THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pick At 49

darren15

Might not be picking 49

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Browns GM John Dorsey, who traded a 1st-round pick for Odell Beckham Jr., is considering trading back into the 1st round.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk on twitter we could go to 8 by offering Lions our 49, our 2nd and 3rd rounders next year and Duke Johnson ....... 

6 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Talk on twitter we could go to 8 by offering Lions our 49, our 2nd and 3rd rounders next year and Duke Johnson ....... 

THAT'S DEVIN WHITE TERRITORY!!!

THE DREAM LIVES!!!! banana.gif

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

THAT'S DEVIN WHITE TERRITORY!!!

THE DREAM LIVES!!!! banana.gif

Yes it does. But we may have to outbid someone like Miami who might also want to move up there to get ahead of Denver for Drew Lock.

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yes it does. But we may have to outbid someone like Miami who might also want to move up there to get ahead of Denver for Drew Lock.

But Denver might go up for Drew as well...

The rise of the QBs is how a D. White could fall to 8 or 10 or 12...

Don't put it past Dorsey to apparently overspend for the #8 and then trade down a slot or three, recoup some of his spend and still get his guy. I'd just hope that his guy is our guy...

At any rate it's getting interesting.

32 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

But Denver might go up for Drew as well...

The rise of the QBs is how a D. White could fall to 8 or 10 or 12...

Don't put it past Dorsey to apparently overspend for the #8 and then trade down a slot or three, recoup some of his spend and still get his guy. I'd just hope that his guy is our guy...

At any rate it's getting interesting.

Of course this is the crazy time of smoke and mirrors, so who knows. I just hope we find a way to get White. That guy is a difference maker right where we need him most. Just imagine him operating behind this line we now have. Gonna be tough to move the ball on us.

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I wouldn't mortgage our future for White. I'm on the record saying G. Pratt, K. Hodge, and T. Watson are just as good if not better.

Straight up vs. the run? I'd have to agree to varying extents with your take... especially in Pratt's case... barely in Watson's... with Hodge in the middle.

But add in coverage? That's where White separates himself IMO. For me it's his 3-down balance on the field that draws me to him... plus his raw speed which he translates quite well into impact.

But if we go 2nd tier, then I'd add one sneaky name to the end of your list... the gamecocks' Cam Smith. Right now he's a 2 -down guy who gets in position vs. the pass, but somehow just doesn't make the plays he's set to make.

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Straight up vs. the run? I'd have to agree to varying extents with your take... especially in Pratt's case... barely in Watson's... with Hodge in the middle.

But add in coverage? That's where White separates himself IMO. For me it's his 3-down balance on the field that draws me to him... plus his raw speed which he translates quite well into impact.

But if we go 2nd tier, then I'd add one sneaky name to the end of your list... the gamecocks' Cam Smith. Right now he's a 2 -down guy who gets in position vs. the pass, but somehow just doesn't make the plays he's set to make.

That's why I'm so high on Pratt, he converted from safety to LBer so he has experience in coverage. All 3 are better vs the run, they aren't freak athletes that jump off the screen. They are quicker to react, get in the gap, and tackle better. White has a ton of potential, but he also could be a bust. 

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Even with the Jets adding L.Bell, it's still being reported that 3 teams including the Jets have interest in Duke. Reported also is we have interest in Jets Darron Lee's coverage skills at LB..The Browns own pick 3.16 in 3rd..The Jets have no 2nd rounder, but own two 3rd rounders of 3.4 & 3.29..Am wondering if the Lee/Duke deal gets done with us flipping Jets picks in 3rd & not sure which way it flips? 

Oh I might not have made my point clear. I wouldn't be surprised if any team traded for Duke, but some others would need it more. I just think its unrealistic to think Duke nets you getting in the 1st round plus Douglas

Personally, I think he's just throwin' stuff out there so that everyone knows he's open for business, but actually has no 'real' intentions........of course if someone that they absolutely loved is sliding to the bottom of the round, all bets are off.

20 minutes ago, Orion said:

Personally, I think he's just throwin' stuff out there so that everyone knows he's open for business, but actually has no 'real' intentions........of course if someone that they absolutely loved is sliding to the bottom of the round, all bets are off.

Just read a CBS article saying basically what you did.

It quotes this exchange between JD and Schefter:

"Business as usual. That's the way it is," Dorsey said. "Who's to say I won't go up in the first round?"

"Might we see something there?" Schefter asked.

"You never know," Dorsey said. "My phone's open. They can give me a call."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-gm-john-dorsey-on-potentially-trading-back-into-the-first-round-my-phones-open/

I'm pretty sure if you're hot to move up, then you make the calls.

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

That's why I'm so high on Pratt, he converted from safety to LBer so he has experience in coverage. All 3 are better vs the run, they aren't freak athletes that jump off the screen. They are quicker to react, get in the gap, and tackle better. White has a ton of potential, but he also could be a bust. 

White was recruited to LSU as a star running back in HS and has that kind of athletic ability and speed. He is still learning to be a defensive player and he has the highest ceiling of all of them IMO. A good ILB coach can turn him into a monster. When he arrives, he hits.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

White was recruited to LSU as a star running back in HS and has that kind of athletic ability and speed. He is still learning to be a defensive player and he has the highest ceiling of all of them IMO. A good ILB coach can turn him into a monster. When he arrives, he hits.

I agree with all of that, but if I'm spending a high pick on a player they have to have the instincts to play the position. I love the upside but white could be the taylor Mays of the LBer position. We dont have a chance at him anyways if we do trade up it will be in the back end of the 1st. I could see a package of picks plus Duke to get to Green bays pick at 30.

I rule nothing out.

IMO, Dorsey is as creative in acquiring talent as Freddie is creative with his offense. I'm just enjoying the ride!

Mike

Trade it for a first rounder next year. That way we'll have 2 firsts next draft. Trade it with a struggling team so it'll be a high first. We are set, this year. trade the draft away and stockpile for next year. Time to reload.

30 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Trade it for a first rounder next year. That way we'll have 2 firsts next draft. Trade it with a struggling team so it'll be a high first. We are set, this year. trade the draft away and stockpile for next year. Time to reload.

1. I thought we were reloading.
  2. What else are you giving up for that future "high first"? Even discounting a round per year, pick #49 would only be a down payment on a top ten.

value3.jpg

On 4/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, darren15 said:

Might not be picking 49

More

Browns GM John Dorsey, who traded a 1st-round pick for Odell Beckham Jr., is considering trading back into the 1st round.

I wouldn't expect anything else. I think we will see movement between now and the end of round 1. And if not, I'm not to worried. Dorsey has proven to me that he's putting it all on the line to bring a Superbowl to Cleveland. 

The fact that no new trade has been made to date tells me  something is brewing for "during the draft". (now watch, they'll make a trade today. :P).

It never gets boring with JD.

Mike

46 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

The fact that no new trade has been made to date tells me  something is brewing for "during the draft".

Mike

I think you are right Mike. And a lot will depend on the TB pick @ #5 IMO. Several have them taking White right there, but who knows during smoke & mirrors time. 5 of the 6 pickers at NFL.com have him going to TB and that gets my attention. At CBSsports 3 of the 6 have him @ TB, 1 to NYG @#6 and 2 to Detroit @ #8.

If Dorsey does move up, I think they want a star cb. Just a dumb hunch. I don't believe they will move up high enough to get White.

It could be Nasir Adderly, a safety, but I think they will move him back to cb. He's a serious talent that

won't last, I think. Or, the guy I picked in my draft- Justin Layne, cb, if they don't move up and stay at 49.

Which means, they will pick an offensive tackle. LOL

My pick? still

Walter Football's rating - #7 OT, Trey Pipkins. With the cool Hobbit name.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php

Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls
Height: 6-6. Weight: 309. Arm: 33.88. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 5.12. 10-Yd: 1.75. Three Cone: 7.61.
Bench: 16. Vertical: 33.5. Broad: 9-6.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.

3/16/19: Pipkins was in the running with Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton as the best player at this year's East-West Shrine. The 6-foot-7, 307-pound Pipkins has good length and a nice build to him. He showed nice feet in the position drills, and also used his size, length, and strength to tie up edge rushers in the pass-rushing one-on-ones. Pipkins faces a big jump in competition, but after some developmental time as a backup, he could be a starter. After his strong week in St. Petersburg, team sources said they thought that Pipkins would be a second- or third-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

21 hours ago, trophyhill said:
More

Of course he is.  And he's considering NOT trading back into round 1.  And he's considering moving up in rnd 2...and not.  -  He's considering all options...including as to whether next year's draft class might be strong or weak.

Let's say that we wanted to trade back into round 1, say, pick 29 with KC.  We would have to give up our 2nd rnd pick, our 3rd rnd pick, and our fist 5th rounder.  (according to the draft value chart)  -  Or our 2nd, 3rd and Duke....    

I think trading into round 1 would require someone that they absolutely loved, sliding down the draft board towards the end of the round.  I place the odds as 'slim'.

-------------------------------------------------------

------  1st ever picture of a black hole was released around 9am this morning  --  way cool  --------

54 minutes ago, Orion said:

Let's say that we wanted to trade back into round 1, say, pick 29 with KC.  We would have to give up our 2nd rnd pick, our 3rd rnd pick, and our fist 5th rounder.  (according to the draft value chart)  -  Or our 2nd, 3rd and Duke....    

am seeing a lot of rumors of bundling Duke & Next years 1st rd pick..look at the teams below #20 that could use Duke..our 1st next season? 25th'ish?

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

am seeing a lot of rumors of bundling Duke & Next years 1st rd pick..look at the teams below #20 that could use Duke..our 1st next season? 25th'ish?

I would only consider that if they think next years class is not as good as this years ......

8 hours ago, darren15 said:

I would only consider that if they think next years class is not as good as this years ......

Dunno, darren... JD seems determined to push all his chips into the middle for 2019, even if it takes two years for the team to gel and contend for a deep playoff run.

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

am seeing a lot of rumors of bundling Duke & Next years 1st rd pick.

What trade value does Duke really have?   If you were to trade him straight up for a draft pick, what round do you think you could get from somebody?  I think you'd be lucky to get a 4th.

23 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Dunno, darren... JD seems determined to push all his chips into the middle for 2019, even if it takes two years for the team to gel and contend for a deep playoff run.

Sometimes when you have a pair of Aces there comes a point when you say, "All in!" and hope no one cracks them. Dorsey has 'em and this is the time. Go get the LB!

Archived