that was all wrong. When I told em that, they were po'd.

When I interviewed the people doing the jobs now, that my system would do - they were a good bit hostile - they thought I would put them out of work. Not true - I explained that the software I will develop - was only going to be a pseudo-AI system - meaning - only to a point, can the software analyze 30 gig databases, and make updates with the new databases, record by record, delete duplications etc etc etc etc.

So, to a point, it did most of the job in less than a minute - but there were always a few hundred data anomalies that kicked out into an exception file. When it went live, the users of the software loved it - they were always a week behind and making mistakes everywhere - now, they still keep busy but it worked beautifully.

Anyways, I say, retraining - I will never have surgery via robot, and will never have a robot nurse.

3 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

No doubt. But the what is sacrificed in the budget to help them is always where the wailing and gnashing of teeth happens. To date, no one in the White House has put a real effort into addressing the problem.

Need to go would like to pick up this after I get back.  Thank you for the respectful debate.

Just now, calfoxwc said:

seriously? retraining. When I hired in to develop a computer program for a company - they warned me that others tried and failed miserably. They gave me all the work they had accomplished, and I couldn't use any of it - it was scrambled birds nest menus poorly designed, with buttons with no code - just an interface that was all wrong. When I told em that, they were po'd.

When I interviewed the people doing the jobs now, that my system would do - they were a good bit hostile - they thought I would put them out of work. Not true - I explained that the software I will develop - was only going to be a pseudo-AI system - meaning - only to a point, can the software analyze 30 gig databases, and make updates with the new databases, record by record, delete duplications etc etc etc etc.

So, to a point, it did most of the job in less than a minute - but there were always a few hundred data anomalies that kicked out into an exception file. When it went live, the users of the software loved it - they were always a week behind and making mistakes everywhere - now, they still keep busy but it worked beautifully.

Anyways, I say, retraining - I will never have surgery via robot, and will never have a robot nurse.

There may be nothing to retrain to. 

The not wanting those things may be out of your hands. Honestly, most of you guys may have passed on by the time it gets completely wild.

13 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Too late. You already didn't plan for the future when ghosts take over the machines and Jefferson Davis takes over the U.S. with his robot minions. The South will rise again....and never sleep!

dammit....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

But they can do that with even good ideas or the best of intentions. They shouldn't be the measuring stick.

Ah yes those "good intentions".

Good intentions makes libs feel good about themselves and morally superior.

Good intentions mean never having to say you're sorry. The left is free to implement these good intentions until doomsday because blame cannot be placed on libs laps when their policies fail.  Why?  Because their intentions were good that's why duh!  They are absolved and cannot be held responsible because, well again...their intentions were good!

What would they do without Republicans to blame?

How each side approaches it...

Libtards:  Does it feel good?

Rational people:  Does it do good?

And if it feels good, it must be good....hence this new California experiment.

This has nothing to do with "libtards" or "feelings". Christ. Every damn thing has to become us vs them.

We're heading to a future where a large portion of the population won't have a job to do. There won't be any "work requirement" if there is no work to do. Some jobs will still exist, but not enough to go around. 

This study is to start looking at what a UBI might look like, and how it might play out. Laziness doesn't matter. Sobriety doesn't matter. Your biases don't matter. 

Also, to the point of "there will be no innovation because people will become complacent". That's like saying because someone has a job at McDonald's so they have no reason to ever strive and be more. If that's all it takes to deter someone, they weren't getting far to begin with. 

19 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

This has nothing to do with "libtards" or "feelings". Christ. Every damn thing has to become us vs them.

We're heading to a future where a large portion of the population won't have a job to do. There won't be any "work requirement" if there is no work to do. Some jobs will still exist, but not enough to go around. 

This study is to start looking at what a UBI might look like, and how it might play out. Laziness doesn't matter. Sobriety doesn't matter. Your biases don't matter. 

Also, to the point of "there will be no innovation because people will become complacent". That's like saying because someone has a job at McDonald's so they have no reason to ever strive and be more. If that's all it takes to deter someone, they weren't getting far to begin with. 

I won't really argue with you a lot of what you say is probably true. There will be less and less jobs for people to do. No matter who you are no matter what snap courses you took as computers take the jobs that hundreds of Engineers used to have. Or ATMs take the jobs of bank tellers or automatic checkout or the kiosk in the fast food restaurant replace even those McDonald's workers you were talking about. But just like over feeding goldfish human beings with nothing to do who receive Food and shelter for nothing... Well I guess you can make your own conclusions about that. 

give them weed and booze just to keep them occupied I guess.

WSS

26 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

When this happens, we exterminate the unneeded population.  Say at age 30, everyone goes to a happy place (extermination camp).  Keeps the population low.

13 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

They're coming for your job next, Steve. 

article-0-1DF67E8900000578-988_964x641.jpg

That's not as ridiculous as it sounds. I actually use a drum machine in my show but I know guys that use entire midi setups. Some guys use MP3 backgrounds, similar to karaoke which eliminates the need for musicians. I used to have a harmonizer which I quit using but that eliminates the need for somebody to sing a second or third part. Since the days of the discotheque how many establishments have recorded music and DJs as the source of entertainment? In more and more Arena sized venues the huge Acts use varying degrees of recorded instruments and vocals. 

⁉️

WSS

11 hours ago, Chemist said:

Do you really think that computers will ever be able to actually “think,” reason, or be conscious?? How can that type of thing even be programmed. Computers will not replace engineers. A computer cannot be ethical. Even animals are unable of such thought. 

I absoultely think they will.

Not only that for the music industry, but keep in mind different cycles in history necessitated different types of musical entertainment chamber music and solo fiddler Etc for the king and the king's court overtaken during the Industrial Revolution as more people lived in the same compact area and they started building big concert Halls. In order to fill a big concert hall you needed a good-sized Orchestra and the symphony was all the rage. Then, guess what? The sound system made a 40 or 50 piece Orchestra obsolete. Except as a novelty.

So there ya go

WSS

13 hours ago, Chemist said:

Do you really think that computers will ever be able to actually “think,” reason, or be conscious?? How can that type of thing even be programmed. Computers will not replace engineers. A computer cannot be ethical. Even animals are unable of such thought. 

Even if you think that's true, there aren't enough engineering jobs (and jobs like that) to go around.

7 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Even if you think that's true, there aren't enough engineering jobs (and jobs like that) to go around.

Do you suppose that shortage would be more or less if computers didn't exist?

Plus it seems to require a pretty demanding skill set and one not particularly interesting to most people. But to be sure it's not something any schmuck could do.

WSS

22 minutes ago, Chemist said:

I don’t know how anyone could expect a computer program to make ethical decisions. To do so requires a conscience. 

Why would that be? Human beings are taught morality, and more often than not it's not human nature. You can teach a computer to react. Sure somebody has to program it. But somebody has to teach children too.

WSS