THE BROWNS BOARD

BROWNS SIGN MORGAN BURNETT

darren15

47 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Browns looking to sign Morgan Burnett  if he is cut by Steelers according to 3 stories on twitter ....

Been up a couple of days.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Cleveland-Browns-Steelers-release-Morgan-Burnett-130675016/

43 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again....will they look for a veteran  SS....like this guy....or will they draft one?

Or both? In the end, is about possibilities and a 90 man roster (for now), no? So you keep filling holes and that way you are not screwed if your precious draft prospect doesn't fall into your laps. 

It's not like we are only one SS away from being contenders, if you have possibilities you can decide how to patch your holes when the cards (im the Draft) are on the table.

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again....will they look for a veteran  SS....like this guy....or will they draft one?

Is he the best  FA SS still on the market?

Tre Boston or Berry seems more like a likely option... I guess we'll see...

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Or both? In the end, is about possibilities and a 90 man roster (for now), no? So you keep filling holes and that way you are not screwed if your precious draft prospect doesn't fall into your laps. 

It's not like we are only one SS away from being contenders, if you have possibilities you can decide how to patch your holes when the cards (im the Draft) are on the table.

What do you identify as our holes?

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Tre Boston or Berry seems more like a likely option... I guess we'll see...

Boston has ties to Wilks, but we already have a FS, so doubt Berry's a solution there despite the Dorsey tie. Burnett would be a good signing as well, altho he is 30, was drafted by Green Bay while Dorsey was director of college scouting.

Am waiting for a former Waterboy or Janitor to get fired from Dorsey's past to make the media hit list.🥁.Morgan is 30 & reported good against the run. Coverage wheels could be coming off & if ya can't make the Steelers secondary in 1 season what are ya really getting? Take it from me, I only watch them steelqueens twice per year..Yack!! 

Just now, gumby73 said:

Am waiting for a former Waterboy or Janitor to get fired from Dorsey's past to make the media hit list.🥁.Morgan is 30 & reported good against the run. Coverage wheels could be coming off & if ya can't make the Steelers secondary in 1 season what are ya really getting? Take it from me, I only watch them steelqueens twice per year..Yack!! 

Fair point.   Steeler defensive backfield has been terrible.  Do we need a refugee from a terrible defensive backfield?

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

if ya can't make the Steelers secondary in 1 season what are ya really getting?

well, he was signed as SS...they drafted edwards later, so they pushed burnett to dime linebacker.  this is why he asked for his release, similar to HGHarrison, he signed based on a bill of goods he was sold, and that abruptly changed after the draft.  

no advocating burnett over boston, but judging burnett on one year playing outta position on a bad defense hardly seems fair considering he produced in green bay.

The GB connection lives!

I'd forgotten Burnett was a Steeler last season...

51 minutes ago, Zombo said:

So sounds like maybe a rotational system at SS again? Burnett as the "Box" safety (There;s your thumper, Tour) and Murray as the "coverage" safety?

Yup.... except Burnett has better coverage grades from PFF.

Step in the right direction...

... but I'd rather have Burnett and Kindred and Ogbah... ;)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The GB connection lives!

I'd forgotten Burnett was a Steeler last season...

Yup.... except Burnett has better coverage grades from PFF.

Step in the right direction...

... but I'd rather have Burnett and Kindred and Ogbah... ;)

I think Burnett is an upgrade from Kindred and Murray was more needed than Ogbah.

Not sure we had a role for Oggie anymore, we signed a starter at his position this year and drafted Chad Thomas to develop last year ... what were we going to do with him? Seems we got a decent player for him.

Zombo

Posted again because it appears it wasn't read the first time.

Murray is a backup at best.

"Murray has mostly struggled along with the Chiefs’ defense over the past two years, allowing a 103.6 passer rating into his coverage and committing nine penalties"

We traded one backup who is barely tolerable for another backup who is barely tolerable.  Ogbah is on a cheaper contract [1.3 vs 2].

Seriously, stop with the "murray is decent" nonsense.  Decent, for murray, is him playing out of his mind.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

So sounds like maybe a rotational system at SS again? Burnett as the "Box" safety (There;s your thumper, Tour) and Murray as the "coverage" safety?

Zombo

Burnett is a better coverage guy than Murray. Murray is the new kindred while Burnett is a guy who can tackle and cover reliably. I like Morgan Burnett and his body of work a lot and he played with Randall in Green Bay. Better than peppers as a safety no doubt. Imagine the potent 3 somes with pretty chicks that these dudes are gonna have being the same position and ex teammates

52 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Posted again because it appears it wasn't read the first time.

Murray is a backup at best.

"Murray has mostly struggled along with the Chiefs’ defense over the past two years, allowing a 103.6 passer rating into his coverage and committing nine penalties"

We traded one backup who is barely tolerable for another backup who is barely tolerable.  Ogbah is on a cheaper contract [1.3 vs 2].

Seriously, stop with the "murray is decent" nonsense.  Decent, for murray, is him playing out of his mind.

He was also a guy playing out of position. Forgive me if I don't label him prior to actually seeing him play....

5 hours ago, darren15 said:

Browns to sign safety Morgan Burnett ...... details to come

Was that Morgan Freeman or Carol Burnett?  :D   Actually another Dorsey connection here.... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025456/article/browns-signing-exsteelers-safety-morgan-burnett

Looks like we are going to be adding someone else soon ....... no names mentioned but Lane on twitter a Browns insider who has called every deal so far says imminent

7 hours ago, choco said:

He was also a guy playing out of position. Forgive me if I don't label him prior to actually seeing him play....

Roughly...

• 50% of his 2018 snaps were at FS...
  • 25% at SS...
  • 10% at CB...
  • 15% on STs...

So in which one is he "out of position"?

6 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

instead of a case of michelob like was expected?

Aww geeze.   One of the few beers that I actually like.  (the dark Michelob)

On 4/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, choco said:

well, he was signed as SS...they drafted edwards later, so they pushed burnett to dime linebacker.  this is why he asked for his release, similar to HGHarrison, he signed based on a bill of goods he was sold, and that abruptly changed after the draft.  

no advocating burnett over boston, but judging burnett on one year playing outta position on a bad defense hardly seems fair considering he produced in green bay.

Here's to hoping that choco from the da burgh has this ^^^ right..Makes some players sense..  

Archived