THE BROWNS BOARD

Schedule-guessers have Browns headed to New England for Sunday night opener

Vambo

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/26861/schedule-guessers-have-the-browns-headed-to-new-england-for-sunday-night-opener

A grand opening in New England in 2019?

That's the buzz about the Cleveland Browns, as speculation that they would be the New England Patriots' opening-game opponent swirled soon after the NFL announced that the defending Super Bowl champions would open in Foxborough on Sunday night.

Of course, another possibility exists. This is the 50th season of Monday Night Football, and the teams that played in the first Monday night game were the Browns and Jets on Sept. 21, 1970 (Homer Jones returned a kickoff for a touchdown and Billy Andrews intercepted Joe Namath to seal the 31-21 Browns win). The Browns just happen to play at the Jets this season; a re-run of that game for the Monday night opener would make a lot of sense.

Regardless of who or where, the Browns check many of the boxes for prime-time games -- an up-and-coming team, big personalities, Odell Beckham Jr. and a young quarterback in Baker Mayfield who would be the perfect story foil to the Patriots' Tom Brady.

When it comes to the opener, New England also plays Dallas and Kansas City at home, so the Browns would not be a gimme pick. Even with all the optimism about the team's resurgence, the Browns did finish below .500 in 2018 (7-8-1), though that record included a 5-2 finish.

The Patriots would not be an easy draw for the Browns. New England has won the Super Bowl six times since 2001 -- a time when the Browns have largely flailed -- and have won their post-Super Bowl championship opener four of five times. But as tough as it would be to play in New England, it also would be a great opportunity.

"It is what it is," general manager John Dorsey said. "You're gonna play what the schedule makers deem. The NFL is hard. You play for the challenge that lies ahead."

That would not be the only possible prime-time appearance for the Browns. The possibility of Monday night against the Jets is real. Rumors have the Browns hosting a Thanksgiving night game, and being in prime time several times -- though the league limit for night games is five. Nothing will be confirmed until the NFL releases the schedule, likely in April.

The last time the Browns were on Sunday Night Football was September 2008, the only time the Browns have been on NBC's prime-time game. The last time they were on Monday Night Football came Nov. 30, 2015, the night of an infamous "kick-six" game -- when the Ravens blocked a game-winning field-goal try and returned it for a touchdown as time expired.

What games might attract prime-time kickoffs other than New England and the Jets?

Home and away games against division rivals Pittsburgh and Baltimore, home games against the Rams and Seahawks and road games at New England, San Francisco and Denver all would seem to have some level of interest.

"Cleveland Browns fans deserve that," Dorsey said. "If they get that, they deserve it."

2019 Schedule

• Records are from 2018
  •  
  Opp W L T W-L% SRS  
    123 131 2 .484 -0.3  
vs. Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 0 0.375 -3.4 Past Matchups
at Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 0 0.375 -3.4 Past Matchups
vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 9 6 1 0.594 5.6 Past Matchups
at Pittsburgh Steelers 9 6 1 0.594 5.6 Past Matchups
vs. Baltimore Ravens 10 6 0 0.625 7.0 Past Matchups
at Baltimore Ravens 10 6 0 0.625 7.0 Past Matchups
vs. Buffalo Bills 6 10 0 0.375 -6.9 Past Matchups
vs. Miami Dolphins 7 9 0 0.438 -8.8 Past Matchups
at New England Patriots 11 5 0 0.688 5.2 Past Matchups
at New York Jets 4 12 0 0.250 -7.8 Past Matchups
at Arizona Cardinals 3 13 0 0.188 -11.5 Past Matchups
vs. Los Angeles Rams 13 3 0 0.813 8.5 Past Matchups
vs. Seattle Seahawks 10 6 0 0.625 4.5 Past Matchups
at San Francisco 49ers 4 12 0 0.250 -5.5 Past Matchups
at Denver Broncos 6 10 0 0.375 -0.5 Past Matchups
vs. Tennessee Titans 9 7 0 0.563 0.2 Past Matchups

Since we have to play the Pats, it is far better to catch them early...

... but if we beat them in the league opener...

Already excessive expectations (IMO), would rise ten-fold... and that's not a good thing this early in our development.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I would like to see it be that Jets Monday night opener.

And that game would be on the road Gipper. My viewpoint- way to blow a potential away trip. If it happens, great. As I've said before, that's my claim to NFL history fame- I was at the first MNF game. 

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Already excessive expectations (IMO), would rise ten-fold... and that's not a good thing this early in our development.

Yeah- I'm still of the mind the Pats opener is going to be against the Chiefs....  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

2019 Schedule

• Records are from 2018
  •  
  Opp W L T W-L% SRS  
    123 131 2 .484 -0.3  
vs. Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 0 0.375 -3.4 Past Matchups
at Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 0 0.375 -3.4 Past Matchups
vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 9 6 1 0.594 5.6 Past Matchups
at Pittsburgh Steelers 9 6 1 0.594 5.6 Past Matchups
vs. Baltimore Ravens 10 6 0 0.625 7.0 Past Matchups
at Baltimore Ravens 10 6 0 0.625 7.0 Past Matchups
vs. Buffalo Bills 6 10 0 0.375 -6.9 Past Matchups
vs. Miami Dolphins 7 9 0 0.438 -8.8 Past Matchups
at New England Patriots 11 5 0 0.688 5.2 Past Matchups
at New York Jets 4 12 0 0.250 -7.8 Past Matchups
at Arizona Cardinals 3 13 0 0.188 -11.5 Past Matchups
vs. Los Angeles Rams 13 3 0 0.813 8.5 Past Matchups
vs. Seattle Seahawks 10 6 0 0.625 4.5 Past Matchups
at San Francisco 49ers 4 12 0 0.250 -5.5 Past Matchups
at Denver Broncos 6 10 0 0.375 -0.5 Past Matchups
vs. Tennessee Titans 9 7 0 0.563 0.2 Past Matchups

My guesses are the Patriots, Rams,and Jets will be the primetime games. (Steelers or Ravens are a possibility too) Cardinals and 49ers away are late games, and depending on how the Browns are doing at the time could well be national games.

No one is thinking about the main reason to hate it being a Sunday Night Game...

I work next day. 

Pass, lol. 

24 minutes ago, Nero said:

No one is thinking about the main reason to hate it being a Sunday Night Game...

I work next day. 

Pass, lol. 

If my consultation with the world time zone map is correct- a night game in USA prime time starts around 2AM in Spain. Howie and the Brits are one hour earlier.   

But for Cleveland fans who still have day jobs (I'm retired) going to a night game at the stadium means you're probably not going to get home from the game until 1AM or so local time. Sort of a potential problem there. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

If my consultation with the world time zone map is correct- a night game in USA prime time starts around 2AM in Spain. Howie and the Brits are one hour earlier.   

But for Cleveland fans who still have day jobs (I'm retired) going to a night game at the stadium means you're probably not going to get home from the game until 1AM or so local time. Sort of a potential problem there. 

Night games begin at 2:30 AM here, indeed. So it takes till 6AM... Worse than the Superbowl which ends 2 hours earlier. 

Anyway, thanks to that I'll remember forever the Jets-Browns of 2018 in a TNF. I was starting on a new job that Monday, so I could sleep all morning through that Friday, like my brother (who didn't have to attend college that morning, or missed it, don't remember). We both enjoyed being Browns' fans on an epic night, Tyrod getting booed and leaving the field injured, Mayfield starting with some flashes his career, the first victory of my team (many more to come), the change of the mood in an entire city... 

I was a Spaniard following an American sport a million miles away, watching it in the TV. In the middle of the night, with my brother. And we both can say this: what a night that was. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Conversely, what that would do for the confidence of the players and coaching staff would be huge. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

And that game would be on the road Gipper. My viewpoint- way to blow a potential away trip. If it happens, great. As I've said before, that's my claim to NFL history fame- I was at the first MNF game. 

Yeah- I'm still of the mind the Pats opener is going to be against the Chiefs....  

My guesses are the Patriots, Rams,and Jets will be the primetime games. (Steelers or Ravens are a possibility too) Cardinals and 49ers away are late games, and depending on how the Browns are doing at the time could well be national games.

To coincide with my travel objectives, I am hoping that the Cards game is scheduled for early December, because I would seriously consider going to it...and spending a week in a condo in Sedona either before or after that game.    2d option for that time of year would be SF near which I would have some travel destinations to see.  (but no condo for that trip).  Can;t really do Sept. or Oct. because I am already booked for travel at those times. (Missouri/Wyoming). I think I already mentioned this.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Makes sense... the NFL loves conference championship rematches to open the season.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I would like to see it be that Jets Monday night opener.

i guess am leaning here..OBJ torches Jets in farewell to Metlife Stadium crowd..Giants lose, Gettleman & Shurmur fired by sunrise...Week 1 😅 is in the books!! next..   

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

i guess am leaning here..OBJ torches Jets in farewell to Metlife Stadium crowd..Giants lose, Gettleman & Shurmur fired by sunrise...Week 1 😅 is in the books!! next..   

It even makes sense because the Jets and Giants can't play on the same day....so one of them has to have either a Mon/Thur. game, or play on the road.  Put the Browns/Jets on Monday night.

Archived