THE BROWNS BOARD

Deficit rises $94 billion to $693 billion for first half of the year, budget office estimates

jbluhm86

5 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

We are in serious trouble with debt. The train is headed for a wreck and nobody seems able or willing to stop it. It started under Bush Jr. and Obama took over from there with Trump inheriting over 20 trillion in debt so to lay this all at the feet of Trump is disingenuous at best.

"All of this" would be disingenuous. However, since you guys on the right put the blame for the debt growth during Obama's presidential tenure on him, then it logically follows that debt accumulated under Trump's watch be placed on him. And the debt under Trump is on pace to match Obama's; which is interesting since, as you and other's mentioned, Obama's debt was accrued during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression while Trump is accumulating debt at nearly the same rate during a time when the markets are booming.

Yet, while there was much gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes about the debt during Obama's term, the Right has been oddly sanguine about the same pace of debt accumulation under Trump. 🤔

*Daniel Horowitz is the Senior Editor at Conservative Review.

4 hours ago, Gorka said:

That's not it at all, he was pointing out the hypocrisy.

Haven't we already been through this with you before?

We have watched deflection from the main negative points about Trump from most of you since day one. Any time anything negative gets said about him off you go to Obama or Hillarity. When that doesn't work you resort to name calling just like your buddy cal who never keeps his promises to stop.

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We have watched deflection from the main negative points about Trump from most of you since day one. Any time anything negative gets said about him off you go to Obama or Hillarity. When that doesn't work you resort to name calling just like your buddy cal who never keeps his promises to stop.

And using a fake term like deflection kind of, deflects from the main point which is the candidate you voted for would more than likely be worse.

(I would never vote for a Charles Nelson Reilly, because he's gay! I'm voting for Andy Dick!)

WSS

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Those glittering generalities would be a start provided you mean things like....

- Terms limits for Congress including post-office benefit packages

- Audits and restrictions on personal investments/divestment requirements when taking office at state and federal level

- Tighter discretionary and mandatory funding + audits

- A complete revision of the IRS including holding local, state and federal auditors and offices.

- Actual criminal pursuits for gross miss-use of funds regardless of the level of government.

- Overhaul of the military budget, schools and public funded university budgets targeting the inflation of middle tier administration, leadership and command.   No, I don't mean pay raises, health care and shit like BAH (which has already happened)  .  Trump went after the F-35 program, which was a great start and I applaud him for that.  (in for Cal storms through this thread with BUT WE'LL HAVE A MILITARY DEFEAT BY RUSSIA - No, we won't. And especially after his claims that we have two leaders who are now working towards a more friendly future)   

An article here details some of those things.   Some I agree with, others not so much.   https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/defense/plan-cut-military-spending

I mean, I could post two full pages.   But my ideas are far from general.

I seriously hope I see term limits in Congress before I kick the bucket.

IMO, the 4 or 8 year terms spent by Presidents pale in comparison to the 40 to 50 years spent by some corrupt congressmen (or congresswoman).

I would welcome some new faces along with some fresh ideas, which would come with a turnover on Capital Hill.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Those glittering generalities would be a start provided you mean things like....

- Terms limits for Congress including post-office benefit packages

- Audits and restrictions on personal investments/divestment requirements when taking office at state and federal level

- Tighter discretionary and mandatory funding + audits

- A complete revision of the IRS including holding local, state and federal auditors and offices.

- Actual criminal pursuits for gross miss-use of funds regardless of the level of government.

- Overhaul of the military budget, schools and public funded university budgets targeting the inflation of middle tier administration, leadership and command.   No, I don't mean pay raises, health care and shit like BAH (which has already happened)  .  Trump went after the F-35 program, which was a great start and I applaud him for that.  (in for Cal storms through this thread with BUT WE'LL HAVE A MILITARY DEFEAT BY RUSSIA - No, we won't. And especially after his claims that we have two leaders who are now working towards a more friendly future)   

An article here details some of those things.   Some I agree with, others not so much.   https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/defense/plan-cut-military-spending

I mean, I could post two full pages.   But my ideas are far from general.

Well some of those things are pretty vague but I don't expect anything passing unless a party with the balls to do it had a huge 65% or more majority in both houses and the presidency. I don't think term limits are going to be the Panacea that so many people think they will be. It will be just like the NFL draft oh, the old Nancy Pelosi will be replaced by the new Nancy Pelosi. But remember representing a constituency is a pretty sweet lucrative an easy job and how to be 535 or so we have I would bet 500 at least are just as dumb has Cortez without the notoriety or charisma.

And you can't name one entitlement or one program they can have its growth "slashed" by .05% the won't elicit A Chorus of screaming about whatever special interest is getting a kickback from it.

WSS

"All of this" would be disingenuous. However, since you guys on the right put the blame for the debt growth during Obama's presidential tenure on him, then it logically follows that debt accumulated under Trump's watch be placed on him. And the debt under Trump is on pace to match Obama's; which is interesting since, as you and other's mentioned, Obama's debt was accrued during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression while Trump is accumulating debt at nearly the same rate during a time when the markets are booming.

Yet, while there was much gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes about the debt during Obama's term, the Right has been oddly sanguine about the same pace of debt accumulation under Trump. 🤔

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you read my post I first put the blame on Bush Jr. who ran up 10 trillion of debt. Obama only added gasoline to the fire and the national debt rose to 20 trillion under his watch. The excuse making for Obama doesn't fly. Whatever debt accumulates under Trump he will own it like Bush Jr and Obama (and no excuse making for Obama).

And as someone else posted (and nobody disputed it), it seems like both parties are only concerned about the debt when they are out of power and are criticizing the party in power. BTW  - Mr. Obama was highly critical of the rise in the national debt under Bush Jr. saying Bush was "selling out our children to China". That was when we were only 10 trillion in debt, under Obama it went up to 20 trillion but I guess he didn't care about selling out our children to China when he was president.

12 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I seriously hope I see term limits in Congress before I kick the bucket.

IMO, the 4 or 8 year terms spent by Presidents pale in comparison to the 40 to 50 years spent by some corrupt congressmen (or congresswoman).

I would welcome some new faces along with some fresh ideas, which would come with a turnover on Capital Hill.

I don't believe the Founders of the country ever wanted career politicians.  We have ill informed and ignorant voters who will continually vote back in office inept incompetent career politicians and term limits is the only way to stop it. 

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I don't believe the Founders of the country ever wanted career politicians.  We have ill informed and ignorant voters who will continually vote back in office inept incompetent career politicians and term limits is the only way to stop it. 

Unfortunately...I believe you’re right.

12 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Funny, I don’t recall you posting any of these deficit articles during Obammy’s reign.

Biased much?

Conversely, I do recall numerous threads and comments from the more right-leaning members on the board having conniption fits over the debt accumulated during Obama's "reign", yet those same voices have mysteriously fallen silent about almost the same rate and amount of debt accumulated during Trump's "reign".

Biased much? Sure, to an extent. Most people are. But bias is a two way street, it seems.

Archived