THE BROWNS BOARD

Backup QB?

7 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

If Baker goes down for only 3-4 games it will still be crucial for the season to have a viable backup. Are there any good options though?

As you called Randall an average safety in the Ogbah thread maybe we can trade him for Kizer

• Upvote 2

Why not take a flier on cardale Jones? He’s from Cleveland. It’s not like there’s any much better options at backup quarterback anyhow. He can compete with drew stanton for that ever important job. Somewhat fast strong and athletic. He has a cannon for an arm and long thick base to avoid injury. He’s just entering his prime and has nfl experience behind him now but hasn’t gotten much opportunity to compete yet. The chargers probably don’t view him as Phillip rivers successor. Let’s get fat face in orange and brown

3FC7B638-3FE1-409A-843D-CBBA935AC298.png

15 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

So drew stanton? I like Daniel jones in the 2nd 

Hilarious 🤡🤡🤡, you would blow a 2 nd round pick on a back up QB 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡 there are a lot more pressing needs   CB   LB  S   

Stanton is the back-up.  He has a winning record when he has started games.  

We will draft a QB at some point in the draft, though if we do so in the 2nd round, I might hang myself from my deck.

• Upvote 1

I'd take Toledo's former QB Woodside or Gilbert who led the AAF in QB stats..Good chance they'd both make it to PS. And would think, they all become FA's to any* NFL team..  

If Baker gets hurt early and is out for the year than I don’t despise bringing in a Colin kaepernicky for a few game try out sample. Probably would trade for someone though. The only other options would be a mid to late round rookie quarterback. There’s no free agent quarterbacks left besides osweiler kaepernickwand mark sanchez. 

23 minutes ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

If Baker gets hurt early and is out for the year than I don’t despise bringing in a Colin kaepernicky for a few game try out sample.  

queen chud, you missed april fools day by 2 full days..btw Kap ended up in Miami that day..1) WTF is up with you?  1Bui.gif   2) seek help sicko!    

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

queen chud, you missed april fools day by 2 full days..btw Kap ended up in Miami that day..1) WTF is up with you?  1Bui.gif   2) seek help sicko!    

He's still a FA, AFAIK.  If he was such a hot backup prospect he would already have been signed- for vet minimum somewhere. The Dolphins have Fitzpatrick- and a lot of nothing behind him, if they don't want him in as competition, no team will after Colin sat out a couple years. 

Regarding Cardale Jones, the Chargers resigned him on a one year contract for vet minimum. I suppose if Dorsey wanted him, he could be had for a 2020 7th round pick.  :D And this coming from a guy who thought "Fail for Cardale" was a good idea. Well, turns out my idea there was dead wrong. 

There isn't anybody out there right now that I'd take over Stanton. As far as veteran QBs, I think we are done until final cuts, when we see what is out there versus Stanton. But I do think we will bring in two young arms, one perhaps in the late draft and one off the street.

Zombo

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

How about that kid from the AAF.  He needs a job.

Pretty interesting idea - later round pick - that could actually happen maybe.

Garrett Gilbert, QB, Orlando Apollos

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/03/14/garrett-gilbert-orlando-apollos-aaf-texas-longhorns

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

There isn't anybody out there right now that I'd take over Stanton. As far as veteran QBs, I think we are done until final cuts, when we see what is out there versus Stanton. But I do think we will bring in two young arms, one perhaps in the late draft and one off the street.

Been saying Stanton for a while. And we will absolutely add a late pick or UDFA who can be parked on a PS.

However, if we want to spend a roster spot on a young vet who is capable of going .500 over a four-game substitute stint...

... don't laugh...

... the best option I see out there is...

... I'm being serious...

... The Brockmeister.

The dude went 2-3 in 5 starts for MIA last season completing 63.5% for 6 TDs vs 4 INTs.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Brock SUCKS!!  That’s why!

:D But we're talking relative levels of suckiness here. He probably sucks less than other options. Unless you would want to roll the political backlash dice on old Colin Take a Knee.  

Whatever happened to that local kid , Roback we had in camp last season.. He did pretty darn good...

39 minutes ago, nickers said:

Whatever happened to that local kid , Roback we had in camp last season.. He did pretty darn good...

Steelers signed him....damnit!

Mike 

42 minutes ago, nickers said:

Moved east.... to Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, 7moses7 said:

Brock SUCKS!!  That’s why!

So.... anybody, but Osweiler.... got it.

Brock's not "the guy".... we don't need him to be "the guy"... just the fill-in as needed who can steal a win here and there and doesn't eff up Stanton's mentorship of Baker... and he can do that. Better than any other FA I see out there.