THE BROWNS BOARD

Our Skill Players

Orion

Lets face it, it's the skill players that makes your team go.  Where are we weak?  (listed in my own order of value)

----------

Baker Mayfield  6    QB    6-1    215    23    2    Oklahoma - Drew Stanton   5    QB    6-3    226    34    12    Michigan State

Odell Beckham Jr.  13    WR    5-11    198    26    6    LSU -  Jarvis Landry  80    WR    5-11    196    26    6    LSU -   Antonio Callaway  11    WR    5-11    200    22    2    Florida -  
Rashard Higgins  81    WR    6-1    198    24    4    Colorado State -  Derrick Willies  84    WR    6-4    207    24    2    Texas Tech
...............................(other wr's)  Damion Ratley  18    WR    6-2    200    23    2    Texas A&M  -  Ricardo Louis  15    WR    6-2    215    24    4    Auburn  -   Jaelen Strong  10    WR    6-2    220    25    4    Arizona State  -  Blake Jackson  12    WR    5-10    200    25    1    Mary Hardin-Baylor

Nick Chubb  24    RB    5-11    227    23    2    Georgia -  Kareem Hunt  RB    5-11    216    23    3    Toledo -   Duke Johnson Jr.  29    RB    5-9    210    25    5    Miami (Fla.) -  Dontrell Hilliard  25    RB    5-11    202    24    2    Tulane -  Devante Mays  42    RB    5-11    237    24    2    Utah State

David Njoku  85    TE    6-4    246    22    3    Miami (Fla.) -  Seth DeValve  87    TE    6-3    245    26    4    Princeton  -  Demetrius Harris  88    TE    6-7    230    27    6    Wisconsin-Milwaukee -   Pharaoh Brown  86    TE    6-6    258    24    2    Oregon

-------------

You could say we might be weak at b/u QB.  But losing a starting QB is almost always fatal to a team....and Nick Foles has landed a starting job.

Perhaps #2 pass catching TE.  DeValve hasn't shown much over his career to this point.

#2 RB could be an issue for the first half of the season, depending on what they do with Duke.

But other than that we're pretty well stocked now.  We actually HAVE some talent.  And I'm holding out hope that that Derick Willies guy is something special.  He flashed a time or two last season before getting hurt...and he's good and tall.  -  I'm thinking we'll be drafting defense.  DB's and LBers.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Where are we weak?

At this point we likely have to concentrate on some pieces on the defense.   LB,  DB.

1) young developing back-up QB that can get to PS such as Gardner Minshew? 2) can't count on Higgins not finding a deal. we may have a 4th without Higgins on the squad? 5th or 6th could be upgraded in this deep WR class. 3.) Devalve? can't trust a guy that can't stay on the field..

16 minutes ago, Orion said:

We tendered him right?  2nd round tender?

Dorsey put original round tender on Higgy..He'd make just over 2M sticking with us on the tender 1 year or if Dorsey see's a 5th rounder? he could be gone..seemed like a risk b4 the OBJ trade, now it depends on when the run of drafted WR's starts.. 

On 3/21/2019 at 8:50 PM, Orion said:

Lets face it, it's the skill players that makes your team go.  Where are we weak?  (listed in my own order of value)

You could say we might be weak at b/u QB.  But losing a starting QB is almost always fatal to a team....and Nick Foles has landed a starting job.

Perhaps #2 pass catching TE.  DeValve hasn't shown much over his career to this point.

#2 RB could be an issue for the first half of the season, depending on what they do with Duke.

But other than that we're pretty well stocked now.  We actually HAVE some talent.  And I'm holding out hope that that Derick Willies guy is something special.  He flashed a time or two last season before getting hurt...and he's good and tall.  -  I'm thinking we'll be drafting defense.  DB's and LBers.

Great stuff and spot on analysis Orion!  Like you, I see most of our draft going defense especially early on.

#2 TE: I remembered thinking if DeValve could ever stay healthier in the NFL than he could in college - we might have gotten a huge steal.  Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on that 3-4 years later so... I think Cajuste was also a former college WR turned TE that didn't quite pan out (played injured throughout camp) as well as Evan Moore (mostly due to concussion volumes). There's a some dual purpose TE prospects that intrigue me with mid-late round projection such as: Drew Sample 6'4"251 lbs Washington (summarized as 30 starts, exceptional blocker, above average hands), Josh Moreau LSU 6'4"250 lbs (Recent analysis - superior blocker, surprisingly it was his pass catching ability that impressed scouts during Senior Bowl week), Dax Raymond Utah State 6'4" 250 lbs (described as outstanding blocker and offensive threat) and Jace Sternberger Texas A&M 6"4" 250lbs (48 rec, 832 yards,10 TDs - possesses great mix of bock, catch and run skills as 1 of the more explosive TE prospects)...  Found these fellers in Lindy's Draft Guide and the height weight thing is quite the coincidence...

Oline/RG:  No better way for Dorsey to say "don't worry about it" for the temporary vacancy at RG than signing Bryan Witzmann from a playoff roster (2018 Bears) that started several games on it at RG. He's also previously started games at LG for Houston and KC.  We'll be tuning into the training camp/pre-season competition for the starting RG spot. Meanwhile, veteran RT Kendall Lamm joins us after starting 13 games for the Houston Texans in 2018.  RT is another training camp competition that intrigues me.   I can see us drafting an offensive lineman in round 4 or 5.

RB:  I think we'll be fine with Chubb, Duke and Hilliard over the 1st 8 weeks. Keep in mind, Duke got a raise/extension heading into last off season so there had to be a FO belief in him.   If not, the Rams reminded us late last year how easy it is to find reliable veteran help at RB. 

WR: This feels like the first time in ages I can say we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR.  I also liked what I saw in Willies not to mention there was a reason he made the team.  I love his catch radius as well as the size and length of stride he adds to our perimeter. 

Secondary: As we saw with the multiplicity of injuries to our CBs last year (inclusive of losing backups) - looking good on paper isn't always enough.  We could definitely use another quality corner.  We also need to replace a starter at Safety - although Derrick Kindred has starting experience in that spot. He should only get better as the help around him improves.  Depth is really needed at both Safety positions.  I definitely see us drafting DBs to challenge for starting spots, situational roles and depth

LB:  Huge need; and we could find a starter via trade, round 2 or trade-up.  Both Schobert and Kirksey were injured last year while Collins is gone.

DL: Starting line-up looks REAL good on paper.  That said, we really need to improve our depth at DT in a draft that seems loaded at the position. 

#2 TE...Agree re DeValve. The man can't stay on the field. Lots of prospects (as you pointed out, Tom) in the draft. We need one to catch AND block.

WR...Willies shows something, but I REALLY want to keep Higgins here.

LB...IMO, this is our biggest current need & I believe a trade is coming, but we'll just wait & see.

I'm anxious to see how this draft plays out & what moves Dorsey & crew do & don't make. I have a feeling he will watch for "droppers" & trade up when he thinks the time is right. These are only my opinions which ain't worth squat. One thing I AM sure of is that JD, Highsmith, Wolf et al know a hell of a lot more than any of us on this Board.

Mike

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

When your GM finds guys like Avery and Callaway in the later rounds, the draft process becomes way more relevant as lots of the will make an impact..

Finding guys in those round is not easy work.  I can't expect Dorsey to continue to have a high 'hit' rate in the bottom 4 rounds of the draft.  But I can hope. :)

Archived