THE BROWNS BOARD

Jags trade theorhetical

jcam222

Zoinks! am reading chit from april 🤩..How does Poe have time to find this stuff?... Does It sound like? The NFL agents have hit "the sky is falling" button, due to a *possible* league stoppage?(does your contract end in a year or two?cha' ching).imho, Ramsey is in* camp because Yannick Ngakoue, (who had like over 30 QB hits last season) contract is up at end of this season.He's sitting & the Jags cap ain't good after paying Foles.Ya may not be able to pay'em all? But ya certainly, can't win it all by yourself either.Players to Players will talk. I think Ramsey may have slowed his roll with the Jags to jump ship till after 2019 season? And pay me more money than..Or Else?..Getting Nick Foles can't hurt their offense with Deflip around..but his new OL might get him killed  ☠️..

On 6/12/2019 at 1:30 PM, Clevfan4life said:

we dont need that contract now after drafting greedy. We need to find a safety...thsts who id be shopping duke for

I am sure Dorsey has been shopping Duke, and it appears the offers aren't rolling in at this point.  Dorsey knows that backs value has diminished over the last 4-5 years, so he is probably hoping for a 4th rounder but would take a 5th if it was mid round up.  He is probably only getting 7th round offers at this point.  That may get better as camp wears on.

Duke best hope we don't simply cut him(which we probably won't) because he won't get as much money as we are paying him.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:07 AM, ballpeen said:

Duke best hope we don't simply cut him(which we probably won't)

ok...so then Chubb, Duke & Hilliard...until at least week 8.

Back in Hard Knocks,  the infamous exchange between Hue and Freddie regarding  occasionally not dressing a guy for practice to keep them from getting soft tissue injuries.  I think Duke was one of those guys, in Hue's eyes.  And although Hue wasn't a good HC, he wasn't ALWAYS wrong.  He might've been right about putting Duke on a pitch count during the week.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

ok...so then Chubb, Duke & Hilliard...until at least week 8.

Back in Hard Knocks,  the infamous exchange between Hue and Freddie regarding  occasionally not dressing a guy for practice to keep them from getting soft tissue injuries.  I think Duke was one of those guys, in Hue's eyes.  And although Hue wasn't a good HC, he wasn't ALWAYS wrong.  He might've been right about putting Duke on a pitch count during the week.

FWIW here.

Dating back to college, the biggest question scouts had about Duke was whether or not he could handle a full work load beyond just 1 season.  IMO, Cleveland gave a guy like him the perfect niche and work load size.  And all the while Cleveland sucked (inclusive of 1-31 football) - his comfortable niche was never threatened.  In fact, the rinse-repeat of suckage gave him an unchallenged tenure in the sense we had so many holes to fill that if we swapped out our #1 RB - we weren't going to try to upgrade Duke too.  This ultimately led to his big raise and contract extension in 2018.  It also meant that once Chubb beat out Hyde for the workload - Hyde was became the odd man out (not Duke).

IMO, Chubb has the bigger WTF questioning of the Hunt addition than Duke has.  Not many rookie RBs can show up to a 1-31 caliber team and average 5.2 yards a carry throughout the learning curve.  Even better, he's a quiet kid that keeps out of trouble.   I would have preferred to see Duke use his anger and frustration about it on the field of play with memory of him being kept over Hyde. 

The most recent complaint I heard out of Duke's mouth was when he corrected a reporter with "they already tried to trade me!"  He gave the reporter a look like if you don't already know this - you're in the wrong business. Anyway, my question to Duke is if you really want to be traded in lieu of showing you're the one we need - then why are you so pissed the FO has already tried to trade you?  If nobody wants to give you the salary Dorsey gave you through 2021, who's really dis-respecting you? The RB market...

A lot of guys leftover from that 1-31 football team are going to have their survival here challenged moving forward.  Wouldn't the masses be complaining if that wasn't the case? I would hope so or we all need a check-up from the neck-up.   We always hear NFL players need to be paid like entertainers, which is fine if your entertainment value treats the customers/consumers to something way better than 1 win in 2 years and/or something better than 2 winning seasons since 1999.  The last thing some of us want to see is 1 guy on a contract extension (that hasn't had his comfortable niche challenged yet) complaining he wants to be traded as soon as there's enough RB talent here to challenge his reps the last 8 games.

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

IMO, Chubb has the bigger WTF questioning of the Hunt addition than Duke has

Right!

....only because it was Dorsey that drafted him...knows how good he is...and wants to add as many talented football players as he can  (within budget).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 6:15 AM, Flugel said:

IMO, Chubb has the bigger WTF questioning of the Hunt addition than Duke has. 

Gonna disagree there, Flugs...

While I get that KC used him like he was a #1, feature back... they really did not have an alternative. Clearly Hunt is closer to Duke stylistically... it's just that Hunt is also a very effective early down back.

So while I can see Hunt "stealing" carries from Chubb as a change of pace back, Chubb is still the #1. Whereas Hunt makes Duke superfluous.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, Tour2ma said:

Gonna disagree there, Flugs...

While I get that KC used him like he was a #1, feature back... they really did not have an alternative. Clearly Hunt is closer to Duke stylistically... it's just that Hunt is also a very effective early down back.

So while I can see Hunt "stealing" carries from Chubb as a change of pace back, Chubb is still the #1. Whereas Hunt makes Duke superfluous.

I like your point Tour.  I agree about the similar style to Duke with similar frames promoting that.  That said, Hunt was the AFC Offensive Rookie of the Year in a feature back role because he's very talented.  When you can rush for 1327 yards at 4.9 yards a carry w/8 TDs; and also contribute 53 receptions for 455 yards and 3 receiving TDs - you're an every down kind of talent.   To your point though, will his frame support that kind of usage long term?   Remains to be seen.

I was just getting really annoyed with Duke whining like he's been treated really poorly here 1 year after a generous contract extension. Meanwhile, Chubb is the one keeping his mouth shut and going about his business like he did last year when the cream rose to the top.

I've had mixed feelings about us adding Hunt.  I know he's extremely talented; but he's the type of knucklehead that finds trouble too easily off the field for comfort.  Duke and his agent have to know this. Not only that, Duke has the first 8 games to remind Dorsey why he felt compelled to give him such a generous raise/contract extension.  He's choosing to be a distraction instead. 

• Upvote 1