THE BROWNS BOARD

Owners make pass interference, non-calls reviewable

D Bone

So the owners voted to have offensive and defensive pass interference as a part of the reply system. So now on every contested pass we get to wait 90 seconds for the review..... I can hardly wait. 

Hail Marys will be challenged every single time...... Lots of 1st and goals from the 1 with an un-timed down. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024371/article/owners-make-pass-interference-noncalls-reviewable

The NFL owners voted on Tuesday evening to approve a rule proposal that allows for offensive and defensive pass interference, including non-calls, to be subject to review.

Coaches can challenge those calls in the first 28 minutes of each half. In the final two minutes of each half, those calls will be subject to a booth review.

This rule change is only for the 2019 season.

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

Hail Marys will be challenged every single time...... Lots of 1st and goals from the 1 with an un-timed down. 

So it takes a challenge except inside 2 minutes when the booth can step in???

Doesn't sound like mush more of a delay to me...

2nd rule added was.. #2. The NFL expands* protection to a defenseless player.. 4XBg.gif                                 Does this include when your quarterback slides.Gets earholed.Than is called a runner and it's ok to get earholed?  3BY.gif           

32 minutes ago, Orion said:

It may slow the game even more, but it seems like the right thing to do.

I'm sure coaches aren't going to get unlimited challenges, and I saw where two minutes left- it all goes upstairs to the booth.  

They had to do something, because that blown call in all likelihood cost the Saints a trip to the Super Bowl.  

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Doesn't sound like mush more of a delay to me...

Per the letter of the rule book, there is defensive PI on every single Hail Mary..... always has been.

Now we get to see if some faceless official in New York calls it...... Sounds super fun. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Doesn't sound like much more of a delay to me...

Coaches aren't going to get unlimited challenges. Maybe one more per half, so you had better be sure it was a bum call before you throw the flag and lose one of your timeouts.... 

23 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Per the letter of the rule book, there is defensive PI on every single Hail Mary..... always has been.

Now we get to see if some faceless official in New York calls it...... Sounds super fun. 

I doubt it's going to go down like that. Unless a offensive player with a clear shot to catch the ball absolutely gets tackled, it's going to be a no-call from the booth. 

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

So the owners voted to have offensive and defensive pass interference as a part of the reply system. So now on every contested pass we get to wait 90 seconds for the review..... I can hardly wait. 

You're overreacting.... 

From what I just heard on Sportscenter, coaches won't get more challenges, they just now have something else they can challenge. 

So in theory this rule change shouldn't add time to the game. 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

It may slow the game even more, but it seems like the right thing to do.

It doesn't have to.  They have so many built in commercial breaks...THAT is what slows the game down. They would just use one of those commercial breaks while the review is being performed. 

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm sure coaches aren't going to get unlimited challenges, and I saw where two minutes left- it all goes upstairs to the booth.  

They had to do something, because that blown call in all likelihood cost the Saints a trip to the Super Bowl.  

I think it was only 2.  (are these on top of the ones they have now?)

11 hours ago, D Bone said:

But there may also be offensive PI on ever Hail Mary.   Remember, this rule CAN apply to offensive PI....and there is a lot of pushing off going on on a lot of pass plays.

Teams should get 2 old school challenge flags and 2 penalty challenge flags.

A 3rd of each if winning the first 2. The game might be slowed down but it beats the results being compromised 

It’s funny how us Browns fans felt the wraith of how incompentent the officiating was last year early on in the year

32 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But there may also be offensive PI on ever Hail Mary.   Remember, this rule CAN apply to offensive PI....and there is a lot of pushing off going on on a lot of pass plays.

Yep, for sure. Now after the inc pass we all get to wait 90 seconds to see if it's 1st and goal from the 1, or the end of the half or game. I guess it will all depend on if the replay ref is the kind of person who would give you a ticket for speeding for going 57 in a 55, or if they would let you get away with 65 before even looking at you.

....... So when the Browns' DB goes up and knocks down that 4th and 13 pass and forces the game winning stop at their own 31 up by 4 with 48 seconds to go, and then the play is overturned because the DB actually did get there a millisecond too early when viewed from super slow mo replay, then I guess we'll revisit this thread.

Fuck it. Lets just review holding too..... 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

It doesn't have to.  They have so many built in commercial breaks...THAT is what slows the game down. They would just use one of those commercial breaks while the review is being performed. 

Anyone who's ever been to a game knows there's already plenty of stoppage for TV timeouts.

I've made my feelings known on this shitty rule change and won't beat this dead horse after this post, but I have a serious question for you to really think about......

We all know that this rule was because of the NFC Champ game.

Let's say instead of the egregious defensive PI that wasn't called, let's say is was a just an egregious non-holding call by the LT that wasn't called instead.... think full on WWE take down by the face mask kind of egregious .... Would this new rule have been passed? Of course not. I know it, and for God's sake you know it too.

Had Sean Payton ran the ball 3 times in a row after the 2 minute warning, then he and the Saints would've been in the Super Bowl and all of this crying about the refs, followed by this overreaction rule change would have never happened....... Too bad most can't even grasp that fact.  

OK, I'm done...... for now.

48 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Yep, for sure. Now after the inc pass we all get to wait 90 seconds to see if it's 1st and goal from the 1, or the end of the half or game. I guess it will all depend on if the replay ref is the kind of person who would give you a ticket for speeding for going 57 in a 55, or if they would let you get away with 65 before even looking at you.

....... So when the Browns' DB goes up and knocks down that 4th and 13 pass and forces the game winning stop at their own 31 up by 4 with 48 seconds to go, and then the play is overturned because the DB actually did get there a millisecond too early when viewed from super slow mo replay, then I guess we'll revisit this thread.

Fuck it. Lets just review holding too..... 

Said it before, you're overreacting. It's going to have to be flagrant before they're going to look at it. Chill out already. 

LOL, maybe take a look at the blatant missed false start that cost the Browns a TD and got a ref fired in the Chargers game while we're at it. :D

holy shit, way over reacting.  what is so hard to understand about the number of times a coach can challenge a play remains the same?  the way youre whining about "90 seconds every play" is just hyperbolic bullshit.  suck it up buttercup.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Anyone who's ever been to a game knows there's already plenty of stoppage for TV timeouts.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

I've made my feelings known on this shitty rule change and won't beat this dead horse after this post, but I have a serious question for you to really think about......

Let's say instead of the egregious defensive PI that wasn't called, let's say is was a just an egregious non-holding call by the LT that wasn't called instead.... think full on WWE take down by the face mask kind of egregious .... Would this new rule have been passed? Of course not. I know it, and for God's sake you know it too.

Had Sean Payton ran the ball 3 times in a row after the 2 minute warning, then he and the Saints would've been in the Super Bowl and all of this crying about the refs, followed by this overreaction rule change would have never happened....... Too bad most can't even grasp that fact.  

OK, I'm done...... for now.

I think you used the right word:  egregious.  I think the rule is to overturn egregious mistakes....and I think that is appropriate.

Then of course, the question is:  what is egregious?   There was a play in the Super Bowl....that could have, maybe should have been called PI at about the 2 yard line.   There was an arm bar by the defender, not called:

18 hours ago, D Bone said:

Ed Zachery... and it is that level of egregious non-call (or call) that will get challenged... including "pick plays".

We all know that there is one penalty that can be called on every play... holding. The only reason PI does not join this exclusive list is that not every play is a pass play.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ed Zachery... and it is that level of egregious non-call (or call) that will get challenged... including "pick plays".

We all know that there is one penalty that can be called on every play... holding. The only reason PI does not join this exclusive list is that not every play is a pass play.

RE: Holding. My brother played OL in high school, and we were watching the Super Bowl (can't remember which) when a Patriots pulling guard flat out tackled a guy- no call. We both couldn't believe it.

Regarding pick plays, IIRC Clemson won a National Championship courtesy of a blatant pick that didn't get called.

I'll have to remember to add the 3hr extension to the recording to make sure I get the whole game recorded..... That way I can just FF through all of the reviews on pass plays.

After the 4hr game is over, then I can log on here to watch people argue on whether or not all of the reviewed PI calls were egregious enough to be overturned or not...... sounds like a great way to spend my Sunday. 

Fuck it. Just remove all on field refs and review every play for any and all infractions..... yea, that should make Sean happy..... RUN THE BALL NEXT TIME SEAN.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

I'll have to remember to add the 3hr extension to the recording to make sure I get the whole game recorded..... That way I can just FF through all of the reviews on pass plays.

After the 4hr game is over, then I can log on here to watch people argue on whether or not all of the reviewed PI calls were egregious enough to be overturned or not...... sounds like a great way to spend my Sunday. 

Fuck it. Just remove all on field refs and review every play for any and all infractions..... yea, that should make Sean happy..... RUN THE BALL NEXT TIME SEAN.

It should not add one millisecond to the length of the game.  The number of challenges the coaches have is unchanged...so no extra time really should be spent.

The thing that has added time to games is simple:  more and longer commercial breaks. That is a fucking fact that will not likely change. They can pile some of their incessant commercials into the time for reviews....and not add any time to a game.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

They can pile some of their incessant commercials into the time for reviews...

They started doing this last season...

From what I've seen over the past few years, you could call PI on LOTS of pass plays.  (I used to play some QB, WR & DB)    I would tell Mrs. Wife, "Now how is that receiver supposed to catch that ball?  The DB had one of his arms hooked AND hit him before the ball got there.  (You know, not MUCH before the ball got there, but if you're being hit 'at all' before the ball gets there than many times your hands (or hand, if the DB lets you only have one) are no longer in the proper spot to catch the ball)

I would tell Mrs. Wife that, I guess they're throwing the DB's a little bone because the rules have been changed so much 'against' the defense.

17 hours ago, D Bone said:

Now you're just acting like a five year old.

If you paid any attention, the owners have made it clear hail Mary situations will require egregious contact. Also, the idea of saying "well the team should have done this!" Is so effin stupid. You know what should have happened? The refs should have called blatant pass interference. This new change corrects that problem. Bailing out terrible officiating is just a lazy argument.

Archived