THE BROWNS BOARD

Jags trade theorhetical

jcam222

I see Fournette got in trouble today. Overall hes not been good, clashes with coaches and management. I suspect they may want to move on from him. They have plenty of holes and likely arent contenders this year or next. What are the odds we could offer Duke Johnson, one of our DB's and our 2020 1 for Jalen Ramsey. Would they do it? Would you do it. 

The Jags are deep at running back, driving with suspended is no big deal NFL-wise, and Duke Johnson is not much of a commodity.

So next year's #1 for Ramsey... I think the Jags would be smarter to re-sign Ramsey.

Z

• Upvote 3

The last i saw on Ramsey was 1) Jags put the 5th year option on Jalen feb of 2019. 2) His twitter says he ain't coming to camp till Jalen sees Josh Norman 15M/season. 3)Jags countered that with "they will negotiate with his agent up to & after the draft"....4) Let me guess🤔 1 year wonder Fournette showed up fat & out of shape again?

44 minutes ago, Zombo said:

The Jags are deep at running back, driving with suspended is no big deal NFL-wise, and Duke Johnson is not much of a commodity.

So next year's #1 for Ramsey... I think the Jags would be smarter to re-sign Ramsey.

Agree... can't see JAX parting with Ramsay...

... and a Duke for Fournette offer might end up putting the JAX GM in the hospital.

"If a trade offer still has you laughing after 4 hours, then seek immediate medical attention."

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Jags have a ton of jags at RB IMO. While Duke isn’t a superstar he’s better than everyone except for Fournette. Fournette is not very good and he’s not a team guy. He’s getting the boot soon. 

5 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Fournette is not very good and he’s not a team guy. He’s getting the boot soon. 

Really? 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Really? 

Same question for me. This article about him taking on his conditioning in Wyoming and reporting in great shape as a result says otherwise. The driving thing means nothing. He worked with his old LSU S&C coach to work off a lot of pounds and be in the shape he was in his LSU glory days. He showed up some 27 pounds lighter in the first camp (read that elsewhere) @ 223Lbs.. Pretty committed I'd say.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/26756/leonard-fournettes-redemption-season-begins-in-wyoming

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Really? 

Not going to get into him as a teammate, but he's got a career 3.7 yards per carry after his first two seasons. 

There's some value as a guy who can consistently churn out 3 or 4 yards for a ball-control team (see: Eddie George) but as the 4th overall pick in the draft? Dude has been underwhelming so far considering his hype entering the NFL. 

Ezekiel Elliot, Saquon Barkley or Todd Gurley he is not. 

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not going to get into him as a teammate, but he's got a career 3.7 yards per carry after his first two seasons. 

There's some value as a guy who can consistently churn out 3 or 4 yards for a ball-control team (see: Eddie George) but as the 4th overall pick in the draft? Dude has been underwhelming so far considering his hype entering the NFL. 

Ezekiel Elliot, Saquon Barkley or Todd Gurley he is not. 

This past injury ridden out of shape year drug that average down. He was great his first year and now he has reported in at his old playing weight. I'd be hesitant to drop or trade a player that good until I see how he does this coming season. He has redemption on his mind despite the minor license violation.

Problem with Fournette is that he has been asked to carry all the offense on his shoulders (Bortles makes Eli, Prescott and Goff look like Montana) while suffering an injury. 

And the defense didn't play as well as they did on 2017, so I can understand those numbers.

Though I agree that all those backs are better.

13 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Jags have a ton of jags at RB IMO. While Duke isn’t a superstar he’s better than everyone except for Fournette. Fournette is not very good and he’s not a team guy. He’s getting the boot soon. 

I think you might be overvaluing Duke. If its just your opinion that Duke has more talent than the others, that is different. But Jags have 2 other backs who have shown to play at a higher level than Duke, Yeldon and Rawls.

If I were the Jags, with the presented trade offer of Duke, 2020 1st rounder and one of the DBs on the team, it would only make sense if that DB was Ward. If not, I get a 3rd string back, a low 1st round pick (who couldn't be relied upon to be as good as Jalen) and make my team worse on what we hang our hat on, defense.

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

Yeldon is gone .......heading to Pats for a workout

lol.... and the next pats star RB is born...

Although I would not be shocked if he were to see a lot of WR duty as well.

Kinda the reverse Cordarelle Patterson...

8 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I think you might be overvaluing Duke. If its just your opinion that Duke has more talent than the others, that is different. But Jags have 2 other backs who have shown to play at a higher level than Duke, Yeldon and Rawls.

If I were the Jags, with the presented trade offer of Duke, 2020 1st rounder and one of the DBs on the team, it would only make sense if that DB was Ward. If not, I get a 3rd string back, a low 1st round pick (who couldn't be relied upon to be as good as Jalen) and make my team worse on what we hang our hat on, defense.

Rawls has proven to be very inconsistent in what he offers. In my trade Duke and one of our lesser DB's are just addons to the 2020 first rounder. 

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Rawls has proven to be very inconsistent in what he offers. In my trade Duke and one of our lesser DB's are just addons to the 2020 first rounder. 

I'm not questioning that part, but if you are the Jags do you accept that? Or look at it another way, would you trade Ward for Rawls, a DB not named Ramsey or Bouye and what will more than likely be a late 1st round pick?

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I'm not questioning that part, but if you are the Jags do you accept that? Or look at it another way, would you trade Ward for Rawls, a DB not named Ramsey or Bouye and what will more than likely be a late 1st round pick?

Based on their current situation I think they might. 

16 hours ago, jcam222 said:

You're positing a trade that's never going to happen. We could use a DB like Ramsey, but it would kill any remaining cap space. And we don't need Fournett.  Chubb + Hunt we're set at RB.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

You're positing a trade that's never going to happen. We could use a DB like Ramsey, but it would kill any remaining cap space. And we don't need Fournett.  Chubb + Hunt we're set at RB.

Likely right, note however my trade had nothing related to us getting Fournette. I believe at some point the Jags move on from him period. 

19 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Based on their current situation I think they might. 

I very strongly disagree. Remember, with more evidence from a AFC championship game, they were one of the teams talked about like Browns are this season. And they obviously didn't sign Foles to that big contract with expectations of rebuilding. 

Here is what I see, asking if it were the other way around if you/Browns would do it.

Browns get Ramsey (let's assume Browns make playoffs and lose in Wild Card round, thus highest possible pick for Jax)

Jax: Duke Johnson, Carrie, 21st pick in 2020 draft for Jalen Ramsey, 24 years old and 2x pro bowler with all 3 years of 16 starts 

Or if its flipped, assume Jax barely finished like Browns last year.

Cleveland gets Thomas Rawls or Yeldon, Cody Brown, and 17th pick in 2020 draft for Denzel Ward, 22 years old (in 2 weeks) 1x pro bowler with 12 starts and concerns expressed about concussions

None of that is to say that Ward won't continue on a great path and be just as good or better than Ramsey. But to think it's a good possibility of a team getting rid of their best player, who is still very young for backups and what will probably be a lower 1st seems to me like having homer colored glasses on

34 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I very strongly disagree. Remember, with more evidence from a AFC championship game, they were one of the teams talked about like Browns are this season. And they obviously didn't sign Foles to that big contract with expectations of rebuilding. 

Here is what I see, asking if it were the other way around if you/Browns would do it.

Browns get Ramsey (let's assume Browns make playoffs and lose in Wild Card round, thus highest possible pick for Jax)

Jax: Duke Johnson, Carrie, 21st pick in 2020 draft for Jalen Ramsey, 24 years old and 2x pro bowler with all 3 years of 16 starts 

Or if its flipped, assume Jax barely finished like Browns last year.

Cleveland gets Thomas Rawls or Yeldon, Cody Brown, and 17th pick in 2020 draft for Denzel Ward, 22 years old (in 2 weeks) 1x pro bowler with 12 starts and concerns expressed about concussions

None of that is to say that Ward won't continue on a great path and be just as good or better than Ramsey. But to think it's a good possibility of a team getting rid of their best player, who is still very young for backups and what will probably be a lower 1st seems to me like having homer colored glasses on

Fair points for sure. Most of my argument would only be valid if the Jags were both tired of Fournette and feel like they wont get Ramsey signed. All in all a pipe dream I suppose :) 

23 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Fair points for sure. Most of my argument would only be valid if the Jags were both tired of Fournette and feel like they wont get Ramsey signed. All in all a pipe dream I suppose :) 

I don't think either of those are that far off, I just don't think that would be the best they could do. IF they did get tired of Fournette, I think that if they had interest in Duke I think it would be in a backup role.

• 1 month later...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jaguars-cb-jalen-ramsey-says-he-wont-be-getting-contract-extension/ar-AACIRXJ?ocid=spartanntp

They should just trade us him. We'll give them Duke and a 3rd rounder in next years draft. We could even sweeten the deal if need be. But there is no sense in keeping him if they are already saying he won't receive a contract extension... he still has 2 years left on his rookie deal.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Didn't we just draft a CB?   (a projected 1st rounder)

Yeah, that's right, I almost forgot. Still. Ramsey would be a nice addition.