Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tour2ma

13 Biggest Draft Busts (and disappointments) in NFL History

Recommended Posts

Dodged a bullet with Trent .....getting that 1 back .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Dodged a bullet with Trent .....getting that 1 back .....

True... but it was one of those win-lose deals Sashi pulled off that can hurt in the long run as discussed in the OBJ thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darren15 said:

Dodged a bullet with Trent .....getting that 1 back .....

Oh don't worry - we sunk that 1 right back into Manziel.   Got a Mulligan and fucked it up anyway. 

Mod Edit:  beat me to it...  

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose the list is accurate if you take into account top 5 draft status and recent history. I would have rated Jamarcus worse, many top 10 draft bust lists have him at #1.  But until we took Garrett as a no brainer pick, the Browns first round draft history since 1999 is atrocious. Only the Joes- Thomas and Haden stand out as pro bowl talent. 

I'll let Gipper research it if he has the time, but the double header bust of Gilbert and Manziel in the first has to be the all time multiple failure in the first round.... I've pointed out in other threads the Browns could have fielded a pro bowl roster with the talent that was still on the board when they drafted, and whiffed on. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the NFL Draft started in the 1980s... 🙄

The picks of Tim Couch, Courtney Brown and Gerard Warren to start the Browns reboot crippled the team for a decade. (Along with every other stupid move they made)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article is getting some blowback for Couch being on the list.

I tend to agree... Kid never had a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Article is getting some blowback for Couch being on the list.

I tend to agree... Kid never had a chance.

Yep. They never gave Couch a damn thing to work with. Kevin Johnson (2nd round WR) was it. I always felt Couch should've sued the Browns for malpractice..After all, they did damn near get the kid killed!

Phipps?...I hated him in college & then we traded Paul Warfield for the "right" to draft that effin' worthless POS!!! I know...I shouldn't "beat around the bush".

Mike

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couch on this list is stupid. The Browns made the playoffs with him, then made the mistake of falling in love with Kelly Holcomb.Couch beat the Squealers in Pittsburgh on national television.

I wanted McNabb in 1999, but he would have been killed too. No offensive line during that time at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Article is getting some blowback for Couch being on the list.

I tend to agree... Kid never had a chance.

It should. No way a guy with an almost 1:1 TD/Int ratio should be on anyone's list as one of the worst draft picks ever. Ridiculous.

But while he didn't have a great surrounding cast, I still have my doubts about how good he ever would be. I can't think of anything regarding his game that was above average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It should. No way a guy with an almost 1:1 TD/Int ratio should be on anyone's list as one of the worst draft picks ever. Ridiculous.

But while he didn't have a great surrounding cast, I still have my doubts about how good he ever would be. I can't think of anything regarding his game that was above average. 

Agreed about Couch being average (or slightly above), but on the all time bust list? That's crazy!

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Article is getting some blowback for Couch being on the list.

I tend to agree... Kid never had a chance.

It’sSorry bad phone cell service down here in Southern Kentucky. I was saying that it’s bullshit that couch is on this list he took the Browns from a paper franchise to the playoffs in 3 to 4 years. Then he got hurt so it’s horse hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Yep. They never gave Couch a damn thing to work with. Kevin Johnson (2nd round WR) was it. I always felt Couch should've sued the Browns for malpractice..After all, they did damn near get the kid killed!

Phipps?...I hated him in college & then we traded Paul Warfield for the "right" to draft that effin' worthless POS!!! I know...I shouldn't "beat around the bush".

Mike

Then where is David Carr on that list,#1 overall, and just because he was a hanger-on for a few more years? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It should. No way a guy with an almost 1:1 TD/Int ratio should be on anyone's list as one of the worst draft picks ever. Ridiculous.

But while he didn't have a great surrounding cast, I still have my doubts about how good he ever would be. I can't think of anything regarding his game that was above average. 

Might want to go back and take a second look at just how bad the Oline was for so long. 

That Sunday night blowout over the Steelers was a thing of beauty and something that showed Couch was capable of at least being above average when given time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Might want to go back and take a second look at just how bad the Oline was for so long. 

That Sunday night blowout over the Steelers was a thing of beauty and something that showed Couch was capable of at least being above average when given time. 

One game tia. 

I still contend there was nothing about Couch that was special. Not his arm, his accuracy, his athleticism, his ability to dissect opposing defenses, or his ability to lead. IMO, his ceiling was an average to slightly-below average starting QB. (Which still puts him in the top 15-20 QBs in the NFL)

I mean, it's not like Baker Mayfield stepped into a ready-made playoff contender either. Those 2016 and 2017 Browns teams he inherited were as bad as the first years of the expansion Browns. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

One game tia. 

I still contend there was nothing about Couch that was special. Not his arm, his accuracy, his athleticism, his ability to dissect opposing defenses, or his ability to lead. IMO, his ceiling was an average to slightly-below average starting QB. (Which still puts him in the top 15-20 QBs in the NFL)

I mean, it's not like Baker Mayfield stepped into a ready-made playoff contender either. Those 2016 and 2017 Browns teams he inherited were as bad as the first years of the expansion Browns. 

 

Im not arguing couch would have been special.  Not in the least,  but I think he would have been effective.  Think like....  2014 Hoyer before Mack got hurt. 

And the 2018 oline and running game that Baker inherited is leaps and bounds better than anything Couch ever saw.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A blowback article came out nominating JFF and Gilbert to take the places of Couch and Courtney Brown.

Seems reasonable to me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Courtney Brown being on the "all time" list is a bit harsh IMO too. Dude was considered a lock top 5 pick and the Browns thought at least at the time to have had their QB. Brown had a solid rookie season but couldn't get out of his own way with injuries. I get at face value with dude being #1 overall, but someone like JFF is easily more of a bust than Brown, despite draft position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got an old brain cell that's half awakened...

I know Brown had knee surgery and was never the same player, but didn't he also develop a staff infection after that surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I've got an old brain cell that's half awakened...

I know Brown had knee surgery and was never the same player, but didn't he also develop a staff infection after that surgery?

Pretty sure that was LeCharles Bentley? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I've got an old brain cell that's half awakened...

I know Brown had knee surgery and was never the same player, but didn't he also develop a staff infection after that surgery?

Injuries did in his career, but I'm not aware of an infection. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Pretty sure that was LeCharles Bentley? 

It was indeed Bentley. He almost died. IIRC, the same thing happened to Joe Jurevicius. To this day I wonder if the spate of post op infections the Browns had at Cleveland Clinic was one of the reasons they switched to University Hospitals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×