THE BROWNS BOARD

Minimum expectations for the upcoming season,?

Clevfan4life

2 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

Cleveland will finish below the Steelers and ravens the next two years it is what it is 

How do you know that have you swallowed the Steelers and the ravens come so much that is going to your brain you know it’s kind a like up to your eyeballs.  Both of those teams are diminished from last year in my opinion where is the Browns are significantly improved

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

The problem is if they stay completely healthy they’re an 8-8 team at best right now. They went 7-9 because they snuck up on some teams who didn’t take them as serious as they will this year. They’re not the laughing stock anymore but they are still middle of the pack. I’m not being a Debbie downer just calling it how I see it. I think they go 6-10 without a big injury bug. Their o line is the worst since 2006. The secondary isn’t good. Their extremely young- a players prime is 24-28, baker,Chubb,Calloway,njoku,corbett,Myles,ogunjobi,ward and others are all like 22 years old.  Young teams never just hop on and make a deep playoff and super bowl run like that. It never happens and they will go 8-8 at best 

Again I just think that you are underestimating the actual talent on this team in comparison to the other teams in the division in the other teams in the AFC. Do they have weaknesses in a few spots sure. Can they bolster  those positions   absolutely with a couple more signings and the draft but even if they didn’t get an infusion of talent anymore than they have now I still think they will be challenging for top spots all around 

3 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

The problem is if they stay completely healthy they’re an 8-8 team at best right now. They went 7-9 because they snuck up on some teams who didn’t take them as serious as they will this year. They’re not the laughing stock anymore but they are still middle of the pack. I’m not being a Debbie downer just calling it how I see it. I think they go 6-10 without a big injury bug. Their o line is the worst since 2006. The secondary isn’t good. Their extremely young- a players prime is 24-28, baker,Chubb,Calloway,njoku,corbett,Myles,ogunjobi,ward and others are all like 22 years old.  Young teams never just hop on and make a deep playoff and super bowl run like that. It never happens and they will go 8-8 at best 

I'll let you see it that way then. It's certainly a minority opinion. But- you don't "sneak up" on teams- once the Browns dumped the Hubatross as HC they went on a 5-3 roll, and you can bet every opposing coach duly noted Cleveland was on a roll. 

Regarding extremely young- and it never happens? Har, wrong. Ever take a look at the Ram's roster? I just did. Overall about the same age as the Browns.     https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2018-edition/    Cleveland 2nd youngest, Rams 4th youngest (0.2 years older)  They had three guys on the high side of 30, Suh, Talib, and Whitworth. AND THEY MADE THE FREAKING SUPER BOWL.  If you think that was a fluke, the year before that (2017) the Rams had the second youngest team in the NFL,  went 11-5 and made the playoffs. 

nah - with the draft added in, and FA improvements -

this year, the weaknesses will be made strengths..

the sky is the limit, but I expect 12-4, with 4 close accidents/missed field goals, whatever.

If I'm gonna dream, I'm dreaming big.

11 minutes ago, crstphr2 said:

8-9 wins is realistic.

Remember,

We were 1-6-1 vs teams with a winning record and 1-5 against playoff teams.

There are "next steps" to be taken still.

I suppose if you want to look at it that way. The schedule sets up very favorably for the Browns. With the only "on paper" really tough games being the Rams at home and Patriots on the road. 

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

nah - with the draft added in, and FA improvements -

this year, the weaknesses will be made strengths..

the sky is the limit, but I expect 12-4, with 4 close accidents/missed field goals, whatever.

If I'm gonna dream, I'm dreaming big.

10 wins minimum Cal? Really- Cardinals, 49ers, Broncos, Bills, Jets, the tanking Dolphins at home, Bengals twice. We were 5-3 the last 8 games = 10-6 this year, and went 3-2-1 in the division without the off season infusion of talent. Anything less than a playoff appearance will be a disappointment. Keep everyone healthy, and I can almost buy your 12-4. 

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

10 wins minimum Cal? Really- Cardinals, 49ers, Broncos, Bills, Jets, the tanking Dolphins at home, Bengals twice. We were 5-3 the last 8 games = 10-6 this year, and went 3-2-1 in the division without the off season infusion of talent. Anything less than a playoff appearance will be a disappointment. Keep everyone healthy, and I can almost buy your 12-4. 

Most of us have been dreamin of a playoff appearance for a long time.  I'm encouraged to dream bigger by Joe Thomas, ...always.

Maybe if we all dream bigger... ?

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/could-joe-thomas-be-contemplating-a-return-to-the-browns/95-03d00202-3729-4a6b-bdfd-583f70551d45

"Whether or not Thomas would consider unretiring for a run at something he was unable to achieve in his 11 years with the club, a trip to the postseason, is a decision up to him and his family, but that did not stop him from enjoying the moment.

After having just one winning season in his Browns career, Thomas relished in the fact that the team seems to be moving in a positive direction, one that may allow it to compete for an AFC North Division Championship and a long postseason run.

“It’s going to be an incredible year, and all I can say is, when you look at this roster, there are no holes,” Thomas said on NFL Total Access after the deal was reported. “Can you say that about maybe five teams in the NFL? Maybe.

“You look across the board, especially at those important positions, quarterback, receiver down the field, receiver underneath, offensive line, running back, defensive line, there’s no holes.”

Just one more year, Joe??? A few more games? Let the Browns win the Division, and I'd LOVE to see Joe Thomas go out there for the final snap at least ! You heard it here first. maybe. lol.

43 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Most of us have been dreamin of a playoff appearance for a long time.  I'm encouraged to dream bigger by Joe Thomas, ...always.

Maybe if we all dream bigger... ?

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/could-joe-thomas-be-contemplating-a-return-to-the-browns/95-03d00202-3729-4a6b-bdfd-583f70551d45

"Whether or not Thomas would consider unretiring for a run at something he was unable to achieve in his 11 years with the club, a trip to the postseason, is a decision up to him and his family, but that did not stop him from enjoying the moment.

After having just one winning season in his Browns career, Thomas relished in the fact that the team seems to be moving in a positive direction, one that may allow it to compete for an AFC North Division Championship and a long postseason run.

“It’s going to be an incredible year, and all I can say is, when you look at this roster, there are no holes,” Thomas said on NFL Total Access after the deal was reported. “Can you say that about maybe five teams in the NFL? Maybe.

“You look across the board, especially at those important positions, quarterback, receiver down the field, receiver underneath, offensive line, running back, defensive line, there’s no holes.”

Just one more year, Joe??? A few more games? Let the Browns win the Division, and I'd LOVE to see Joe Thomas go out there for the final snap at least ! You heard it here first. maybe. lol.

Nah, it's a nice thought, but Joe returning isn't going to happen. There was another article detailing how Thomas had to almost force feed himself to keep up that 300+ pound bulk. Too much work and effort to regain it. 

On a related issue I've been fortunate enough to meet Doug Dieken a couple of times at Browns Backers functions, and it's the same thing. As soon as he stopped playing, he de-bulked. He's a big guy, but you would never guess that he was once  a 300 or so pound offensive tackle.

You almost have to go that route once you stop playing, or else it's an early trip to the cemetery.

16 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

Plausible argument at the end of a a long trail of disagreement fueled by talking past one another... mostly by others.

Here are the issues I have with your analysis:

1. On paper we are better than our 2018 version.
  2. The youth we have has its 2018 season under its collective belt.
  3. While young, we will not be getting appreciably younger given the nature of the deals we've made and the reduction of our draft pick total to relatively "normal" levels.
  4. Baker... for your prognostication to materialize Mayfield will have to suffer the dreaded, sophomore slump... and I do not see that happening.

I expect to see us improve upon our 2018 record.

I believe doing so will net us a playoff spot.

Any playoff success will just be gravy...

3 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

We simply cant fuck around with this "window". 

You mean except for firing the entire staff should we stumble... :ph34r:

This window has just cracked open... we have years to open it wide.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nah, it's a nice thought, but Joe returning isn't going to happen. There was another article detailing how Thomas had to almost force feed himself to keep up that 300+ pound bulk. Too much work and effort to regain it. 

On a related issue I've been fortunate enough to meet Doug Dieken a couple of times at Browns Backers functions, and it's the same thing. As soon as he stopped playing, he de-bulked. He's a big guy, but you would never guess that he was once  a 300 or so pound offensive tackle.

You almost have to go that route once you stop playing, or else it's an early trip to the cemetery.

Oh, I know. But I seriously think he should get into the line up in the game when they win the division - even for just one snap.

Because? I respect him so much - hell, everybody does. Or maybe in a playoff game. Superbowl? I would personally want to see him take just one snap after the game is decided. I know he can't bulk back up again. But just to take the field in uniform just one more snap. LOL. He'll get a superbowl ring anyways.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:38 PM, Tour2ma said:

You mean except for firing the entire staff should we stumble... :ph34r:

This window has just cracked open... we have years to open it wide.

u sure about that?  im no expert on contracts hut onve we have to.pay myles and baker...things will shrink up. Andbur forgetting obj could tbrow a tantrum at any point in time he oerceives a lesser talent getting more money than him.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:04 PM, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

No good sir I do not have an ego problem, perhaps I miscommunicated, my English is what you call inelegant. 

Also im not sure or concerned who moderates or has been here and im just trying to explain to people to have a little humility regarding the Browns recent somewhat success. When they go 7-9 and 8-8 the year after you men will understand 

Listen up Mr. Troll, there is a difference in curbing enthusiasm and thinking some of the stuff is overhyped and just saying things to make people mad.

You obviously do have an ego problem, as the 1st thing you said once moderator was said is that you should be one, obviously saying you can do a better job.

You also saying you "know" where anyone will finish isnt fact. That is speculation. 

You have also recently said that Justin Gilbert should be starting in NFL or something like that, yet talking bad about others.

As Hoorta was saying, there are certainly people here who know A LOT. I'm one of them, not specifically about the Browns, about the Xs and Os of the game. So anytime you want to have that kind of talk, and try and show how much you really know (or probably dont know), I am all ears. But don't come around acting like you know more than somebody else because you will get set straight REALLY fast

I expect the team is going to struggle with occasional flashes of greatness.  Takes us 6 games to get it sorted out and we finish strong and end up 10 and 6...we beat the teams we should and struggle against better teams.

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

I expect the team is going to struggle with occasional flashes of greatness.  Takes us 6 games to get it sorted out and we finish strong and end up 10 and 6...we beat the teams we should and struggle against better teams.

Unless you have a juggernaut- that's the way it works. Beat the teams you're supposed to beat, and split with the playoff teams... 

If our resident Steeler troll is lurking- that's what kept Pittsburg out of the playoffs. Losing to teams they were supposed to beat. 

With the last 20 years of crap play.  Listing to player interviewers,.  I have high hopes. As long as all egos are in check.  We have the division and playoffs.  Dare I say Superbowl.

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Dare I say Superbowl.

im not with u there. Plsyoffs are a different beast. But we have to be in the playoffs this year so that our guys "get it". If we're in the playoffs this year "im good" with whatever happens. Cause i KNOW the following year  the road to the SB goes through Cleveland. Bank it. 

i will not hold this team, with a first time coach and a plethora of pieces that need to be fed...to any lofty playoff demands. But business needs to be handled in the division, PERIOD. Theres no excuse for not winningbthe division. 

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

im not with u there. Plsyoffs are a different beast.

Agree...Team got a taste of winning in 2018.They learned how to win... and that they can win.

2019 will be about learning to win important game(s) and getting into the playoff mix.

And should we gain entry into the post-season, then there the learning starts all over again. If we can host a WC Weekend game... and win it, then we will be ahead of schedule in my book.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, Gunz41 said:

Listen up Mr. Troll, there is a difference in curbing enthusiasm and thinking some of the stuff is overhyped and just saying things to make people mad.

You obviously do have an ego problem, as the 1st thing you said once moderator was said is that you should be one, obviously saying you can do a better job.

You also saying you "know" where anyone will finish isnt fact. That is speculation. 

You have also recently said that Justin Gilbert should be starting in NFL or something like that, yet talking bad about others.

As Hoorta was saying, there are certainly people here who know A LOT. I'm one of them, not specifically about the Browns, about the Xs and Os of the game. So anytime you want to have that kind of talk, and try and show how much you really know (or probably dont know), I am all ears. But don't come around acting like you know more than somebody else because you will get set straight REALLY fast

But you’re missing the whole point. First off I’m a 17 year old that can tell is on par with most of you as far as knowledge and x and o’s and all around insight. I said it was bull poop I’m not a moderator as a sheer joke. However you’re ego reared itself as way more profound a long time ago. Oh well. 

I did come on here aggressive about how I disagree with most that the browns will have a winning record. But I didn’t have a feel yet that this board is just shared by ppl who know each other for the most part. Still you’re a piece of work but best of luck in life 

4 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

But you’re missing the whole point. First off I’m a 17 year old that can tell is on par with most of you as far as knowledge and x and o’s and all around insight. I said it was bull poop I’m not a moderator as a sheer joke. However you’re ego reared itself as way more profound a long time ago. Oh well. 

For being born in 2002, your choice of forum handle is ... not something I would expect from a high school junior.

48 minutes ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

I did come on here aggressive about how I disagree with most that the browns will have a winning record. But I didn’t have a feel yet that this board is just shared by ppl who know each other for the most part. Still you’re a piece of work but best of luck in life 

As far as the bold goes- you just think you do. There's plenty of guys on this forum who have followed the Browns since the late 50s. Ran Browns Backers clubs. If you think your football knowledge matches up with theirs- you're full- of yourself. 

If your age is what you say it is- there's guys here who have coached HS football players your age. Extremely annoying for you to have the attitude "I know more than the coach does".  

To quote Mark Twain...  “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in 7 years.” 

1 hour ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

Which means I have coached kids way older than you. 

Again, put you knowledge down then.

Some of the people on here are very good friends. As for me, never met a single one of them. And you must just troll and not read, because I have said many times that people should curb their enthusiasm.

So since you think you know so much, go ahead and defend your position that Ward is around average, and the secondary is below average but think Justin Gilbert should start

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

As far as the bold goes- you just think you do. There's plenty of guys on this forum who have followed the Browns since the late 50s. Ran Browns Backers clubs. If you think your football knowledge matches up with theirs- you're full- of yourself. 

If your age is what you say it is- there's guys here who have coached HS football players your age. Extremely annoying for you to have the attitude "I know more than the coach does".  

To quote Mark Twain...  “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in 7 years.” 

I can't believe you guys have not figured this out yet. Ghoolie has come back as a 17 y.o. know it all and he still knows nothing about football other than his usual baiting. Welcome back Tom!😂😂

18 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can't believe you guys have not figured this out yet. Ghoolie has come back as a 17 y.o. know it all and he still knows nothing about football other than his usual baiting. Welcome back Tom!😂😂

If true, then it's a new, improved version minus (most of) the self-aggrandizing bullshit...

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

If true, then it's a new, improved version minus (most of) the self-aggrandizing bullshit...

Au contraire. LOL!😜

4 hours ago, Rob_chudzinksi2000 said:

But you’re missing the whole point. First off I’m a 17 year old that can tell is on par with most of you as far as knowledge and x and o’s and all around insight.

Archived