THE BROWNS BOARD

13 Biggest Draft Busts (and disappointments) in NFL History

Tour2ma

7 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Dodged a bullet with Trent .....getting that 1 back .....

True... but it was one of those win-lose deals Sashi pulled off that can hurt in the long run as discussed in the OBJ thread.

I suppose the list is accurate if you take into account top 5 draft status and recent history. I would have rated Jamarcus worse, many top 10 draft bust lists have him at #1.  But until we took Garrett as a no brainer pick, the Browns first round draft history since 1999 is atrocious. Only the Joes- Thomas and Haden stand out as pro bowl talent. 

I'll let Gipper research it if he has the time, but the double header bust of Gilbert and Manziel in the first has to be the all time multiple failure in the first round.... I've pointed out in other threads the Browns could have fielded a pro bowl roster with the talent that was still on the board when they drafted, and whiffed on. 

Apparently the NFL Draft started in the 1980s... 🙄

The picks of Tim Couch, Courtney Brown and Gerard Warren to start the Browns reboot crippled the team for a decade. (Along with every other stupid move they made)

Article is getting some blowback for Couch being on the list.

I tend to agree... Kid never had a chance.

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yep. They never gave Couch a damn thing to work with. Kevin Johnson (2nd round WR) was it. I always felt Couch should've sued the Browns for malpractice..After all, they did damn near get the kid killed!

Phipps?...I hated him in college & then we traded Paul Warfield for the "right" to draft that effin' worthless POS!!! I know...I shouldn't "beat around the bush".

Mike

Couch on this list is stupid. The Browns made the playoffs with him, then made the mistake of falling in love with Kelly Holcomb.Couch beat the Squealers in Pittsburgh on national television.

I wanted McNabb in 1999, but he would have been killed too. No offensive line during that time at all.

59 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It should. No way a guy with an almost 1:1 TD/Int ratio should be on anyone's list as one of the worst draft picks ever. Ridiculous.

But while he didn't have a great surrounding cast, I still have my doubts about how good he ever would be. I can't think of anything regarding his game that was above average. 

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It should. No way a guy with an almost 1:1 TD/Int ratio should be on anyone's list as one of the worst draft picks ever. Ridiculous.

But while he didn't have a great surrounding cast, I still have my doubts about how good he ever would be. I can't think of anything regarding his game that was above average. 

Agreed about Couch being average (or slightly above), but on the all time bust list? That's crazy!

Mike

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It’sSorry bad phone cell service down here in Southern Kentucky. I was saying that it’s bullshit that couch is on this list he took the Browns from a paper franchise to the playoffs in 3 to 4 years. Then he got hurt so it’s horse hockey

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Yep. They never gave Couch a damn thing to work with. Kevin Johnson (2nd round WR) was it. I always felt Couch should've sued the Browns for malpractice..After all, they did damn near get the kid killed!

Phipps?...I hated him in college & then we traded Paul Warfield for the "right" to draft that effin' worthless POS!!! I know...I shouldn't "beat around the bush".

Mike

Then where is David Carr on that list,#1 overall, and just because he was a hanger-on for a few more years? 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Might want to go back and take a second look at just how bad the Oline was for so long. 

That Sunday night blowout over the Steelers was a thing of beauty and something that showed Couch was capable of at least being above average when given time. 

12 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Might want to go back and take a second look at just how bad the Oline was for so long. 

That Sunday night blowout over the Steelers was a thing of beauty and something that showed Couch was capable of at least being above average when given time. 

One game tia. 

I still contend there was nothing about Couch that was special. Not his arm, his accuracy, his athleticism, his ability to dissect opposing defenses, or his ability to lead. IMO, his ceiling was an average to slightly-below average starting QB. (Which still puts him in the top 15-20 QBs in the NFL)

I mean, it's not like Baker Mayfield stepped into a ready-made playoff contender either. Those 2016 and 2017 Browns teams he inherited were as bad as the first years of the expansion Browns. 

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

One game tia. 

I still contend there was nothing about Couch that was special. Not his arm, his accuracy, his athleticism, his ability to dissect opposing defenses, or his ability to lead. IMO, his ceiling was an average to slightly-below average starting QB. (Which still puts him in the top 15-20 QBs in the NFL)

I mean, it's not like Baker Mayfield stepped into a ready-made playoff contender either. Those 2016 and 2017 Browns teams he inherited were as bad as the first years of the expansion Browns. 

Im not arguing couch would have been special.  Not in the least,  but I think he would have been effective.  Think like....  2014 Hoyer before Mack got hurt. 

And the 2018 oline and running game that Baker inherited is leaps and bounds better than anything Couch ever saw.  

A blowback article came out nominating JFF and Gilbert to take the places of Couch and Courtney Brown.

Seems reasonable to me.

Courtney Brown being on the "all time" list is a bit harsh IMO too. Dude was considered a lock top 5 pick and the Browns thought at least at the time to have had their QB. Brown had a solid rookie season but couldn't get out of his own way with injuries. I get at face value with dude being #1 overall, but someone like JFF is easily more of a bust than Brown, despite draft position.

I've got an old brain cell that's half awakened...

I know Brown had knee surgery and was never the same player, but didn't he also develop a staff infection after that surgery?

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I know Brown had knee surgery and was never the same player, but didn't he also develop a staff infection after that surgery?

Pretty sure that was LeCharles Bentley? 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Injuries did in his career, but I'm not aware of an infection. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Pretty sure that was LeCharles Bentley? 

It was indeed Bentley. He almost died. IIRC, the same thing happened to Joe Jurevicius. To this day I wonder if the spate of post op infections the Browns had at Cleveland Clinic was one of the reasons they switched to University Hospitals.

Archived